Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 6th Mar 17, 7:23 AM
    • 6,203Posts
    • 34,850Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 06/03
    • 6th Mar 17, 7:23 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 06/03 6th Mar 17 at 7:23 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling '17 May /YTD £1907.45/Roadkill £8.53
    CCC £85.94/£250 CC saved £1015 Veg grown £5.29
Page 8
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 11th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    angelpye
    All this talk of handbags! I so need a new one but really want these £500 designer shoes. Not that I can have them. I have never wanted designer anything before but I am in love. Maybe once debt is clear I can allow myself to save for something special that is not perhaps so expensive! Ridiculous, this time last year I could 'afford' such things and never saw anything I fancied. Probably a can't have therefore I want it situation.
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning all,

Awol/lurking for a couple of days as wasn't feeling very motivated and didn't want to moan lots on here.

I have paid my CC with a small overpayment, had a cheap yet successful haircut at the college and checked my updated Noodle which was depressing. Score has gone down (not that apparently this means anything) but all accounts are showing as up to date so can only get better right? I don't want more credit but I do wish I could get my debt onto 0% just to make more progress as currently paying £40 a month in interest.
    Originally posted by angelpye

Ignore the score there worst type of customer is one that is paying on time - they aren't making money off them
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £8741.84
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th Mar 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    All this talk of handbags! I so need a new one but really want these £500 designer shoes. Not that I can have them. I have never wanted designer anything before but I am in love. Maybe once debt is clear I can allow myself to save for something special that is not perhaps so expensive! Ridiculous, this time last year I could 'afford' such things and never saw anything I fancied. Probably a can't have therefore I want it situation.
    Originally posted by angelpye

I remember when we were in debt, OH and I saw the most amazing carved wooden drinks cabinet. It was £300 that we just didn't have. We are desperately looking for another one! Sometimes something is just special to you for no apparent reason! hopefully when you are debt free, something will cross your path that you can save for

• angelpye
    • By angelpye 11th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    angelpye
    Thanks Carrie, I just wish they didn't bother with the score as it is distracting! I am determined to have a little pot just for me for whatever once the debt is gone and the 'right' level of savings are in place. I am committed to only buying really good quality that I absolutely love so won't mind if this is only one or two things a year. For now, I will just have to enjoy the dream!
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    EF £0/£4200
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 3,798 Posts
    • 26,636 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Afternoon all.
    Busy busy. My relaxing weekends are starting to get a bit manic.
    Worked hard enough not to have to bring any school work home but have seriously neglected housework for the past few days. So the house looks like a small nuclear device has gone off in it, and the washing up and washing is starting to take over the kitchen.
    Got up early for training this morning. Went to Mr S on the way home for a much needed grocery shop. Got home, then popped to bestie's for an hour. Then picked dh up to take us all to ds football match. DH discovered a giant bolt in the front tyre of the car so I dropped them at football then took the car to tyre spot. Good news was that the front puncture could be repaired for £18. Bad news was that there was also a screw in one of the back tyres that couldn't be repaired, so £80 for a new one.
    DS lost football 6-0 (like watching Sunderland).
    Now just tutoring and an early night to look forward to.
    NST May #13 NSD 7/16 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th Mar 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Afternoon all.
    Busy busy. My relaxing weekends are starting to get a bit manic.
    Worked hard enough not to have to bring any school work home but have seriously neglected housework for the past few days. So the house looks like a small nuclear device has gone off in it, and the washing up and washing is starting to take over the kitchen.
    Got up early for training this morning. Went to Mr S on the way home for a much needed grocery shop. Got home, then popped to bestie's for an hour. Then picked dh up to take us all to ds football match. DH discovered a giant bolt in the front tyre of the car so I dropped them at football then took the car to tyre spot. Good news was that the front puncture could be repaired for £18. Bad news was that there was also a screw in one of the back tyres that couldn't be repaired, so £80 for a new one.
    DS lost football 6-0 (like watching Sunderland).
    Now just tutoring and an early night to look forward to.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady

Bad news on the tyre , but on the plus side at least it was spotted and didn't suddenly deflate and leave you stranded somewhere

• angelpye
    • By angelpye 11th Mar 17, 3:49 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    angelpye
    CCL - I had a tyre saga straight after my lightbulb moment so I truly feel your pain! The fix was nice and cheap though and as Carrie said at least you weren't stranded. Strange to have two go at the same time though.
    EF £0/£4200
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 11th Mar 17, 4:01 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all,
    Other small things
    * Used a £20 gift voucher for lunch out with the kids, definitely wasn't value for money and we won't be going there again in a hurry but we have got plenty of pizza left overs which will do for tomorrow night. But... we did only use it for food and had tap water to drink and told the kids they'd have a dessert at home and not an expensive one out.
    * Ordered some days out tokens from mr T for my folks to use when they go away for a short break later in the month.
    * Popped into £shop and got some bubble bath that's been discontinued from mr T's. Need to see if my mum wants me to bulk buy her some in the week.
    * Dh was desperate for new tshirts, he got 4 for £14 from @sda, much cheaper then the last lot from n3xt.
    * Checked fpl/lukcyphone/numberplate
    * Going to blitz a chicken casserole to turn it into soup for the 4 of us for tea tonight.
    * Moved some toys around in the boys playroom, they are now are playing with video games that they'd forgotten about who needs new?!!
    * Asked my niece if she uses hair spray, she does so instead of me using the bottle up for the sake of it, I've given it away
    * Going to continue use of glasses cleaning spray and computer screen cleaner as I want them used up and gone!
    * Checked for freebies for mr t delivery I have booked for tomorrow on the main site http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/supermarket-coupons?_ga=1.60862188.158160027.1462207036#deal35 528 there is a code for free yogurts so added that to my shop
    I may be back with more after we've watched the rugby
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 11-03-2017 at 4:16 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 11th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 4,196 Posts
    • 33,584 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Well I am pleased with myself. I am only 1 hr short of my target hours for job no.2, if I can keep this up for the rest of the month then it will really help our finances. I am planning a day off tomorrow.

Chuckling at the handbag discussion, how things have changed for me. I have been dithering about spending £12 on a towelling bathrobe. At the gym you have to walk from the showers to the unisex changing rooms to get dressed and a bathrobe would be handy. Showering at the gym is more practical and moneysaving than coming home to shower so it makes sense.

I am about ready for bed, hoping to get some washing dry outside tomorrow! Mealplan to do as well.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Mar 17, 7:40 AM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 16,513 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Sunday Savers,
    Well it won't be an NSD today as we need to pop out for some compost, but I'll be taking cash from our Household Savings Piggy to pay for it & will be buying the brand that's on offer.
    Not much money saving activity today among what we've got planned but will be keeping the faith with energy saving, getting tomorrow's packed lunch made, etc. Oh, & have had another ebay bid. Think will edit to change title on another item as I think that will help more people see it. Big job list for next week so think I'll relax today.
    Take care all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £904
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £190
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Mar 17, 7:57 AM
    • 6,203 Posts
    • 34,850 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning foxgloves Been up since 6, madam has been up since 7. Done a close inspection of seed modules/pots more basil and coriander has germinated but still no progress on other seeds

Planning to go to the lottie in half an hour and dig over another section.

Would like to photo and list a few things on fleabay but I never seem to get round to this so we'll see. Might offer to do a day temping for oh as it's a sure fire way to get some extra cash... Might speak to him to see if there's any way I could do the work from home and do an hour a night....

Will either go swimming or to a heritage site to get out of the house with oh & madam. Potentially today could be a NSD, we'll see....

just did our meal plan and have changed tracks for this week so rather than sticking with clearing freezer I've included some treats/more luxurious meals. I've fallen out of love of always cooking everything and found myself yesterday wanting to go and get fish and chips. Luckily swerved that impulse but it means I'm getting sick of just clearing the stores! Figured it's better to have a proper shop and have a week of super frugaldom another week and stay on track for the month than go and blow somewhere between £10-25 on a takeaway or more on a meal out! Will go to the SMs today around reduction times to see if I can bring the cost down a bit

Call dd this evening and catch up

could do with some soup making/baking today

hang washing out

Think that's all I need to do. Happy Sunday
    Last edited by determined new ms; 12-03-2017 at 8:21 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling '17 May /YTD £1907.45/Roadkill £8.53
    CCC £85.94/£250 CC saved £1015 Veg grown £5.29
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning all!

DNMS - bloomin ebay. I have a pile of things to ebay that I'm just not getting round to. It's starting to stress me out. I also know what you mean about cooking from scratch - sometimes you just get so sick of it!

The weather forecast changed somewhat here overnight. Said it was going to tiddle down all day, now it's going to be nice and sunny!

Not that it will affect me as I will be stuck in work

Today I will hope that OH does the housework. I asked last night and he said he might if he feels like it... what a delightful luxury to have(!) Wish I could just go to work if I felt like it. (Do feel like OH should do the housework considering he works about 12 hours a week compared to my 40 hours).

Anyhoo, today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores
    • Charge phone in work - Done
    • Put one item on ebay - YEEEES! Done
    • Do any meal prep for tomorrow's lunch/dinner
    • Crochet commission.
    • OH to do housework?
    • Washing out on line if OH remembers - Done
    • Log calories in MFP
    • Keep an eye on phone data as am getting low (but resets tomorrow)
    • Reconcile budget sheet with OH
    • No alcohol (day 15). I have a leaving do to go to on Friday so I am planning to stay alcohol free until then. I also want to make a decision on how many units I drink on Friday and only take enough money so I stick to that. OH is picking me up so I can set a time to leave too.
    • Will add more if I think of it.
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 12-03-2017 at 12:00 PM.

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Mar 17, 9:02 AM
    • 3,798 Posts
    • 26,636 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Well done on getting the extra work hours Yorkshire - it really takes the stress off financially doesn't it?
    DNMS - I completely understand about the shopping. That's why I ended up spending almost £70 in Mr S yesterday. I really, really wanted to get a bacon sandwich from MaccyD and figured it was more frugal to shop and buy things I wanted to have in the house. So that's what I did. Hopefully it will work out cheaper in the long run.
    So, another sleepless night for me last night. DS had a friend over, which by default meant that we were all awake late and then up early. I've dozed over on the sofa for an hour or so but I'm still quite tired. Good news is that there are very few plans for the day ahead. I'm off to my mam's at lunchtime for a catch up and some dinner, which will be nice as long as I'm not too tired and grumpy.
    I've already made a start on essential housework - washing, dishes and hoover. My life continues in it's completely boring tone of work, housework and trying to relax and sleep with the occasional bit of financial stress such as vet bills or new tyres. Bit dull really. Nothing to report.
    Have a good day all
    NST May #13 NSD 7/16 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 12th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 17,423 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

Enjoy your relaxing day foxgloves.
    Sounds like a good plan for the meal plan DNMS!
    CLF - I hear ya!! It's only fair re the housework.
    CCL - hope you can squeeze in a wee snooze after your sleepless night.

I ordered food from prime now yesterday. V good, from morrisons and here within 2 hours for a £2 tip. Will defo do it again.

Today:
    • Roast chicken in SC
    • Make soup with tired veg
    • Dog walk - OH is working job#2 so I'll probably go at the same time
    • Get ready for tomorrow - make breakfast/lunch etc
    • Crocheting myself a new cushion cover with stuff from stash
    • Think about all the gifts I need to buy over the next 2 months...
    • Sort clothes to take back tomorrow
    • Sorted YNAB
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 12th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Good morning money savers
    feeling better for seeing friends yesterday and plan to take it easy today-some ironing and tidying up and snag a NSD
    wanted a few bits yesterday and also needed cat litter, really didn't want to go out to get it today as chances are I would have spent more so went to Mr Ms after friends. We were abit late for YS things but pleased that we went when we did.

My daughter has her prom dress, I was given my niece's one when my brother moved(I become a dumping ground for all his bits to put on eb@y or take to CS). My daughter also has an awards dress that has served her well but still in amazing condition. Being a frugal moneysaver herself she get clothes and bits from a site called Vint@ed (very popular with the younger ones) so we managed to get one of the dresses ironed and up on the site yesterday. Reckoned that now would be the best time with prom season soon being upon us (I don't agree with it, I thought the money my brother spent for my niece was ridiculous-£250 for the dress alone). My daughter's was much more low key, and while it was nice that everyone got together for one last time at the end of GCSEs and when I went to pick my daughter up, seeing everyone dressed up in posh frocks and suits was lovely, my daughter still really didn't enjoy it and moaned about it not being value for money(shes a vegetarian and the food for veges wasn't very good).
    Also need to get some things on ebay-being rubbish at doing this aswell at the minute.
    CCL-I hope you get some down time today to relax. nuisance about the tyres, but good the other one was spotted.
    YORKSHIRE-it's amazing how ur mindset changes when u do become a moneysaver. I'm not one for spending money on myself, but even if its something practical or could really do with, I still have to really go away and think about it and use the mantra, 'do I want it, do I need it'.
    Decided that tomorrow I will do a big shop and stock up on a cat food for 2 weeks- I have a voucher for £3 off, plus hopefully I can snag a few more NSDs this week.
    have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 383.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £93.22/£190
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 12th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    angelpye
    Hi all,

I too get a little sick of always cooking, and as I am on my own there is no let up. I did have chip supper last week and at the start of April I am taking elder DD to pizza chain with free main meal vouchers and free dough balls - looking forward to it. Batch cooking helps but still requires a small amount of effort. There is a new mexican place opened near me and I am desperate to go as have had their food before - will treat myself for my birthday in a couple of months.

Today:
    *Check YNAB
    *Washing mountain
    *Motivate DD to tidy room - in progress
    *Kitchen spruce up - in progress (between spurts of cheerleading)
    *All meals from home
    *Film night with DD

Bit damp here so time for the radio and a cozy Sunday at home I think.

Hope you all have a great day.
    EF £0/£4200
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 12th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,
    Its wet and grey here unfortunately.

Todays a usual Sunday with family heading over for lunch so todays small things will be
    * YS meat cooking
    * Asked my sis to bring a dessert (a little thing but I do get fed up sometimes that its always on us if you see what I mean)
    * Mr T delivery came which included the 4 pack of yogurt I have got free after spotting a code on the main website and I rejected the pack of peppers as one was damaged, they've refunded me the cost but told me to keep them, I will cut around the damage and freeze as usual.
    * Wearing a pair of socks that my MIL sent me, she sent me & dh 2 packs each, the kids got a book mark & pen each too
    * Applied make up as part of my use up of what we have.
    * Made families lunches for tomorrow

Still to do
    ** Check fpl/lukcyohone/numberplate
    ** Film from stash later with the kids
    ** Ask my dad to give dh's hair a trim Done & kids trimmed too
    ** Delete emails from all three accounts

I think that's it for today Have a lovely Sunday all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 12-03-2017 at 3:23 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 4,332 Posts
    • 32,863 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Pouring with rain first thing, which scuppered our plans to go to a car boot sale but dry and sunny-ish now, at least for the moment! Today's small things:
    NSD
    No heating downstairs, but I notice it was cold enough for the radiator in the airing cupboard and the towel thingy in the bathroom to have been on at some point. It is getting chilly again now, so will light the wood stove later this afternoon.
    Changed bed, washed linen and have now pegged it on the line (wasn't dry enough out before)
    Hoovered upstairs and done some tidying / putting away
    HM meals from stores, not much cooking needed (I get fed up with it sometimes as well!) as we have the remains of a ham joint which can go with a jacket potato and salad
    Dog walk later
    2 Ebay parcels to pack
    RM surveys items to prepare for the coming week, this is my final batch for a while

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Just a little thought for everyone if you hate meal planning... the meal plans that me and OH have made are an absolute godsend. It has made meal planning and shopping so easy.

First we wrote down all the lunches and dinners on post-it notes
    Then we arranged them over a whole week. We wrote the plan down on an Excel sheet. We did this several times. We now have 6 plans in total and every so often will create another to keep things fresh. I also added one sweet snack and one savoury snack each day. The snacks are not repeated through the week, but are the same on each meal plan (sometimes re-ordered depending on what meals are planned)

Then I created a shopping list for each meal plan, and a separate "staples" shopping list in our groceries app.

Essentially now each Thursday we just pick a meal plan; "Shop" from the freezer and cupboards; then get the remaining shop in. It's so much quicker and easier than doing it each week. Obviously we can adjust each week too if we're not going to be home one evening etc. It also means that we know how much each week's food costs so we can have cheap plans and less cheap plans.

HTH

• YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 12th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    • 4,196 Posts
    • 33,584 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

What a lovely afternoon, just been out dog walking.

CLF I used to do something similar but had fortnightly plans that I rotated. Somehow I have got out of the habit and do find it a chore. Dont know if it's just me but I go through stages where I get completely bored with the same old meals, especially when money is tight and you have to be quite creative. Oh and DH has got problems with acid indigestion again so that restricts some of the things that he can eat.

Going to do my spreadsheets and mealplan for the week next. Need to arrange for the courier to collect the trousers that are completely unsuitable for DS2 to wear to school. I give up, he can keep wearing the ones that are too short.

No heating on, DS1 is wearing a huge fleece, poor love is always cold but it really isnt that cold in the house.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,994Posts Today

6,002Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin