Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DocTim
    • By DocTim 4th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    DocTim
    Ford Ecoboost - engine failure
    • 4th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    Ford Ecoboost - engine failure 4th Mar 17 at 2:58 PM
    We bought my daughter a second-hand Ford Focus just over a year ago, with the new 1.0 Ecoboost 125 bhp engine. Bought it from a non-Ford car dealer. Found it was loosing coolant after buying it. The car dealer was useless but we found out there was a recall by Ford to fix a coolant degas pipe, that was likely to fail completely and destroy the engine. So the car was booked into the local Ford dealer about 9 months ago, the pipe replaced and the coolant loss fixed. Last week the engine failed - I suspect a blown head gasket.

The car is now just over 4 years old, so outside it's Ford warrenty. It's done about 50,000 miles, with a full service history (last two non-Ford). If it is a failed head gasket, then this would be related to the coolant loss - a design fault. We don't know how it was treated prior to my daughter getting it (e.g. if the previous owner let the coolant run very low).

My daughter's spoken to Ford, who said take it into the local dealer (we'll have to get it towed there) and pay for a diagnosis. Then they will consider it.

What do you think the chances are of Ford paying for the repair?
    If Ford refuse to cover the repair costs, it is worth pursueing this?

Thanks

Tim
Page 3
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 19,135 Posts
    • 14,820 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I suspect that for cars the percentage suffering from some sort of defect is not that far off 100%. To expect only 0.00034% to have a defect is living in cloud cuckoo land.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 3rd Jan 18, 2:30 PM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 4,067 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    I suspect that for cars the percentage suffering from some sort of defect is not that far off 100%. To expect only 0.00034% to have a defect is living in cloud cuckoo land.
    Originally posted by agrinnall

Absolutely. It's 100%.
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 3rd Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    I work with manufacturers of all sizes from <1m to >1bn in all industries, and not one of them reaches anything close to 3.4/1 mi defects - quoting an arbitrary, ambitious target from a continuous improvement goal doesn't mean Ford or any other automotive manufacturer are working towards or expecting to reach a 6σ goal - if they did, there would be far fewer car dealerships in existence as the incidences of failure in vehicles wouldn't support the size of the networks.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Fair enough on the 6 sigma target.

But also, Ecoboost sold world wide cover not only the 1.0L version with the issue in the Focus. There are many other sizes, 1.5, 2.0 and larger. So that makes your figure even smaller.
    Ask those who post here a question .... who are you?! Consider vested interests before believing comments made by people here. Many are 'buy to let' landlords.
    Peace.
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 3rd Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    Of course... but I'm talking about a £5000 bill for replacing the failed engine block between 15k and 60k miles on the clock.

That should be close to very very uncommon?
    Ask those who post here a question .... who are you?! Consider vested interests before believing comments made by people here. Many are 'buy to let' landlords.
    Peace.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 3rd Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 4,067 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Of course... but I'm talking about a £5000 bill for replacing the failed engine block between 15k and 60k miles on the clock.

That should be close to very very uncommon?
    Originally posted by TickersPlaysPop
    Tell that to BMW, Jaguar, or any of the other Nikasil users.

330 failed ecoBoost motors is well within the realms of how many I'd expect just to be abused or misused from even 100K sold. I'd wager more than 0.33% of car buyers never check the oil, tyres, coolant, etc, etc.
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 3rd Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    Tell that to BMW, Jaguar, or any of the other Nikasil users.

330 failed ecoBoost motors is well within the realms of how many I'd expect just to be abused or misused from even 100K sold. I'd wager more than 0.33% of car buyers never check the oil, tyres, coolant, etc, etc.
    Ok, so what percentage of failed engines do you think would be reported on a Facebook group page on the topic? My guess is quite a low percentage.

Also, many of the cars had full Ford service history.
    Peace.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 3rd Jan 18, 10:41 PM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 4,067 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Ok, so what percentage of failed engines do you think would be reported on a Facebook group page on the topic? My guess is quite a low percentage.

Also, many of the cars had full Ford service history.
    I wouldn't know, but the amount of advertising you're doing alone will push the number up.

FSH does not reliability make. Turbocharged engines very often burn oil. A car that only has its bonnet lifted once a year at a service and is never checked in between could be running with no lubricant for all the owner cares.
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 8th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    I wouldn't know, but the amount of advertising you're doing alone will push the number up.

FSH does not reliability make. Turbocharged engines very often burn oil. A car that only has its bonnet lifted once a year at a service and is never checked in between could be running with no lubricant for all the owner cares.
    FSH does Fords responsibility make.

Without a FSH Ford CRC claim they have no responsibility and refuse to pay for a full engine replacement... but even then... if people stand up and quote the Facebook page and follow the instructions on the pinned post people save £4000-5000.

The advertising is intentional as an alturistic act to pass on the help I had from one of the original victims of this terrible mess. If the customer service was good it would be bearable but people have to fight and often wait weeks without a courtesy car.
    Peace.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 10th Jan 18, 8:15 AM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    adonis10
    I would be more concerned about a cheaply produced turbo, fitted to an engine subject higher RPMs that that of a Diesel.
    It has become clear to me that unlike other makes, Ford don't build their cars to last even 1000 miles more than they're designed for.

I have a Mondeo and the build quality and attention to detail is sorely lacking when compared to my old Vectra. Even stupid things like not designing proper covers for access to the tail lights via the boot, not having seatbelts that are held out of the way when dropping the rear seats forward, a great big hole just in front of the drivers seat containing a channel for cables where once stepped on the carpet gets ripped up, and under the hood plastic clips/screws holding everything in place, very easily broken/damaged.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Interesting comment and one which I am interested in as am currently considering buying a 1.0 ecoboost. What is the general consensus of how long they build them to last, in mileage terms?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 1,370 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Interesting comment and one which I am interested in as am currently considering buying a 1.0 ecoboost. What is the general consensus of how long they build them to last, in mileage terms?
    Originally posted by adonis10
    Everything Strider590 posts needs to be taken somewhat with a pinch of salt.

My previous car was a 2004 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 130 Ghia. I bought it at 3 years old on 90,000 miles. I kept it 5 years, sold it at 8 years old with over 168,000 miles on the clock. Still on original clutch, turbo, injectors, EGR valve. Other than service items it required an alternator, a battery, one rear brake caliper, a plastic turbo intercooler hose and rear subframe bushes. Check for yourself on the MOT history page: Reg EG04DVP

Current car is a 2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 140 Zetec. I bought it at 2 years old with 38,000 on the clock. I've done almost 89,000 miles in the last 5 years and it has just passed its MOT this morning with no advisories at 126,735 miles. It is still on original clutch, turbo, EGR valve, injectors and DPF filter. Other than service items all it has had is bonnet catch replaced under recall due to design change, one trailing link arm bush at 70,000 miles, and in the last couple of months a battery and a track rod end.

In both cases both of those vehicles were serviced at standard manufacturers intervals by local main Ford dealer despite the mileage as Ford services are actually quite well priced.

So there are two cars that are well over what is considered the lifetime of a vehicle. No idea how long my current Mondeo will last but if it is anything like the last one I've still got a fair few years left.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 10-01-2018 at 2:45 PM.
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 14th Jan 18, 5:59 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    Originally posted by adonis10
    Look here and make your own mind up...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

Engines can fail from 15k onwards... plus terrible customer service.
    Peace.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    • 19,135 Posts
    • 14,820 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Look here and make your own mind up...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

Engines can fail from 15k onwards... plus terrible customer service.
    But don't just look there, that group consists of a miniscule proportion of owners, and most of the rest, like me, are perfectly happy with their vehicles.
    • facade
    • By facade 14th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 2,963 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    facade
    That is like rushing to buy a K series engined car because the neighbour is still running a Rover, wheras the one I had had 2 "improved" headgasket kits in 4 years.

I can never win the lottery, but I guarantee that any car I buy will be from that "miniscule portion"
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 14th Jan 18, 8:13 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    But don't just look there, that group consists of a miniscule proportion of owners, and most of the rest, like me, are perfectly happy with their vehicles.
    There is also a lot of anecdotal evidence from breakdown men and garages that the ecoboost engines have an issue.

Coupled with this is the number of people that state their new engines are on back order which would appear to back up the fact that they're failing faster than they can build them at times.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th Jan 18, 8:18 PM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 1,370 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Coupled with this is the number of people that state their new engines are on back order which would appear to back up the fact that they're failing faster than they can build them at times.
    Originally posted by hollie.weimeraner
    I would have argued that that actually demonstrates that they're selling cars with eco-boost engines in as fast as they can make them given the lack of them broken down at the roadside. I travel 400 miles or more PER DAY FIVE DAYS A WEEK up and down the UK major road network and don't see broken down Fords. Surely if it was as bad as you're claiming you'd think I'd see at least one. Given that they're the most common engine that Ford sell to the point they can't keep up with manufacturing then it makes a few hundred or even thousand of them having a problem even less of an issue than some are trying to make out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,256Posts Today

8,661Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Of course but this question is about the specific "ladies first" rule. Ie a man giving a seat because it's a lady n? https://t.co/FBmEfwnHNM

• Today's twitter poll: Traditional manners have/had the concept of "ladies first". Is that compatible with gender eq? https://t.co/Qk4bC3pHjk

• RT @helwid87: @MartinSLewis Thankyou for your student loan refund advice. My £617 refund came through yesterday, making January less of a t?

• Follow Martin