Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emmalambshank
    • By emmalambshank 6th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    emmalambshank
    Ebay advice please - suspect buyer lying
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    Ebay advice please - suspect buyer lying 6th Mar 17 at 11:08 AM
    So I sell my unwanted clothes on ebay like a lot of people - never had an issue.

I posted one item a couple of days late (my first mistake) but upgraded the postage to first class to compensate and apologised to the buyer who seemed to accept it. My second mistake was not tracking it.

A couple of days later he sent a rude message about it not being with him yet.

He's since been ruder (although nothing I can report) which is stressing me out, and has also opened a case wanting a refund. Because of his manner, I feel like even if he has received it by now, he's going to carry on with the refund just to stick a finger up at me.

I can't open a 'missing parcel' thing with Royal Mail until it's been missing for 10 days which will be 2 days after the case can be escalated to Ebay customer service, who will no doubt side with the buyer as all I have is proof of postage.

I spent literally an hour on the phone to ebay call centre at the end of last week and didn't really even then get the answer to my query.

So advice please on this question... If I refund him now to get the situation and stress done with, if it turns out that Royal Mail tell me if was delivered to him, am I likely to get my money back through an appeal? Or can I only appeal and revisit the issue if I wait until it's escalated and until Ebay force a refund out of me?
    What would you do? It's about £20 so not a life changing amount but still annoying.

Sorry for the essay, many thanks for any advice in advance
Page 2
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 6th Mar 17, 2:15 PM
    • 4,155 Posts
    • 3,587 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    I disagree with this bit. If the buyer is making fraudulent claims then Royal Mail need to know about it to do anything about it! They will soon realise somethings up if the buyer does this often, or indeed find a postman stealing mail.
    Originally posted by purple321
    Agree with this. It is not up to the OP to investigate whether it was delivered or not. If the buyer is telling them it has not turned up, then the buyer needs to act accordingly. The OP has no proof it was delivered and the buyer is lying. It could be a honest case of mail getting lost. If it isn't then it is up to Royal Mail to investigate.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 6th Mar 17, 2:39 PM
    • 14,792 Posts
    • 19,949 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    Have you checked this buyer's feedback? Has anyone left him any FB indicating that an item did not turn up?

You could always leave him positive FB saying "buyer paid quickly. Sorry it got lost in the post!".

That way, should he be a scammer, others would then have evidence of this happening before.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • thewrongtrousers
    • By thewrongtrousers 9th Mar 17, 6:15 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    thewrongtrousers
    I received a parcel last week that had been posted at a post office by standard mail. The postman scanned the code before handing it to me. I never post from a post office but perhaps someone else will know if the scanning of standard mail is in place at the moment (I know it's in place for business mail)? I threw the packaging away but had meant to look at it again.
    Originally posted by F&L
    Yes it's been around since last summer. The 'delivery confirmation' service is currently for Royal Mail 24 and 48 services (standard parcels for businesses). But this is only for business customers and doesn't include a signature, it is just a barcode and confirms the item has been delivered.
    Last edited by thewrongtrousers; 09-03-2017 at 6:17 PM.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Yes it's been around since last summer. The 'delivery confirmation' service is currently for Royal Mail 24 and 48 services (standard parcels for businesses). But this is only for business customers and doesn't include a signature, it is just a barcode and confirms the item has been delivered.
    Originally posted by thewrongtrousers
    It is available for those that register with Click and Drop too. Anyone can do that.

A signature isn't needed necessarily unless the item is over £750, in which case these services wouldn't be the right ones.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 9th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 2,842 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    It is available for those that register with Click and Drop too. Anyone can do that.
    Is it available yet on the postage label purchased through eBay?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Is it available yet on the postage label purchased through eBay?
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    I don't use Ebay postage as we are purely DMO so I don't know.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • thewrongtrousers
    • By thewrongtrousers 10th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    thewrongtrousers

A signature isn't needed necessarily unless the item is over £750, in which case these services wouldn't be the right ones.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup

Ah right, thanks, they must have added that later - when the rep called us they said it was business only - maybe he was just bigging it up.
    • in_the_Cotswolds
    • By in_the_Cotswolds 10th Mar 17, 10:14 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    in_the_Cotswolds
    If your parcel had a 2D barcode on it then it should have been scanned at the point of delivery. This applies to all parcels whether it was sent tracked, recorded etc.

• ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 11th Mar 17, 8:27 AM
    • 2,842 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    If your parcel had a 2D barcode on it then it should have been scanned at the point of delivery. This applies to all parcels whether it was sent tracked, recorded etc.
    You say that but member CUSTARDY says it's not planned yet for 2D barcoded franking machines.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Mar 17, 9:14 AM
    • 58,326 Posts
    • 41,271 Thanks
    soolin
    Originally posted by in_the_Cotswolds
    That is not the case, I queried this again yesterday as I do not have it on my business account, this is the official response from my RM business manager:

In terms of delivery confirmation this need to be activated assuming you are producing Barcoded labels via DMO

If you contact the DMO support team they will be able to advise how to go about this

If you are using PPi Labels then this service is not available
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Nesty
    • By Nesty 11th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Nesty
    One time years ago. I sold a PC RAM stick . The buyer was localish, so I posted it through the letterbox en route to work.

Low and behold a few days later. I get the I have not received my item.

Lucky, I did take a photo of the item outside the house with a current day newspaper in the shot. Then sealed the envelope and posted through letterbox.

That was my only back up.

It went to EBAY and I upoaded google earth snaps along with my photos to fully demonstrate I was there.
    EBAY sided with me as the seller which I wasn't expecting.

After that I never personal deliver now. Just pay the postage regardless and get proper recorded delivery. If you don't you are handing any transaction on a plate to a buyer and placing huge faith they will do the honourable in saying they receieved the item!
    Last edited by Nesty; 11-03-2017 at 2:32 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,156Posts Today

6,681Users online

Martin's Twitter