Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shiggaddi
    • By Shiggaddi 3rd Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 890Posts
    • 305Thanks
    Shiggaddi
    New Sky Deal on MSE - Not available
    • 3rd Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    New Sky Deal on MSE - Not available 3rd Mar 17 at 7:26 PM
    Having recently been allowed to leave BT, I was all set for signing up to EE on Topcashback's daily deals with £150 cashback meaning the deal would set me back about £200 over 18 months after cashback paid. However I then saw the Sky deal.

This deal is much better as the total cost over 12 months would be about £70 after receiving half price line rental and free broadband, plus £50 credit.

When signing up, I did the line check and postcode and was then told that the service was unavailable in my area, but their recommended deal was fibre at £10 a month plus full price line rental.

I find this strange as I have had Sky broadband in the past, and as this was over a year ago, it does state that it's only available to new customers and previous customers who left over a year ago, so being a past customer is not an issue.

Also, I live in Plymouth, and connected to one of the main exchanges, so if Sky are unable to provide broadband, I find this very strange. Also how come they can provide fibre and not the regular broadband?

This leads me to think that the deal advertised on MSE with only 35000 codes available to receive the offer is a ploy from Sky to get people to actually sign up for a more expensive package rather than a bargain deal. This is especially true when I've been a previous customer using exactly the same broadband.

Has anyone else who lives in an area which doesn't have trouble with broadband been rejected for the Sky offer?
Page 2
    • itsj2
    • By itsj2 10th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    itsj2
    Sky have now re-issued the initial email and code to those who may not have received it originally.
    • molly57.
    • By molly57. 10th Mar 17, 6:23 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    molly57.
    I have now spoken to Sky by telephone and found out the reason I as a resident of Plymouth, Devon cannot sign up for this offer. I have always had slow Broadband speed which has never caused myself any problems at all over the many years I have had Broadband.

Sky have brought in a ruling at the beginning of this year that they will not, under any circumstances sell Broadband to anyone with a speed less than 2(I can't remember the name given for the speed reading). Despite myself knowing I have slow speed and being perfectly happy with this other people ultimately blame the Broadband provider and complain. I even offered to sign a disclaimer but they will not bend the rules.

As my current contract with another provider who is not SKY is up on 8th April 2017 then I will be busy this weekend looking for another provider who offers a "good deal".

Has anyone any recommendations?

Does mean that my Sky sign up code will be wasted now.
    • Shiggaddi
    • By Shiggaddi 10th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Shiggaddi
    I have now spoken to Sky by telephone and found out the reason I as a resident of Plymouth, Devon cannot sign up for this offer. I have always had slow Broadband speed which has never caused myself any problems at all over the many years I have had Broadband.

Sky have brought in a ruling at the beginning of this year that they will not, under any circumstances sell Broadband to anyone with a speed less than 2(I can't remember the name given for the speed reading). Despite myself knowing I have slow speed and being perfectly happy with this other people ultimately blame the Broadband provider and complain. I even offered to sign a disclaimer but they will not bend the rules.

As my current contract with another provider who is not SKY is up on 8th April 2017 then I will be busy this weekend looking for another provider who offers a "good deal".

Has anyone any recommendations?

Does mean that my Sky sign up code will be wasted now.
    Originally posted by molly57.

Which area of Plymouth are you in? I'm in Tamerton Foliot which has very slow speeds, and I was told that it's one of the areas of Plymouth that is about as far as you can get from an exchange as the exchange line has to travel so far to get to my street which is at the top of the hill. If slow broadband is something that is commonplace over the rest of Plymouth, then it's a bit more of a serious issue.
    • BreconBlodwin
    • By BreconBlodwin 11th Mar 17, 11:50 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BreconBlodwin
    Got rejected as well, South West Wales, will search again, have a little time.
    • Sjc1973
    • By Sjc1973 11th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Sjc1973
    Has anyone successfully been able to order this?

Every time I try I get an error and get told to call Sky. However Sky tell me as this is an online only offer through MSE there is nothing they can do...

They also said that other people have called citing the same problem and the rep I was talking to said that this deal might not have gone live yet even thought it looks like it.

