Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 6th Mar 17, 7:23 AM
    • 6,343Posts
    • 35,957Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 06/03
    • 6th Mar 17, 7:23 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 06/03 6th Mar 17 at 7:23 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2795.06/Roadkill £8.58
    NSDs Aug 3/15 CC saved £1802.50 Veg grown £376.20
Page 7
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 17,112 Thanks
    foxgloves
    angelpye - The chickpea burgers are a staple here chez Foxgloves Manor. I took some pics for my blog, so when I've posted it, I'll PM you a link. Very cheap to make, & yes, I do cook them from frozen. They are easy-peasy, tasty & filling.

FVD - My new handbag was also £55 from Debenhams with 20% off (& a gift card which I received for Christmas). Wonder if we bought the same one! I love mine. (Black leather, silver zips & 2 long leather tassley things)
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £360
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £235
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 10th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 21,467 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Afternoon All

Gosh, its cold this morning and was looking a bit miserable but its just started to brighten up, so fingers crossed might turn into a nice afternoon. My little list:

Packed lunch for DH - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    Joiner to re-install 4 doors now carpets/vinyl fitted - Arrived promptly and cracked on, job done within 1 1/4 hour
    Collect prescriptions for me & mum - Done
    Freebies from Tesco - Done & up loaded receipt to COSCollect library books - Done
    Collect base unit door - Done
    Clean front door -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -
    Read -

Have a great day all!

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 10-03-2017 at 2:44 PM.
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make £5 per day in August 2017: £322.89/£155
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Mar 17, 12:16 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 17,112 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Friday Friends,
    Well, mr f left for work really early this morning as he wanted free street parking, but I didn't really realise just HOW early.......so there was I hoovering the lounge, looking out of the window & seeing all these kids going past & thinking 'Oh, must be an inset day'.....before realising they were simply walking to school as it was only 8.30 a.m! Shall have lots of leisure time later at this rate! OK, here goes with the frugal list:
    *Cleaned whole house using minimal products & washable cloths.
    *Washed out empty loo cleaner bottle & re-filled it from a big 2-litre bottle of toilet bleach I bought from Aldi. This size is sufficient to do nearly 3 re-fills so works out cheaper.
    *Topped up my vintage glass decanters in the bathroom with bubble bath. Swilled a bit of water around the dregs & added it to the kitchen hand soap bottle....I'm wondering if there's any actual hand soap left in that concoction, but hey, it gets hands clean & I haven't opened a new one for ages!
    *Checked baby veggie plants - looking OK.
    *Ordered remaining veggie seeds I need using a cashback app.
    *Paid off my CC in full.
    *Cleared out our voucher stash, binned out of date ones & added new ones.
    *Checked ebay - 1 item sold & has 3 watchers & 6 watchers on another item.
    *Took home-baked bread rolls & muffins out of freezer for packing picnic for tomorrow's planned day trip to North Yorkshire. Put flask ready too as last time we visited this attraction, it was £3.85 for a cup of coffee & I nearly needed a cardiac massage!
    *Wipe out fridge while checking to see what needs using up - will have a quick tidy of the pantry too, as have an online grocery delivery tonight.
    *Removed free seeds from the front of some gardening mags my Mum brought for me. Packed away in seed box for next year.
    *Postie brought a letter from bank showing the revised term of our loan, following the lump sum we paid in this week. We took the loan out in Aug last year & it was a 60 month term. The lump sum has reduced it to 37 months, & all being well, it will be a lot quicker than that, as we have already saved over £700 towards the next partial repayment. I am feeling soooooo motivated about doing this.
    *Did a few surveys.
    *Have received another £5 survey voucher plus £10 Ipsos (mr f's payout) so have updated my signature (where I'm keeping a tally of survey income)
    *Changed bed linen - that is now waiting for a cheap overnight wash which looks to be followed by a dry day for pegging out & drying for free.
    *Find my biggest cake tin & measure it (I don't want to buy a new one) & write ingredients list for a big celebration cake I need to bake next week. Had the quickest scan of the recipe which I've made before in the past for a Golden Wedding. It looks like I've got quite a lot of the ingredients in already, but will be looking for a good price on dried fruit, sherry & just a few other things. Also need to hunt round & see if I have any of the little cardboard cake boxes left (the ones where you can cut up the cake & give/send a little piece to friends/family). This cake will be for my Dad's 80th & he's very keen on sharing it with all his friends,.....which is quite nice, really.
    *NSD as don't intend going anywhere today.......intending an afternoon of leisure......knitting, watching some catch-up TV, followed by a lovely long soak in the bath with my book.
    Have a good Friday all. CCL - You've made it through to another weekend - yay!!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £360
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £235
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 10th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 17,824 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Foxgloves This is my one:

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_089010605560_-1

I do love compartments for storing my diary (A5 one for bookings) and list books etc.

