Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • khurramhassan
    • By khurramhassan 2nd Mar 17, 1:12 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    khurramhassan
    Wheelchair accessible vehicle
    • 2nd Mar 17, 1:12 PM
    Wheelchair accessible vehicle 2nd Mar 17 at 1:12 PM
    Hi all,

My mother is over 70 and has become wheelchair bound.
    She'll be moving in with us.

It looks as though we'll only be eligible for the attendance allowance. We won't be eligible for the motability scheme...

I'm looking to buy a car that is wheelchair accessible and is big enough for a large family.

I'm looking to buy privately but perhaps because of the motability scheme there don;t seem to be many options.

Any advice about where to buy will be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • custardy
    • By custardy 2nd Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 32,285 Posts
    • 27,024 Thanks
    custardy
    • 2nd Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 2nd Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    Are you talking about a vehicle where the wheelchair goes right in?
    Most seem to be small van based platforms.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Disabled-Vehicles/36626/bn_2316490/i.html
    • lemontart
    • By lemontart 4th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 5,827 Posts
    • 7,395 Thanks
    lemontart
    • 4th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 4th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    I got an ex area health authority patient transport vehicle off ebay, 6 seats, and ramp with space for my chair or scooter - very practical as can carry lot of folk - Ford Transit connect tourneo - prices on ebay from £3k to 6k last summer.

One issue is most mutli story car parks have height restrictions which is a problem.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
    • Incywincy21
    • By Incywincy21 15th May 17, 8:51 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    Incywincy21
    • 15th May 17, 8:51 PM
    • 15th May 17, 8:51 PM
    Hi, I don't know if you managed to get one, but we looked for a long time before settling a few years back on a secondhand VW Caddy. It is now 10 years old but in decent nick. It has 5 fixed seats. Wheelchair Access ramp into the back with the necessary seatbelts etc to tie a wheelchair down if needing to remain in the chair while driving - and as a bonus you can fold the ramp down and use a bench seat in its place when the ramp is not needed meaning you have 7 seats.
    Compared to other vehicles its not as big and van like id say! Hope this helps!
    • easy
    • By easy 18th May 17, 3:18 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 2,633 Thanks
    easy
    • 18th May 17, 3:18 PM
    • 18th May 17, 3:18 PM
    A quick google search brought these up http://www.fmccars.co.uk/showroom/searchgroup/wheelchair
    and https://mobilitynationwide.co.uk/find-a-wheelchair-accessible-vehicle/
    who seem to have a good selection of used vehicles, but obviously I don't know your budget.

I guess it's going to be harder to find vehicles for sale privately, but you do have better rights buying from a dealer, if there is any problem with the vehicle after purchase.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 19th May 17, 9:28 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    • 19th May 17, 9:28 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:28 AM
    I had a Renault kangoo drive from vehicle. It depends on your wheelchair and once inside space can be a bit tight. I sold it after £30000 miles because there were numerous problems with it. Being Renault parts were expensive and sometimes a long wait ordering parts. I part exchanged for a vw caravelle and it means I can carry other disabeld equipment I might need to take with me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,563Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin