Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • JamesClarke
    • By JamesClarke 6th Mar 17, 5:43 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Forces Help To Buy and Letting
    • #1
    • 6th Mar 17, 5:43 PM
    Forces Help To Buy and Letting 6th Mar 17 at 5:43 PM
    Whilst in training we had a talk from a guy who told me I could use FHTB towards a property that I intend to let. I spoke to my lender and they have agreed to give me a residential mortgage on a property with a 'consent to let' agreement. I'm in the process of booking viewings for properties and stumbled on an article telling me FHTB can not be used for buy to let purposes.

    Can anyone confirm wether or not I can apply for FHTB if my intention is to rent the property out and if not is there any work around? I don't want to do anything dodgy or illegal but since my mortgage will be residential with a consent to let agreement (not buy to let) does this make any difference? Would it make a difference if I was to live in the property for a while then let it out to public later down the line?
Page 1
    • stephenni1971
    • By stephenni1971 13th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 871 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • #2
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    Who was the guy who told you?
    I am a Financial Adviser specialising in Mortgages, Protection, Health and Medical Insurance. I also write wills. All information posted on this site is for discussion only, and should not be taken as advice.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 13th Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    You can't buy a house as a rental property but you can buy at your current location under FHTB andit if you have to move due to a posting you can then let it subject to consent to let.

    Covered in Nationwides guide to FHTB.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,592Posts Today

7,083Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

  • RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

  • Off to Torremolinos? I'm filming my roadshow there next Fri 28th during the day then in Branigans at 5pm. Want to come? Let @itvmlshow know

  • Follow Martin