Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Baggiestan
    • By Baggiestan 6th Mar 17, 12:40 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Baggiestan
    Idem Servicing
    • 6th Mar 17, 12:40 PM
    Idem Servicing 6th Mar 17 at 12:40 PM
    Hi
    Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with full and final offers with Idem,i had seen that they always want 100% but i have got about 70% availiable.
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    Hi Baggiestan,

All you can do is put the proposal to them. Don't do this over the phone, keep everything in writing and keep a copy of it all. We have a sample letter that you can use to help - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Full-and-final-settlement-offers-%28sole-name%29.aspx

I do have to stress how important it is to get everything agreed in writing before you send any money. It is normally done on a case by case basis so try not to be discouraged if you have heard stories where an offer has been rejected.

Sometimes people start slightly lower than their maximum offer, so they can bump up the proposal to try and make a more amicable agreement to settle the debt.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 7th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 2,853 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    Had no luck at all with them, they were my only creditor that insisted (and got) the full amount
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 7th Mar 17, 7:32 PM
    • 10,468 Posts
    • 7,813 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 7th Mar 17, 7:32 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 7:32 PM
    I've done a search of this site and it does seem that they have a reputation for being awkward.

But I agree with Laura's advice.

What debt was this originally?
    • redux
    • By redux 8th Mar 17, 12:27 AM
    • 16,148 Posts
    • 19,505 Thanks
    redux
    • 8th Mar 17, 12:27 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 12:27 AM
    They are stubborn, but it is possible to get some movement, though it may take a while.

They used to deny they would accept less than 100%, but if someone insisted on making an offer it would have to be sent off to management somewhere, then come back rejected after a week or two.

Just to be awkward, they might say they didn't need an up to date declaration of income and expenses to accompany the offer, when the account holder volunteered to give one, then they would happen to mention it during the later conversation, as if that lack might be but not necessarily was the reason for the decline. Yes, that is how aggravating they can be.

A few months ago they changed their systems, so they said, and the ordinary cs team could enter the offer details and get an automatic decision immediately.

Not much use though. At that point there are probably 2 or 3 more rounds to go, like ask why the acceptable percentage is increasing with time, complain, marshall your case carefully, and make another offer. They come back, then again ...

I saw on some other forums that 65% seemed to be obtainable, and that is where the person I was helping managed to reach in the end. But it was weeks, compared to a few minutes on one phone call each with a couple of the other firms.

How stubborn you are willing to be in return might depend on the balance size - haggling the last 5 or 10% off a few thousand is worth more than off a few hundred. And counterbalancing that, letting things ride a few months in the hope of further improvement is losing the chance of a discount on the continuing regular payments.
    Last edited by redux; 08-03-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    • Baggiestan
    • By Baggiestan 13th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Baggiestan
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    Hi
    Thank you for all of the replies,not been on for a few days.
    Contacted Idem and true to form they insist on 100%,am i right in thinking that these companies don't pay a lot for these debts.
    I have currently approx 65% availiable for a settlement and as i am on a DMP with Stepchange would they have more luck than me in getting a settlement figure.
    • Baggiestan
    • By Baggiestan 13th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Baggiestan
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    Hi Fatbelly
    Original debt was for approx £5000 with MBNA,the debt was then moved to Moorgate and now onto Idem and currently stands at approx £1800,i can get about £1250 to clear debt as after 5years with stepchange this will be the final one to clear and we will be debt free.The current plan has 12 months left to run.
    • Baggiestan
    • By Baggiestan 13th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Baggiestan
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    Sorry forgot to add that when we started this process we had debts of over £22000 and thanks to all of the kind and helpful people on this site we are nearing the end of this journey.
    Thank you to all the contributors.
    • pbsmiles
    • By pbsmiles 13th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    pbsmiles
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    I am waiting for them to come back to me at the moment i owe about £1500 to them but 38k across several creditors with a stepchange dmp which won't finish until 2057. Long story, be interesting if they just want full amount as they are risking me being 94 before i pay them hahaha, laughable really.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

380Posts Today

4,934Users online

Martin's Twitter