Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • saker75
    • By saker75 6th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 211Posts
    • 219Thanks
    saker75
    Can't be bothered "money saving"
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    Can't be bothered "money saving" 6th Mar 17 at 11:58 AM
    I've used this site and associated emails for several years. I have switched every utility, bank accounts, insurances, used topcashback et al and am utterly fed up with it all.

Things are never smooth. Changing from British Gas to Ovo saw me with 4 months where electricity was with BG and gas with Ovo, over-payments made, underpayments charged for.

Bank Switch guarantees not followed through - my pet insurance appeared on my new bank account but was never activated - money never taken (insurance then cancelled and pet without cover).

Not switching will see me paying more but I've had enough. Life is too short to endure that hassle all the time.

(Yes, I've just turned middle-aged!)
Page 2
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 7th Mar 17, 2:15 PM
    • 21,336 Posts
    • 54,408 Thanks
    pollypenny
    We switched to Nationwide from HSBC, after 50 years, as we felt that they were exploiting us. The days of the friendly bank manager in the cupboard (hello, Mr Roberts) are long gone.

That went very smoothly and we had £50 cash back.

I do comparisons for our insurances every year, as we felt that Halifax took advantage of mortgagees in the days when we were obliged to insure with them.

Thinking about an utilities switch now. Your posts are putting me off though.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 7th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    • 7,065 Posts
    • 12,250 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    I'd switch utility providers as my current lot aren't very good at customer service, seldom answering emails; but I can't really be bothered as they also supply my broadband and I don't want to change that.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • saker75
    • By saker75 7th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    saker75
    Don't get me wrong. I have changed everything left, right and centre. I could say that I have saved hundreds too but nothing has ever been smooth. We shouldn't need to have to constantly chase deals - a whole industry is now built up around us doing just that.
    • tensandunits
    • By tensandunits 7th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    tensandunits
    Broadband - I cannot be without the internet for 24 hours.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I love to come off the net from time to time. It reminds me a bit of what life used to be like. (better in many ways!)
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 7th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 6,484 Posts
    • 16,786 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I'm the MSE one in the house, and it's my income that pays the utilities, mortgage etc, so I do stomp on gas & electric & insurance.

The idea of being broadband free even for a day gives me hives - i personally could probably cope (iPhone addict) but the howl from the offspring & their father upbraiding me for interfering with their schoolwork? Life is too short.

I've changed banks once - and the resulting mess cost me a dashed good life insurance policy & very nearly my credit rating (til I left work early, went to the bank with my salary & took the needful in cash then made very certain all the DDs were settled in cash & set up ready to go correctly the month after). I'm assured it is all Far More Civilised Now - but I am not overly minded to test that unless there are thousands in it.

I concur with the viewpoint that some of all this hard MS work goes into then sitting back & enjoying it.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 7th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 2,199 Thanks
    ceredigion
    I/We have made several thousands playing with bank accounts and the 7 day switching service works well. That said would never dream of switching a account that is actually used.
    It is about time that the utility and broadband company's had the same system
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 7th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 6,077 Posts
    • 11,216 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I love to come off the net from time to time. It reminds me a bit of what life used to be like. (better in many ways!)
    Originally posted by tensandunits
    Not just for surfing. Streaming tv now
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Mar 17, 7:40 AM
    • 24,100 Posts
    • 86,209 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Welcome to MSE, Neil. Yes, my post isn't the ideal advert for those new to the site. Every time I have switched something hasn't quite worked. I'd had nasty red letters from utilities months after leaving them, I've had DDs not implemented.

The signing-up process takes little time. The sorting out the mess afterwards is not just time-consuming but exhausting - and expensive given non-geographic phone numbers.
    Originally posted by saker75
    I agree. The only time I switched energy providers, it caused me such a headache.

Not flushing the lavatory after you've used it is unsightly and very unhygienic. If one really is too tightfisted to flush the loo, you can get water dispersal bags to go inside the cistern, free of charge.
    Originally posted by tensandunits
    Well, if you live on your own, it doesn't matter!
    If I'm expecting visitors, though, it's different!

Oh don't even go there.
    Almost a whole day spent backwards & forwards between NPower, myself & my MIL - and this to change to a cheaper tariff with them being the same provider! Useless bunch.

That's a day out my life I will never get back.
    And all for under £3 a month saving.
    It cost me more than that in my time.

What really grates is ......... why should we have to?
    We should get loyalty rewards of cheaper prices, not get charged for loyalty.
    The whole system with all insurers, banks and energy providers stinks TBH.
    (Yes, I am approaching "Grumpy Old Man"-hood. )
    Originally posted by The Last Username
    I absolutely agree....why should we have to?
    At least with car insurance you get a no-claims bonus each year, so why can't we have loyalty discounts? That's the way to keep customers, not force them to keep switching.

And what's the cost of all this switching? There must be a cost to the providers that might be better put to keeping prices down.

Unless there's a really good reason, ie bad service or something, I really can't face the stress of switching.
    Besides, you don't really know what you're getting with a new one.

I recently had reason to be involved with nPower on behalf of someone; they're not my own providers. Their bills are very complicated, and trying to find out the various conversion/calorific value things from the website or the paper bills was extremely difficult. I actually had to get that info from a completely different site.
    Some of their workings were entered on the bills in a way that was difficult to understand.

It made me realise that my own provider does things more simply, so I won't be a customer of nPower, that's for sure!

Trouble is, you won't know until after you've switched!

Re-nationalise power, that's what I say.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 14th Mar 17, 9:18 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Penitent
    I actually switched broadband providers a couple of weeks ago. I've been with BT for a few years now and even though the prices were edging up, I was happy with the service, so I stuck with them. Went to renew my contract with them this year...they wanted £16 pcm for standard broadband, which is double what I paid last year, plus their line rental is dear and getting dearer despite their costs dropping. I politely declined and went elsewhere. It did mean doing without t'internet for a day, but my line rental and broadband for the coming year is costing less than BT's prepaid line rental for the year.

All these companies work so hard to get new customers, but they're hemorrhaging old customers. Seems like a bit of a false economy to me.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 24,100 Posts
    • 86,209 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I actually switched broadband providers a couple of weeks ago. I've been with BT for a few years now and even though the prices were edging up, I was happy with the service, so I stuck with them. Went to renew my contract with them this year...they wanted £16 pcm for standard broadband, which is double what I paid last year, plus their line rental is dear and getting dearer despite their costs dropping. I politely declined and went elsewhere. It did mean doing without t'internet for a day, but my line rental and broadband for the coming year is costing less than BT's prepaid line rental for the year.

All these companies work so hard to get new customers, but they're hemorrhaging old customers. Seems like a bit of a false economy to me.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Yes, it's a really strange ethos.

If they kept hold of their old customers with good service and keen pricing, they would get loads of recommendations, which would generate new custom.

Now that's an interesting new concept!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 14th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 6,836 Posts
    • 8,722 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Broadband - I cannot be without the internet for 24 hours.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I switched a couple of weeks ago and the internet was off for 10 minutes max
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,758Posts Today

7,315Users online

Martin's Twitter