Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 6th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    0 WOW
    Cheap airport lounge access
    • 6th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap airport lounge access 6th Mar 17 at 4:10 PM

Hi folks

We've written a new Cheap Airport Lounge Access guide and would love your feedback on your top lounges as well as any other tips you've got to get in free or cheaply. The lounges to avoid would also be helpful!

Thank you

MSE Sally
Page 3
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 26th May 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Hello everyone,

Here's 2 tips: there's a 25% discount off all 3 Priority Pass subscriptions here:

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/campaigns/ldn/keyword/anniversary?sourcecode=LON25YTAG&currency=GBP

If you go to TopCashback first you'll get a further 10.5% off.

Regarding what food and drinks are and aren't included in all lounges, the golden rule of thumb is that anything on a menu is to be paid for.

You will also find the quality of these lounges to be generally far lower than the ones you can access with a flight ticket where nothing needs to be paid for, period.

In my opinion, the access to a comfy seat where I can work or sleep, washing facilities and free food and drink on demand are absolutely worth the money, particularly for long haul.
    Originally posted by jlfrs
    Plenty of things on the menu in the MAN pay to enter lounges that are included in the cost. Also no washing facilities, well no more than you get if you don't use a lounge lol.
    • Pedrobandito
    • By Pedrobandito 31st May 17, 11:56 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Pedrobandito
    I'm flying to the US in October are the lounges at Gatwick worth using?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 31st May 17, 12:50 PM
    • 17,861 Posts
    • 7,278 Thanks
    richardw
    I'm flying to the US in October are the lounges at Gatwick worth using?
    Originally posted by Pedrobandito
    North or South Terminal?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Pedrobandito
    • By Pedrobandito 31st May 17, 3:10 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Pedrobandito
    Oh yea, that would be helpful wouldn't it. Doh!

North
    • richardw
    • By richardw 31st May 17, 3:59 PM
    • 17,861 Posts
    • 7,278 Thanks
    richardw
    The No.1 lounge is good, but can get crowded at peak morning periods. If you like some alcoholic drinks before the flight and can get a discount off the standard price, go for it.

Restaurants can have good views.
    Last edited by richardw; 31-05-2017 at 4:03 PM.
    • nonos05
    • By nonos05 1st Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    nonos05
    Airport lounge pass with Amex express Gold rewards
    Apply for the Amex Gold Rewards card (fee waived for the first year and £11 cashback on Quidco) It comes with 2 free passes issued by Lounge Club.

There after you are supposed to get charged £15 each time you use it (billed to your Amex account) but we have used ours 14 times(7x2 pax) and never been charged
    Originally posted by stoneman
    Hello

Just wanted to check, have you still not got billed by Amex Express for using airport lounges .

Cheers
    • Obiwan kinobe
    • By Obiwan kinobe 12th Jul 17, 8:17 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Obiwan kinobe
    lounge access via Gourmet card.
    Hi , all... If like me you get a gourmet card each year, I get mine for free thru my bank (Lloyds ) then it now allows you to get discounts on lounge passes (as many as you like )via the card that has teamed up with #1 lounges .
    It costs £18 for the lounge access - South Terminal @ Gatwick. there are several to choose from. I usually plan to get to the lounge 2-3 hours before my flight to get the most benefit from the lounge.
    You can easily spend that ( at typical inflated Airport prices.) and you get some peace and quiet and free magazines/ internet access..
    • sheilalewitt
    • By sheilalewitt 12th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sheilalewitt
    Has anyone used the No1 lounge at Birmingham airport between 7-9pm? Is it likely to have the tail ends of the food left? we are thinking of going next week .I have used it in the middle of the day and enjoyed it, but wondered what it was like in the evening?
    • spikeyman
    • By spikeyman 12th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    spikeyman
    Lounges and children
    Be very careful with the lounges, they all charge full price for a 12 year old and upwards

Since when has a 12 year old been an adult, oh of course when companies want to make more money and rip people off

Aspire and NO1 lounges are sharks.

When asked why when children can only have soft drinks and food, no explanation provided just said it was policy for 12 year olds and upwards to pay full adult ticket price.

Not from us they won't refuse to line their pockets and profits, and, when reading the reviews sounds like we are not missing out on much. Rather pay the £60 or more to a good restaurant at the airport.

Children are children until the reach 16 at least.
    Makes the world go around eh...
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 17,861 Posts
    • 7,278 Thanks
    richardw
    ..Children are children until the reach 16 at least...
    Originally posted by spikeyman
    Nope, they stuff themselves with lots of food and drink and cost lounges more than adults who just have a reasonable consumption.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 12,402 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Has anyone used the No1 lounge at Birmingham airport between 7-9pm? Is it likely to have the tail ends of the food left? we are thinking of going next week .I have used it in the middle of the day and enjoyed it, but wondered what it was like in the evening?
    Originally posted by sheilalewitt

That lounge seems to be rammed most of the time now.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 17th Jul 17, 8:57 AM
    • 6,192 Posts
    • 3,232 Thanks
    chattychappy
    I've seen many people try to blag access to lounges. Never seen it work. I suppose the exception is where somebody has pitched up and there is a more minor irregularity - eg a FF card just expired, or on one occasion a group of 5 where there were two gold FF cards which allowed a single extra guest (ie 2x2=4) and a sliver which allowed no access.

For a long time I had the "top" status with an airline which allowed me to take in two guests and this was regardless of flights being taken. I always travelled alone so rarely needed this. But if I saw far flung brits I'd always proactively offer to take them in. I remember an elderly couple who said it had made their trip - this was a lounge that had proper waiter service and a spa.

So I'd suggest that if you spot a lone traveller with a FF card (perhaps at check-in) then be cheeky. Ask them if they have and spare lounge access and if they will get you in. (Eg gold star alliance allows you to invite one extra person in.)
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 18th Jul 17, 11:02 AM
    • 5,339 Posts
    • 6,059 Thanks
    malkie76
    So I'd suggest that if you spot a lone traveller with a FF card (perhaps at check-in) then be cheeky. Ask them if they have and spare lounge access and if they will get you in. (Eg gold star alliance allows you to invite one extra person in.)
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    Please don't follow this advice - it's really cringe-worthy.
    Legal team on standby
    • Pedrobandito
    • By Pedrobandito 20th Jul 17, 2:03 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Pedrobandito
    Has anyone used the My Lounge at Gatwick North? Just seen its £13.50 so was thinking even if its rubbish I would probably spend that on a few drinks before I fly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,229Posts Today

7,301Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin