Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,304Posts
    • 6,510Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank £3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that £3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 32
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 3rd Feb 18, 7:12 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 6,765 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I noticed that, think it is punctuation marks

can't
    shan't
    will not

ETA ha ha, not doing it now. Was earlier...
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 3rd Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 8,827 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope all is well Cherry x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Feb 18, 11:52 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Been a nice day off today - I had my Christmas present! It was tickets to the ballet, a very watchable/listenable Nutcracker. Although it was a matinee (lots of little girls in party dresses!) the children were a perfect audience. We got talking to the mum of the tiny tot next to us who was there for her birthday - I'd say about 4 or 5, but she was very good and quiet and sparkly eyed right through.

We also had a meal out which was supposed to be on a voucher we had been given but the till couldn't read the voucher so we ended up paying - though we still have the voucher and the restaurant explained how we could follow it up to see what the problem was. Really nice meal, too, though I have made a bit of a dent in my diet. That's tiramisu for you. (Velvet if you're reading - how is yours going?)

Supermarket on the way home and a lazy evening followed by a candle lit bath as the bulb has gone and it's a fancy one that we can't get late at night in the remaining open shops. I do a good line in romance

DH paid for the travel, tickets and meal and I had most of last week's housekeeping left so I paid for the food shop.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £16.38
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Nothing to report today... early shift tomorrow so I had better vamoose and get my work lunch ready. Have a good week everyone.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 5th Feb 18, 4:44 AM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 12,515 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Oh I love the Nutcracker, such a lovely ballet. Hope you have a good Monday!
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 4th Jan 2018: £35,536.09/July 2026

Mortgage = £193,995
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Another NSD. The progress through the freezer is making actual space, too! DH had yesterday's leftovers and I had an interesting mixture of all sorts from the freezer which was very tasty. It's a four-drawer freezer and it occurred to me that we all use it quite differently so perhaps we should have a drawer each and one for general stuff. Mine will undoubtedly have veg and soups, DH's will have fish fingers and fishcakes and DS2's will be mince. The general one will be ice cream for guests.

Spends:
    None
    MS stuff:
    Ate from the stores apart from DS's pizza.
    Went back to bed after work rather than putting the heating on
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 5th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,268 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    My freezer drawers are nearly empty again - that's quite a good idea having a drawer each! only DD and I could probably share one - DS would need the rest of the freezer - and it would be full of pizza and ice cream! and Meat, Meat and more meat.

Have a good week
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 6,765 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Would the 'freezer surprise' live in the general drawer so you could all pretend it wasn't yours?
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Would the 'freezer surprise' live in the general drawer so you could all pretend it wasn't yours?
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Ha ha yes probably!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Feb 18, 10:22 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    My freezer drawers are nearly empty again - that's quite a good idea having a drawer each! only DD and I could probably share one - DS would need the rest of the freezer - and it would be full of pizza and ice cream! and Meat, Meat and more meat.

Have a good week
    NOA
    x
    Originally posted by NoOneAround
    Again?! I thought I had invented a new thing: the freezer with freed-up space! Now I have a new concept to get my head round.

Pizza, ice cream and meat - are you sure that's not my DS you'vev got there?
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 6th Feb 18, 5:15 AM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 12,515 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    I am trying to use up the contents of our freezer. It is going incredibly slowly! There always seems to be as much in leftovers to put back in it as there is used up each week. Ours is a (small) chest freezer, so who knows what's lurking at the bottom!!
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 4th Jan 2018: £35,536.09/July 2026

Mortgage = £193,995
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 6th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,268 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    I had a head start Cherry -2nd fridge freezer was new before Christmas, so i'd filled for Christmas, used everything up, filled again, and we've got through everything again
    Am determined not to leave things in there too long,as I'm not good at labelling
    Sometimes we are all eating different things but its worked and my supermarket shop has been 80/week max for the last month
    have a good day
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 6th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 8,827 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely day Cherry

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Feb 18, 11:57 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A little less freezer space and a bit more spending today. I had a watermelon going overripe and not enough space in the fridge for it so I made it into cubes and blended them with some sweetener in the hope of making a passable sorbet. Never tried this before so we'll see. That's a whole ice cream box in DS's freezer drawer though so I will have to make further inroads into the rest of the freezer before he notices. I did manage some chicken and roast veg from the freezer for tea together with store cupboard pasta and sauce, so not too bad at all.

It snowed till about 2pm here... pretty. Mostly melted now though but it was nice to have a good excuse for a lazy morning! I went out in the afternoon to my piano lesson, the shops and later to a friends for board games and snacks, to which I contributed a dessert. I was going to count that under the food budget but it occurred to me it's more like hospitality or entertaining. We had a lot of fun and far too many calories. The fourth day in a row that I've had to estimate calories but still been well over what's good for me. I don't want to gain back the weight I lost last year.

Actually the whole going-out budget this evening is a mixture: I bought some cheap drinking glasses to present the desserts in but we get to keep them... still that can be 'entertaining' as I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. I also chose cream instead of the same-price-but-smaller alternative as the 400ml 'spare' cream I have left over will make 'free' butter. I am missing my butter as I've been using a spread and it just doesn't melt as well on toast!

Spends:
    Piano lesson £10.00
    Toiletries £7.48
    Housekeeping £2.59
    Hospitality/entertaining £6.20
    MS stuff:
    'Free' drinking glasses, butter, buttermilk, small amount of custard and two portions of pudding from today's entertaining.
    Found hair mousse and toothpaste in the £ shop - saved a few pounds.
    Confession time:
    There was probably a possible cheaper dessert but I didn't have time to find ingredients.
    Bought an unplanned leave-in hair conditioner.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 07-02-2018 at 12:23 AM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've realised this is my last proper day off for a while: next week's are all claimed either by usual activities plus I've invited friends round for a couple of hours, or by another trip to work on Mum's house. I therefore need to get the house in better shape than it currently is, and prep things to make work days easier, as well as anything I need to sort out for going to the house.

I woke up with a cold but so far it isn't too bad and the sun is shining so I can do things, by which I don't mean sit in front of the computer all day.

So far today:
    Cleared the medicine cupboard of the out of dates, they are in a bag to take to the chemist.
    One load of laundry done.
    OOD milk still smells okay so thrown together a rice pudding for DS
    Made spare cream into butter and buttermilk.
    Turned the remainder of yesterday's fruit fool into an experimental ice cream.
    Tried yesterday's watermelon sorbet and it tastes a bit funny - maybe that watermelon was further gone than I thought!

Still to do:
    Drop old meds off at the chemist.
    Replace cough syrup and painkiller gel in case we need them.
    Buy hay and a cucumber for the guinea pig.
    Plan dinner for tonight.
    Clean area of kitchen ready for primer.
    Do some cunning scheming to target housework so the place looks better.

This last is because the house is in great need of some decorating! DH is part way through papering the lounge but had to stop when his father wasn't well last week and since then we've only managed to get one piece of paper up. (Layout of the room is complicated). We did make a start on some paper and paint for the kitchen too and as my friends will see this when they come, I suddenly have an urge to make it look more finished! Other than that any decluttering and tidying may get logged here in the interests of making me see progress.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    The afternoon update, in which I haven't done anything I said I would...

Achievements:
    Great rejoicing at Wannabe's diary coming back to life after trolls got it deleted. Go MSE techies! And human kindness. I hear other diaries are back too - I do hope SunAddict's is among them.
    Two lots of washing on the line, so while I may be crumpled, I will at least be clean.
    Made two batches of no-cook pickles.
    Discovered 3 chubby caterpillars hiding in the cabbage which I'd stored out of doors (colder and roomier than the fridge) - caterpillars are in a vases with a few chunks of cabbage while I wonder whether to put them back out of doors. I'm pretty certain they weren't there when I put it out so maybe caterpillars can move about in the winter?
    Baked two batches of pastries (croissants and cinnamon swirls) from left-over Christmas supplies. No, I don't need the calories.

Not yet achieved:
    Drop old meds off at the chemist.
    Replace cough syrup and painkiller gel in case we need them.
    Buy hay and a cucumber for the guinea pig.
    Plan dinner for tonight - though I'm sort of thinking curried veggie pie?
    Clean area of kitchen ready for primer.
    Do some cunning scheming to target housework so the place looks better.
    Any ironing whatsoever.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    In the end all I got done was a massive lot of cooking! No money spent, though. There is still half a curried veg pie for another day, plus two jars of pickles, some butter and buttermilk, two portions of soup, a jar of ginger syrup and some croissants (the cinnamon whirls are all gone, as is the rice pudding and the fish fingers DH had for tea).

A few bits have gone to the compost heap and the guinea pig had some tasters but wasn't too keen as it wasn't cucumber. I tried to put together an online order for the trip next week but there's plenty in the cupboards already: I only need fresh stuff so I'd better get that in the village. I can't justify a full-blown order for three nights.

A couple of things I want to buy: one is apples to try a parsnip and apple soup. I'm not sure if that's a thing but it sounds as though it ought to be. The other is a spike, or possibly two spikes! Someone mentioned them for collecting receipts the other day and I remembered my parents having one. I thought they went out with the ark! No, it seems spikes are still around and despite my new habit of throwing out as many receipts as I can, I know there are always a few that need to be kept at least for a while... and then I have to keep stuff to do with Mum's estate until it's all sorted. So I want a couple of spikes. They don't cost much but I'm not going to spoil my NSD for them.

It's been freezing outside all day though it was good to get out of doors enough to put the washing on the line (didn't need to tumble it as it will finish on the airer). The heating's been on at 18 all day but I still feel chilly, though DS is in a tee shirt. (DS is always in a tee shirt).

And... I've found a recipe for parsnip and apple soup! It's in my Cranks Cookbook, source of various good veggie ideas. I don't know if I'll get round to it tomorrow: depends if and when I go to the shops. It looks straightforward enough...

Right, I'm off for another scout round to see if there are any more 'lost' diaries reappearing!
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 8th Feb 18, 2:29 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    DD2 made parsnip and apple soup yesterday for the student restaurant! It's one I've always fancied trying but know it will just be me that eats it so will have to wait until I have room in the freezer to freeze portions.

I'm impressed at your getting the washing outside. My whirly gig washing line was a casualty of the last gale so our laundry is missing that outside freshness smell.
    paydbx #93 £415/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3123 in Jan 18
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 8th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,268 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Morning
    I've always thought a spike would be useful - never seen one in shops though, and never searched - await with interest

Have a lovely day
    NOAx
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 8th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Yum parsnip and apple soup is my favourite,I havent made it in ages and I also have a couple of Cranks cookbooks knocking around my kitchen somewhere I think,unless I got rid of them in the last big clear out I will have to have a look,my daughter brought home a book a couple of years ago called The Busy Mums Vegetarian Cookbook and when I do cook something from scratch it usually comes from there,sadly Ive got out of the habit of cooking from scratch and have been living on jars,packets and ready meals,this will have to,stop now though as its so expensive and now I wont be gallivanting around town spending money I dont have I will in theory have more time for cooking,Im thinking of making a banana bread today but I only have two bananas and the recipe says three so Im not sure if it will be bananery enough,they need using though and I dont want to waste them
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 08-02-2018 at 9:38 AM.
    Just keep swimming
    Payment a day challenge = £58.76
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,032Posts Today

9,834Users online

Martin's Twitter