Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 3rd Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,727Posts
    • 3,081Thanks
    swingaloo
    Taking bulk buying to an extreme! Strange behaviour.
    • 3rd Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    Taking bulk buying to an extreme! Strange behaviour. 3rd Mar 17 at 7:57 PM
    As a young wife many years ago I was continually running out of things, I was so unorganised. I was forever running next door to borrow some coffee if we got visitors, dashing across to the shop as we had no milk etc.

As years have gone on and Im now into my second marriage Ive now got to the other extreme. A couple of years ago I was trying ways to save on my weekly shopping bill and for some reason I decided to bulk buy for a three month period anything which was not fresh and reasoned my only weekly expense then would be fresh meat, veg and milk. Of course my plan was flawed but it did start me on a path to being paranoid about running out of anything.

So now Im sure that what Im doing is not normal! I have to have everything in 5s or 10s depending on the item. My cupboards are looking a bit like a small supermarket.

I HAVE to have 10 jars of coffee in the cupboard, 5 large boxes of tea bags, 5 tubs of Clover in the fridge etc.
    Anything I use, salt, pepper, sauce, oxo, gravy mix. The same applies to washing-up liquid (10), fabric conditioner (5), toothpaste (10), soap, even kitchen foil, nothing is allowed to run out.

If I open a jar of coffee I cant rest till Ive replaced it. Im sure its getting to be a bit of an obsession.
    Please, someone tell me its not just me does this.
Page 5
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 13th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    I am so wary of this, the fear of attracting rodents has made sure I've never done this for food, nor paper goods that might be good for nesting. Although they are quite welcome to nibble on laundry tablets and drink from my bottles of bleach if so inclined
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    My OH is a bit obsessive with sheds and the like, and as we wanted somewhere to also store the chicken feed he ensured the shed was rodent proof.

It isn't one from a standard diy store or similar, not those lap types, its a solid wood structure with no gaps and OH put it on a raised standing with extra thick wood panels along the bottom to stop rodents.

Plus we have 2 cats who are in and out during the summer lol. OH always inspects and checks his shed as well as resealing/staining each year as and when required. So far no problems.

TBH it's more like an outhouse than a shed and is quite big-OH sometimes takes a table and chair out and works in there lol. It wasn't cheap tho, but hand made by a local family firm-OH and carpenter neighbour assembled. Was 4 figures rather than a few hundred tbh but it's so solid I reckon it will last decades.

Ali x
    Last edited by ALIBOBSY; 13-03-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 13th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 7,946 Thanks
    Living proof
    I have discovered I have a bit of a 'string thing'. I bought a pack of three at a car boot on Saturday and when I went into the shed (first time for ages) to put them away, I discovered six assorted untouched balls of string and twine. Then today I found another in the garage...As I always keep used string for future use I think I now have enough for the afterlife! This is not so much a bulk buy, rather a regular one, I think!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,949Posts Today

8,602Users online

Martin's Twitter