Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vault101
    • By Vault101 2nd Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Vault101
    Advice needed - House or Wedding?
    • 2nd Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    Advice needed - House or Wedding? 2nd Mar 17 at 11:39 AM
    Hi - first post - sorry if this is in the wrong place.

My GF and I are locked in a bit of a dispute at the moment. She wants to get married, and knows exactly what she wants in a wedding (and wants a big-ish wedding and there's little room for negotiation)

I also want to get married, and make her happy and give her what she wants, but I want us to save for and buy a house first. I think it's sensible to get a permanent roof over our heads and to not be paying rent for longer than we need before spending thousands on a wedding.

I was just curious as to people's opinions on this? I appreciate that there's no right answer - but I'm always made to feel like I'm in the wrong about it, which has left me wondering perhaps I am.

Thanks!
Page 7
    • happyrose
    • By happyrose 22nd Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    happyrose
    happyrose
    Interesting attitude from partner - but if I could tell you about a very close friend. Big wedding with all the bells and whistles a few years back, and it really was a lovely day, renting flat with intentions of buying. As family grew they moved into rented house and now been given notice to quit as owner selling up. With less than 3 months to go they are unable to afford anything nearby - school and family for extra childcare essential - not enough for a deposit and renting market prices increased
    They now realise how vulnerable they are, could move into a dearer rented place and find themselves in same situation in 12 months time. If they remain and are evicted they could end up anywhere, not near school, family etc and in a b n b, if they refuse council help they are taken off the list.
    House for me all the way. Weddings can be done on a budget, be creative, most spend because they are materialistic, duped into marketing and want to impress "friends" !!!
    • LKRDN_Morgan
    • By LKRDN_Morgan 22nd Mar 17, 7:40 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    LKRDN_Morgan
    Go for the house first!
    We went down the wedding route first and I really regret it. In the last 2 years since we got married house prices where we live have risen so much we're almost priced it. Thankfully we've just managed to secure a mortgage but I'm not being dramatic when I say another 6 months might have been a different story.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

1,727Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin