Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZarZar1990
    • By ZarZar1990 1st Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 290Posts
    • 474Thanks
    ZarZar1990
    Back again!
    • 1st Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    Back again! 1st Mar 17 at 10:09 PM
    I was last here in 2009 as a single student in a modest amount of debt.

6 years of house sharing and 4 promotions later, I'm back.

I now live with my OH, and I'm sad to say that I'm in even more debt than before

Myself and OH combined our loan and credit card debt, so we have around £19k outstanding on a personal loan.

We also have around £1000 each in overdrafts and credit cards, which just goes to show that consolidation never works

I remembered that I found this site and forums super useful all those eight years ago, and I managed to whittle down some debt with the help of them

We own our house (mortgaged obviously), which is great because the mortgage is less than I was previously paying in rent.

My OH used to be worse than me with money, but after a couple of months of experiencing more month than money left, he's fully on the bandwagon.

Our scenario is as such:

We both have good jobs, we should have plenty of spare money each month, even with our sky-high outgoings.
    I've got us utilising Quidco for every purchase, and we've already almost filled a 'sealed pot'.

I've also taken control of all of the budgeting, trimmed down everything I can, and I am ready to go!

I'm going to use this as a spending diary, and my little challenges are as follows:

-Walk into work (I park for free, but it's 1.5 miles to my place of work, so occasionally I get the bus!).

-Stop buying coffee in the morning (I am a caffeine addict).

-Take lunches into work with me.

-Draw out a weekly allowance of 'spending money' in cash, and spend it sparingly. (I currently have a monthly allowance but make the mistake of using my debit card for everything, leaving me skint towards the end of the month).

-As a rule, never drink on weeknights.

I'm not anywhere close to being an alcoholic, and I never used to drink in the week. My OH came along and it turned into sharing a bottle of wine almost every night!
    Not only was this bad for my waistline, it was bad for my wallet and mental health too!
    I've pretty much stopped this now, but I need to ensure I keep on it so if I do go out at the weekend I can enjoy myself guilt-free.

I'm already enjoying the sense of community in being back, and catching up on some of the threads.

Let's make it stick this time!
Page 2
    • ZarZar1990
    • By ZarZar1990 9th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    ZarZar1990
    Got super excited because I had an email telling me I'd had some cash back confirmed on Quidco...

Only to be told that it's 0.03p
    Every little helps I guess!

Good start today:
    -haven't bought a coffee or spent any money
    -walked into work
    -have started tracking my calories

Thinking of going to Boots on lunch as I've an advantage card with around £25 on it so can get a meal deal for 'free'.

At Zumba tonight to help with the battle of the bulge.

Tomorrow OH goes away for the weekend with 'the lads' (they're all actually in their mid 30s)

I'm at my mums tomorrow night for a free meal and free dog sitting when I'm at work Saturday, then Saturday night I've got 'the girls' coming over (we're all in our late 20s). We're having a Chinese and some wine but it's all pre budgeted for and it's cheaper than a weekend away

Feeling good about this DF journey so far!
    Personal Loan: Start: £22020 Now: £18800

Credit Card: £600

Overdraft: £500
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 9th Mar 17, 12:18 PM
    • 4,589 Posts
    • 14,588 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    You're doing great hun, I love the idea of a night in with the girls and a bottle of wine (or 2).

Have fun at your mums.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7800.00 Cap 1: £420.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

Lunches to work 5/25 ~ £10pw 2/5

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • ZarZar1990
    • By ZarZar1990 9th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    ZarZar1990
    Thanks Purple! x

• ZarZar1990
    • By ZarZar1990 11th Mar 17, 7:13 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    ZarZar1990
    Not been doing too badly I don't think!

Yesterday I went and bought supplies for breakfast and lunch for the week ahead, now, don't shoot me, but I'm giving meal replacement shakes a go!

I've wanted to try this 'Slender Blend' by protein world for ages, and it's currently half price (not on their website at a high st retailer).

I've been doing loads of dieting research recently and I worked out I need more protein and less carbs in my diet, because I have a sit down job, and I spend around 2 hrs per day in the car! So I can't burn off the amount of carbs I consume.

For the past few weeks I've been buying chicken and ham with no bread etc to eat to up my protein and keep my carbs low, but when I scanned the slender blend shake into my phone, it came up with ridiculously high protein content, so I think for breakfast and lunch, this is going to be the way forward.

I don't plan to do it for two meals every single day, but I've been online and read blogs of people who've had success from it by mixing it into their food diary, using it for a few weeks to give them a boost, etc, I'm still counting my calories because I'm conscious that drinking protein shakes aren't going to help me if I'm still eating too much, but, because protein burns quicker than carbs, and I'm upping my exercise with Zumba, I'm hoping this will give me a weight loss boost that I need... but we shall see!

Anyway, even if I only do it for the next week, that's still quite a lot of money saved on breakfast and lunch!

I now have £24 left in my purse and I'm allowed my next 'allowance' on Tuesday.
    I don't have any thing to buy apart from my takeaway tonight and a bottle of wine, which, shouldn't come to more than £15?

Nothing else to buy after that as I'm at home Sunday and Monday and we're having a food shop delivered on Monday (if I get round to ordering it) and that comes out of the food bill account, so no impact on my spending money.

Might need to buy some more milk today for my shakes, but that's about it!

• ZarZar1990
    • By ZarZar1990 13th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    ZarZar1990
    Had yesterday and today off work and feel great for it
    I feel as though I've got such a lot done and spent quality time with the OH and my Pupster.

This 'weekend' (my weekend) I have:

-Cleaned the house
    -Gone for a long walk with the dog
    -Done some exercise DVD
    -Stuck to my calorie limits
    -Done loads of washing
    -Read a chapter of my book
    -Added at least £10 to the sealed pot between me and the OH.

A constant source of discussion for me and the OH is how much our sealed pot will contain. It's one of those large ones in the shape of a champagne bottle, and we've been saving into it since October.
    We don't save copper coins into it though as we feel they'll waste valuable space
    I estimate we should be able to crack it open by April the 1st and the funds in it are to go towards our holiday spending money in June.

It's 88 days until our holiday, so saving money and sticking with the weight loss is my key priority!

I've also got my first of 5 structured counselling sessions on Wednesday morning before work.
    A couple of weeks ago, I was really struggling, just with 'life' in general, I felt useless, like I couldn't focus and work was stressing me out to the hilt.
    I rang up a helpline my employer provide, spoke to a counsellor for an hour who said that it sounds like I'm quite proactive about things but need some guidance in how to stop my mental health issues cropping up (searing anxiety at 3am that everyone I love is going to die and I'll be alone forever etc etc), or how to manage them better when they do.
    So, I'm going in with an open mind, feeling a bit silly because, really I've got a great life and shouldn't need counselling, but I suppose we all struggle occasionally

Anyway, the shakes are going really well too, they're so tasty!
    Will report back on Friday as to whether I've actually lost any weight I should bloody hope I have!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

887Posts Today

7,012Users online

Martin's Twitter