Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 6th Mar 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,908Posts
    • 1,659Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    Fencing quote
    • 6th Mar 17, 6:41 PM
    Fencing quote 6th Mar 17 at 6:41 PM
    We need to have the fence line between ourselves and our neighbours replaced and we've agreed to split the cost.

The existing run of fencing is a mess of cheap lap fence panels that are falling apart. The first half of the run is set on what looks like a breeze block/concrete base wall fixed with brackets onto what I can only describe as scaffolding poles set into the ground. I have no idea why. The rest of the run is in concrete posts with concrete gravel boards however most of them aren't straight, some of them move and some of them are showing signs of deterioration and cracking.

Original plan had been to just have the poles removed and replaced with concrete posts and reuse the existing ones but I'm starting to think we'd get a better end result if we replaced the whole lot.

From house to rear boundary its a straight run of 17x 6ft bays - 16 full panel and one cut panel to finish the run, and at the end a 90 degree hand panel return to our garage wall. I make it 16 concrete intermediate posts, 2 end posts, 1 corner post, concrete gravel boards and 18 6ft x 5ft pressure treated close board panels.

I've had one quote so far which included removal of existing fencing and disposal of waste of £2800. Does that sound about right?

The best price I've managed to find from a local fencing supplier for just the materials is £1155 (that includes 38 bags of Postcrete from Wickes). Assuming the person I've had a quote from is getting materials for a similar price, that makes the labour + waste disposal costs approx. £100 per bay. It seems expensive, I'm tempted to try and do it myself (with neighbour's help).
Page 1
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 6th Mar 17, 11:26 PM
    • 2,641 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:26 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:26 PM
    Don't forget £200 for a skip. Then an element to allow for the unknown, nasty gremlins that'll crop up underground.

I'd be surprised if anyone was willing to do it much cheaper.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 21st Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    As it turned out, we got a third quote which came in at just over £2100 all in. Much more professional, got a proper written quote with 12 month guarantee on workmanship. Works out just shy of £120 per bay labour + materials which seems to line up with what I was expecting it to cost. Job will take between 2-3 days.

They showed me some examples of their work which looked really good - my neighbour wanted to know if they'd done anything locally that we could look at and they were happy to oblige having done a job just around the corner (and the two houses next door as well).

Neighbour confirmed the quality of workmanship, as did the person who they did the work for, so they've been booked in. 6 weeks until they are next free which I guess is also a good sign.

Just shows its always worth getting more quotes.
    • Allder93
    • By Allder93 4th Dec 17, 7:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Allder93
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:44 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:44 PM
    Being booked up is always a good thing, pricing really depending on your location, here in North East Essex the average price is around £100-£110 per bay INCLUDING labour, materials and VAT

i tried to add an image so you can get an idea or the quality of workmanship materials but it wouldn't let me.

Chris,
    EastCoastFencing.co.uk
    • kev25v6
    • By kev25v6 5th Dec 17, 8:42 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    kev25v6
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:42 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:42 PM
    Have the final panel extended instead of a short cut panel, looks loads better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin