Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,320Posts
    • 6,558Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank £3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that £3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 33
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 8th Feb 18, 9:44 AM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Morning

Have a lovely day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 6,558 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Im thinking of making a banana bread today but I only have two bananas and the recipe says three so Im not sure if it will be bananery enough,they need using though and I dont want to waste them
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    I think banana bread is very forgiving, especially as bananas get browner because they get sweeter and easier to mush. You could try it and if the mixture seems stiff, add a drop more liquid instead of buying another banana. Alternatively reduce the other quantites by a third, or freeze the bananas for when you next have a spare (and bananas being bananas, that will be 2 weeks' time).
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 8th Feb 18, 10:10 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I think banana bread is very forgiving, especially as bananas get browner because they get sweeter and easier to mush. You could try it and if the mixture seems stiff, add a drop more liquid instead of buying another banana. Alternatively reduce the other quantites by a third, or freeze the bananas for when you next have a spare (and bananas being bananas, that will be 2 weeks' time).
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    I’m thinking of just going for it and seeing how it turns out,I sure it will taste lovely with a bit of butter spread on it
    Just keep swimming
    Payment a day challenge = £58.76
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Feb 18, 10:37 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,131 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    All the fresh cooking sound lovely. I even bought krispie bites the other day and i'm not sure why as i have everything in to make them and would be cheaper too. I would love to have ago at home made soup, i don't always fancy tinned anymore.

Have a lovely day.
    LBM in April 17 - £5835/£33554 (17.3%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET £211/5000
    DFD: 1st May 2022
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 6,558 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'm not a fan of tinned soup either... homemade is really easy, it's more a matter of finding the right recipes for your taste or throwing together a mixture that works. Certainly worth a try if you have leftover veggies: saute them in butter not oil (or a mixture) for a really good flavour.

From experience, clear some freezer space first!
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 8th Feb 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I don't think I ever follow a recipe. Especially not for soup I just chop whatever looks sad in the veg drawer along with 1 veg and 1 chicken stock pot/cube. Top up with water and boil till soft. Blend and add salt and pepper. No 2 ever taste the same

Apple sauce should work in the banana bread if it looks like it needs something else OBL.

I'm really bad at just making it up
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Feb 18, 11:37 AM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 6,558 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I don't think I ever follow a recipe. Especially not for soup I just chop whatever looks sad in the veg drawer along with 1 veg and 1 chicken stock pot/cube. Top up with water and boil till soft. Blend and add salt and pepper. No 2 ever taste the same

Apple sauce should work in the banana bread if it looks like it needs something else OBL.

Originally posted by WannabeFree
    You sound like a very inventive cook, Wannabe!
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,131 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    I'm not a fan of tinned soup either... homemade is really easy, it's more a matter of finding the right recipes for your taste or throwing together a mixture that works. Certainly worth a try if you have leftover veggies: saute them in butter not oil (or a mixture) for a really good flavour.

From experience, clear some freezer space first!
    Definitely going to give it a go. That reminds me, i need to write a freezer list to empty it before it moves.
    SPC #591
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Feb 18, 12:01 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,808 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I do find your experiments inspiring Cherry. Apologies if I just confused you on OS, I forgot which computer I was on

My DS loves the cinnamon whirls but so expensive to buy. He quite likes butter/cinnamon mix on rolled up puff pastry to make them instead.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 6,558 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Definitely going to give it a go. That reminds me, i need to write a freezer list to empty it before it moves.
    Originally posted by charlies tribe
    Are you following XSpender's thread about using up food? That's a double freezer list - very impressive!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Feb 18, 12:25 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 6,558 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I do find your experiments inspiring Cherry. Apologies if I just confused you on OS, I forgot which computer I was on

My DS loves the cinnamon whirls but so expensive to buy. He quite likes butter/cinnamon mix on rolled up puff pastry to make them instead.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    I haven't spotted which is you yet! And I'm always confused

Puff pastry probably looks prettier than the 'whirls' - or make cinnamon butter on toast.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,808 Thanks
    redofromstart
    24 tins of beans, and a coconut macaroon recipe.

HTH
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 6,558 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    That macaroon mix tastes yummy!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Feb 18, 1:18 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,808 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I like the raw mix too, and they don't stick to the baking paper like the ones with milk in do. It was off the back of a coconut packet from the co-op years ago. Funny how some of the best recipes come out of things like that.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 6,558 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I like the raw mix too, and they don't stick to the baking paper like the ones with milk in do. It was off the back of a coconut packet from the co-op years ago. Funny how some of the best recipes come out of things like that.
    Yep, my spiced bread pudding recipe came from inside an egg box while I was student.

The macaroons taste as good as the raw mix!
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,131 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Are you following XSpender's thread about using up food? That's a double freezer list - very impressive!
    I haven't read it yet. DH is back at work tomorrow night so i will give it a read. I've missed reading diaries properly while he has been off.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,131 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    I'm laid on the bed as I haven't even got the energy to walk downstairs. I've just read through xspenders thread over on OS. That's exactly what I need to do but won't be anywhere near as exciting with nuggets and waffles.
    Thank you for the recommendation.
    SPC #591
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 8th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    Onebrokelady

Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Doh I didn think of apple,I have one here too,I didnt end up making it though but will do it tomorrow instead
    Im loving that people have shortend my name to OBL,I sound like a star wars character
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 08-02-2018 at 5:38 PM.
    Just keep swimming
    Payment a day challenge = £58.76
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Feb 18, 6:47 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,808 Thanks
    redofromstart
    That's exactly what I need to do but won't be anywhere near as exciting with nuggets and waffles.
    Originally posted by charlies tribe
    I have those to use up too, my boys see them as major treat which amuses me. I have a bad habit of chucking a bag of each in every month when I go to the big supermarket so these things stack up. They love the value mixed veg too - but the trick with that is to keep the empty butter tub, drain the veg and then shake it in the tub to get a thin coating on everything.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Feb 18, 10:11 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,131 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    I have those to use up too, my boys see them as major treat which amuses me. I have a bad habit of chucking a bag of each in every month when I go to the big supermarket so these things stack up. They love the value mixed veg too - but the trick with that is to keep the empty butter tub, drain the veg and then shake it in the tub to get a thin coating on everything.
    DD2 lives on them. I know thats really bad but she has a lot of food problems and it seems to be the only potato product she will eat along with extremely crispy fries. All the others do have a healthyish diet. She just doesn't eat anything else.

We only buy the bags of value veg, use a bag at each meal (7 of us). I would rather pie on the veg than mash/meat.
    SPC #591
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

1,480Users online

Martin's Twitter