Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Corona
    • By Corona 5th Mar 17, 5:17 PM
    • 729Posts
    • 627Thanks
    Corona
    Budget moisturiser & night cream?
    • 5th Mar 17, 5:17 PM
    Budget moisturiser & night cream? 5th Mar 17 at 5:17 PM
    I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a budget brand skin moisturiser (with SP15) and nightcream? I've been using Boots for about 10 years now and, although they really suit my skin (which is why I haven't changed), they are expensive (around £24 each - usually on 3 for the price of 2, so it works out at around £16 each - still a lot). It needs to be perfume free as well (my skin really reacts to that).

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Page 1
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 5th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 2,185 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 5th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 5th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    To be honest spf15 is nothing, should look at least 20+

Marks and Spencer own brand is excellent.
    • SmarterNotHarder
    • By SmarterNotHarder 5th Mar 17, 5:59 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    SmarterNotHarder
    • 5th Mar 17, 5:59 PM
    • 5th Mar 17, 5:59 PM
    I like the Superdrug Vitamin E range - £2.99 a pot of 100ml, there's an SPF 15 day cream and a night cream in the range. Superdrug's own products are cruelty free too.

I end up trying better more expensive ranges and keep coming back to this one.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 6th Mar 17, 7:56 AM
    • 524 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    • 6th Mar 17, 7:56 AM
    • 6th Mar 17, 7:56 AM
    Why do you want SP in your cream?
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 6th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 12,059 Posts
    • 11,435 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    Lots of people swear by the one Aldi sells; I've not tried it myself and tend to find some moisturisers have mineral oil or petroleum oil which gives me spots so can't get away with trying so many things like this.

What I do is splash out on more expensive creams for daywear (making sure they have an SPF) because this is when I need to look presentable. But really use very basic stuff overnight (just making sure it's natural or as natural as I can get away with). I had worked out that if I can work on protecting my skin from damage as much as possible during the day and trying to boost the moisture/vitamins etc overnight with a dense but cheaper moisturiser.

Some people pare things right down and just use things like oils all day every day, this doesn't work for me (it just makes me look shiney and my skin feel itchy) but if it does work for you, it could be something to try?

It's also worth noting that as much as so many swear by Crème De Mer, apparently the bulk of the ingredients are petroleum oil and mineral oil (or otherwise known as very cheap ingredients). Of course there could be wide variations on the difference in quality of these ingredients but it always made me wonder at just how much we can get away with if we have fairly flexible skin.

Other than this; existing on samples and samples (Ebay is great for this but only buy from ebay if you are sure you can spot a fake version from a real version- my theory is people are less likely to sell fake samples than they are fake versions of the real deal). Also ask girly friends or if you have any similar aged family, ask them what they use as sometimes they have products that didn't work for them and products they want to try and arranging things like swaps and so on can mean you can try new things.
    • hawkeye123
    • By hawkeye123 6th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    hawkeye123
    • 6th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    Just wanted to offer some advice as someone who has searched high and low for good moisturisers. It really depends on your skin type.

As a dry skin person, I am currently using the Eucerin range which includes Urea and it is amazingly nourishing and has lovely ingredients. It isn't the cheapest but a little of this goes a long way so the bottle lasts ages. You could also try Oilatum which is a cult classic of many.

However if you have more oily skin, I have read great things about the Simple Kind To Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser which also some great ingredients and is more affordable.

Finally, it is really best to use a standalone SPF product as I've heard spf in products like moisturisers or makeup isn't the same thing. Hope that's helpful!
    • asajj
    • By asajj 6th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 3,883 Posts
    • 9,290 Thanks
    asajj
    • 6th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    Superdrug suggested above is indeed great. £24 a pot is not really budget. You can buy Eucerine or Avene for that price i guess.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • nuttywoman
    • By nuttywoman 6th Mar 17, 11:03 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 2,158 Thanks
    nuttywoman
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:03 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:03 PM
    I bought a pot of Astral last week and I`m pleasantly surprised how good it is . Its been around since the 50`s
    • pandora205
    • By pandora205 6th Mar 17, 11:29 PM
    • 2,746 Posts
    • 2,598 Thanks
    pandora205
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:29 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:29 PM
    I've been using My Trusty Sunflower Cream developed by the Dermatology Department at Salisbury Hospital. I discovered it by accident when I was browsing in my local pharmacy one day and thought I'd give it a go. It's lovely and easily absorbed. There are lots of reviews online.
    http://mytrustyskincare.co.uk/about-my-trusty-skincare
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 7th Mar 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 8,347 Thanks
    grunnie
    I've been using My Trusty Sunflower Cream developed by the Dermatology Department at Salisbury Hospital. I discovered it by accident when I was browsing in my local pharmacy one day and thought I'd give it a go. It's lovely and easily absorbed. There are lots of reviews online.
    http://mytrustyskincare.co.uk/about-my-trusty-skincare
    Originally posted by pandora205
    Thanks for the link I have just ordered some body butter.
    • RightyTightyLeftyLoosey
    • By RightyTightyLeftyLoosey 7th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 858 Thanks
    RightyTightyLeftyLoosey
    I used to use (and love) Clinque Superdefense with SPF, until I discovered Simple Day Cream SPF30. Comes in a pump so its great for travelling and last for ages. You can usually pick it up for less than a fiver.
    • MrsLWW
    • By MrsLWW 10th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    MrsLWW
    I love the derma V10 range. Their unscented hand cream is just the business, moisturising without being greasy - I rave about it all the time to my colleagues (NHS staff so forever washing our hands) and as a double bonus you can get it from the pound shop or half size ones from home bargains for 69p.

After using this I decided to take a chance on their face creams (at £1 a throw I wasn't going to be overly upset if they weren't great and could always use them as body cream if they didn't suit my face). I have to say, both the day (spf 15) and the night cream, were actually really nice. Worth a try for £1.
    My parents always said "If you can't afford it cash, you can't afford it!" so true!
    .... mind you, turns out we can't afford much lol

Debt peak approx £27,500 Total debt Jan2017: £21,249 Feb2017: £20,953 March17:£19,223
    • Finefoot
    • By Finefoot 24th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    Finefoot
    Lacura range from Lidl is really good and pocket friendly. I have dry skin.
    £1650 so far this year reclaimed from Lloyds bank.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

877Posts Today

6,825Users online

Martin's Twitter