Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 3rd Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share my flight delay compensation?
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share my flight delay compensation? 3rd Mar 17 at 12:23 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I paid for myself, my boyfriend and two friends to go on holiday, costing me over £3,000. We suffered a 4-hour flight delay for which I've received £1,300+ in compensation. They assumed I'd share it with them, should I?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Experienced a flight delay? You could be owed up to £520 in compensation - see if you can claim for free using our Flight Delay guide.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Megan F; 03-03-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Page 4
    • gaving7095
    • By gaving7095 10th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    gaving7095
    You clearly said you paid - so I would keep it if I were you.
    Your friends were lucky to be given free flights in the first place, there's no reason why they should get more stuff for free now in my opinion :-)
    • strange
    • By strange 10th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    strange
    I had to read this to see if it was genuinely a real situation!

Reading some of the more focused responses that appear not to understand concepts such as 'feelings', it's clear that the law demands that the money be split, so it should be. To do otherwise may come back to bite you in the future.

However, assuming that you haven't left out any more critical information, I'm afraid that anyone who doesn't give you the money straight back is not actually a friend, they are a leech. In the long run, it's probably worth having found this out. I would advise spending significantly less time with them.

str
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 10th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 956 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    Justice13075
    This is not a moral dilemma You are breaking the LAW. If you don't pay the compensation to the passengers you could well find yourself in court. As I have said before this compensation is for the passengers who have been delayed not for the person who bought the tickets. The tickets were used for a later flight.

MSE PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD DOWN.
    • takman
    • By takman 10th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    takman
    This is not a moral dilemma You are breaking the LAW. If you don't pay the compensation to the passengers you could well find yourself in court. As I have said before this compensation is for the passengers who have been delayed not for the person who bought the tickets. The tickets were used for a later flight.

MSE PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD DOWN.
    Originally posted by Justice13075
    What a stupid reason to close a thread.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 12th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 956 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    Justice13075
    this question has been hammered to death. Now boring.
    • takman
    • By takman 12th Mar 17, 5:50 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    takman
    this question has been hammered to death. Now boring.
    Originally posted by Justice13075
    Well stop reading it then! you can't just decide a thread should be closed just because your bored of it , who do you think you are?
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 12th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 956 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    Justice13075
    What the hell is left to say on this matter opinions have been given advice has been given maybe you should send a PM asking for their birthday so you can send them a card. Get a life move on to giving advice to someone who needs it.
    Last edited by Justice13075; 12-03-2017 at 10:57 PM.
    • Marcus-H
    • By Marcus-H 13th Apr 17, 8:51 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Marcus-H
    Compensation is for the suffering caused by the delay.
    If I was the friends, I would be glad for the free holiday & not ask or expect it.
    If I was the ones who paid out for the holiday, then I would blow it with the friends on nights out or a cheap 2nd holiday. Afterall, If I can afford to pay for friends to go on holiday with me, I can probably afford to just blow the compo!
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 13th Apr 17, 9:13 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    maisie cat
    The compensation is technically for the "pain & suffering" of the delay but for most people it's not much more than an inconvenience.
    If you paid for the holiday because your friends are skint, the windfall of the payment could be used to pay you back as a good friend would.
    I would suggest telling the "friends" to decide what is more important, your friendship or the money. They could take you to court to get it back, that would make a good story for the mail. At the end of the day £325 a friend is a cheaper way to establish who a good friend is than alternatives.
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 20th May 17, 8:50 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    What a cheek! Why would you share YOUR compensation with these hangers-on?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

1,292Users online

Martin's Twitter