Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thenap80
    • By thenap80 6th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    • 279Posts
    • 11Thanks
    thenap80
    URGENT ADVICE required - builder has made a bodge job of my bathroom refit.
    • 6th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    URGENT ADVICE required - builder has made a bodge job of my bathroom refit. 6th Mar 17 at 8:03 PM
    I hired a tradesman from a rated tradesman website to complete a bathroom refit on a place that I let out to a tenant. I only have one property that I let out which is one I used to live in and now live with my partner elsewhere.

Anyway, I wanted to refresh the bathroom so advertised the job on the website and a company came round, measured up and quoted.

Accepting their quote for labour, I paid for all other costs of tools and parts etc as the job went along. That was about £500 itself.

Anyway, not being on site as I live elsewhere I have only today gone to have a look at the finished refit. OH MY LORD....it is amateurish to say the least. Floor tiles are not all level - one is slightly raised; tiling spaces are uneven; new ventilation leads outside onto external wall but basically onto underside of bottom of roof and gutter (only half of vents are exposed to outside properly); grouting is slapdash...

You really need to see it. I wish I could post pictures on here, of which I have taken a few as evidence.

I decided to pay him £700 a couple of days ago as he told me had finished the work and had overheads to pay for. Following advice already sought on here, I gave him that and said I'd pay the balance once I had been to see the work for myself. The work is beyond a joke in my opinion. The guy and his mate is a fraud in my opinion. He told me he had done renovations before and lists on his account that he does them. His reviews were positive on the website.

NOW....where do I stand? I actually feel like getting the bathroom done from scratch by a reputable building company and just paying through the nose now. It was actually better before he got his mitts on it.

What kind of laws exist in this scenario? There were no signed contracts and other than me finding his details on the website, no deals were made from it. There is no way I feel comfortable paying him the 400 pounds balance. In fact I want my 700 pounds back. But then I'd still be at a loss due to all material costs paid, if I were to have it done again.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Page 3
    • Furts
    • By Furts 9th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    Furts
    As a decent human being who believes in decent standards of housing, decent standards of building and has worked on site to produce numerous decent Housing Association and Council homes ... threads like this almost drive me to despair.

Twisting the advertising strap line from 20 years ago "The Future Is Not Bright". It certainly is not "Orange". It is grim and worrying for many in the private rented sector.

Television programmes like "Landlords From Hell" spring to mind.
    • thenap80
    • By thenap80 10th Mar 17, 11:50 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    thenap80
    The tradesman took ages to complete whcih is why I took a while to visit for a second time to to see final product - he said he could ot find the soil pipe needed in stock anywhere as it was an old design. Then he took ages to what he says order it and return to fit it. SO he hadn't actually finished the job. When he had, I went round within days. The day he finished and left, my tenant immediately called me with her concern about carpet.

I asked chap to return and clean carpet. He did so and so I paid him 700 before going round 3 days later to look at bathroom which is when I saw it to be absolute rubbish.

The only reused thing was the shower screen and shower unit. EVERYTHING ELSE - new - or at least that is what I was led to believe - now not so sure!

I appreciate the advice on here but please don't jump to conclusions. The bathroom before was actually not to bad. But being nice, I decided that I would modernise it for the tenant. I could have just left it. But I did not mind spending the money. I don't know what a reasonable price is. For labour at 1100 for a four day job, i thought that would have been the going rate and reasonable. Not too cheap not too dear.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 10th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    People will draw conclusions based on information you provide. We've got nothing else to go on.

If you paid for the materials, did you not ask for receipts? That would tell you what was new and what was recycled.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 10th Mar 17, 11:00 PM
    • 5,090 Posts
    • 2,950 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    What a bloody mess, the leaking wc can be sorted out but what you are going to do with the tiling goodness knows, I'd want a refund as well but I wouldn't hold my breath
    Last edited by southcoastrgi; 10-03-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 11th Mar 17, 9:13 AM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    Furts
    What a bloody mess, the leaking wc can be sorted out but what you are going to do with the tiling goodness knows, I'd want a refund as well but I wouldn't hold my breath
    Originally posted by southcoastrgi
    Nobody doubts this but with a little bit of TLC and common sense the room could be vastly improved. Just scrape back the projecting grout, put a bit more in where required, clean and reglaze the diabolical window, carefully bead some fresh sanitary silicone to the wall/ceiling and floor/wall junctions, remove the labels off the sanitary ware, clean behind the toilet, clean the window, and repaint it if it is timber (I have not checked to see), remove the grout splashes from the door ... and so on ... then give the room a proper clean.

None of this is incurring much expense nor time. So why not do it? The important thing here is to make the bathroom pleasant to use and think of the tenant. Here I sense OP falls short by a country mile.

Of course the extract vent is a bodge - but if it works the low cost answer is to leave it in place. Looking at the state of the soffits and render and it is apparent this poor standard of the extract matches the rest perfectly. Indeed, altering it now may cause/risk damaging the render. Certainly there is no Requirement for an extract so one cannot be over harsh about condemning it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,520Posts Today

7,932Users online

Martin's Twitter