Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hillwalker17
    • By Hillwalker17 6th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 56Posts
    • 82Thanks
    Hillwalker17
    Compulsive borrower to compulsive saver?
    • 6th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    Compulsive borrower to compulsive saver? 6th Mar 17 at 6:38 PM
    Hello MSE

I've been a visitor to this website for many years, but I've never signed up or posted. I'm hoping to turn my financial mess of a life around and I'm hoping this diary will help

I'm in my mid 20's, live with my partner is her house (she bought it because I had no money ) and I work in a decent job for about £2k a month.

My financial situation is a bit of a mess due to having past gambling issues (still not over) and spending stupid money on expensive cars/s. I've had numerous loans and credit cards over the years and have struggled financially the past 2 years paying everything off.

I have 3 loans and a credit card. I was on track to have they paid off by the end of the year, but circumstances have slightly changed and I just can't do it. I have applied for a £10k loan over 2 years so give myself some breathing space.

This £10k loan will pay off the 3 other loans and the credit card. I think the totals are about

Loan 1 - £3.6k
    Loan 2 - £3.4k
    Loan 3 - £1.2k
    Credit Card £1.4k

I've signed the documentation for the loan and hopefully the money should be in my account later this week.

My aims this week are to

1) Find out the exact balances of each loan and see how much of the £10k I will have left
    2) Pay off the old loans and credit card with the new loan money
    3) Build up an emergency £500 fund (cash so I can't gamble it away).
    4) Sort out my online gambling issue (I've relapsed recently ).

I've done ok for 2 years with both the money aspect and no gambling however 2017 has seen me place a few bets and loose quite a bit of money. This was me being stupid and careless. I will sort this out by reading again (hobby) and making sure I do other things when i'm bored.

I've seen people post an statement of their income/outgoings. I will do this once this weeks tasks have been completed and it will hopefully put me back in the green with my monthly accounts

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I have no savings either

All the best

HW17
Page 4
    • Hillwalker17
    • By Hillwalker17 18th Apr 17, 8:56 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Hillwalker17
    Hi Everyone. Today marks 34 days

The Mrs and I signed up for new broadband a few weeks ago but now were in dispute with them about the price. We thought we got it for £25.99 but the discount was not applied and they are charging us £40.99. I'm expecting a fight on the phone tomorrow when they call me.

Anyway, no spends over the last few days thankfully. Still got that £20 ish in bank 2 which has to last me. At least it will be nearer to payday once this week has passed. Work have arranged a day out in the pub next Saturday, but that's when i'm away so i'm glad as it would have cost me even more money.

I checked bank 1 and loan 2 came out at £285, leaving me with £745. I only have car insurance left to come out now which is good.

I'm feeling tired after a hard day in the office. I'm away to read the final few chapters in my book before bed.

I hope everyone is well

HW17
    Ex Gambling Addict - Last bet made on 15/03/2017 - 29 Days
    Slowly building an emergency fund - £1000/£6000
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 18th Apr 17, 9:10 PM
    • 3,526 Posts
    • 19,866 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Well done, Hillwalker, for sticking at it. 34 days is brilliant

I hope you get your broadband situation sorted. I recently switched providers from BT to Plusnet. So far so good. Cheaper and more reliable. I know Plusnet is part of BT so I'm surprised there has been such an improvement

What are you reading at the moment? I love crime novels myself but am currently having a spell reading biographies. They have to be of people I'm really interested in, be very well-written and what I'd call a 'good read'. I've given up on no end of them in the past because although the subject was of great interest to me the book itself was as dry as dust and more like an academic tome. I like to be educated but I need to be entertained at the same time. I've recently read a great one about Dusty Springfield, whose music I've always been a big fan of. I also read a fascinating one about Madame Tussaud (of the waxworks fame). What a life she led in French Revolution days! The next in line is about John Christie (of Rillington Place fame/infamy). Really looking forward to that one. Biography and crime combined. Couldn't be better.

I feel sorry for people who don't read. I feel bereft if I haven't a book 'on the go'. I much prefer getting lost in a book to watching TV or films.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 18-04-2017 at 9:18 PM.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Mar: £922.23. Apr: £312.79
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £1200.00/£3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : £31743. Balance: £25061
    • Hillwalker17
    • By Hillwalker17 23rd Apr 17, 8:18 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Hillwalker17
    Hi Guys

Still rocking and rolling - day 39.

The BT situation isn't resolving and they are telling us that we have to pay £40 a month for the next year as its what we signed up for. Were not happy about it but i'll see how much complaining I can do..

I just finished a crime book by Mark Billingham and I have moved on to a sports book at the moment. I intend to go back to the crime books and finish the DI Tom Thorne series as it is very good.

I'm not really an auto biography person but I might give them a go at some point. I suppose its like anything, give it a try before you rule it out.

Spent £4 yesterday at the local shop for some snacks for going to a friends house last night so I have less than £20 until the end of the month. As its the 24th tomorrow that's fine as payday should be next Friday.

I'm hoping i'll get last months extra hours in this wage as I could do with buying some holiday money for when i'm away and for replacing the £40 I took out of the emergency fund.

Hope you all managed to buy the reduced easter eggs that tesco/asda were selling

HW17
    Ex Gambling Addict - Last bet made on 15/03/2017 - 29 Days
    Slowly building an emergency fund - £1000/£6000
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 24th Apr 17, 6:55 AM
    • 3,526 Posts
    • 19,866 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Brilliant, Hillwalker, day 39 (well, day 40 by now)

I keep intending to read something by Mark Billingham but never seem to find one at the charity shop

It's biographies I like to read, not autobiographies. Real biographies tend to have had a lot of research done prior to writing (hence why some read like academic books) whereas autobiographies or memoirs tend to just be an excuse for the writers to 'big themselves up'. A bit of a sweeping statement but it's been my experience anyway so I never bother with autobiographies now.

I'm fairly new to reading biographies as I always preferred fiction (and still do). I picked one up from a charity shop a while ago and can't recall where I put it. I never saw it again after I brought it home. It's a biography of the Scandinavian author, Stig something or other, (the one who wrote The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo etc) who died young.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Mar: £922.23. Apr: £312.79
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £1200.00/£3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : £31743. Balance: £25061
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 24th Apr 17, 8:57 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    It's a biography of the Scandinavian author, Stig something or other, (the one who wrote The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo etc) who died young.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Stieg Larrson? (I had to look her up )

40 days is great Hillwalker. Very MS

Sorry to hear about the BT stuff: is there any vague chance you are eligible for a cooling off period? And whatever they think you signed up for, clearly that wasn't what you thought you were getting, so surely there must be some sort of 'I clicked the wrong button' escape route? Or am I being naïve?
    30 days in April...
    NSDs 6/10, Exercise 8/15, Food spends 60.98 + Internet shop /160.00
    • LadyP01
    • By LadyP01 24th Apr 17, 10:19 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    LadyP01
    Hi hillwalker, just wanted to say your doing amazingly, iv been reading since the begining and then i lost you... So glad iv found your thread again and been able to catch up with your progress. Nice touch with the table i thought that was really sweet.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,725Posts Today

8,652Users online

Martin's Twitter