Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wrongdidilywrong
    • By Wrongdidilywrong 2nd Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Wrongdidilywrong
    Accept 30% or Escalate? EE complaint 816 Resolver tool
    • 2nd Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    Accept 30% or Escalate? EE complaint 816 Resolver tool 2nd Mar 17 at 6:10 PM
    Hi, I have copied & pasted details from my Resolver file in the hope that people can advise me as to whether I should accept this offer from EE. The Resolver page says I can escalate it in 17 days. Do you think I have a strong enough argument or should I just accept the 30% reduction on offer?

My first letter sent via the Resolver facility

It has come to my attention that I have been placed on the wrong tariff. To explain in more detail The account is in my name but is for my daughters phone. Her 2yr contract came to an end in December. 2016. In January the two of us went to the EE store in the Trafford Centre Manchester initially to see what upgrades were available to her.

The assistant initially did a quote for a new IPhone however as we talked things through we realised that as my daughter was waiting to see if she had been successful in her application to spend her 3rd year of University as a study abroad year in Australia, maybe now was not the best time to sign up to a new 2 year contract. I suggested that she better wait until she knew whether she would be going and had researched the best option for phone use in Australia.

I suggested that she Should still change from her current contract as her phone was 2 years old and paid for/out of contract and that she was now paying too much and should be able to retain the same allowances on a sim only package for less money until she was in position to make a decision about a new 2yr contract with a new phone.

The assistant said he would look at her current tariff and her actual usage in order that he could suggest a suitable replacement alternative.
    He suggested a plan saying it would cover what she usually uses, my daughter was wary as her old contract was unlimited but he not only assured us that he had checked her previous actual usage but also said that it was capped anyway ( as a student on very limited funds my daughter is very mindful of budgeting and not getting unexpected bills and has obviously heard all the scare stories though her younger school days)
    We were both left with the impression that she had been put on a 1 month rolling contract that provided for her usual usage and had the added security of being capped and that the phone would just not allow her to go over what she had agreed.
    We were in the store for a long long time as the assistant had to keep going for help, he said he had to do it on a manual form and that he hadn't done one before.
    I have spoken to EE billing today after my daughter sent me a copy of a text message she received today (27th Feb) from EE stating that her usage is higher than normal, I signed in online to see her 1st bill on this new sim only contract has come in at 816.94
    The person I spoke to at EE billing offered to reduce the bill by 30% but that still leaves a bill of well over 500 when her usage hasn't changed, she hasn't had anything extra this month that she didn't have last month or for the previous 24 months, the only difference being that instead of being billed 40 she's been billed 816 due to someone putting her on a completely unsuitable plan that was never going to cover her usual miniutes usage during term time when she is away at uni.
    The EE billing centre say they sent a text message on the 2nd Feb to tell my daughter about her allowance, she missed the text and was of the impression she had a cap so had no worries regarding her phone. She then received today's message stating her usage was higher than normal by which time her bill is up to 816. The tariff has been incorrect since January 18th, 2017.

To resolve this situation I would like you to I think she should pay the same amount as she would of paid (40) if she hadn't been put on the wrong plan.
    She has not benefitted in anyway and EE have not lost anything

I am dissatisfied with the service that you have provided at this time, and would appreciate your acknowledgment of my concern as soon as possible, along with an offer of resolution within 7 days of this correspondence being received.

Please reply to my resolver email account as I would like to keep all of my communications in my personalised case file.

Yours faithfully

EE response:

Thank you for your recent email regarding the above account and the concerns you have surrounding the contract you recently accepted.

As requested within your email I am providing a written response to try and resolve this matter for you.

Having viewed the account I can appreciate your frustration with the recent bill you have received and your concerns with how you were sold your current package.

I apologise for the information you may have been given in store, while the package your daughter has been placed on is not capped we do provide texts to advise our customers of there allowances.

Looking through the account notes I can see that we did send a text to your daughter's number on 3rd February 2017 advising that the allowances on the line had been used.

After viewing your daughter's bill I can see that she had continued to use her phone after receiving this text which has resulted in the outstanding balance of 816.94 Inc VAT.

While I acknowledge that this is a much higher bill then was expected and that the information you may have been provided in store was incorrect, it is the customer's responsibility to maintain their account and monitor their usage.

The charges on the account are correct and are payable, however I can see the offer which has already been made by our Customer Services Department of a reduction by 245.08 Inc VAT.

While the charges are correct I will be happy to offer this reduction to you again to reduce the outstanding balance in full and final settlement of your complaint.

I can appreciate your dissatisfied with the service you have received, but I would not be able to reduce the balance on the account to the amount requested as the tariff your line is on it the one which was agreed to in store.

I apologise if my response is not the outcome you were hoping for but I hope I have outlined our stance on this matter.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me regarding your complaint, I will await your response to the above offer.

Kind regards

My second letter:

Dear Sir or Madam,

We sought face to face advise from one of your own advisors in one of your own stores. We asked him to look at past usage and recommend a suitable alternative. I think you have to take more responsibility for your own staff and whether they are fully trained enough to be giving advise, he had to keep leaving us to seek help from others, it seemed to me that he required more support. Like most people we had no idea what my daughters usage was, we asked him to look it up as EE would have 2years worth of usage to check, we did not have that information to hand whilst in store we relied on your member of staff to tell the truth.

When I spoke with a member of your team on the phone on the 27th Feb I asked whether my daughters usage had gone up, I was told that they couldn't see the same information as the store so couldn't tell me. Only when I pressed the second person I spoke with and asked where I could get this information and asked who I needed to speak to was I finally given the information.
    It showed that my daughters previous usage was over 800 minutes in August & September, over 900 minutes in October and over 1500 mins in November only dropping to 342 minutes in December when she was home from university. So why did your assistant recommend a package with not enough minutes to cover her usual usage when that was what we specifically asked for.

After sending a text on the 3rd February, you sent no other message for 24 days allowing my daughter to go over by 795.94 inclusive of VAT before sending a text to say her usage was higher than normal. As soon as she received that message she forwarded it to me and asked me to sign in to her account as she doesn't know the login details. Her only error was in missing one text sent at the beginning of February, she wasn't watching out for messages or even thinking about her usage as she had already confirmed that account was capped.

In no way do I feel this is a fair out come. She and I confirmed in store face to face that the account was capped.

Had we of been advised correctly in store this bill could not of arisen, my daughter has not gained anything over and above what she usually receives from this account and by reverting her payment to the previous months you will not of lost anything from what you usually receive from her account.

You should not be able to financially gain through staff putting people on inappropriate tariffs, it is simply not fair. It is your company error, my daughter will experience considerable hardship if this payment is enforced.

Regards,

EE second response:

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your response to my previous email, I apologise that my response was not the outcome you were hoping for.

I can appreciate the information you were given in store may not have been correct and this will be fed back to the store in question for further training to be provided.

With regards to your experience whilst calling to enquire about the bill in question, I again apologise for the service you were given and this again will be dealt with internally.

While I understand your daughter did not read the allowance text which was sent, the contract your daughter is on is the plan which was agreed in store and details of the plan will have been provided at the point of sale.

No further texts will have been sent to the above mobile number after the allowance alert, as we provide various methods to check and monitor the account for both usage and charges.

As outlined previously we would not be able to reduce the outstanding bill any further then the reduction of 245.08 Inc VAT in full and final settlement of your complaint.

With regard to the remaining balance we can put you in touch with our Collections Department who can discuss the options you have available to help clear the balance owed.

If you would like to accept the above offer please let me know and I can have this applied for you. Thank you again for your email and allowing me to outline our stance on this matter.

Kind regards
    Last edited by Wrongdidilywrong; 02-03-2017 at 6:13 PM. Reason: Wrong date info
Page 1
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 2nd Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Atasas
    • 2nd Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 2nd Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    TBH, very little maneuvering left... Can not tell my 100% prediction, but on basis of "reaching compromise" it is already presented as fair solution...
    • Wrongdidilywrong
    • By Wrongdidilywrong 2nd Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wrongdidilywrong
    • 2nd Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 2nd Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    Thank you for your quick response and apologies for the epic read!
    Your reply is exactly what I'm looking for, just a general consensus as to whether I'll get anywhere, my daughter is busting a gut to save up for her year away and this has come as a huge blow. She really isn't an irresponsible kid, she genuinely thought she had it covered with the capping, she had no reason to think she needed to keep an eye on anything.
    Thank you again for taking the trouble to read the post and reply, much appreciated.
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 2nd Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Atasas
    • 2nd Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 2nd Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    Just seeing from perspective of having a war and being able to prove...
    Sucks and blows, very expensive mistake, but perhaps need to be taken as a lesson and soldier on...
    • Wrongdidilywrong
    • By Wrongdidilywrong 2nd Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wrongdidilywrong
    • 2nd Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 2nd Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    Yep, totally see where you are coming from, just can't believe they didn't send any interim warnings, to allow it to go over for 24 days and 816 before sending the " your usage is higher than normal" text is really sneaky
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 2nd Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Atasas
    • 2nd Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 2nd Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    Yep, totally see where you are coming from, just can't believe they didn't send any interim warnings, to allow it to go over for 24 days and 816 before sending the " your usage is higher than normal" text is really sneaky
    Originally posted by Wrongdidilywrong
    and I see why it is very tempting reason to be continue escalating the issue...
    On the same note- they kind off admitted "their fault"? , but pushing it further, it is not 100% proof or direct evidence either.
    Counter-weighing their "negligence" vs discount and probability to win outright...
    Sorry, just rumbling...
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 3rd Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Shrimply
    • 3rd Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 3rd Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    I'm a little confused. Surely your daughter knew how many minutes she was using month on month, information that is provided on each bill.

And surely the sales person or paperwork told you how many minutes were included on the new contract. If these two numbers didn't match up why did you accept the new plan?

While EE have provided incorrect information regarding capping. I feel if your daughter had really been responsible she'd have been keeping an eye on her actual usage vs what is included in her plan either via the online account or her phones software. Not to mention the initial text that wasn't acted on but presumably EE can prove they sent.
    • Wrongdidilywrong
    • By Wrongdidilywrong 3rd Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wrongdidilywrong
    • 3rd Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 3rd Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    Hi, my daughter doesn't receive paper bills and because her previous tariff was unlimited she had no need to check the bill online.

Going into the EE store was just on impulse whilst shopping, just remembered she had gone out of contract in December so thought we'd pop in the store whilst passing and see what was on offer. We wouldn't of signed up to a new 2year contract there and then we were just gathering info. As it was just an impulse thing we hadn't come prepared with info regarding her usage (when I look online at her last bill for her old unlimited contract it doesn't state what has been used anyway, presumably because it was unlimited)

We asked the assistant in store to tell us what she needed to cover her usual usage, neither her or I had any idea what she uses, probably because it's never mattered before being on an unlimited tariff (looking back I'm really not sure he knew what he was doing, he was constantly having to go and ask other staff members for help). I don't remember him giving an actual figure or breakdown of her usage he just suggested a package. I have no idea why he would recommend a package that didn't provide for her needs, he had no incentive to do that, I can only assume that he couldn't find the info he was looking for on the system but why he would say it was capped when it wasn't I really can't understand.

When she left the store she thought she had been put on a sim only deal that covered her normal usage but was cheaper because she had now paid for her handset via her previous contract, she also had peace of mind because the account was capped so she had no need to check her account. Her only error was in missing the one and only text message.
    Last edited by Wrongdidilywrong; 03-03-2017 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
    • diamonds
    • By diamonds 3rd Mar 17, 6:41 PM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    diamonds
    • 3rd Mar 17, 6:41 PM
    • 3rd Mar 17, 6:41 PM
    What was her plan & what plan did they move her to ? Login to EE my account/bills to find out and update us. You should note all the usage on bills.

Data is capped on EE, you buy more not calls/texts that are billed per unit after allowances.

A sales assistant (if you can call EE staff that) would need to confirm with you the plan (allowances) moved to in store to confirm agreement, did they give you a copy of anything? the plan? the form he had to manually send ?

Perhaps the manual form was not acted upon ?

Don't just give up on 800/500, investigate what the EE shop staff member has done, sounds like miselling to me if it is believed your allowances were the same but reduced cost per month moving to sim only as the minimum term with handset was complete.
    Last edited by diamonds; 03-03-2017 at 6:48 PM.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 4th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 9,873 Posts
    • 8,852 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    These charges are extortionate and I have a deep sympathy for you. I would not want that sort of bill.

However, as your daughter is becoming an adult, she needs to learn responsibility, and, with all due respect to you personally, you should both have left the store when changing contract with a clear understanding of what you were purchasing in terms of the 3 items - minutes, texts and data. When you write
    "When she left the store she thought she had been put on a sim only deal that covered her normal usage but was cheaper because she had now paid for her handset via her previous contract, she also had peace of mind because the account was capped so she had no need to check her account. Her only error was in missing the one and only text message
    . " you are wrong. Where was the written evidence of what she had signed up for? Absolutely basic information for any sort of business contract.

And you should also have checked in advance what she needed. All that would have taken is contacting the network and asking for 3 or 4 months' usage.

As far as I know, Tesco are one of the very few netwroks that cap expenditure, although there is an expenditure cap on data when in Europe for all networks.
    • gycraig
    • By gycraig 7th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    gycraig
    You daughter used 1500 minutes in one month your daughter must know ball park figures of what she's using ?

I'm assuming you was given a contract that stated the minutes ?
    • Wrongdidilywrong
    • By Wrongdidilywrong 7th Mar 17, 3:40 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wrongdidilywrong
    Apologies for the delay in replying
    In answer to the above questions

Her plan that came to an end in December was :
    33.26 +VAT =39.91
    4gb data
    unlimited texts
    unlimited minutes

The plan she has been moved on to is :
    1Month SIM Essential 20.99
    3gb data
    unlimited texts
    500 minutes

My initial thoughts were that her minutes usage must of shot up (new fella and all that)
    So that was the first thing I sought to find out. The EE billing enquiry guy initially said that yes her usage had gone from her previous bill but when I pressed him on this he was referring to her usage between 18th Jan (the date her plan changed) and 26th Jan (her billing date) an 8 day period, which again seemed a bit sneaky.
    He was trying to imply that she had been sold a suitable package based on her past
    usage but had then suddenly used way more in the month of February.

When I asked for the previous six months usage I was initially told they couldn't see the same info as the stores could and couldn't give me that info, only when I firmly insisted that they put me through to a department that could give me this detail (as it was crucial) did they finally give me her past minutes usage. It clearly showed that her new plan would never of covered her usual calls. This fact, plus being told it was capped really did just leave my daughter in a position that she was going to end up with an unexpected bill.

I admit that we hadn't done our homework it was an impulsive thing going in to the EE store, just looking what EE were offering before then doing our research more widely.It was only once we were talking it through that we realised a new contract was a bad idea due to not knowing whether studying abroad for a year, that we then decided to just move it to a sim only package otherwise she'd of carried on paying for a handset that was now already paid for.

We were given paperwork ( hasn't turned up yet ) I'm not saying that we didn't know what we'd bought more that we were told that what we were purchasing was a suitable plan that covered her usual usage (whatever that had been over previous months)

This bill accrued over just a 24 day period on a new plan that was not only wrongly recommended to us and totally unsuitable but was also sold as a capped plan. I really can't accept that we have been irresponsible and deserve a bill of 500/800 for something that would of cost her 39 if she'd of not gone into the store and done nothing.
    • Wrongdidilywrong
    • By Wrongdidilywrong 13th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wrongdidilywrong
    Update, got 100% reduction. Accept 30% or escalate
    An update to give others hope and encouragement
    After several letters back and too, I suddenly got a phone call out of the blue offering me 70% off the overspend but they still wanted over 300, I said no, they then offered me 100% off but still left 150 owing!!! ???? What how can you give me 100% off and I still owe 150, turns out it was the VAT. I pointed out that if they reduce the overspend by 100% then there is just the 17.99 plus VAT to pay, they can't charge me the 130 odd pounds vat on a 17.99 bill so I paid 20.99 to clear the bill and they have lifted the bar on the phone.
    I hadn't escalated the complaint through resolver, that was my next move but got the phone call first, no idea why but think I was lucky that I managed to stop the direct debit before they took the 816, think I'd of had a lot more trouble getting it back if they'd already taken it.
    Anyway MASSIVE relieve. Thank you to all of you that took the time to read the long post and to those that replied also.
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 16th Mar 17, 6:20 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Atasas
    An update to give others hope and encouragement
    After several letters back and too, I suddenly got a phone call out of the blue offering me 70% off the overspend but they still wanted over 300, I said no, they then offered me 100% off but still left 150 owing!!! ???? What how can you give me 100% off and I still owe 150, turns out it was the VAT. I pointed out that if they reduce the overspend by 100% then there is just the 17.99 plus VAT to pay, they can't charge me the 130 odd pounds vat on a 17.99 bill so I paid 20.99 to clear the bill and they have lifted the bar on the phone.
    I hadn't escalated the complaint through resolver, that was my next move but got the phone call first, no idea why but think I was lucky that I managed to stop the direct debit before they took the 816, think I'd of had a lot more trouble getting it back if they'd already taken it.
    Anyway MASSIVE relieve. Thank you to all of you that took the time to read the long post and to those that replied also.
    Originally posted by Wrongdidilywrong
    Well done you (and, aught to admit rarely seen decency by EE)
    Great result!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 17th Mar 17, 12:55 AM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    robin58
    Great result! Agree with the above message. EE technical nextwork is fantastic but thier face fronting side to the public is rubbish.

When i was with them i had a complaint with EE, I had a world tour of the phone helpline starting in India, then South Africa and finally Newcastle Scotland before it got sorted.

Would never go back to EE unless it was the only supplier I could use.

I just wonder now EE is part if BT, will the standard be dragged further down.
    Last edited by robin58; 17-03-2017 at 12:58 AM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 17th Mar 17, 1:05 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Atasas
    BT= BBC monstrosity,
    My 0.02ct
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,851Posts Today

4,592Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin