Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tuesday
    • By Tuesday 3rd Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 34Thanks
    Tuesday
    0 WOW
    Low deposit holiday myth?
    • 3rd Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    0 WOW
    Low deposit holiday myth? 3rd Mar 17 at 2:27 PM
    My student daughter and her boyfriend booked a holiday paying a low deposit. She was given the date by which the holiday needed to be paid in full. They've now split up and neither wants the holiday. When she tried to cancel, she was told that they had paid a low deposit and if they want to cancel they will have to pay another £300. The invoice from the company only mentions the full balance being due.
    How can the company get away with this? If they are offering low deposit holidays, then the deposit should be low. There has never been any mention of any requirement to pay an additional deposit until now. Anyone know of the legal position?
Page 2
    • Tuesday
    • By Tuesday 5th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Tuesday
    She booked online with First Choice. Nowhere does it mention that this is a low deposit. I have a copy of the confirmation invoice with all the terms and conditions and it just says they paid £100 and the balance is due by 16th March. It is dishonest of a company to then say the deposit is £400. I don't believe it is legal to do so.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Mar 17, 9:13 AM
    • 18,559 Posts
    • 47,774 Thanks
    Pollycat
    She booked online with First Choice. Nowhere does it mention that this is a low deposit. I have a copy of the confirmation invoice with all the terms and conditions and it just says they paid £100 and the balance is due by 16th March. It is dishonest of a company to then say the deposit is £400. I don't believe it is legal to do so.
    Originally posted by Tuesday
    What was First Choice's response when you told them this?
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 5th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    My experience with online booking is that when you receive a confirmation there is an attachment that links to the FULL Ts & Cs often many pages long. Are you sure there wasn't an attachment to the confirmation?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 5th Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    • 10,864 Posts
    • 7,093 Thanks
    Caz3121
    She booked online with First Choice. Nowhere does it mention that this is a low deposit.
    I have just done a dummy booking on the First Choice website for a holiday that has a £75 low deposit
    When you get to the payment stage there are 3 options
    "How much do you want to pay"
    1) Pay £150 deposit (with 2 further dates, 1 for the remainder of the deposit and 1 for the holiday less deposit) - there is a link with "important information for this deposit"
    2) £400...full deposit for 2 people with a date for the remainder of the holiday
    3) full amount

Did she book it online or did her ex-partner?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 5th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    When you book it gives the option of paying a low deposit, the full deposit or the full amount so it would be obvious it was a low deposit. The information about low deposits is clearly shown on their website and forms part of the terms and conditions they agreed to. The confirmation would usually have a link to them as well. If your daughter didn't read either then that isn't the tour ops fault.

It just so happens that on this occasion the balance of the low deposit is due at the same time as the balance on the holiday, hence it only showing the balance is due by 16th March, but the information about paying the remainder of the deposit isn't hidden anywhere.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 5th Mar 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Depends when the holiday was booked a while back the full deposit for Airtours was £50pp it wasn't a low deposit. The £25pp is if you pay by direct debit and yes the full deposit does need paying if you cancel.
    Originally posted by stephb34
    Thanks. I wasn't aware the any tour ops were still doing giveaway deposits. TC short of bookings lol.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • 18,559 Posts
    • 47,774 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I have just done a dummy booking on the First Choice website for a holiday that has a £75 low deposit
    When you get to the payment stage there are 3 options
    "How much do you want to pay"
    1) Pay £150 deposit (with 2 further dates, 1 for the remainder of the deposit and 1 for the holiday less deposit) - there is a link with "important information for this deposit"
    2) £400...full deposit for 2 people with a date for the remainder of the holiday
    3) full amount

Did she book it online or did her ex-partner?
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    I think this will turn out to be a case of the information about the remainder of the deposit was there but whoever booked the holiday didn't read it.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 5th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 18,349 Posts
    • 7,590 Thanks
    richardw
    I dislike the use of 'low deposit', because it describes something that it isn't, it's just a part payment of the deposit.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 5th Mar 17, 10:59 AM
    • 8,982 Posts
    • 13,046 Thanks
    meer53
    Can't see any major tour operator not providing t & c's regarding low deposits. I've booked loads of holidays with low deposits and it's always been the case that full amount is due if you cancel.
    • photome
    • By photome 5th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 12,820 Posts
    • 8,298 Thanks
    photome
    OP you are fighting a losing battle.

this is your daughters fault not the tour ops and if the rest of the deposit isn't paid soon it may well be that even more is due as the balance is due soon
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 5th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    stephb34
    Thanks. I wasn't aware the any tour ops were still doing giveaway deposits. TC short of bookings lol.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict

They must be lol, but I don't think its on anymore.
    Although Monarch are £59, Jet2 £60, I think Olympic are about £59 and these are full deposits. It must cause lots of cancellations because its not a large enough amount to think seriously when booking as to whether you can actually afford to go on holiday or not.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 5th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    I dislike the use of 'low deposit', because it describes something that it isn't, it's just a part payment of the deposit.
    Originally posted by richardw
    It could be argued it's a cash flow advantage to the purchaser, though more accurately a lure for those that are struggling to afford the total cost.
    • Duckyduck
    • By Duckyduck 5th Mar 17, 1:39 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Duckyduck
    It could be argued it's a cash flow advantage to the purchaser, though more accurately a lure for those that are struggling to afford the total cost.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    It's the description that is the issue. I agree that the partial deposit option has benefits to the purchaser but describing it as "low deposit" is misleading, and frankly false.

Personally I've never booked a package holiday and until this thread I always thought a low deposit was a deposit that is low in value. That's what those words mean. I imagine many others must think the same and fall victim just like the OPs daughter unfortunately.
    Save £12k in 2017 #10
    • christaitfife
    • By christaitfife 5th Mar 17, 10:12 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    christaitfife
    Ive just tried a dummy booking with First Choice too. This isn't in small print, it is on the screen when you make your choice about paying the deposit. They even give you the option to pay the full deposit. I know it isn't what you wan't to hear but it needs to be paid. This is one of those very expensive learning exercises. Atleast if she had the money to pay for a £1000+ holiday, she will be able to pay this deposit.
    • Duckyduck
    • By Duckyduck 6th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Duckyduck
    Ive just tried a dummy booking with First Choice too. This isn't in small print, it is on the screen when you make your choice about paying the deposit. They even give you the option to pay the full deposit. I know it isn't what you wan't to hear but it needs to be paid. This is one of those very expensive learning exercises. Atleast if she had the money to pay for a £1000+ holiday, she will be able to pay this deposit.
    Originally posted by christaitfife
    I've just done a dummy booking (for 2 people, total trip being £1651) and it isn't explicitly stated. On the payment page there's 3 option:
    pay a £250 deposit, with a further £250 payment and then the remaining balance
    £500 deposit and then a further payment of the remaining balance
    or the full balance

Under the £250 deposit option there is a link to "important information about low deposit" but even if you do bother to click on that it's says the remainder of the deposit is due 8 weeks before departure, it doesn't state you're still obliged to pay this in the event of cancellation.

I'm all for buyer beware and taking responsibility for your own decisions, but I really don't get why so many people here are saying the OP should have known better. It is ambiguous and must be a good little earner for the travel agents.
    Save £12k in 2017 #10
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 6th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I've just done a dummy booking (for 2 people, total trip being £1651) and it isn't explicitly stated. On the payment page there's 3 option:
    pay a £250 deposit, with a further £250 payment and then the remaining balance
    £500 deposit and then a further payment of the remaining balance
    or the full balance

Under the £250 deposit option there is a link to "important information about low deposit" but even if you do bother to click on that it's says the remainder of the deposit is due 8 weeks before departure, it doesn't state you're still obliged to pay this in the event of cancellation.

I'm all for buyer beware and taking responsibility for your own decisions, but I really don't get why so many people here are saying the OP should have known better. It is ambiguous and must be a good little earner for the travel agents.
    Originally posted by Duckyduck
    It's not the travel agents that were offering it. It was First Choice. The low deposit conditions in the A-Z form part of the bookings terms and conditions. If people choose not to read them before they accept them then it isn't the fault of the company. It's their own fault.

"Low Deposit Offer
    This offer is per passenger. We can change or withdraw this offer at any time. The rest of your deposit will be due within eight weeks of you booking your holiday. If you cancel your holiday you still have to pay the full deposit."
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 1st Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Even though the law states that TC should only take expected costs that they may incur from the deposit if you cancel they disregard the legislation.
    Please copy and paste the below to see may story.
    justgiving.com/crowdfunding/thomas-cook-unfairly-ripped-off-the-curran-family
    Originally posted by Currand839
    You want people to give you £3,000 to take your kids on holiday? Pay for it yourself, cheeky ...
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 1st Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    You want people to give you £3,000 to take your kids on holiday? Pay for it yourself, cheeky ...
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Bumped a thread from months ago to post the link to the begging page, too.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 1st Dec 17, 3:22 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Even though the law states that TC should only take expected costs that they may incur from the deposit if you cancel they disregard the legislation.
    Please copy and paste the below to see may story.
    justgiving.com/crowdfunding/thomas-cook-unfairly-ripped-off-the-curran-family
    Originally posted by Currand839
    So you had some financial problems and breached your contract with the tour operator, and now you expect strangers to fund your holiday! Have some self respect! Unbelievable.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 1st Dec 17, 4:13 PM
    • 18,559 Posts
    • 47,774 Thanks
    Pollycat
    That crowd-funding beggars belief.
    No wonder there's £0 money raised.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,027Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter