Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • srisport
    • By srisport 6th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    • 167Posts
    • 18Thanks
    srisport
    0 WOW
    International Driving Permit - USA
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    0 WOW
    International Driving Permit - USA 6th Mar 17 at 11:36 AM
    Just reading Martins car hire tips and noticed this towards the bottom of the article.....

A quick search on this forum and not much has been said about them since 2015-ish...

Is it worth bothering with?

I will be driving in San-Francisco, Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

I will be contacting Alamo who I'm hiring with to check on their procedures for this kind of thing but thought it might be worth here as well.

Regards.
Page 1
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 6th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    • 7,002 Posts
    • 9,077 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    No, this all died a death a few weeks after being introduced several years ago, unless your driving licence is in a non-English language.
    I've hired cars in more than a dozen different states and never needed one.

https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • srisport
    • By srisport 6th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    srisport
    • 6th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    No, this all died a death a few weeks after being introduced several years ago, unless your driving licence is in a non-English language.
    I've hired cars in more than a dozen different states and never needed one.

https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Thank you for your quick response, I also read something along the lines of what you said with florida abolishing a law they tried introducing.

Ive also just phoned Alamo who confirmed that so long as a driving license is produced in English then an IDP is not required.

Regards.
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 7th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    • 7th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    Bit off topic but I always wondered how travel insurance might approach this should one be unfortunate enough to need to make a claim due to a traffic accident and not having an IDP when it is required.

We always get one but thats for driving in Thailand.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 7th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 7,002 Posts
    • 9,077 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    Bit off topic but I always wondered how travel insurance might approach this should one be unfortunate enough to need to make a claim due to a traffic accident and not having an IDP when it is required.

We always get one but thats for driving in Thailand.
    Originally posted by Heliflyguy
    Key phrase highlighted above.
    Not required for USA if your licence is in English, so not an issue.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Chaufeurse1956
    • By Chaufeurse1956 14th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Chaufeurse1956
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    Never fails to amaze me that MSE, and others, continues to pedal this rubbish about an IDP being necessary for the US, it isn't, it never actually was if ones driving licence is English written. The whole idea of an IDP is it translates a limited amount of languages into English. It was a faux pas Bill by Fl Gov Rick Scott early 2013 and was rescinded within weeks. We have friends from the Cz Republic, their dl's are written in Cz and English, they too don't waste money on an IDP.

Today an acquaintance was incorrectly advised by the Post Office they need an IDP at a cost of £9. Shame on the PO and other companies pedaling this BS charge to unsuspecting customers.

DVLA code, US law enforcement do not recognise our driving penalties a code is not required for US car hire! It may be for UK hire, but not for US.

Finally, the passport validity rule. No, you DO NOT require 6 month validity remaining on a UK citizen issued pp. UK citizens are members of the US CBP 'Six Month Club', you're pp can expire anytime post a US visit, be it a day or a week. Six Month Club, https://www.cbp.gov/document/bulletins/six-month-club-update

The requirement that a passport is valid for travel for six months beyond the holder’s stay in the United States is waived for certain nationalities, including British Citizens.

NOTE: The UK pp office will add up to 9 months validity when renewing a UK pp. If one doesn't hold a valid ESTA that option is open should they wish to pp renew early, then one will need to apply for ESTA. New pp = new ESTA application.

The above info can be confirmed by performing internet searches.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 14th Jul 17, 8:08 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:08 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:08 PM
    Never fails to amaze me that MSE, and others, continues to pedal this rubbish about an IDP being necessary for the US, it isn't, it never actually was if ones driving licence is English written. The whole idea of an IDP is it translates a limited amount of languages into English. It was a faux pas Bill by Fl Gov Rick Scott early 2013 and was rescinded within weeks. We have friends from the Cz Republic, their dl's are written in Cz and English, they too don't waste money on an IDP.

Today an acquaintance was incorrectly advised by the Post Office they need an IDP at a cost of £9. Shame on the PO and other companies pedaling this BS charge to unsuspecting customers.

DVLA code, US law enforcement do not recognise our driving penalties a code is not required for US car hire! It may be for UK hire, but not for US.

Finally, the passport validity rule. No, you DO NOT require 6 month validity remaining on a UK citizen issued pp. UK citizens are members of the US CBP 'Six Month Club', you're pp can expire anytime post a US visit, be it a day or a week. Six Month Club, https://www.cbp.gov/document/bulletins/six-month-club-update

The requirement that a passport is valid for travel for six months beyond the holder’s stay in the United States is waived for certain nationalities, including British Citizens.

NOTE: The UK pp office will add up to 9 months validity when renewing a UK pp. If one doesn't hold a valid ESTA that option is open should they wish to pp renew early, then one will need to apply for ESTA. New pp = new ESTA application.

The above info can be confirmed by performing internet searches.
    Originally posted by Chaufeurse1956
    IDP is £5.50
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

Country list; http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp-country-list

USA

J – IDP recommended as, in the event of an accident, some insurance companies will insist on seeing one. Additionally those licences which do not incorporate a photograph need to be accompanied by photographic proof of identity.

R – USA (Florida) compulsory IDP – 1 January 2013
    A law was introduced in Florida, USA, on 1 January 2013 requiring all persons who hold a licence issued outside of the US to carry an International Driving Permit along with their national driving licence.

The Governor of Florida repealed this law on 2 April 2013, however, car hire companies and insurance companies can impose their own terms and conditions so you should check with your intended hire/insurance company prior to travel or obtain an IDP as a precautionary measure.
    • Chaufeurse1956
    • By Chaufeurse1956 17th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Chaufeurse1956
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    IDP is not necessary for the USA, the PO and AA information is incorrect. When Gov Rick Scott set this Bill away Jan 2013 it was discovered it contravened the Geneva Convention, he very quickly rescinded within weeks, it was a huge faux pas on Scott's part. I was in the US during the process, Scott was left rather red faced.

An IDP is purely a document that translate a non-English driving licence into English. Again somebody is pedalling rubbish about car hire suppliers, if one looks into their T&Cs you will discover that most, if not all, state an IDP is not necessary, and as most car suppliers self insure they have no interest in IDP or that other chestnut, a DVLA code. We own a vehicle in SW Fl, our car insurance have no interest whatsoever in an IDP, their response was, 'what the heck is that?'. A UK international driving licence and passport is sufficient for any information a car insurance company requires.

There's copious amounts of information regarding this faux pas on the internet. We're Fl long stay visitors year on year and thoroughly researched, don't take my word for it, search for yourself, likely you'll discover the majority of sites claiming a Brit, holding an English driving licence, require IDP are the ones selling it.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 17th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    snip...............
    A UK international driving licence and passport is sufficient for any information a car insurance company requires. Snip......
    Do you mean a standard UK licence or is there a UK international licence?

I totally agree with everything you say but the topic of IDP is quite interesting to me at present due to the fact I was denied a car in the UAE recently after pre-booking with a UK based car rental agency. On arrival the rental company would not accept my 30 year old paper licence, maybe if I had an IDP it would have saved me a lot of inconvenience and stress
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Jul 17, 6:15 PM
    • 12,533 Posts
    • 8,027 Thanks
    photome
    I rent cars every year in the USA and have never had a IDP and I only have a UK Paper license ( in bits)
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 17th Jul 17, 6:20 PM
    • 18,204 Posts
    • 41,639 Thanks
    peachyprice

I totally agree with everything you say but the topic of IDP is quite interesting to me at present due to the fact I was denied a car in the UAE recently after pre-booking with a UK based car rental agency. On arrival the rental company would not accept my 30 year old paper licence, maybe if I had an IDP it would have saved me a lot of inconvenience and stress
    Originally posted by stevie11
    There is no such thing as a UK International licence
    I've always taken an IDP when hiring in UAE. It's the only place I've ever used one.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 17th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 3,513 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    I've hired a car in the USA MANY times and never been asked for this
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Jul 17, 6:38 PM
    • 12,403 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I've always taken an IDP when hiring in UAE. It's the only place I've ever used one.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    You used to need them with the old UK paper driving licences in non-English speaking countries.

I haven't used one in years.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 17th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    stevie11
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Just what I thought

Re UAE, since arriving home I have raised a complaint with the rental agency who have advised that an IDP was not required in UAE. Just makes my case more frustrating that my pre-booked rental with Budget denied me rental yet I went to the Hertz office next door and they accepted my 30 year old paper licence no problem.
    • Chaufeurse1956
    • By Chaufeurse1956 17th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Chaufeurse1956

Hi Steve - a UK driving licence is an international driving licence in that it allows you to drive whilst overseas.

I'm referring to an IDP being US superfluous, I haven't research re the UAE as we don't travel there but it does appear certain UAE areas may require an IDP should an official need to translate your English dl. Whilst US car hire suppliers accept the older style UK paper dl with passport for ID purposes I don't know if that applies in the UAE.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 17th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    stevie11
    Hi Steve - a UK driving licence is an international driving licence in that it allows you to drive whilst overseas.

I'm referring to an IDP being US superfluous, I haven't research re the UAE as we don't travel there but it does appear certain UAE areas may require an IDP should an official need to translate your English dl. Whilst US car hire suppliers accept the older style UK paper dl with passport for ID purposes I don't know if that applies in the UAE.
    Thanks Chaufeurse1956, I know what you mean. Refer to previous post on the UAE situation.
    • Chaufeurse1956
    • By Chaufeurse1956 17th Jul 17, 7:01 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Chaufeurse1956
    Thanks Chaufeurse1956, I know what you mean. Refer to previous post on the UAE situation.
    Saw your post after I'd replied Steve. That's utterly ridiculous that Budget refused and Herts didn't, talk about left hand/right hand!

Apologies, my shortened sentence of 'a UK international driving licence' confused some. My meaning; a full, not provisional, UK driving licence can be used when hiring a car internationally.
    Last edited by Chaufeurse1956; 17-07-2017 at 7:23 PM.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 17th Jul 17, 8:10 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    WAYT
    IDP is not necessary for the USA, the PO and AA information is incorrect. When Gov Rick Scott set this Bill away Jan 2013 it was discovered it contravened the Geneva Convention, he very quickly rescinded within weeks, it was a huge faux pas on Scott's part. I was in the US during the process, Scott was left rather red faced.

An IDP is purely a document that translate a non-English driving licence into English. Again somebody is pedalling rubbish about car hire suppliers, if one looks into their T&Cs you will discover that most, if not all, state an IDP is not necessary, and as most car suppliers self insure they have no interest in IDP or that other chestnut, a DVLA code. We own a vehicle in SW Fl, our car insurance have no interest whatsoever in an IDP, their response was, 'what the heck is that?'. A UK international driving licence and passport is sufficient for any information a car insurance company requires.

There's copious amounts of information regarding this faux pas on the internet. We're Fl long stay visitors year on year and thoroughly researched, don't take my word for it, search for yourself, likely you'll discover the majority of sites claiming a Brit, holding an English driving licence, require IDP are the ones selling it.
    No, it is not. The problem is that you do not appear to be able to comprehend what you are reading.
    It does not stated required. It states recommended and it also suggests that you check with your car hire/Insurance to be sure that it is not in their T&C.
    You also claimed that the PO charged £9. That information was wrong.

So it is understood that it is not required for driving in the USA.

I get your point, but don't overstate your case.
    • Chaufeurse1956
    • By Chaufeurse1956 17th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Chaufeurse1956
    No, it is not. The problem is that you do not appear to be able to comprehend what you are reading.
    It does not stated required. It states recommended and it also suggests that you check with your car hire/Insurance to be sure that it is not in their T&C.
    You also claimed that the PO charged £9. That information was wrong.

So it is understood that it is not required for driving in the USA.

I get your point, but don't overstate your case.
    Originally posted by WAYT
    I comprehend well enough. As for overstating my case, you didn't really expect no replies to your copy and pasting a 'recommended' sales pitch from companies selling IDP that instills concern for less informed travellers. Per acquaintance given the £9 PO quote, I'm aware it's incorrect, it required no further clarification in my post.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 18th Jul 17, 2:16 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    WAYT
    I comprehend well enough. As for overstating my case, you didn't really expect no replies to your copy and pasting a 'recommended' sales pitch from companies selling IDP that instills concern for less informed travellers. Per acquaintance given the £9 PO quote, I'm aware it's incorrect, it required no further clarification in my post.
    Sales pitch? You need to get that paranoia seen to.

If you are aware that the £9 that you quoted was incorrect, why did you not edit your post to show the correct figure?

That's my point, that you are willing to exaggerate and to mislead. That what I call overstating your case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,080Posts Today

4,769Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin