Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bellandbottle
    • By bellandbottle 4th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • 48Posts
    • 7Thanks
    bellandbottle
    Demand from Mil Collection for First Utility
    • 4th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    Demand from Mil Collection for First Utility 4th Mar 17 at 8:00 AM
    Yesterday I received a demand from Mil Collections for £11.58 for a supposed debt from 2013 when I was with First Utility. At first I thought it was an internet scam, and I called their head office to make certain they are genuine - which they appear to be.

I then called First Utility, and was reminded of part of the reason I left them by hanging on the phone for 20 minutes. I have now emailed FU CS, with a copy to Mil Collections - I am looking for evidence of an invoice.

Has anyone here any experience of this kind of activity, and is there any advice you can offer?
Page 1
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 4th Mar 17, 1:21 PM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 4th Mar 17, 1:21 PM
    • 4th Mar 17, 1:21 PM
    I'm afraid that that FU, (and all other suppliers), have up to 6 years to adjust previously issued bills.
    You are doing exactly the right thing by asking for a detailed bill that justifies the the late demand for more money
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 4th Mar 17, 2:06 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 4th Mar 17, 2:06 PM
    • 4th Mar 17, 2:06 PM
    ...amazing that they are chasing for such a small amount after 4 years !!
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 4th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 4th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 4th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    First Utility have got a bit of a reputation for this. I do not know whether it is their computer systems or what. A family member also switched away from FU and had confirmed everything was paid up to date. Meter readings matched, no outstanding bill etc.

A few years layer they sent an outstanding bill amount.

This was rebuffed via email, evidence attached, and all went silent. A year or so later they sent another, which was again rebuffed.

They seem to randomly send a final bill demand every so often but have never escalated the matter any further.

It is all very odd. It smacks of an issue with their computer systems.

Whether this is the case with you, it is a matter of looking at past bills and doing the numbers. Obviously requesting the evidence from them is a good first step.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 4th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 3,815 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 4th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 4th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    Yesterday I received a demand from Mil Collections for £11.58 for a supposed debt from 2013 when I was with First Utility. At first I thought it was an internet scam, and I called their head office to make certain they are genuine - which they appear to be.

I then called First Utility, and was reminded of part of the reason I left them by hanging on the phone for 20 minutes. I have now emailed FU CS, with a copy to Mil Collections - I am looking for evidence of an invoice.

Has anyone here any experience of this kind of activity, and is there any advice you can offer?
    Originally posted by bellandbottle
    You have done the right thing so far by requesting a copy of the bill (or other similar evidence with full details of what makes up the debt) if you really do not know what it relates to, or agree with it.

Once you have that detail, then if you have no reason to contest the amount demanded, I suggest you pay
    • bellandbottle
    • By bellandbottle 5th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    bellandbottle
    • 5th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 5th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    Many thanks to everyone for the advice - much appreciated.

I will continue to press FU for documentary evidence of what is owed, and if/when they produce that, I will settle up.

I am rather displeased that meter readings are registered on handover day, a final bill is produced and settled - and something like this pops out. I do suspect that it will cost FU more to dig out the evidence than the amount owing on this bill - but that is life.
    • bellandbottle
    • By bellandbottle 8th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    bellandbottle
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    An update for those folks giving me advice.

I have talked to Mil Collections a couple of times, and they have agreed to send me an First Utility invoice - they do not have one to hand, and have requested it from FU.

I have agreed to pay, assuming the invoice actually arrives, and makes sense.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 8th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    That's why its a good idea to keep your bills/statements for at least six years after you think you've paid the final one and left them.

Trying to sort it all out without your own evidence can be quite tricky if they just present you with a bill and you've got no evidence to refute it.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • dazza.mk
    • By dazza.mk 10th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    dazza.mk
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    I'm afraid that that FU, (and all other suppliers), have up to 6 years to adjust previously issued bills.
    You are doing exactly the right thing by asking for a detailed bill that justifies the the late demand for more money
    Originally posted by dogshome
    I've just had the same issue! Although dogshome is incorrect in purely quoting standard timelines on chasing debts. Since 2007 Energy suppliers have given a commitment to OFGEM to not backbill customers over 12 months where they are at fault

https://www.first-utility.com/help/bills-and-payments/what-is-back-billing
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Mar 17, 8:41 PM
    • 3,815 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    footyguy
    I've just had the same issue! Although dogshome is incorrect in purely quoting standard timelines on chasing debts. Since 2007 Energy suppliers have given a commitment to OFGEM to not backbill customers over 12 months where they are at fault

Originally posted by dazza.mk
    That's good, so you just had the same issue, have you?

Perhaps you could help the OP whilst they are stressing awaiting a response from the supplier, as to what exactly their additional bill is for, how it is made up, etc?

The fact that you can also assure the OP at this time that their debt is entirely down to the fault of the supplier will also appease them immensely, I'm sure.

Any chance you could tell me what tomorrows winning lottery numbers will be please?
    • eidman
    • By eidman 15th Mar 17, 10:01 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    eidman
    Mil collections for first utility
    I too have just received an email requesting £14.34, I assumed it was a scam & advised them so. As have not been a customer for at least 4 years.

Having read these threads am wondering if it could be legit. How can it be worthy them chasing such small amounts?!

Not sure how hey have come to this, but will ask for proof etc.

Has everyone else also received emails, or other communications, etc?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 15th Mar 17, 10:22 PM
    • 27,007 Posts
    • 13,131 Thanks
    Cardew

Originally posted by dazza.mk
    I suspect FU are claiming that they did produce a bill within the 12 months and those posters have failed to pay.

There have similar cases with other energy companies have 'sold' a block of this type of 'debt' on to Debt Collection Agencies. Often these debts are where the company produce a final bill using customer supplied meter readings; readings which are later disputed.

However I really am surprised that they are pursuing such small amounts.
    • croissantneuf
    • By croissantneuf 20th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    croissantneuf
    I too have just received an email requesting £14.34, I assumed it was a scam & advised them so. As have not been a customer for at least 4 years.

Having read these threads am wondering if it could be legit. How can it be worthy them chasing such small amounts?!

Not sure how hey have come to this, but will ask for proof etc.

Has everyone else also received emails, or other communications, etc?
    Originally posted by eidman
    This is common. I have just had the same from MIL for £19.60. Which is amusing as my last letter threatened FU with court for failing to send the money they owed me when I closed the account with them.

Our debts have been "sold" to MIL who will have bought a swodge of old debts (which is why lots are showing up right now) and will now proceed to dun each person by letter and try to recover more than they paid for the debts - we will get a series of increasingly insistent letters. There is a high probability that somewhere down the line these debts will be sold to another agency.

It's happened to me before. 02 debt of £20 went on for six years. It eventually stopped.

I have written to MIL: "Your ref: R0000000

You are asking for payment of an outstanding account with First Utility. I have no recollection or records of any outstanding amount.

I will address this if you would send me a copy of statements from First Utility which will prove that this amount is in fact owed. Note that I will not respond to any more dunning letters that do not provide proper documentation of the amount you claim is owed.
    • sarahmccallum
    • By sarahmccallum 22nd Mar 17, 5:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sarahmccallum
    me too....
    had an email from MIL this morning alleging an unpaid debt of £16.80 to First Utility. I don't recall this debt and have asked for evidence. I suspect it was an error on FU's part as they were pretty poor as far as I remember.

It looks to me from this thread that MIL have bought a large number of small debts, probably for pennies and are simply emailing en masse to try and get some easy wins. I doubt debts of this size are worth pursuing and I certainly shan't be paying unless someone provides evidence I owe them money.

I shan't be losing any sleep over this but it is useful to read other's experiences.
    • Caznco
    • By Caznco 24th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Caznco
    Ive just had one of these too for £13.34 I never owed them any money . The account has been closed for years . Im really not sure what to do for the best . This thread is really helpful as i wasn't even sure the company was legit. I will phone on Monday and request proof
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 25th Jun 17, 5:14 AM
    • 940 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    badmemory
    Remember to withhold your number or you will be getting calls from them all day
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 25th Jun 17, 11:43 AM
    • 3,815 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    footyguy
    Remember to withhold your number or you will be getting calls from them all day
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Not if payment for what is owed is made

Sounds like they have already benefitted from years of interest free credit ... which other customers like you and me have to ultimately pay for
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 25th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 11,435 Posts
    • 15,025 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    IIRC, MIL Collections also work for Private Parking Companies (PPCs) - have a look at the Motoring board's Parking Tickets board and you can find out what they're like.

Also, FU switched to the SAP system for customer billing a few years ago: many utility companies do this, and they tend to buy the entry level version instead of the industry-tailored one and then spend more money trying to get it changed to their needs.

It's like buying a little Fiesta 1.0 and trying to get it to go as fast as a Bugatti Veyron....

But many of the utility companies that bring in SAP seem to have a lot of problems once they've done it.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    Even my PC is nicknamed "GIBBS".
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 26th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    brewerdave

Sounds like they have already benefitted from years of interest free credit ... which other customers like you and me have to ultimately pay for
    Originally posted by footyguy
    .....but no-one has come back to say that they have received an explanation/recalculated bill for these petty amounts, so whether they have gained from "an interest free loan" is open to debate
    • markharding557
    • By markharding557 26th Jun 17, 2:35 PM
    • 2,892 Posts
    • 3,191 Thanks
    markharding557

Originally posted by footyguy
    You are just making an unfounded assumption, some or all of these claims may be wrong.
    Anyone with common sense would demand evidence of any owed monies. I could claim that you owe me £10 from an alleged transaction, without an admission it wouldn't count unless I could actually prove it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,804Posts Today

6,675Users online

Martin's Twitter