Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 3rd Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,744Posts
    • 3,086Thanks
    swingaloo
    Taking bulk buying to an extreme! Strange behaviour.
    • 3rd Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    Taking bulk buying to an extreme! Strange behaviour. 3rd Mar 17 at 7:57 PM
    As a young wife many years ago I was continually running out of things, I was so unorganised. I was forever running next door to borrow some coffee if we got visitors, dashing across to the shop as we had no milk etc.

As years have gone on and Im now into my second marriage Ive now got to the other extreme. A couple of years ago I was trying ways to save on my weekly shopping bill and for some reason I decided to bulk buy for a three month period anything which was not fresh and reasoned my only weekly expense then would be fresh meat, veg and milk. Of course my plan was flawed but it did start me on a path to being paranoid about running out of anything.

So now Im sure that what Im doing is not normal! I have to have everything in 5s or 10s depending on the item. My cupboards are looking a bit like a small supermarket.

I HAVE to have 10 jars of coffee in the cupboard, 5 large boxes of tea bags, 5 tubs of Clover in the fridge etc.
    Anything I use, salt, pepper, sauce, oxo, gravy mix. The same applies to washing-up liquid (10), fabric conditioner (5), toothpaste (10), soap, even kitchen foil, nothing is allowed to run out.

If I open a jar of coffee I cant rest till Ive replaced it. Im sure its getting to be a bit of an obsession.
    Please, someone tell me its not just me does this.
Page 4
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 11,427 Posts
    • 219,611 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    How often do you wear a jar of coffee?

Or wash a can of soup?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Sssshhhhhh!!!!! I have some very strange habits. The price of coffee is one thing which never troubles my little head as I loathe it in all its forms, from the most rarified righteous beans to the instant granules.

But I agree with others about the regular sales cycles for many items meaning that, with a bit of cunning and judicious stocking up, one should never need to pay full price for certain things.

I have to be careful shopping at the local tosspots metro as they know me well there and tease me if I have to buy something without a yellow sticker on it. Strange but true, me and the cashiers regularly swop greatest YS bargain anecdotes. It's the urban version of fishermen's bragging rights.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Living proof
    • By Living proof 9th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 8,054 Thanks
    Living proof
    I buy some items in bulk to make sure I get a reasonable price - like Oral B toothpaste and Corsodyl Daily - which someone always has on offer. Why pay an extra 80% if you don't have to? My real failing though is toiletries in general, especially lovely soaps and shower gels. I tend to buy them at car boots for just pence but stick to the premium brands I couldn't (and wouldn't) afford otherwise. Foodwise everything is totally stocked up to the gunnels although I don't really buy in bulk, just buy more than I use. Toilet rolls - always have three spare in the shower room and two in the cloakroom and then more stored in the garage.

I have a funny anecdote about this whole ' save it for a rainy day' scenario. In WW2 my dad was a tank commander in North Africa and one of the crew carefully stowed all his 'bully beef' and dry biscuits for such a day. Everybody else of course consumed theirs ASAP. The day came when the worst happened - their tank was hit and whilst they all escaped generally unscathed, the tank exploded and all the tins the guy had put away week by week rained down on them, twisted and mangled. The chap nearly cried, never mind the fact that he had survived a very dangerous situation, but the joke was repeated for years at regimental reunions.

I think we have to be careful that we don't become hoarders as seen on TV!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 9th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 4,970 Posts
    • 11,799 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    [I]
    I have to be careful shopping at the local tosspots metro .
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Hilarious..... Thanks for making me laugh.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £122.54/Nov £271.08/Dec £67.49
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1628.14 miles
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Mar 17, 7:03 PM
    • 11,427 Posts
    • 219,611 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Hilarious..... Thanks for making me laugh.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    It's sad but true, I am marked on my performance as a bargainista by a select group of cashiers who've been there for more than the decade I've shopped there several times a week.

Impressed the heck out of one of them a few weeks back with the 17p bouquet of flowers......... carnations, too, lasted weeks.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Techno
    • By Techno 10th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    Techno
    Bought 6 pairs of large marigold gloves in morrisons today. Reduced to 80p instead of £2.20. Beloved always complains that the medium ones are too small so he can't do the washing up so these are all for him (6 pairs my take a while to work through but hey for 80p)
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Mar 17, 7:18 AM
    • 11,427 Posts
    • 219,611 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Bought 6 pairs of large marigold gloves in morrisons today. Reduced to 80p instead of £2.20. Beloved always complains that the medium ones are too small so he can't do the washing up so these are all for him (6 pairs my take a while to work through but hey for 80p)
    Originally posted by Techno
    He might suddenly develop an allergy to rubber gloves which would prevent them being used.

If this should happen, reassure him that there are flock-lined glove options for you to buy in the future........
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 11th Mar 17, 8:28 AM
    • 7,591 Posts
    • 8,463 Thanks
    pelirocco
    Wow! That is a big luxury.

I usually buy DE instant when it's £4 for a 190g jar, so stock up then. It lasts me 3 months, £12 pa vs goodness knows what you must be spending!

(Feels like a v smug moneysaver ).
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Why stop there , you could just drink tap tap water , or better still puddles ,and be queen smug of smug land
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • maryb
    • By maryb 11th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 41,053 Thanks
    maryb
    Was that meant to be funny?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 127,455 Thanks
    JackieO
    I am using up as much as I can at the moment and last Saturday discovered 28 packets of dried rice ,pasta casserole mixes and cous cous in the cupboards managed to use up two this week but its an ongoing job,probably ongoing until mid -summer
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 11th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,721 Thanks
    Primrose
    :Years ago we acquired a number of those large glass jars used in sweet shops which we use for storing various types of pasta, rice , pulses. They're great for ensuring you have plenty of stock securely stored and can easily see what you!ve got. But my dear OH seems to consider it his life's mission to keep them all fully stocked up. This means that new product is piled in on top of older stock and I have absolutely no idea how old some of the older product is at the bottom of the jars. We never seem to reach those levels and they probably date back to the Egyptian Pyramid era !

I sometimes feel overwhelmed trying to decide between spaghetti, pasta spirals, pasta shapes, macaroni, etc and wonder why we need to have all this stuff as it all tastes the same. I have a floor-to-ceiling dry goods store cupboard and it's crammed full. I think we need to be locked into our house for a month and not allowed out to visit the food shops for anything. It would be interesting to see how long we could exist for. Besides, I want to run my stocks completely down so I can discover all the odd things that are lurking at the back of the shelves. Getting it all out to do an inventory would take a whole day! I think we need to hold a Pasta Party !

We could also do with having a drinks party to get rid of all the weird and wonderful virtually untouched duty-free liqueur bottles lurking in a drinks cabinet!
    Last edited by Primrose; 11-03-2017 at 4:20 PM.
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 11th Mar 17, 5:21 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 3,049 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I'm in the same boat with the drinks Primrose. We seem to have accumulated lots of bottles of all sorts of things from parties and given to us as gifts. We're trying to use them up now. I have found that fruity liqueurs are nice added to a glass of cava or other sparkling wine for a Bellini style cocktail. Not quite so sure what to do with the ginger liqueur though...
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 11th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,721 Thanks
    Primrose
    I'm in the same boat with the drinks Primrose. . I have found that fruity liqueurs are nice added to a glass of cava or other sparkling Not quite so sure what to do with the ginger liqueur though...
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    I often put sliced bottled stem ginger in with rhubarb when I cook it. I wonder if the ginger liqueur would have a similar enhancing effect, especially with the new season's rhubarb now sprouting nicely.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    • 18,552 Posts
    • 47,770 Thanks
    Pollycat
    :Years ago we acquired a number of those large glass jars used in sweet shops which we use for storing various types of pasta, rice , pulses. They're great for ensuring you have plenty of stock securely stored and can easily see what you!ve got. But my dear OH seems to consider it his life's mission to keep them all fully stocked up. This means that new product is piled in on top of older stock and I have absolutely no idea how old some of the older product is at the bottom of the jars. We never seem to reach those levels and they probably date back to the Egyptian Pyramid era !
    Originally posted by Primrose
    I wouldn't be happy at all if my OH did this.
    I don't even like tipping the last few bits (less than a spoonful) out of one coffee jar into a new one.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 11,427 Posts
    • 219,611 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Yeah, I like to wash up containers, dry and then allow a bit of time to air dry, before re-filling with dried goods.

Tell the hubs about the weevils etc which can infest flour-based products like pasta and that it's important to finish the old stuff completely, cleanse and re-stock with the new.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 18,552 Posts
    • 47,770 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Yeah, I like to wash up containers, dry and then allow a bit of time to air dry, before re-filling with dried goods.

Tell the hubs about the weevils etc which can infest flour-based products like pasta and that it's important to finish the old stuff completely, cleanse and re-stock with the new.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I do this too.
    The 10 or so pasta twists in the bottom of a glass container do irritate me until I come round to using them up but I'd never top up old with new.

I used to avoid those shops that had huge bins of stuff - cornflakes, flour etc - for that reason.

I sometimes feel overwhelmed trying to decide between spaghetti, pasta spirals, pasta shapes, macaroni, etc and wonder why we need to have all this stuff as it all tastes the same.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Of curse they do taste the same before you add the sauce but I thinks twists are better with some sauces and penne works better with others.
    Or maybe I've just been listening to Gino D'acampo too much.
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 12th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 16,453 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    I actually don't see a problem stocking up or buying in bulk providing you have the space to store and it doesn't stress you out.

I have a store in the shed-we have a big shed with cabinets and shelving so have space for me to have tins etc.

There are 6 of us so certain items we go through alot of and I like to have stock in for cooking etc.

I bulk buy mainly for 2 reasons, firstly we are both self employed so when income fluctuates it's nice to be able to still eat whilst using income purely for bills on a quiet month. Secondly it's money saving to be able to stock up on a bargain price, but only buy stuff you will use and can keep long enough to use up (or freeze if required-but again have to watch filling up the freezers too much with bulky items). TBH the interest in banks is so low that a good bargain will "make" more than saving the cash.

More than once my stores have saved us when one child or another suddenly announces "oops forgot got home ec tommorrow".

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to £10 a day-November £610.22/£750

Make up to £10 a day-December £73.84/£620
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 12th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 10,029 Posts
    • 107,726 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Not quite so sure what to do with the ginger liqueur though...
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    I'd have thought you could use a little in any recipe that requires ginger - Primrose has already mentioned adding to rhubarb - the other thing that comes to mind is sweet'n'sour sauce; the recipe I use calls for ginger, and I use a dribble of ginger cordial for this.
    You could probably also add a little to a glass of whisky for a pretty potable Whisky Mac.
    I wouldn't be happy at all if my OH did this.
    I don't even like tipping the last few bits (less than a spoonful) out of one coffee jar into a new one.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I tip the last little bit of things into a small tuppaware type box (I have some really tiny ones as well as the larger varieties) so that I can clean the container ready for the new supply.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 12th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 3,049 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Thanks for all the ginger liqueur suggestions! I'm now also thinking that it'd be nice sloshed over some strawberries and raspberries in the summer. Yum!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 24,187 Posts
    • 50,854 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I have a store in the shed-we have a big shed with cabinets and shelving so have space for me to have tins etc.
    Originally posted by ALIBOBSY
    I am so wary of this, the fear of attracting rodents has made sure I've never done this for food, nor paper goods that might be good for nesting. Although they are quite welcome to nibble on laundry tablets and drink from my bottles of bleach if so inclined
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 18,552 Posts
    • 47,770 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I actually don't see a problem stocking up or buying in bulk providing you have the space to store and it doesn't stress you out.
    Originally posted by ALIBOBSY
    I don't see a problem​ either.
    But - and I'm sure I've said this up-thread already - it would be the insistence/obsession with multiples ​of 5 or 10 that would be of concern.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

365Posts Today

1,596Users online

Martin's Twitter