Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 6th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 2,117Posts
    • 669Thanks
    anniecave
    smart meters
    • 6th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    smart meters 6th Mar 17 at 12:02 PM
    Does anyone know what generation/type of smart meter are currently being installed in homes at the moment?

I know the first batch are supplier specific as per the article below, but that is planned to change, will we hear when that is the case?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2016/12/22/smart-meter-stopped-working-its-probably-because-you-switched/

I have received a message saying Siemens are installing smart meters in my area (West Midlands) on behalf of my supplier and I thought I'd check whether anyone knows ?
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 6th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 15,873 Posts
    • 10,078 Thanks
    molerat
    • 6th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    Still the old SMETS1 standard. The new transferable ones are not due out until later this year. Some of the old ones may be upgradeable at a later date.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 3,402 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 6th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    Still the old SMETS1 standard. The new transferable ones are not due out until later this year. Some of the old ones may be upgradeable at a later date.
    Originally posted by molerat
    From November 2017 onwards. At the moment, suppliers are allowed to count SMETS1 meters against their SMETS2 rollout target.

There are no plans to upgrade SMETS1 meters. There is an ongoing consultation to see how these meters can be 'grafted' on to the DCC by 2020 via a separate communications link.
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 6th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    • 6th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    Will SMETS2 include 3 phase electricity meters? BG were unable to install smart meters for me as our house has 3 phase supply!! (it's a domestic premises, not business!!).
    • MeterMan
    • By MeterMan 6th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    MeterMan
    • 6th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    Will SMETS2 include 3 phase electricity meters? BG were unable to install smart meters for me as our house has 3 phase supply!! (it's a domestic premises, not business!!).
    Originally posted by Chrishazle

If you run a 3phase meter then i believe smets2 wont have a 3phase smart meter from the start.

If you run a single phase meter from a 3phase supply then yes, the current meters work on this and I don't understand why you've been told no.
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 6th Mar 17, 4:26 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    anniecave
    • 6th Mar 17, 4:26 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 4:26 PM
    Thanks for the replies - Siemens called me this afternoon and confirmed they are still installing the old (SMETS1) smart meters so that makes sense.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 6th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 6th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    I m a meter reader and I read a newly installed smart meter last week.I dont think its possible to tell from the outside if its the new SMETS2. From a source in the meter fitter department I understand that at least the BG mk2 smart meters installed with a "hub " instead of the earlier simcards can be upgraded fairly easily without exchanging the whole meter.
    • Asghar
    • By Asghar 6th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Asghar
    • 6th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    Does everyone have to have the new smart meter installed by 2020, is there an option to keep the old as is?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 3,402 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 6th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    Does everyone have to have the new smart meter installed by 2020, is there an option to keep the old as is?
    Originally posted by Asghar
    According to the Citizen's Advice, suppliers will have the legal right to fit smart meters when the existing meter has reached its end of life or is thought to be faulty. However, consumers can elect to have the meter fitted with the smart communications' facilities disabled.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 6th Mar 17, 6:40 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    House Martin
    There is not a cat in hells chance of that happening by 2020 even if smart meters were mandatory, which they are not..2030 is nearer the mark the speed that suppliers install them. Everyone definitely does not have to have one even if the suppliers fitter implies that, as some still do. As a meter reader I hear that quite often about fitters saying we all have to have them. I like them personally and they would cure many of the problems of supply which we all read about on here week in week out.
    I ve just read Hengus s comments. Makes sense, but the diehards wont trust the suppliers.They are paranoid enough not to want a smart meter so they won t believe its disabled and the many people engaged in the free energy game will not want one at any price. Warrants will have to be obtained to fit them.
    .I m finding more and more people nowadays will not open the door to me, they are in and look through the window, but they wont open the door to me so a meter fitter will also get short shrift.
    Last edited by House Martin; 06-03-2017 at 6:50 PM.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 6th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 5,190 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    Interesting article here https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/06/smart_meters_prove_dim/

Yet another reason not to rush to have one installed.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 6th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    House Martin
    Interesting article here https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/06/smart_meters_prove_dim/

Yet another reason not to rush to have one installed.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    Yet another reason not to believe rubbish "fake news " and "studies " from the foreign press. Not believable, not proved and should have no place on a UK forum. We all know the internet is flooded with lies. I dont think a bit of googling like that is worth putting on a money saving forum.
    • oxters
    • By oxters 7th Mar 17, 12:19 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    oxters
    Thank you Anniecave for that link which explains all.

This is nonsense on stilts, given that although the smart meters are free to consumers, in effect we are all paying for them through our bills.

BG installed my smart meters just a few weeks ago, and with my Energy Club Switch to EDF, they tell me they will be installing replacement EDF meters at some point. If they are not switch compatible, presumably we may be on our third set of smart meters in a year or so.

Please tell me that the government official who signed off on this crazy scheme has not been promoted. Money saving my a**e.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 9th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 10,082 Posts
    • 9,202 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    This whole thing is turning into a classic Government farce. The other issue is the skill and professionalism of some of those fitting them. Training centres re up to their old tricks of advertising fantastic wages to become a smart meter fitter if only you pay thousands for their courses.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • gilbert67
    • By gilbert67 10th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gilbert67
    I have read a report in the Telegraph that research shows that LED bulbs can cause smart meters to over read.
    Does anybody know if their is any foundation to this story?
    First Utility are offering to upgrade my meter to smart ,I was originally in favour but after reading the article I am starting to have doubts.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 10th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    House Martin
    I have read a report in the Telegraph that research shows that LED bulbs can cause smart meters to over read.
    Does anybody know if their is any foundation to this story?
    First Utility are offering to upgrade my meter to smart ,I was originally in favour but after reading the article I am starting to have doubts.
    Originally posted by gilbert67
    "research shows " ! that article referred to electronic meters in general not just "smart meters ". All new electric meters fitted in the last 10 years are electronic and many gas meters too. No reports of over reading of electronic meters by LEDs as far as I know .Its just the usual anti smart guff .The newspapers jump on this to fill up space
    Last edited by House Martin; 10-03-2017 at 8:05 PM.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 16th Mar 17, 9:37 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    uk1
    I read fairly regular reports that some smart meter users believe that the meters are inaccurate. Is this true?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,869Posts Today

10,154Users online

Martin's Twitter