Newly Bankrupt and nervous over OR call..

Pk95
Pk95 Posts: 37 Forumite
edited 5 March 2017 at 7:11PM in Bankruptcy & living with it
Hi All,

I appreciate that this might just be going over old ground previously covered in this amazing forum but...

I've just had my BR approved (less than 24 hours after hitting the button) and am in that limbo stage waiting for the OR contact.

Having read through these threads it seems that some people do not have to have an interview and some do. Anyone know why this is the case?

My debts are circa 23k and are a combination of stupid debt accumulated in my youth after the exhilaration of being able to get credit cards and loans with a perfect credit score and having nice cars when I was earning the big bucks and also the debt accumulated by crippling depression / anxiety and suicidal thoughts leading to time off sick where you just don't have the energy to worry as long as the next bill is paid. In come the loans to tide you over which just mount and mount. I was in a DMP for 2 years but my crippling health problems meant that this failed too when I couldn't work.

How much of this is routinely scrutinised by ORs? I read that some are understanding and some are not. Would restrictions be placed on you lightly? I did my expenditure and income and it shows me having £8 spare a month after my rather conservative review of what I spend. Also I'm on a zero hours contract so my wages are not guaranteed either.

Just nervous..mental health played a massive part here and you make some ridiculous spur of the moment decisions because you honestly can't see a way out.

I've totally change my life around since getting professional help and have changed careers from one that made the money but also made me desperately sick to one where I earn little but am so amazingly happy. This is the last hurdle, a fresh financial start but am scared of the mental impact of this last stage.

Thanks everyone for reading.

Comments

• Violet1881
    Violet1881 Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2017 at 8:25PM
    I'm a few weeks ahead of you :)

My BR was approved 24 hours after I hit the button and my phone call was about 10 days later
    and I spent the days before it in a state of panic. Real panic.
    The day of the call I worried all day about it and could hardly concentrate at work.
    I had a huge amount of debt. All very old joint defaulted loans etc. I was concerned the OR would want exact details of what the all of money was spent on etc as well as dates etc.
    The call was fine. Scary, well very scary, but manageable.
    I was put at ease in the first few minutes and basically we went through what had happened for me to get into the position I was in.
    The person from the OR who I spoke to was very helpful and at the end of the call (after I put the phone down!) I cried with relief!

It is an extremely worrying time for you, and I still get worried about it all too.

I hope your call goes really well, I'm sure it will.
    I've been around the world and I I I I ..... changed my username :shhh:
  • Pk95
    Violet1881 wrote: »
    I'm a few weeks ahead of you :)

My BR was approved 24 hours after I hit the button and my phone call was about 10 days later
    and I spent the days before it in a state of panic.
    The day of the call I worried all day about it and could hardly concentrate at work.
    I had huge debts. All very old defaulted loans etc. I was concerned the OR would want exact details of what the money was spent on etc

How did that call go? That's the bit I'm worried about :(
  • Violet1881
    Sorry I managed to post before I finished:o
  • Pk95
    Violet1881 wrote: »
    Sorry I managed to post before I finished:o

Aw thank you, that's so kind of you to share your experience with me. I tend to over worry everything as I guess a lot of people do in this situation. I'm just glad it's all getting sorted now.
  • Violet1881
    you're very welcome.

I am also a worrier, I worry over everything and if I'm not worrying I then worry I must have forgotten something :rotfl:
  • You will post on here after the interview saying it was nowhere near as bad as you expected. Almost everyone does. My was a simple conversation, they are not trying trip you up - just be honest and if you don't know something say so. They just want a feel for what's gone on.
  • Pk95
    You will post on here after the interview saying it was nowhere near as bad as you expected. Almost everyone does. My was a simple conversation, they are not trying trip you up - just be honest and if you don't know something say so. They just want a feel for what's gone on.

Thanks John, I know you're right. I'm sure it will be fine. :)
  • Pk95
    Omg just got the letter through. No need for an interview . I'm overwhelmed with relief that it's all done. Life can really start again now. Not ashamed to say I'm a little emotional. Thanks everyone for the support.
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,244
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    So pleased for you!!
  • Violet1881
    That's great ☺
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income