Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 2nd Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 6,910Posts
    • 11,358Thanks
    andrewf75
    paths between raised beds
    • 2nd Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    paths between raised beds 2nd Mar 17 at 2:24 PM
    Hi all,
    I am planning to sort out the paths between my raised veg beds as they are currently a mess of grass and weeds. Don't really like the idea of bark so am thinking gravel. Needs to be functional rather than decorative so I'm thinking of doing the following:
    digging out the turf/weeds, levelling it and laying some weed membrane and then a few odd bits of slabs with Type 1 sub base material filling the gaps.
    Does this sound OK? Or does anyone have any better ideas?
    Many thanks!
Page 1
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 3rd Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 2,666 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    NigeWick
    • 3rd Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3rd Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    I've got raised beds and was going to lay membrane and then gravel (£35 per tonne) but I've now decided to go with bark as it is bio degradable for if it gets lifted onto the beds. I can get bark from a local sawmill. Where we used to live I laid 2' square slabs between beds to make a decent width path.

I say just go with what you are happiest with.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 3rd Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    • 3rd Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    • 3rd Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    Our allotments have a huuuuge pile of free woodchip so ground control membrane then a bunch of woodchip for us. At the end of the season we will dump the woodchip into the beds for the winter along with compost then lay fresh stuff on the paths.
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 5th Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    • 3,460 Posts
    • 12,496 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    • 5th Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    • 5th Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    Gravel can be a swine in a growing space. It sticks to muddy boots or wheelbarrows and gets carted everywhere. It hinders the free movement of wheels and is a so-and-so to kneel on if you need to get down on it.

Much better to have wood chippings which at least won't smash the lawnmower blades if accidentally caught up.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 6th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 11,358 Thanks
    andrewf75
    • 6th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 6th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    Gravel can be a swine in a growing space. It sticks to muddy boots or wheelbarrows and gets carted everywhere. It hinders the free movement of wheels and is a so-and-so to kneel on if you need to get down on it.

Much better to have wood chippings which at least won't smash the lawnmower blades if accidentally caught up.
    Originally posted by paddy's mum
    Thanks. I realise loose gravel may be an issue which is why I thought of something compactable (see opening post) to make a solid surface. Also, the paths between my beds are not wide enough for wheelbarrows and the idea of the raised beds is that I don’t need to get my boots muddy.
    I see the attraction of bark chippings, but am still leaning towards something more solid
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 12th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    • 2,265 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    I used strips of old carpet between my raised beds. Worked well, cost zero, no mess or maintenance. Needs replaced after 3-4 years.
    • Arthog
    • By Arthog 12th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    Arthog
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    I put magazines, newspapers and flattened cardboard boxes between my raised beds. Stops all weeds and lasts well.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 13th Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 11,358 Thanks
    andrewf75
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    Thanks for those tips, I have a few strips of carpet there now, but as its a garden not an allotment I want something that looks a bit better.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 14th Mar 17, 10:01 PM
    • 2,265 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:01 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:01 PM
    Ah ok, I think we just assumed it
    Needs to be functional rather than decorative
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 15th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 11,358 Thanks
    andrewf75
    I see what you mean! I guess I want something that looks better than old manky carpet, but happy for it to be a mish mash of slabs and gravel
    Thanks anyway!
    • westiea
    • By westiea 17th Mar 17, 3:56 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    westiea
    Have a look at 'self binding gravels' they are a fine limestone that you wacker plate flat and then water to set firm. Link for info only here your local aggregate supplier will give you more info.
    Greyer by the minute - Older by the hour - Wiser by the day
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 17th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 11,358 Thanks
    andrewf75
    Have a look at 'self binding gravels' they are a fine limestone that you wacker plate flat and then water to set firm. Link for info only here your local aggregate supplier will give you more info.
    Originally posted by westiea
    Yes I think this is the kind of thing I want, but am considering just using type 1 sub-base as I think it is effectively the same thing – and cheaper.
    • blueorchid
    • By blueorchid 19th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    blueorchid
    I used that lime stuff and it became a sludgy mess. I've since covered in up with something like a rockery you can walk on.
    • blueorchid
    • By blueorchid 19th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    blueorchid
    I also found weeds could grow in the compacted limey stuff. In another area between raised beds, I've making a surface by laying trimmings from bamboo plants and Phormium leaves.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,635Posts Today

5,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin