Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shiggaddi
    • By Shiggaddi 3rd Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 890Posts
    • 305Thanks
    Shiggaddi
    New Sky Deal on MSE - Not available
    • 3rd Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    New Sky Deal on MSE - Not available 3rd Mar 17 at 8:26 PM
    Having recently been allowed to leave BT, I was all set for signing up to EE on Topcashback's daily deals with £150 cashback meaning the deal would set me back about £200 over 18 months after cashback paid. However I then saw the Sky deal.

This deal is much better as the total cost over 12 months would be about £70 after receiving half price line rental and free broadband, plus £50 credit.

When signing up, I did the line check and postcode and was then told that the service was unavailable in my area, but their recommended deal was fibre at £10 a month plus full price line rental.

I find this strange as I have had Sky broadband in the past, and as this was over a year ago, it does state that it's only available to new customers and previous customers who left over a year ago, so being a past customer is not an issue.

Also, I live in Plymouth, and connected to one of the main exchanges, so if Sky are unable to provide broadband, I find this very strange. Also how come they can provide fibre and not the regular broadband?

This leads me to think that the deal advertised on MSE with only 35000 codes available to receive the offer is a ploy from Sky to get people to actually sign up for a more expensive package rather than a bargain deal. This is especially true when I've been a previous customer using exactly the same broadband.

Has anyone else who lives in an area which doesn't have trouble with broadband been rejected for the Sky offer?
Page 3
    • molly57.
    • By molly57. 16th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    molly57.
    Good Evening

I have now signed up with BT on another MSE offer. The whole thing took less than 5 minutes with absolutely no problems at all.

So SKY you have missed out because you will not supply Broadband to customers with low speed.
    • lowmiles
    • By lowmiles 16th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lowmiles
    Just bagged myself sky line rental and broadband for £84 a year!!! SAving over £280. Quick question do I need to cancel my talktalk contract or will that happen automatically?
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 16th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Just bagged myself sky line rental and broadband for £84 a year!!! SAving over £280. Quick question do I need to cancel my talktalk contract or will that happen automatically?
    Originally posted by lowmiles
    I am guessing that is the £64 deal plus £20 installation.

They are supposed to tell TalkTalk however it would not do you any harm to have them make a note on your account.

People have complained that TalkTalk have continued to charge for line rental, also that they have charged an extra month's fees and only crediting it back when client complain.

I cancelled my direct debit because I did not trust TalkTalk and sure enough they billed me the extra month AND they bill me for cancelling my direct debit, I told them to get lost and they eventually credited it.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 16th Mar 17, 7:31 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Good Evening

I have now signed up with BT on another MSE offer. The whole thing took less than 5 minutes with absolutely no problems at all.

So SKY you have missed out because you will not supply Broadband to customers with low speed.
    Originally posted by molly57.
    You would think that Sky would have a Fibre upsell at say £85 for those clients who are under 2mb, in which case I would imagine you would be on here saying how wonderful they were.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • lowmiles
    • By lowmiles 16th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lowmiles
    I am guessing that is the £64 deal plus £20 installation.

They are supposed to tell TalkTalk however it would not do you any harm to have them make a note on your account.

People have complained that TalkTalk have continued to charge for line rental, also that they have charged an extra month's fees and only crediting it back when client complain.

I cancelled my direct debit because I did not trust TalkTalk and sure enough they billed me the extra month AND they bill me for cancelling my direct debit, I told them to get lost and they eventually credited it.
    Originally posted by EdwardB
    Nice tip I'll be sure to let them know, yeah had to pay a £20 connection fee taking it up to £84
    • kathygrif
    • By kathygrif 17th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kathygrif
    Eventually got to the reason why I cannot get this offer.
    BT is reporting the wrong line speed to Sky.
    Postcode = OK Phone line = NO
    I had a poor connection several months ago, caused by a noisy line, which has been fixed and I have had a connection speed of over 5Mb for 3 months +
    BT Openreach is still reporting a line speed of 1.807 mbps to Sky for my number!!!
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 17th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Interesting way for BT to steal business from Sky by false reporting.

"Honest mistake Guv"
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 30th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 3,018 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    lstar337
    I signed up to the deal no problem, but had trouble finding a thread on MSE about it. Why is there not a thread setup to deal with each deal?

Anyway, I got the deal fine (living just outside Wells, Somerset).

Although a slight twist is that I didn't get £50 credit added to my first bill, I got £60 credit. Anybody else experience this?

I must say the bills seem hugely over complicated, but then so were BT's.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,209Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: We are filming tomorrow in Torremolinos! If you're in the area, head to Branigans on Av. Palma de Mallorca between 5pm-6.45p?

• RT @mmhpi: ??The money and mental health manifesto - 10 steps to boost #mentalhealth & financial #wellbeing for Britain #GE2017 https://t.c?

• In Spain in a restaurant ready for filming in Torremolinos tomorrow (do come and see us if you're there) watching #mcfcmufc #CTID

• Follow Martin