Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DocTim
    • By DocTim 4th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    DocTim
    Ford Ecoboost - engine failure
    • 4th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    Ford Ecoboost - engine failure 4th Mar 17 at 2:58 PM
    We bought my daughter a second-hand Ford Focus just over a year ago, with the new 1.0 Ecoboost 125 bhp engine. Bought it from a non-Ford car dealer. Found it was loosing coolant after buying it. The car dealer was useless but we found out there was a recall by Ford to fix a coolant degas pipe, that was likely to fail completely and destroy the engine. So the car was booked into the local Ford dealer about 9 months ago, the pipe replaced and the coolant loss fixed. Last week the engine failed - I suspect a blown head gasket.

The car is now just over 4 years old, so outside it's Ford warrenty. It's done about 50,000 miles, with a full service history (last two non-Ford). If it is a failed head gasket, then this would be related to the coolant loss - a design fault. We don't know how it was treated prior to my daughter getting it (e.g. if the previous owner let the coolant run very low).

My daughter's spoken to Ford, who said take it into the local dealer (we'll have to get it towed there) and pay for a diagnosis. Then they will consider it.

What do you think the chances are of Ford paying for the repair?
    If Ford refuse to cover the repair costs, it is worth pursueing this?

Thanks

Tim
Page 2
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 6th Mar 17, 1:19 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    So its exactly the same car I have. No idea how a shaped cover is "a bit of carpet shoved into a gap" just because its made to match the rest of the boot trim. The clip holding the light in place isn't fragile and there's actually two of them. Not seen any cable ties under the bonnet of mine and a plastic clip is no worse than a metal one which can rust. The airbox is bolted down on mine. Neither are the screws and bolts on the car rusting any more than any other vehicle I've owned.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Go on then, remove your airbox, it'll soon become obvious...... It's only held by friction and the hoses. But to remove it there is a cable tied just above the front mount, which needs to be cut away to prevent damage.
    The air intake tubing is also friction mounted into the duct in front of the radiator, it's then had a ring of grey foam shoved in to fill any gaps.

The shaped pieces of carpet that literally hold in place with friction, what a bodge.
    I'll tell you the Vectra had a proper cover, hinged with a catch.

The light, I was talking about the bulb holder for the tail light, that actually rattles around because it's only held at it's central point.

Cable ties can be found holding the wiring loom in most locations under the hood.

Additional to all that, I spotted something else that bothers me with the rear wheel ABS sensors, I noticed the corrugated sleeving has shrunk exposing the wires and just looks like someone didn't give two sh*ts when it was built.

Now if you one of these people who never really touched anything on their own car, I could understand your reaction, however I notice this stuff.
    Last edited by Strider590; 06-03-2017 at 1:27 AM.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • DocTim
    • By DocTim 11th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    DocTim
    Thanks for all the replies. We decided to book it into a Ford dealer to do diagnostics on it - they think it's a sticky injector sticking open and flooding one cylinder with petrol. A new injector's on order (not in stock). So we're hoping once that turn up it will fix it. The engine was stopped almost as soon as the fault developed, so hopefully there's no other damage.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Mar 17, 10:54 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,090 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Go on then, remove your airbox, it'll soon become obvious...... It's only held by friction and the hoses. But to remove it there is a cable tied just above the front mount, which needs to be cut away to prevent damage.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Mine isn't held in by friction and the hoses. Why would you need to remove it?

The light, I was talking about the bulb holder for the tail light, that actually rattles around because it's only held at it's central point.
    Mine has two clips. Maybe you've broken yours?

Cable ties can be found holding the wiring loom in most locations under the hood.
    They use those on all cars. Hell I had a classic car from the early 80s and it used them too.

Maybe you should stop buying £400 bangers and buy a decent one instead of a 200,000 mile one and maybe you should learn how to take it apart and put it back together without breaking stuff.
    • CF1995
    • By CF1995 14th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CF1995
    That's completely incorrect because there is both a temperature gauge and a warning light. The low fluid warning light would go on before the temperature started to get dangerously high and it would do it at a point there was still plenty of water in the system. In addition you'd most likely see some steam coming out of the bonnet on one side. When the hose fails it does not empty the cooling system instantaneously or even anywhere close. There is plenty of time to do it and in fact you could drive quite a few miles before any damage occurred. I've had top hoses split which do chuck a lot of water out and you have plenty of time to pull over and turn off the engine.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    This is where you are very wrong Tarambor - The MK3 Focus doesn't have a coolant level sensor so the ECU has no way of knowing if the level has dropped. Also, the temp gauge is very crude, once coolant temp hits 43c it rises to the middle and will stay there between 43 and 110c, it doesn't move in proportion to the actual coolant temp. Even when the coolant does empty, this temp sensor sits in the water way, which when there is air in there and not coolant, it doesn't pick up the rising temperature as well meaning by the time it has detected a very hot engine, it is too late, this is one of the thing Ford fixed in the 2015 version of the 1.0 and fitted a cylinder head temp sensor for this very reason.

Please get your facts straight before calling out people for apparently being wrong.
    • locomomojojo
    • By locomomojojo 30th Aug 17, 4:20 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    locomomojojo
    Tim - did you get Ford to pay 100% for the repair? I have set up a page specifically for this problem and have helped hundreds get full contribution from Ford. Its scandalous that they are not recalling these vehicles...
    • Grahamp1989
    • By Grahamp1989 5th Sep 17, 11:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Grahamp1989
    Focus ecoboost
    Hi, I've sent you a private message can you give me a link to your page. I've just started to experience the same problems. Degas pipe has been changed with the recall but still having issues with smoke intermittently from the exhaust. Any help to get ford to cover the costs of this would be great.
    • Redno5
    • By Redno5 10th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Redno5
    Hi there, could you send me the link to your site on the Coolant probs on the Ecoboost engine please. My daughters boyfriend has the same issue and we are about to start arguing with Ford tomorrow.
    Thanks Colin
    • locomomojojo
    • By locomomojojo 11th Sep 17, 1:13 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    locomomojojo
    Done For anyone else the group is called

'Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0L Turbo Zetec Faulty Coolant Pipe Engine Head Gasket'
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 11th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    For any of those affected by this or indeed if you have an ecoboost Ford (especially 2012 to 2014)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

I had one and got rid of mine as soon as I read the forum and started doing a bit of digging. The 180 cars on FB at the moment are only the tip of the iceberg.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,921Users online

Martin's Twitter