DNMS I know it's a long way off but you might want to taper back the childcare vouchers when your need is about to reduce as they can't be refunded. I ended up with a £300 surplus when my DS left primary school and decided he was bored with holiday clubs. In the end I donated them to the lovely school that took him on for just six weeks when we moved house just after his SATS and before high school.

YorkshireLass I have an unspoken agreement with a young woman that always gets in my carriage in the mornings. I have my favourite seat and she has hers but if either of them are taken we never sit in each other's seat even if it's the next most obvious one to take
    Lunches brought to work in August 15/22 Money saved to date £32.48 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal)

Make £10 a day in August £124.07/£310 (July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 10th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 17,824 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Today I need to bring the wheelie bin round the bag and start to refill, I forgot to take out out for collection two weeks ago so it has been a month since the last collection but it was emptied yesterday so now I can start refilling again with a couple of bags I've been storing in the garden.

Sort through bag of rubbish from teens room as most of it will be recycling.

Pay this months council tax, I have set up a DD starting from next month but this months will need to be done separately.

Collect ironing from ironing lady, it came to £20.60 which is a one-off but included two nightmare-to-iron dresses and a jacket that had been machine washed (plus a couple of shirts and a mountain of T shirts.)

Box up some books for WBB while their 10% code is still valid.

Send booking form for table top sale and sort out more stuff to sell at said table top sale.

Pay for some trellis to be delivered.

Check the YS cabinet for something for dinner, DSGF is working tonight so it will just be the two of us. I spotted the crab and chilli linguine RM that DS loves with an end date of today so I'm hoping to nab that if it's still there and I can have a carbonara RM that's in the freezer.
    Lunches brought to work in August 15/22 Money saved to date £32.48 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal)

Make £10 a day in August £124.07/£310 (July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 10th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,321 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Ah those little things FVD, like MY parking place at work, how dare anyone else take it. Usually when I get in the car park is half empty but I always park in the same place.

So.. DH has woken me up at 4.30am, he is not well. He could have come downstairs so as not to wake me up but hey ho. Kitchen floor washed, some paperwork to sort then I will get ready for work.

We have been invited to a family meal for Mothers Day. I dont really "do" Mothers Day but I really want to meet up with all the family, especially with BIL having cancer. But we can really afford it. And it looks like DH will not be well enough to work today so no money coming in. However, I could put in some extra hours on job no. 2 this month. Oh I dont know, hate being so tight for money all the time.

If anyone remembers the customer that was not paying DH he has finally paid up so that's something. 7 months late but very glad its been paid.

Right, off to do a little sorting of some things for work and get ready for the day.
    Originally posted by YORKSHIRELASS
    7 months late!!!!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • natlie
    • By natlie 10th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 4,693 Thanks
    natlie
    Hello

I've been naughty charity shopping today, I bought 5 pyrex dishes for £8 I think they are worth around £40 though so a good bargain. I also bought an embroidered vintage tablecloth for £1.99 and some veg from the grocers.

I'm outstanding over £500 in payments for my catering eeek hopefully everyone will pay at the same time and I can use it to pay a lump off my CC.

Going to spend most of the weekend cleaning again boo but needs to be done, laundry, kitchen and more ebaying

Nat
    First Debt Free Date: July 2014

Currently working on my second Debt Free Date
    • natlie
    • By natlie 10th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 4,693 Thanks
    natlie
    Sort through bag of rubbish from teens room as most of it will be recycling.
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    My teenager is exactly the same I've tried putting a recycling bag in her room and in the bathroom next to her room and she still doesn't do it - whats wrong with them
    First Debt Free Date: July 2014

Currently working on my second Debt Free Date
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 10th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 2,840 Posts
    • 17,874 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

Another crazy day at work...

We don't have anything in so we're going to the local for tea - I'll have the small fish and chips for £8 so not much more than going to the chippie It's also a 25 min walk away so 50 min of free exercise.

Hoping to have a good read through the thread tomorrow. Sounds like you have all been busy.

Catch up soon
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 10th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 34,238 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Both of my boys started tidying their rooms when girlfriends started coming to visit - hallelujah! Mind I did go and fling DS2s bedroom window open this aft before the love of his life came home from school with him.

Bob yes 7 months. And it was only £200. And DH came home fuming the other day because he saw the wife of the customer driving around in a shiny new car.

Flagging a bit now, no paid stuff done this aft, I went to the gym and the supermarket then took DS2 and gf into town, then took DS1 to work so he can have a pint afterwards (will have to pick him up).

I really should try and do an hours paid stuff. I really dont want to.
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 10th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 23,869 Thanks
    allydowd
    Work...work...work....work....work....

And free seeds through the post.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £2700
    Survey Rewards 2017: £100
    Swim for Sanity: 3700m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 10th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Well not very money saving, my daughter and I decided to have take away tonight, but there is enough for tomorrow and we went halves on it.
    Still having a nightmare with some things in life, the builders originally involved with my wet room have left me with a faulty shower this weekend-can't use it. It's been reported back in but I get the impression that just bec I am in a wheelchair I am considered thick and stupid and being blamed for the shower going wrong for not switching it off at the shower(it is the only way I can switch it off with my disabilities)
    Have been in contact with the OT dept, my OT is off this week but a senior OT was ready to step in. Said wait to see what happens today, the fact there is no contact at all says it all. My usual OT will be back on Monday and be in contact with her first thing.
    Didn't know what was going to happen so spent all day waiting in. did get all my banking checked, some paperwork done but have found the whole day stressful tbh.
    Off to see some friends tomorrow, petrol all budgeted for, will be good to get out of the house.

Foxgloves-I feel tired when I read all of your plans, I don't know how you manage it all.
    One thing that did make me smile today, popped to post office after school run, back on track with present parcels using stamps from RM surveys-after the great parcel escapade yesterday the guy at the counter today said he did enjoy the chocolate coin that we raided from the parcel yesterday
    Its those little things that make you smile
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 10th Mar 17, 9:41 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 5,222 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Hi all
    I've been AWOL from the thread this week because I've been mega busy at work and spent two days in London.
    I've managed three free lunches and an evening meal and lots of free coffees on my work expenses. I've had 4 NSD's.

I got home 90 minutes late due to delays on the railway, so I've put a claim in. Apparently I'm likely to get 50% of my ticket price as compensation.

I did a three market research jobs and cashed out £17 his week.

I've got to go through all my receipts - I've mixed up work and personal and make my expenses claim next week.

I've got a weeks worth of emails to trawl through, I'll enter the comps and FPL as I go.

Bought some stamps today before the increase thanks for reminding us Ally.

Thanks for the DenPlan comment Bob I'll look into that one.

I'm hoping to get a new (free) bike in a few weeks time. I'm going to start cycling to work mainly for health but I'll also save on petrol.

I've done a couple of ipoll surveys this evening - I'm a £1 off payout!! Read martins email whilst I was away. Oh and got a free choc from Waitrose on Women's Day.

I did a shopping list and went to Aldi. I then went to Poundland and Home Bargains to get some branded bits. Lots of good things on offer. I got most of the branded things, I think there may be two more items and I'll get these with an Asda price guarantee coupon.

I managed to stay way from M&S today, they have a sale on and it's very tempting.

Not many plans this weekend just nice to be home. I'll keep a eye out for wombles and market research.

Nice to be back, LP x
    Womble #28 £2,260.67
    Pay off all debts by Xmas 2017 #40 £2868.96/£5865 Christmas 2017 Saving #11 £85/365
    Competition wins £11,840

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Mar 17, 8:02 AM
    • 6,343 Posts
    • 35,957 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning yippee to Saturday and 5 days until I'm next at work

just finishing a coffee (SURPRISE! ) and then am going to go to the allotment for an hour , come back and have a quick shower then take madam to football. spending day with bff and godson, will come back to ours for lunch before heading off to the cotton powell museum

Load of washing in and put on line

get chorizo & mozzarella out of freezer to make pizza later, pick up some garlic to make dough balls. Decide on what's for dinner tomorrow and get something out of freezer.

Pay off cc today. New cc has issued statement & payment date is after payday

write meal plan & shopping list

ok that'll do! Happy Saturday guys x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 11-03-2017 at 8:04 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2795.06/Roadkill £8.58
    NSDs Aug 3/15 CC saved £1802.50 Veg grown £376.20
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 11th Mar 17, 8:13 AM
    • 2,840 Posts
    • 17,874 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

Yay, weekend!

Morning DNMS - sounds like a fab day you have planned! Have fun! If the weather stays dry today I am going to venture out into the garden to see if we can tidy it up a little.

LuckyPenny - you are a better woman than me! I went to the M&S sale and bought a few bits. Was in a bit of a rush so I bought more than I want so will take some back on Monday.

I got £10 cashback yesterday for RAC cover and I put that on my discount card. I then get 7.5% discount - ended up getting £27-worth of M&S sale clothes for under £14.97.

Today is mainly about getting the house in order and clearing out (gosh, I sounds like a broken record )

Need to go shopping as we still have nothing in...

Catch up soon everyone
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 11th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 34,238 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Morning

Ooh foxgloves you are in my neck of the woods, have a nice day.

Worked till 10pm last night. Will be at it again this morning once I get out of bed.

Lasagne for tea I think. Might make a cake and or scones. See I am thinking about food already, breakfast needed!
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 11th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 5,222 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Morning all

Forgot to say yesterday I've been using a site recently called Magic Freebies UK I've signed up to them on Facebook and you get to see freebies. The last freebies that I signed up for was a free cycling magazine for my DH. But they have garden seeds, cosmetics, toiletries and all sorts on there.

I'm going to North Yorkshire today Foxglove and Yorkshirelass! It's the MS place to be! We'll probably go for a little walk and then have a coffee stop and use my mostly Wombled loyalty points.

Check market research in North Yorkshire nothing available.

Defrost muscle food chicken- I'm making a satay stir fry using YS sauce

Have a great Saturday all. LP x
    Last edited by LuckyPenny; 11-03-2017 at 9:35 AM.
    Womble #28 £2,260.67
    Pay off all debts by Xmas 2017 #40 £2868.96/£5865 Christmas 2017 Saving #11 £85/365
    Competition wins £11,840

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 11th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 4,488 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all, I'm so pleased its weekend and I've got the family around which will help lift my mood.

Todays little list
    * Checked library account online and have seen that the book that the library said they'd buy in for ds is in and ready for us to collect We used to buy so many books, the library must save us a fortune, we are very lucky to have such a good one locally.
    * Breakfast from stores, dh having cereal & kids having ys bread for toast.
    * The resolver tool helped me to get a replacement gift card from curry's. Highly recommend using Resolver if you have a complaint against a company. I've used it several times now.
    * Booked gym sessions for next week to make sure I make the most of my membership.

Not sure what else we are doing today as we let the kids have a very late night to watch the rugby with us last night. Unfortunately a late night for them doesn't give us a lie in in the morning as they both woke at their usual time. So we will just see how the day goes.
    Have a good day all.

Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,183 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

Well it's my "Monday". Had a very fun and productive Thursday but yesterday was a bit of a damp squib.

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores
    • Log calories in MFP. On it like a car bonnet. Last week ended up on maintenance cals on average. Must do better! Have made a couple of tweaks to meal plan accordingly.
    • Charge phone in work
    • Nip to B&M for coffee
    • Continue to join blanket. Lady now wants it for 23rd March. this should be ok but must work on it.
    • Need to make soup but no room in freezer :/ (not sure why it is so stupidly full. Need to do a shuffle methinks
    • Went onto freegle for the first time ever to look for pallets
    • Forgot to add - no alcohol day 14.
    Eeeps did not post

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 11-03-2017 at 2:56 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £8741.84
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 11th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    angelpye
    Morning all,

Awol/lurking for a couple of days as wasn't feeling very motivated and didn't want to moan lots on here.

I have paid my CC with a small overpayment, had a cheap yet successful haircut at the college and checked my updated Noodle which was depressing. Score has gone down (not that apparently this means anything) but all accounts are showing as up to date so can only get better right? I don't want more credit but I do wish I could get my debt onto 0% just to make more progress as currently paying £40 a month in interest.

Today:
    *Pet related cleaning - done
    *Washing mountain - on
    *General tidy up
    *Small top up shop with a list
    *Use Gym membership with DD this afternoon so LSD
    *Mantra 'I have got this!'
    *Check in with YNAB and bank account
    *All food from stores
    *Little bit of creative time

Its a bit yucky here today so apart from gym will stay in. Tomorrow I really need to motivate DD into tidying her room so I can clean it. She is always quite resistant as there is always a good reason why she needs to keep x,y,z and why it all needs to be 'displayed' on her bedroom floor. Still if I can stay upbeat I am sure we will get through it.
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,292Users online

Martin's Twitter