I'm hoping it isn't just me having this problem!
    Originally posted by BSM911
    Hi BSM911

I managed to get this deal but not having it until the end of the month which was my choice. I know they only had a certain amount of voucher codes and being a acceptionally good deal, they probably were used quickly. I am sure other good deals will come up on mse soon as I have missed out on good deals before but something good does seem to come along afterwards. Although, I am often prepared to go without broadband and use my mobile data until they do, I know that might not be an option for other people.

I INTIALLY was going to go with origin which was a nightmare experience which I shared in previous posts and if I am honest I am sceptical as to the quality of service I will get with Sky in terms of speed etc as this deal does seem to good to be true but I'll just have to wait and see!

Saw another post on here saying they got an offer for FB for £10 per month, not sure if I would have preferred that. Anyway hope something good comes your way soon
    • molly57.
    • By molly57. 11th Mar 17, 2:52 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    molly57.
    Shiggaddi

I'm in Southway. I looked up the telephone exchanges and there is supposed to be one at Crownhill although I don't know where in Crownhill it is or if it is still in operation. I was told by Sky that the nearest exchange was over 3 miles away and this is why the speed is slow. I've had Broadband with other companies including Sky 6/7 years ago and never had a problem before. I don't have a problem with the slow speed as I don't download too much and am not a gamer. Although I am miffed at not being able to take up this deal purely based on the slow speed problem.

Perhaps MSE should have advertised this deal is only for persons with a higher speed Broadband.
    • Shiggaddi
    • By Shiggaddi 11th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Shiggaddi
    Shiggaddi

I'm in Southway. I looked up the telephone exchanges and there is supposed to be one at Crownhill although I don't know where in Crownhill it is or if it is still in operation. I was told by Sky that the nearest exchange was over 3 miles away and this is why the speed is slow. I've had Broadband with other companies including Sky 6/7 years ago and never had a problem before. I don't have a problem with the slow speed as I don't download too much and am not a gamer. Although I am miffed at not being able to take up this deal purely based on the slow speed problem.

Perhaps MSE should have advertised this deal is only for persons with a higher speed Broadband.
    If you're up near the Toby Carvery, then that might be right, however I'd be interested in how good the broadband is in Woolwell if that is served from the same exchange. If you're down near the bottom at the junction with Tamerton Foliot Road, then I would expect much faster. The exchange is next to the Seat dealership at the junction with Budshead Road and Looseleigh Lane. With Tamerton I can understand the long trip up the hill, but with Southway, even near the Park and Ride, I'd expect a bit faster.
    • molly57.
    • By molly57. 12th Mar 17, 6:11 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    molly57.
    Shiggaddi

I'm near the bottom end of Dunnet Road so Tamerton Foliot end. I've just done my own speed check and it is coming up as 3.8mb download speed and 1.7mb upload speed. I think this varies depending on the time of day.
    • molly57.
    • By molly57. 13th Mar 17, 2:54 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    molly57.
    New Sky Deal on MSE - Not available
    I have now spoken to my current Broadband provider. As my current contract is due to expire on 8th April they are happy for me to continue on a month to month basis after that at the same cost as I am paying now. So there is no hurry for me to sign up elsewhere. I'll wait until another suitable deal comes along and hopefully they will be better providers than Sky.

Sky have even had the cheek to send me an email reminding me my code will expire soon.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Mar 17, 5:14 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    hopefully they will be better providers than Sky.
    You're in an over-subscribed area, no matter you twist it, that's not Sky's fault. They've made a sensible decision to not supply a degraded service that would also impact everyone already subscribed as well as you, they should be applauded.
    • Shiggaddi
    • By Shiggaddi 13th Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Shiggaddi
    I have now spoken to my current Broadband provider. As my current contract is due to expire on 8th April they are happy for me to continue on a month to month basis after that at the same cost as I am paying now. So there is no hurry for me to sign up elsewhere. I'll wait until another suitable deal comes along and hopefully they will be better providers than Sky.

Sky have even had the cheek to send me an email reminding me my code will expire soon.
    Yep, got the same e-mail.
    • ms2005
    • By ms2005 15th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    ms2005
    I get an error message saying sorry we do not recognise the offer associated with the code you have entered?
    Just me?
    • kathygrif
    • By kathygrif 16th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kathygrif
    I have tried using the code and get a "Sky broadband is not available in your area" when I enter my details.
    Strange thing is if I click retry it then says broadband is available and takes me to sign up BUT at full price!!!
    If I try to enter my code on that page it just takes me back to the offer page and goes around in circles.

Have sent email to Sky will see if I get any sensible reply!
    • kathygrif
    • By kathygrif 16th Mar 17, 11:54 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kathygrif
    Well I got a quick reply from Sky customer service with a new link to try and enter my code.
    Still the same though Sky website only wants to supply broadband if I pay £18.99 month
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 16th Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    EdwardB
    I am coming to the end of my Sky BB and TV package. I pay £47.99 for unlimited Fibre and Boxsets (HD) whatever they call it now.

I have 1/2 price TV and 1/2 price fibre.

My new premium in June will be £76.99 when my discounts come to an end. That's an increase of £29/m !

They also gave me a £50 credit and a new Skybox last year for free.

Its going to be hard to renegociate that with SKY again I suspect. But I have a few months to try. It took cancelling my SKY account last year before they would give me the deal

Jerry
    Originally posted by jerrysimon
    Geez some people pay a lot, that is eye watering already the new rates are just taking the peez!

A friend of mine was paying £10 a month (I pay £5), they were moving but will be in temp accomodation for a bit, so they wanted to just terminate as contract was ending.

I posted here the deal where we went on chat and just tried to end the contact, they do not have TV and best offer was around £10 a month including line rental. So effectively what they were paying.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5618872

You really have to play hard ball with these retentions people and tell SkyTV you have been made redundant so must cancel as SkyTV is a luxury, they will cut your price by at least 50% for 6 months, sometimes to as low as £10 a month.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • kathygrif
    • By kathygrif 16th Mar 17, 1:41 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kathygrif
    To follow up on my earlier posts.

I supplied my full details to Sky customer service and they came back and said broadband not available in my area only phone line rental! I thought that Sky took over the BT equipment/line wich I already have.

When I did on online chat to a Sky advisor about buying a package they took my details and said they could sign me up to broadband straight away!!!!
    I took screen grabs so have the proof
    Last edited by kathygrif; 17-03-2017 at 8:23 AM.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 16th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Kathy

Did you try clearing all your cookies, perhaps use a different browser?
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • MSE Imogen
    • By MSE Imogen 16th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    MSE Imogen
    Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues with the Sky deal. I can assure you that it's not a scam! (We'd be hearing a lot more noise about it if it was).

Unfortunately there are circumstances where Sky isn't able to provide services to your property or area due to low speeds (Sky has recently stopped supplying households that can't get speeds of least 2Mb) which we've outlined in our guide, along with other T&Cs:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#skybb

We have flagged the email issue up with Sky and it's told us there's been an issue with some of the emails being sent to users containing their codes.

However the good news is Sky has sent us over all of the offer codes that have been issued so far, so if you're still waiting for your code please email voucherhelp@moneysavingexpert.com and I'll get your code over to you.

If you're having problems redeeming your code, i.e. you're seeing an error message when you apply it, you'll need to call Sky to complete your order. Here are the numbers to do so:
    03300 412 593
    0800 046 885

I hope this helps to clear a few things up!
    • kathygrif
    • By kathygrif 16th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kathygrif
    Having gotten nowhere with Sky I contacted MSE on their "If you experience difficulties after emailing Sky, let us know at voucherhelp@moneysavingexpert.com and we'll push Sky to sort it." replied saying there was nothing MSE could do. "Frustratingly we're not able to resolve this for you". The Sky system accepts my postcode but then rejects on phone number, but my connection speed is always above 5Mb. Is this a Sky system error?!
    If the system checked my details and I was given a code it should have worked!!
    Last edited by kathygrif; 17-03-2017 at 8:29 AM.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 16th Mar 17, 5:06 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    EdwardB
    This has a very bad smell about it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,039Posts Today

10,211Users online

Martin's Twitter