Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fallen angel 69
    • By fallen angel 69 4th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 364Posts
    • 286Thanks
    fallen angel 69
    Fiat 500 v's Kia Picanto
    • 4th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    Fiat 500 v's Kia Picanto 4th Mar 17 at 7:26 PM
    I'm thinking of buying a new car as I now have to drive to a couple places for work a week .I normally walk . The journeys I'd make would be one at 45 miles and one at 22 miles both on A roads .
    I've seen a Fiat 500 that I like also a Kia Picanto I'm wondering which is best
    They are both a 1.2 auto engine . I drive auto's due to knee problems so I don't have to use my bad leg so much .
    They are similar money have similar mileage on them . The picante is 4 doors and the 5oo has only 2 doors . Most of the time there's only me in the car or just me and my daughter I do occasionally carry another passenger that seems to be every 6 weeks or so . The picante costs £110 year tax the fiat £30 a year They are with £30 of each other to insure
    I'd like some advice on which is the best to drive what's the most ecomical to run and which is likely to give me the least amount of problems . I've only been driving a while and this will be my 2nd car to buy . The only help my dad has come up with is which one do you like best . To that it's I like the 500 for retro look and the picanto for having 4 doors .
    one must tolerate a world full of demons for the sake of an angel
    INSPIRED is when you think you can do anything
    MANIC is when you know you can

Page 2
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 8th Mar 17, 2:03 PM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 8,510 Thanks
    wymondham
    Fiats will be better built as Kia are budget cars...
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 8th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 4,925 Posts
    • 4,641 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    Fiats will be better built as Kia are budget cars...
    Originally posted by wymondham
    I don't think so! When Fiat can offer a 7 year warranty, as Kia do, then you might have a point. Kias are budget cars because car workers in South Korea aren't paid very much.

According to the Warranty Direct index of reliability the Kia Picanto comes out at 19 and the Fiat 500 at 70 (out of a hundred).
    Last edited by iolanthe07; 08-03-2017 at 4:45 PM.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 9th Mar 17, 1:14 AM
    • 3,484 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    Tilt
    I don't think so! When Fiat can offer a 7 year warranty, as Kia do, then you might have a point. Kias are budget cars because car workers in South Korea aren't paid very much.

According to the Warranty Direct index of reliability the Kia Picanto comes out at 19 and the Fiat 500 at 70 (out of a hundred).
    Originally posted by iolanthe07
    I myself prefer to go on experience. I've owned 16 Fiats since 1978 and have only really had a reliability issue with one. I currently own a MK2 Punto HGT which I bought new in 2000 so it's now 17 years old. It's done 85k and still has the original clutch in it. All the electrics work (including the supposedly 'dodgy' 'city' steering function. It dosn't rattle or creak in fact most people who takes a ride in her say that she's more like a car half it's age. The only big expense has been a cam belt change.

I also own a 65 plate 500x (the SUV which, in my opinion, should be called something else because like the Mini Countryman, it's too big to be named after it's smaller iconic cousin) which is a really nice car to drive. Transmission and gear change is one of the most precise i've driven. My only negative comment is that they are tad pricey but most SUVs are for some reason. I know of at least one person in my circle of friends who has owned 2 500's and says that they will deffo be having another.

So going on my actual experience, I can highly recommend the marque without hesitation.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 9th Mar 17, 2:20 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    Hyundai/Kia will always be better built and reliable than a Fiat and European manufacturing in general

and talk about low wages, South Korea has a higher wage levels than Germany France and the United Kingdom so maybe it's Europe that's cheap labour.

Also most Hyundai Motor company cars are built outside South Korea thus the competitive pricing, although Hyundai is such a vast Cheabol that it benefits from economies of scale most car manufacturers are unable to match
    Last edited by mr_accountant; 09-03-2017 at 2:24 AM.
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 9th Mar 17, 7:52 AM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 8,510 Thanks
    wymondham

Originally posted by iolanthe07
    If you've driven both you'll know what I was getting at..... the 'feel' of it
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 9th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 4,925 Posts
    • 4,641 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    South Korea has a higher wage levels than Germany France and the United Kingdom

I find that very surprising. Do you have a link?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 9th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    • 26,239 Posts
    • 33,321 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    I'd personally get another Kia if I was in the market. Nippy, economical (55 average for me) cheap to insure, easy to get in and out of (if aged)
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I had the original Hyundai i10 which the Picanto is still based on for 6 years, you'll find plenty of 2nd hand ones around and they're reliable little cheap cars.

I swapped it for the the 2nd generation i10 when they came out (3 years ago) and it's a vastly different beast to the 1st gen one. Much more upmarket and there's a reason it's always in the mix (if not outright winning) for What Cars city car of the year award as was the original one.

Make sure you look at them too.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 9th Mar 17, 4:01 PM
    • 4,925 Posts
    • 4,641 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    If you've driven both you'll know what I was getting at..... the 'feel' of it
    Originally posted by wymondham
    I have driven both and I accept that the Fiat has more street cred and is nicer to drive (though not the 'automatic' 'versions). I still think the Picanto offers better value for money, is better equipped pound for pound, has a much longer warranty and is an excellent choice for someone who needs a small automatic.
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 9th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 5,271 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    alanrowell
    The Fiat is small inside, wouldn't want to take more than one other person in one. Boot is small so you'll be using the back seats a lot
    • fallen angel 69
    • By fallen angel 69 20th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    fallen angel 69
    Thank you all for your help . It seems the picanto is the right way to go
    one must tolerate a world full of demons for the sake of an angel
    INSPIRED is when you think you can do anything
    MANIC is when you know you can

• 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 20th Mar 17, 8:15 PM
    • 7,892 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I'm thinking of buying a new car as I now have to drive to a couple places for work a week .I normally walk . The journeys I'd make would be one at 45 miles and one at 22 miles both on A roads .
    I've seen a Fiat 500 that I like also a Kia Picanto I'm wondering which is best
    They are both a 1.2 auto engine . I drive auto's due to knee problems so I don't have to use my bad leg so much .
    They are similar money have similar mileage on them . The picante is 4 doors and the 5oo has only 2 doors . Most of the time there's only me in the car or just me and my daughter I do occasionally carry another passenger that seems to be every 6 weeks or so . The picante costs £110 year tax the fiat £30 a year They are with £30 of each other to insure
    I'd like some advice on which is the best to drive what's the most ecomical to run and which is likely to give me the least amount of problems . I've only been driving a while and this will be my 2nd car to buy . The only help my dad has come up with is which one do you like best . To that it's I like the 500 for retro look and the picanto for having 4 doors .
    Originally posted by fallen angel 69
    Try a Suzuki Swift as well ...
    they also have a proper torque convertor auto gear box...
    and with a new model coming in a few months - bargains abound
    they are extremely reliable and economical as well
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 20-03-2017 at 8:21 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

347Posts Today

2,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin