Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benblacker
    • By benblacker 5th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 6Thanks
    benblacker
    saving £100 by youtubeing the answer
    • 5th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    saving £100 by youtubeing the answer 5th Mar 17 at 5:28 PM
    Hello all

Been a big fan of this website for years but never had anything to post about till today(well yesterday)
    My up stairs toilet started to take a age to refill after we flushed it so i called a local plumber to see how much it would cost etc....
    Only around £100 for time parts etc so i said hell no and i remembered reading a post where a person went to youtube and found a video to fix there issue so i did the same.
    in all i did the job and it only cost me £3.99 well £6.99 as i brought the wrong part because i didnt listen to the video and take the old part with me
    The video i watched is youtu.be/JyMw11SeLMs

i was so happy i watched another video about changing bathroom taps so i did that as well but sorry i didnt bookmark that video but im sure you can find it on youtube
    now off to find a video on how to fix my dead dyson
Page 1
    • London50
    • By London50 5th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    • 5th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 5th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    I have thought over a number of years that You tube D I Y videos are a great idea as they show {most of the time} normal people rather than tradesmen doing the more simple jobs far cheaper than calling in a qualified person.
    Most of the old TV programs that used to be on gave the impression ANYONE with a few basic tools could achieve near perfect results but normally this was not the case.
    Good on you doing a bit of checking and saving a lot of both time and money and good luck for any future projects you take on :0)
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 5th Mar 17, 7:33 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 5th Mar 17, 7:33 PM
    • 5th Mar 17, 7:33 PM
    They are great! I thought our plumbing was gong to be an expensive fix because when the toilet was flushed it sounded like the pipework was screaming and clanging in the walls through the house. A check on it found it to be something called 'hammering' and it was a faulty ballcock valve! I thought it would cost a couple of hundred or more to get a plumber to check it but it cost about a £10 for the valve and I replaced it myself!
    • midnightraven3
    • By midnightraven3 5th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 6,646 Thanks
    midnightraven3
    • 5th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 5th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    My Dyson was blocked the other day, i went onto youtube and found a video of a man stripping one down to clean it, just the ticket for me

As i watched it, he said he was on holiday, and was delighted at finding a dirt Dyson to strip down and clean as his at home never gets that dirty, he had all his cleaning gear and wipes with him

I bet his wife was pleased
    however I appreciated his video as i can never remember all the bits you can strip off and clean
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 6th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Wassa123
    • 6th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    Yep great.

I've learnt:
    - replacing light switches
    - replacing light fittings
    - fixing toilet (inlet, flush, seals)
    - fix leaky tap
    - removing skirting
    - rehanging/adjusting doors
    - rebalance central heating
    - fixing tv aerial reception
    - replacing door locks

It's great!
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 7th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 8,442 Posts
    • 20,660 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    A bit late to the party but I love this thread!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,851Posts Today

8,165Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin