Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ashen
    • By Ashen 1st Mar 17, 12:34 AM
    • 384Posts
    • 246Thanks
    Ashen
    New TSB Classic Plus offer (new customers only...)
    • 1st Mar 17, 12:34 AM
    New TSB Classic Plus offer (new customers only...) 1st Mar 17 at 12:34 AM
    Seems like TSB have a new offer only for new Classic Plus customers (excludes previous customers too!)
    • £5 cashback every month just for having two direct debits per month.
    • Plus another £5 cashback every month if you spend with your debit card 20 times a month.
    • For accounts opened on or after 1 March 2017 only. Offer ends 30 June 2018.

http://www.tsb.co.uk/classic-plus-cashback-terms-conditions.pdf

Not exactly encouraging loyalty - that said, I guess if it's viewed as an equivalent to a switching bonus (and if they do end it in June 2018) then it's not so bad - although it still means existing customers can't get it.
    Last edited by Ashen; 01-03-2017 at 1:53 AM.
Page 2
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 14th Mar 17, 3:21 PM
    • 8,381 Posts
    • 4,982 Thanks
    teddysmum
    The only way to find out for sure is to call them or go into a branch.
    • Morphboy
    • By Morphboy 14th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Morphboy
    Cheers for that guys. I'll give them a call. I should have realised if I'd thought about it. The T&Cs shouldn't need to concern themselves with defined can'ts. I'm pretty sure it's a no go.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 14th Mar 17, 9:07 PM
    • 1,748 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    But surely Morphboy's issue is that he can indeed open a joint Plus account (under those standard Plus Ts & Cs) but it won't be eligible for the new cashback deal as both parties already hold Plus accounts, thereby disqualifying both of them from access to the new deal?
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    True, of course. On reflection he probably won't get the offer.
    • deedee1310
    • By deedee1310 14th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    deedee1310
    I opened a TSB Classic account back in January. The application got "stuck" in their system, so ended up taking nearly a month to finally get to the stage where they asked me to take documents to my nearest branch, for ID.

As soon as they had verified the documents, I was emailed a confirmation with my sort code and account number minutes later.

I had really wanted to open the Classic Plus account but didn't think I'd get accepted for it. However, I decided to try for the Classic Plus last week and was accepted instantly. I then went online and upgraded my Classic account. Therefore I now have 2 Classic Plus accounts. I also opened a normal Classic account this week too.

One is being used for savings and the other for monthly bills and other expenses.

I'm still shocked because I thought my credit rating was naff. I didn't ask for overdrafts for either account. I think I'm scoring better now due to a change in circumstances and I'm working on improving my credit rating overall.

So it looks like it's possible to have 2 Classic Plus accounts in a sole name.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 14th Mar 17, 11:53 PM
    • 1,748 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    So it looks like it's possible to have 2 Classic Plus accounts in a sole name.
    Originally posted by deedee1310
    It looks like you've found a loophole. I should keep quiet about it because if TSB realise they might close one of the accounts, or convert it to an ordinary classic account.
    • steve65e
    • By steve65e 15th Mar 17, 12:13 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    steve65e
    The only way to find out for sure is to call them or go into a branch.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I've been told in branch that you can get these perks if you open a new joint Plus account, or even if you upgrade an existing joint classic.

(The difficult bit is getting an appointment to do it that we can both get to, as none of this can be done online/by phone/post.)
    • Morphboy
    • By Morphboy 15th Mar 17, 4:12 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Morphboy
    All valid stuff guys and I'll see what they come back with. For me personally the key is in T&Cs "1.3 you must not have had a classic plus account before 1/3/17". I was thinking that a joint account might be a separate identity like a limited company but I think earthboy is right....... it ain't.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    • 8,381 Posts
    • 4,982 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I've been told in branch that you can get these perks if you open a new joint Plus account, or even if you upgrade an existing joint classic.

(The difficult bit is getting an appointment to do it that we can both get to, as none of this can be done online/by phone/post.)
    Originally posted by steve65e
    We had a month's wait for Saturday appointment, as they are, obviously, very popular. However, this was to open accounts and not just to query policy.
    • Helielli64
    • By Helielli64 15th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helielli64
    Annoying that you can't open joint account on line. It says 'pop into branch' which I did for info but we both need to make an appointment, go together, with passports or other id and spend an hour going through process. Yet if we both applied individually we could do so quickly on line without all that. I asked why as other banks accept joint applications on line. The reason was a vague one about the joint applicant might not be there when the application is made. It's put me off as it's not easy for us to get in together at the moment.
    • synth
    • By synth 17th Mar 17, 6:50 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    synth
    Want to report my experience.

New TSB customer. Applied ten minutes ago, straightforward application. Completed it and submitted. Waited 60 seconds and bam! They already supplied me with my sort code and account number. If only all banks could do that. TAKE NOTE, HSBC (the slowest of the slow)

I applied for a Coop account back in January and I'm already getting my £4 there. I won't use their debit card anymore because the TSB deal if far better. With Coop you get 5p per debit card transaction up to £1.50. You have to use your card 30 times to get £1.50 whereas with TSB you only need to use it 20 times to get £5. No brainer, really.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,548Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin