Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 6th Mar 17, 7:23 AM
    • 6,436Posts
    • 36,673Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 06/03
    • 6th Mar 17, 7:23 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 06/03 6th Mar 17 at 7:23 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £2874.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2839.06/Roadkill £8.58
    SFDs Sept 6/18 CC saved £2372.50 Veg grown £376.20
Page 9
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 12th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,666 Thanks
    angelpye
    Loving that tip Carrie! Will definitely keep that in mind for when I am back to weekly shopping and my budget means I don't need to shop for the discount by getting it delivered once a month. I am not bored yet but I have only done 1 week out of 8
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 36,673 Thanks
    determined new ms
    mostly I love cooking. I think I'm fairly good at it, can russle up quite a few meals, bake, snacks, love that I can create really delicious things for pence. But then sometimes I just cba! This will probably last about a week or 2 then I'll love it again
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £2874.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2839.06/Roadkill £8.58
    SFDs Sept 6/18 CC saved £2372.50 Veg grown £376.20
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 12th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 18,703 Thanks
    FatVonD
    CLFvTry your local garden centre for pallets, ours always have stacks of them they are happy for you to take away. In addition to the usual types they also have th smaller type with no gaps (much stronger) that paving slabs are delivered on. These were the type that I used to build my decking area.

I have been going full steam ahead all weekend and now I have run out of steam altogether

Yesterday I...

Sorted all the rubbish into recycling/rubbish bins and re bagged what needed re bagging (I forgot to put the wheelie bin out two weeks ago so it had been a month since the last collection )

Swept up all the leaves from the back garden and put in a black sack in a corner to break down.

Trimmed back last years grown on my peonie, lupin sand a potted salvia. The edging salvias haven't got as much growth yet as the pott d one so will leave those until next weekend. Only two of my three lupins have made it but I suspected that would be the case as one died back early last year. There is already snail slime on one of them so I transported the culprit out of the garden then put down some pellets.

Took a WBB package to the collection point.

Supermarket shop.

Collected a gorgeous black, calf length, M0nsoon boucle Cardigan/coat from a FB seller for £6

Did a couple of loads of washing.

Unblocked the sink using soda crystals instead of expensive sink unblocker.

Dropped DSGF to work.

Took my mum to the local H@rvester for dinner.

Collects DSGF from work.

Today I have...

Started a slow cooker spag Bol for dinner tonight.

Ironed some T shirts and DS's suit jacket which I washed in the washing machine.

Checked out the YS cabinet at Mr T (worth going later.)

Several more washing loads.

Dropped DSGF to work.

Cleaned the teens bedroom and changed bedding.

Bleached the loo and put rest f soda crystals don upstairs sinks.

Washed up all retrieved crockery and cutlery.

Rummaged through bedroom for stuffs for table top sale.

Still to do...

Haul my aris to the little Mr T (don't feel like it) for hopefully some bargains.

Cook spaghetti to go with sauce and grate some cheese.

That's it!
    Lunches brought to work in September 6/20 Money saved to date £13.07 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal.)

Make £10 a day in September £349.40/300 (August£223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 12th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,666 Thanks
    angelpye
    Wow! FVD...seems I had a really lazy day according to your list! Ha! Well done.

Evening all,

Managed my list. DD wasn't impressed about the room tidy but in all honesty she played a lot whilst I shifted things around, her excuse? 'building with my lego means less mess on the floor'...hmmmm, answer for everything that one. She did about half but it had got out of hand so I am happy with that. On the up side we identified quite a few things that she no longer wants so might see if I can sell them. Puzzles, books etc - a couple of the boxes are a little damaged but thinking if I put them as a bundle people might go for them?

Yummy dinner of meatballs (veggie for me) and film night followed so in all a very nice rainy day had by both of us.

Hope you all have a good evening
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    EF £0/£4200
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 23,955 Thanks
    allydowd
    A couple of Summers ago someone had fly-tipped a pallet in a ditch up on the hillside. I pulled off one planks, stuck my arm through the hole, hoiked it up on my shoulder and marched it home. You should've seen the look on my neighbours' faces as I carried it down the glen!
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £1700
    Survey Rewards 2017: £100
    Swim for Sanity: 4000m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 12th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 4,277 Posts
    • 34,538 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    HK just read your comments about the prom. The after-prom party is the best bit for our kids it seems, there is always a teenager who lives on a farm and can persuade their parents to allow the leavers to camp on their land and party all night. DS2 will probably want a hugely expensive designer suit.

I was persuaded to buy DS2 and his gf some chips. Plenty of perfectly good Li@l oven chips in the freezer but sometimes you have to give in to these things.

Early night, ready for the week ahead.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 8,475 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    FatVonD - good thought on the palettes. There are a few garden centres nearby. I'll def ask.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 12th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 18,703 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Wow! FVD...seems I had a really lazy day according to your list! Ha! Well done.

Evening all,

Managed my list. DD wasn't impressed about the room tidy but in all honesty she played a lot whilst I shifted things around, her excuse? 'building with my lego means less mess on the floor'...hmmmm, answer for everything that one. She did about half but it had got out of hand so I am happy with that. On the up side we identified quite a few things that she no longer wants so might see if I can sell them. Puzzles, books etc - a couple of the boxes are a little damaged but thinking if I put them as a bundle people might go for them?

Yummy dinner of meatballs (veggie for me) and film night followed so in all a very nice rainy day had by both of us.

Hope you all have a good evening
    Originally posted by angelpye
    To be fair that was two days in one post

How old is your DD? When my DS was small I had two long low shelves the width of his room and a large quantity of cheap washing up bowls with stickers on the front so I could just sit on the floor and throw Lego in one, Power Rangers in another etc etc!

It's not so easy now, it's all emptying ashtrays (yuk!) and festering food (though Lego still features prominently!)
    Lunches brought to work in September 6/20 Money saved to date £13.07 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal.)

Make £10 a day in September £349.40/300 (August£223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 12th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,666 Thanks
    angelpye
    I feel less lazy now but still a mighty list for the weekend!

My DD has a whole village set up in her room with buildings in construction...she would have a melt down if I put away all the pieces she spends so long picking out to make something. we have an agreement that if it stays within the limits of the village I will leave it alone I was looking at her room contemplating the storage I want to build when my schedule slows down which will include 'bins' for types of lego. Its just lego, books and puzzles in there really but not very clever storage.

Why are teens so gross with food? I lost 12 teaspoons in 3 months with eldest...don't think she ate them?
    EF £0/£4200
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 12th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 5,280 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Good night all
    I'm awAy with work again tomorrow save on food and fuel but miss out seeing DH and DD. Not much done today a bit of a walk and coffee (Wombled loyalty point receipts whilst there) Made a lovely (even if I say so) Sunday dinner
    See ya LPx
    Womble #28 £2,291.29
    Pay off all debts by Xmas 2017 #40 £3465/£5865 Christmas 2017 Saving #11 £89/365
    Competition wins £11,840

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 12th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 18,703 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Bon voyage, LuckyPenny!

• armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 12th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 3,866 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    All this spring gardening is making me a bit envious, but at least our long hot summer is finally conceding defeat: it's raining here as well, and my garden is far happier for it. As is my water bill, which is always horrendous at this time of the year.

Had a spendy weekend, but all with the view to future MSE-ing: picked up a ceramic water container from a second hand shop so I can try my hand at brewing kombucha. Cost $25, but if it works it'll save me a fortune over time: a single bottle (450ml or so) of kombucha in the shops costs about $4, and brewing it is almost completely free.

Also bought a heat lamp and feeder for baby chicks, and the man in the shop said he was expecting a new batch of fluffies this Friday Buying babies means no eggs for 4-6 months, but I have 3 good layers already, one's slowing down a bit but they'll see me through until the next batch hit puberty.

So lots of spending, but it's all thoughtful long term stuff so I'm counting that as DFW work!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    September 2017 - $218,597.77
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 12th Mar 17, 11:58 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 21,690 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Hi All

Been a beautiful couple of days here so we've managed:

Checked Bank
    Car cleaned inside and out
    Cleaned front door
    All washing done & line dried
    1/2 basket of ironing done
    DS to football today (great match and result, and we're all making some lovely friends too)
    Shopping with list
    Uploaded receipt to COS
    Moved some plants from pots into garden
    Mums for tea
    Entered a few comps
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer
    Checked: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL
    Read - started a new book from shelf

Catch you all tomorrow.

C x
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make £5 per day in August 2017: £358.12/£155

Make £5 per day in September 2017: £351.89/£150
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 23,955 Thanks
    allydowd
    This thread is now closed. Please join us here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72243019&posted=1#news
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £1700
    Survey Rewards 2017: £100
    Swim for Sanity: 4000m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

904Posts Today

5,969Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin