Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 4th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    • 2,652Posts
    • 1,483Thanks
    Annie1960
    HSBC PPI during 1990s
    • 4th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    HSBC PPI during 1990s 4th Mar 17 at 4:30 PM
    How far back can I go with a claim?

I had two car loans during the 1990s, and I seem to recall these both automatically added PPI.

They were with HSBC, and I still have the same current account, so I know the account details. However, I have not kept the loan paperwork.

I've read about the 6 year rule, so perhaps I have been time barred?

Does anyone know the position regarding how far back I can go?
Page 2
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 26th Mar 17, 3:35 PM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Does a personal loan count as a separate account?

I still have the same current account and linked savings account - they paid the first loan into the latter.

I think the loan repayments should be listed on old bank statements, but I haven't kept these, although Midland Bank may have these on microfiche.
    Originally posted by Annie1960
    DSAR is a request for all the data they hold on you, it would include all the finance products they have records of
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 26th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Is there a standard letter I should send to them? Would the following suffice?

Dear HSBC

Subject Access Request

I would like to request copies of all information HSBC holds on me, back to my original account with Midland Bank which I opened around 1983.

I would like all information from all sources including legacy systems and microfiche.

I enclose a cheque for £10 in line with the Data Protection Act.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 26th Mar 17, 5:14 PM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Is there a standard letter I should send to them? Would the following suffice?

Dear HSBC

Subject Access Request

I would like to request copies of all information HSBC holds on me, back to my original account with Midland Bank which I opened around 1983.

I would like all information from all sources including legacy systems and microfiche.

I enclose a cheque for £10 in line with the Data Protection Act.
    Decent template here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1475553
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 3rd Apr 17, 12:03 PM
    • 4,660 Posts
    • 3,806 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I had a personal loan with PPI from HSBC taken out in 1999. I didn't have any of the paperwork left but I filled in as many details I could remember using the MSE Resolver tool a couple of weeks ago. This morning I had a call from HSBC to confirm some details and they that said they should have a decision soon.

Previously I hadn't bothered with a claim as I assumed that it was too long ago but I suppose nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much but it would be nice to get some money back and at least I won't be lining the pockets of a PPI claims company. A few hundred quid would be nice.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 3rd Apr 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Annie1960
    I am currently checking the correct address to use.

their online chat person said:

HSBC
    Griffin House
    1-01
    41 Silver Street Head
    Sheffield
    S1 3GG

The HSBC website says send SAR requests to:

HSBC
    PPI Complaints
    PO Box 6177
    Coventry
    CV3 9HP

I have also asked on Twitter and await with interest what they say!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Apr 17, 4:44 PM
    • 18,757 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Why ask numerous times? Just send the SAR to one of the addresses you were given. As long as it goes to a HSBC address, it will be forwarded to the correct department.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 3rd Apr 17, 4:44 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Just had a Twitter response back saying to send the SAR request to local branch. I'm not sure I like the sound of that, as they will presumably not have microfiche etc.

Has anyone else sent a SAR request to their local HSBC branch with any success?
    Last edited by Annie1960; 03-04-2017 at 4:51 PM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Apr 17, 4:51 PM
    • 18,757 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Just had a Twitter response back saying to send the SAR request to local branch. I'm not sure I like the sound of that, as they will presumably not have microfiche etc.
    Why ask numerous times? Just send the SAR to one of the addresses you were given. As long as it goes to a HSBC address, it will be forwarded to the correct department. The local Branch won't deal with the request directly, they will simply forward it on your behalf..
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 3rd Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Why ask numerous times? Just send the SAR to one of the addresses you were given. As long as it goes to a HSBC address, it will be forwarded to the correct department.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Obviously I want to send it to the most appropriate address.

I don't assume it will be sent to the correct department. Having worked for a large organisation, I suspect it is unlikely to end up on the correct address if it is not sent straight there.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Apr 17, 4:56 PM
    • 18,757 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I don't assume it will be sent to the correct department. Having worked for a large organisation, I suspect it is unlikely to end up on the correct address if it is not sent straight there.
    Well, an HSBC address was provided on this thread TEN DAYS ago so (even allowing for delays while it was forwarded) you have wasted all that time so far.

Just post the letter remembering to enclose the requisite cheque.

Do be aware that the £10 is not refundable.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 3rd Apr 17, 8:21 PM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Obviously I want to send it to the most appropriate address.

A DSAR is a formal request bound by ICO guidelines, firms can be fined for not following the law, whatever inefficient firms you may have experience of, they only have 40 days to deal with a DSAR so it's in their interests to get it right
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 15th Apr 17, 12:59 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Annie1960
    I've had a response back from the Sheffield address.

They want me to fill in a form to nominate a branch as they will not send any information directly to me. I will then need to go to this branch to collect any information.

Has anyone else experienced this? Will I need to bring a wheelbarrow to collect the papers, or can I expect them to be in a manageable bundle?

The answer to this will determine which branch I select.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 15th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I've had a response back from the Sheffield address.

They want me to fill in a form to nominate a branch as they will not send any information directly to me. I will then need to go to this branch to collect any information.

Has anyone else experienced this? Will I need to bring a wheelbarrow to collect the papers, or can I expect them to be in a manageable bundle?

The answer to this will determine which branch I select.
    It is probably company policy, some will send it direct

Depending how many products you had, how long and how much they have left yes you could end up with boxes of paper, or just a few sheets
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 17th May 17, 11:50 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Annie1960
    I collected my information today.

No information further back than 2005. They sent me a computer print-out on that old-fashioned printer paper with the holes down the side. It includes every transaction back to 2005.

Also another section called 'Utility' where they have some fairly cheeky information, eg working out how much they think I'm worth to them, and guessing the value of my house!!!!

Also a section on 'Risks', but that it empty so they must not see me as a risk.

No information from microfiche which I had thought there might be from reading other threads and other websites.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th May 17, 10:53 PM
    • 18,757 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    No information from microfiche which I had thought there might be from reading other threads and other websites.
    There was actually no guarantee that they would have any records going back even to 2005. On closed accounts, for instance, all records older than six years would definitely be already deleted.

As expected, a wasted £10. The SAR just confirmed what the Bank already told you two months back. They really do no longer have any record going back so far.

"Cheeky" information???
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

447Posts Today

4,294Users online

Martin's Twitter