Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nella11
    • By Nella11 3rd Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nella11
    Can I apply for a new 0% credit card from company I already hold credit card with
    • 3rd Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    Can I apply for a new 0% credit card from company I already hold credit card with 3rd Mar 17 at 9:43 PM
    I have a Barclay card that I owe money on and a few other cards that I owe a small amount on each. I'm wondering if I can take up a new Barclay card 0% off to pay off the 'few other cards' as soon they aren't going to be interest free. So I will owe money on two Barclay cards? Thanks!
Page 1
    • Rothstein
    • By Rothstein 3rd Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Rothstein
    • 3rd Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    • 3rd Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    Despite Barclays allowing two cards and accepting an application online, it seems to result in a letter saying sorry but you can't have another, and the search has been removed

Better to try soft searche eligibility checkers ( as many as you can find) with other companies to get a suitable card
    • *Rainbow*Warrior*
    • By *Rainbow*Warrior* 3rd Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    *Rainbow*Warrior*
    • 3rd Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 3rd Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    You can have more than one Barclaycard - but you can't transfer a balance from one Barclaycard to another Barclaycard, so as long as your debts are on cards issued by a different company, you should be fine.

As you already have a Barclaycard you would have to apply online rather than over the phone.

It's also worth checking if there are any 0% balance transfer offers on your existing Barclaycard. They may not be for as long a term as you get on a new card, but it may be easier as you don't need to worry about searches etc.
    • Rothstein
    • By Rothstein 3rd Mar 17, 11:03 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Rothstein
    • 3rd Mar 17, 11:03 PM
    • 3rd Mar 17, 11:03 PM
    Have personal experience of 3 different individuals in the last 6 months who were accepted online for a second Barclaycard, only to be declined by letter after being accepted online.

Whilst this not apply to everyone, it is not as clear cut as it first appears
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 4th Mar 17, 4:14 AM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 4th Mar 17, 4:14 AM
    • 4th Mar 17, 4:14 AM
    Is there any particular reason why you want to put all your eggs in one basket and have 2 barclaycards?
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 4th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    20aday
    • 4th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 4th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    Personally I would use the MSE soft search tool for a new 0% balance transfer card rather than having two Barclaycards but that's my own opinion.

Nationwide and MBNA also have such tools on their respective websites too.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • A4445
    • By A4445 4th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    A4445
    • 4th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 4th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    I've recently been accepted for a second barclaycard
    • Nella11
    • By Nella11 4th Mar 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nella11
    • 4th Mar 17, 11:24 AM
    • 4th Mar 17, 11:24 AM
    Thanks for your replies. Using the soft search the cards that I'm eligible for are cards that I've already got 🙈 that's why I wanted another barclaycard to clear the others that the 0% is ending on. So if it wasn't another barclaycard i would still need two cards from one bank 😏
    • Rothstein
    • By Rothstein 4th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Rothstein
    • 4th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 4th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    Mbna happily give 2/3 cards?
    • joshp1993
    • By joshp1993 4th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    joshp1993
    Similar experience here. I was accepted online but when I rang up to enquire about the status of my application because I hadn't received a letter yet, the advisor said I wasn't eligible because I already held a Barclaycard.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 4th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    20aday
    Do you have a credit card with Tesco Bank at all?

Depending on your circumstances they are offering up to 40 months' interest free.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • The Urbanite
    • By The Urbanite 6th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    The Urbanite
    I've had a Barclaycard IHG Visa for a couple of years, always paid off in full. Was accepted for a 0% purchases and balance transfer Barclaycard Platinum last month. Duly received and maxed out. YMMV.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 6th Mar 17, 12:48 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    I've had a Barclaycard IHG Visa for a couple of years, always paid off in full. Was accepted for a 0% purchases and balance transfer Barclaycard Platinum last month. Duly received and maxed out. YMMV.
    Originally posted by The Urbanite
    What does YMMV mean?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • SeduLOUs
    • By SeduLOUs 6th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 2,329 Thanks
    SeduLOUs
    Last month I got accepted for and received a second Barclaycard. The new one is a Barclaycard platinum that I used for a balance transfer, and I already hold an Amex and Visa combo cashback card from them.

Can't transfer a balance from one Barclaycard to another though...
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 12,459 Posts
    • 12,629 Thanks
    zx81
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ymmv
    • steevio_uk
    • By steevio_uk 9th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    steevio_uk
    Is there any particular reason why you want to put all your eggs in one basket and have 2 barclaycards?
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    In my position, I currently have a Barclaycard with a £11.2k limit, but no current offers on it.

In my own circumstances, I'd love to have a 2nd Barclaycard and then transfer the limit across to it, if permitted, as I mentioned in my own thread.

I just have little idea whether it's something Barclaycard commonly do!

It'd be brilliant if they did... but it seems doubtful that they even cancel 2nd cards after application, even though they have an active 'get a second card' page on their website.
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 10th Mar 17, 7:10 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    I know someone that just last week apply for a second Barclaycard (balance transfer card). He did not get an instant response. Early this week he got an email that his card was on the way but with a £2k limit whilst on his first BC he has £12k. I have suggested for him to call customer service asking to move some of his Limit across and will report on what they tell him.

I personally already had 2 b/cards from before they had put a temporary stop to multiple cards per customers. Last summer I then applied for the Hilton Honors card, and after being declined, I called CS and got approved with an healthy limit, so now got three...
    • steevio_uk
    • By steevio_uk 10th Mar 17, 8:26 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    steevio_uk
    That'd be great if you could let me know the outcome. Thank you.
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 11th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    Update: my friend called yesterday and BC told him (not sure he understood 100% correctly), that he could share either one total limit across the two cards or split the total limit between the two cards, but he could not go ahead as he has yet to receive and activate the new card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,182Posts Today

6,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin