Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 5th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 20,041Posts
    • 227,718Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 6th March 2017
    • 5th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 6th March 2017 5th Mar 17 at 6:28 PM
    Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. Its been lovely to see some de-lurkers and some newcomers; do please post even if it's just to say 'list completed'

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Monday - Beautiful Bedroom

Level 1
    Open the window
    strip the bed
    clean window
    make bed
    dust sill
    dust curtain rails/pelmets

Level 2
    dust all surfaces
    wipe light pulls/switches
    wipe cosmetic bottles with a just-damp cloth
    polish mirrors

Level 3
    vacuum/dust all light fittings
    clear detritus from bedside tables
    empty any bins
    vacuum/sweep floors

extras
    clear bedside cabinets
    HHI
    S&S kitchen and bathroom

Twinkling Tuesday Bathroom Brightener

Level 1

Open windows
    Empty Bath sides and shower cubicles of all bottles, loofahs etc
    Spray with cleaner
    Shine shower screens
    Scrub down bath/shower
    Rinse
    polish taps
    put clean washcloths out

Level 2
    Flush loos
    spray with cleaner of choice (I like cream cleaner for porcelain)
    scrub bowl - don't forget under rim
    With a bucket of hot water wipe loo seats etc. handles, etc
    Good slug of bleach

Level 3
    clean cloth - basin needs a scrub. And bidet if you have one
    scrub then polish taps with a dry m/f cloth
    polish/wipe radiator/towel rail
    replace all towel
    vacuum or mop floors
    Dust and shelves/sills
    wipe pull cords and switches

EXTRAS
    Vacuum/dust any vents
    Wipe tiles around basins/splashbacks
    clean windows in bathrooms

HHI

Wonderful Wednesday - KITCHEN and dining

Level 1
    Wipe table and mats, and chairs. Dont forget under the table/chairs where sticky fingers lurk
    WUDUPA
    Clear sides and wipe down

Level 2
    Wipe cupboard fronts
    Wipe fascias
    Wipe small appliances/caddies and return stuff to sides
    Wipe switches and sockets and door handles

Level 3
    clean sills
    dust in dining area
    sweep and mop floors

Extras

Clean out a drawer
    fling gibble
    empty bins round the house
    sweep doorstep
    wipe front door inside and out#

Thursday look after the lounge day

Level 1
    Open windows and let in fresh air
    Empty bin
    Flick a cobweb duster round coving, along picture rail and over light fittings
    Vacuum or wipe sofa and swap cushions and/or seat pads

Level 2
    Dust everywhere and wipe sticky spots inc switches with a damp cloth
    Don't forget skirting, tops of doors and sills and curtain tracks

Level 3
    Thorough vacuum inc under furniture
    Don't forger the edges
    Wipe door - both sides
    Clean window

Extras s&s bathrooms, kitchen
    HHI
    Plan some me time or down time for this weekend

Fantastic Friday - kids room (s) spare rooms doom laden pits...you choose

Level 1
    clear out as much gibble as is humanly possible
    open window
    strip any beds

Level 2
    clean window and sill
    make bed
    vacuum floor (if not doing level 3...vacuum last if you are)

Level 3
    Dust everywhere inc skirtings
    wipe switches and place where sticky fingers leave their mark

extras
    HHI - you might have been pegging out so you'll have lots
    clean rotting food from fridge and/or use up stuff
    check all outside lights working while it's fine and dry
    peg out some laundry
    Last edited by Valli; 09-03-2017 at 9:51 PM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Page 6
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 10th Mar 17, 7:00 AM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 14,604 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all

Up with the lark today again. It's so lovely to see the mornings so light

Unloaded DW so far, will shove WM on shortly. Bathroom needs a good scrub, need to pop to Aldi (as much as you can 'pop' anywhere with a 2 year old in tow!), visit my grandma and de-grub my skirting boards. Paid stuff for DH to do as well.

Happy Fridays all x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 10.9.17 - £122,780
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Mar 17, 7:15 AM
    • 4,029 Posts
    • 47,324 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning flyladies. Welcome newbies.

Thanks for all your wishes for DH. He had to tell his mum yesterday that he is unwell but she is sworn to secrecy. He had no choice as his uncle died and he can't make it to the funeral. Hospital went ok.

So this morning, I'm going to get dressed, clean the bathroom (as I only did the downstairs loo earlier in the week), hoover through, walk the dogs and then see if there is any time to do anything else from the list before the paid stuff.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) September £404.15 Total £8404.15/£12000

• Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 10th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 20,521 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Hugs Jazee and others who need them.
    Whinge, please ignore:
    Well my week doesn't improve. Yesterday when coming home from uni the car in front of me braked suddenly to avoid a car that cut him up; I tried to swerve to avoid him but there was another car next to me (on a roundabout) so I brushed into his car. Nobody hurt; driver of car I hit was really nice about it but my car is fairly mashed and we're hoping they won't write it off as it's old. His wasn't damaged too severely as it was a glancing blow of my front wing to his back wing. Insurance very efficient and repair/car hire are collecting/delivering on Monday. I feel really shaky and carp; I've only ever bumped into another car once in my life and that was 20yrs ago. Plus the toe I landed on in zumba on Tues is still swollen and painful and I'm even more behind with report writing.

Sorry I know many of you are dealing with far worse but I'm feeling pretty pathetic.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 10th Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    • 6,790 Posts
    • 86,672 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Hugs for loudmouth, Jazee and narc0 xxx

Sorry I've been AWOL for a day or so. Busy here, have just tidied the worktop of doom (garage / den / study) as boiler in here and getting serviced Monday. Much tidier. Also sorted shoe rack and removed stuff like scarves, just keeping one set of hat and gloves each out.

Also yesterday I washed kids bedding first thing, had it outside drying and managed to put the same ones back on their beds last night

More washing out today though not nearly as blowy here. Piggies also out, cage thoroughly cleaned yesterday and conservatory swept. I'm evicting them to the great outdoors at the end of this month, so will get measuring the hutch to make a proper cover for it.

I've also told kids we are having "THE BIG TOY SORT" in the April holidays. They've been asking for lots of new stuff lately, which is a bit of a new thing for us. So we need to start looking at what they've grown out of. They are excited to try sell some stuff to make money

I've already got DS clothes out on the spare bed for a sort, too. I've flung the obviously small stuff. Can you believe he still has 11 pairs of shorts. Not including school / PE / soccer kit shorts (which probably account for another 10). just summer holiday shorts. Mental.

Daren't even look at DD stuff yet

Right, I'm popping up to town for some milk and loo roll, then I'm going to read for an hour...
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • grn.w.nv
    • By grn.w.nv 10th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    grn.w.nv
    Thanks for the warm welcome all Really pleased with myself yesterday as I actually cleaned my big bay window in the lounge, it's timber framed and tends to go a bit black, been needing to do it for ages. Going to do a window in each room each day if I can. Also, hoovered upstairs and downstairs and cleaned the bathroom, so a right random assortment! I will follow the rules properly starting next week.
    Last edited by grn.w.nv; 10-03-2017 at 2:29 PM.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Mar 17, 2:39 PM
    • 9,681 Posts
    • 104,454 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Narc0 you will feel shaken up; it's that horrible "what if it's been worse?" thing, I think. Thank goodness no-one was hurt. I know just how you feel though; we were rear-ended at speed in April 2015, completely writing off our car, and to this day, I get shaky getting into a car. I can still hear the almighty BANG as he hit us, and feel the broken glass from the back window showering me.
    Last edited by LameWolf; 10-03-2017 at 2:41 PM.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Mar 17, 4:51 PM
    • 4,029 Posts
    • 47,324 Thanks
    Jazee
    Glad you're ok Narco. Our car got hit while parked in the hospital car park yesterday. Just what we needed to come out to.

The weekend is here and if dry I plan to get outside, walking the dogs and doing gardening. If wet, then I'll sort the cupboard of doom and maybe do some decorating.

DH is home. He didn't manage the full shift again, so I'm going to try to get him to eat something now.

See you all tomorrow.

• Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 10th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 20,521 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Narc0 you will feel shaken up; it's that horrible "what if it's been worse?" thing, I think. Thank goodness no-one was hurt. I know just how you feel though; we were rear-ended at speed in April 2015, completely writing off our car, and to this day, I get shaky getting into a car. I can still hear the almighty BANG as he hit us, and feel the broken glass from the back window showering me.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Ah that sounds terrible. Fortunately because I managed to swerve a bit and wasn't going fast it was rather a brushing 'hit' rather than a loud bang. A kind friend suggested he took us to the garden centre to lunch today and although I wasn't too keen, I think it was good to get back in a car even though I wasn't driving. He is a retired driving instructor; taught me over 30yrs ago, so I think he knew it was a good idea. I've exchanged a couple of texts with the other driver, to find out how each other are, and he's been sweet. We shared views on the g*t (his words) who had cut him up in the first place and driven off. It was actually terrifying to stand by our cars exchanging details as it made me realise just how many people drive at great speed even on a roundabout and don't really consider other drivers. It was like standing next to a race track.

Oh Jazee sorry to hear about your car.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 9,681 Posts
    • 104,454 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Oh no, Jazee - bummer! Gods, life is dealing you some poo just lately.

Narc0 your driving instructor friend was correct - it's the "get straight back on the horse that threw you" thing. I haven't been anywhere near Bletchley since our incident, and am unlikely to ever do so, at least not without a strong sedative!
    I don't even drive these days (Mr LW was driving when it happened, btw). I keep saying I should just relinquish my license and have done with, but Mr LW says No.
    Anyways, I'm supposed to be driving to the pub at Stoke Bruerne on Thursday evening (meet-up with some Northampton Mensa members) the deal is I drive there, and Mr LW stays on Virgin Marys while we're there and drives home. I may well bottle out, though.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 10th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 3,326 Thanks
    Fayolle
    I don't think that I can add anything very helpful to today's posts beyond offering lots of ((hugs)) to everyone who needs them. Especially Jazee, as you seem to be having a particularly rough time atm. X

As for near misses in cars, it seems to be getting crazier on the roads. I had 2 near misses just this morning. One a young lad in a zooped up G@lf obliviously sped straight across a roundabout in front of me, luckily the other 2 drivers stopped as well. Then a HUGE lorry "forgot" to give way to me....then stopped and waved, said sorry and let me through! There are some decent drivers left after all. Have lovely evenings all. X
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 10th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 4,277 Posts
    • 34,540 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all, DH woke me up really early coughing so I have been up since 5.

Washed kitchen floor and tidied kitchen, did some paperwork, went to job no. 1, went to Li@l, went to the gym, came home, put shopping away, tidied kitchen again, picked DS2 and gf up from town, took DS1 to work, took DS2 and gf back into town. Threw some fishcakes and oven chips in for our tea and then on with some work on job no. 2. Just finished. So tired ... and I said that I would pick DS1 up from work so he could have a drink when he finished.

Hows things Dizzy has your week ended a bit better? - and sorry if I should know that.

Narco it does shake you up, thankfully nothing more serious but it sort of makes you realise just how easily it can happen.

I need to sleep.
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 10th Mar 17, 11:01 PM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 32,960 Thanks
    ionafan
    Sorry I've been AWOL most of the week. Yesterday we spent the afternoon at the horse piddle for DH's scan. Today I've got sinusitis, just on the left side - most strange and not very pleasant!

I have managed to deal with some bits of paperwork this week, including my car tax renewal and booking my MOT (not due until mid-April) and did some college reading whilst sitting at the horse piddle. We were stuck in a windowless area so missed all the beautiful sunshine. Got my hair trimmed today, and also did DH's. I have just shaken some dust out of my computer keyboard - it was yuck!

This afternoon I watched two men from the water board sticking in rods and digging a small hole in the unsurfaced lane at the back of our house, which is full of potholes and covered in pools of water. Half an hour after they'd gone, the local council workmen arrived with a large load of gravel and a bulldozer to spread it. Everything looked much better for a short while, but now there is a pool of water bubbling up from under the road surface at just the point where the water board workmen were digging, and the whole lane is flooding again. Fortunately the water runs down the hill away from our house, rather than into our back garden.

I'm out all day tomorrow at a Quiet Day, then in the evening we shall be joining in Nigel Kennedy's belated 60th birthday celebrations at Symphony Hall - very much looking forward to that!

(((Hugs))) to all in need, especially Jazee and Narc0.
    Hope everyone has a good weekend x
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 11th Mar 17, 6:59 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 14,283 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    (((Hugs))) to Jazee and Narc0lepsy.

Flying transferring to France today - I've volunteered to cook once. And there is a dishwasher. We will see

DH left with supplies and a spotless kitchen - exploding microwave egg incident means it was cleaned twice yesterday

I'm not hopeful about its state when I return.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST September - /18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/9/17 £2152.27/£3,500, 61.5/66.6% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 4,029 Posts
    • 47,324 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all.

Hope you're all ok and that the poorlies feel better soon.

It is dry so I can keep up with my plans today to have a lovely walk with LittleyDog and Poppet and then get some gardening done.

So far I have fed me and the dogs, done a meal plan and shopping list, tidied the fridge and done a freezer inventory, and have a hm quiche in the oven which I'll keep in the fridge for lunches over the next couple of days.

Washing up, make the bed and getting dressed next but I must have my second cup of tea first.

Have a great day everyone.

• funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 11th Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,413 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Hi all x

Sorry I've been awol. DDs bug ended up doing the rounds it never missed anyone. I was just starting to feel better when the agency phoned with some work for me. It taking me a while to get back into the swing of things. So today I'm on a mission to get some order in this house.
    Task one laundry starts now!
    Love, hugs, spoons, sticks to all who are in need xxx
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 11th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,413 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    WM on
    Bathroom cleaned, washing basket brought downstairs, rubbish (mostly loo roll tubes) binned, everything that should be in the cabinet put back in the cabinet so just the floor to do in there.
    Having a cuppa then I'll make a start on the LR
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 4,029 Posts
    • 47,324 Thanks
    Jazee
    Dogs walked, rubbish and recycling out and I've had another cuppa. About to get out in the garden.

• YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 11th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 4,277 Posts
    • 34,540 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

DS1 cleaned the kitchen for me yesterday but he likes to rearrange things - moving the kettle to a different place on the worktop, putting things in a different cupboard etc. I get very irritated by this, a bit irrational but its MY kitchen. I wouldnt say anything to him, he is very helpful and I am lucky, but still.

Paid stuff to do. Doggie bedding washed and tumbled, not worth hanging it out. Another load in. Beds made, tidied around, bacon butties and cups of tea supplied by DH.

Need to solve the mystery of the school tie that has appeared in the kitchen with the initials LP on it, can think who LP is. Often have quite a few teenagers in and out but even DS2 doesnt know who it belongs to. Will stuff it in his school bag if all else fails.

Right - paid stuff.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 11th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 20,521 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    One load washing on line.
    Lots of 2 large shrubs pruned in readiness for reassessing an area and maybe making parking/bin stand more efficient on front drive.
    About 2K emails sorted, deleted or moved to new email setup since yesterday.

Cuddling frogs have finally deposited 4 large clumps of spawn in front pond. More cuddling frogs seen in back pond.
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 11th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 6,790 Posts
    • 86,672 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Lol I had 'cuddling' collared doves on my fence yesterday. Spring is in the air.

I've completely emptied DS wardrobe. He helped me sort some clothes and I took his lead to finish the rest. Top shelf of unidentified boxes emptied to look in. Mostly empty hornby stuff.

Think we may have a new way to keep his Lego.

Meh, they are both laid on me at the mo, it's most annoying. Evicting DS to a friends in a mo so will do craft stuff with mini. Hopefully we'll have a sort at the same time...

Just want to put my feet up and watch telly lol
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,749Posts Today

6,117Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin