Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 28th Feb 17, 10:26 PM
    • 22,877Posts
    • 149,830Thanks
    Aesop
    Make £10 a day March 2017 - everybody most welcome to join
    • 28th Feb 17, 10:26 PM
    Make £10 a day March 2017 - everybody most welcome to join 28th Feb 17 at 10:26 PM
    Hello and welcome everybody

This is the 115th month of this challenge, which was first started by Batgirl, in September 2007.

Thanks to Batgirl for starting it, lynnejk, Rawdinosaur, Emmaglet, Nat21luv, Monkeynut, Sweetpeas, Purpleroses, JesaRose, MizMir for keeping the thread going.

I know this first post is long, but please read as it give tips on how this challenge works. Some of the content has changed

If you're new to the challenge don't be scared - here's how it works:

The aim of this challenge is to make £10 extra a day everyday for the month. A lot of people think this is impossible but it can and has been done, over and over. If you feel £10 is too much why not start at £5 or if you're brave join those who aim for £20 a day! Anything extra you make is great so set whatever target you think you can manage.

It also doesn't have to be £10 each and every day - some days you make more and some days you make less, but aim for £310 extra at the end of the month.

The idea is that everyone posts how they are making extra money and these shared ideas help all of us to learn new ways to help cut debt or earn/save money.

What cannot be added:
    Wages from your main job

What can be added:
    Overtime
    Income from a second job
    Daily clicks
    Interest
    Vouchers
    Mystery shopping
    And much, much more.

This board moves pretty quickly, so be sure to subscribe and read it regularly. Below are some ideas to get you started and a great place to read when you're in need of inspiration.

Sell your old books/DVDs/CDs/games here:
    Amazon.co.uk, play.com, webuybooks, zapper, CEX

Ebay - a place to sell anything and everything.

Gumtree, Preloved, cquot, ebid, craigslist, vivastreet, netmums.com, trade-it , Friday ad, priceminster - these are all places you can sell items too.

Survey sites - mysurvey and pinecone, prolific academic tend to be the best but there are many more it really depends on you finding the ones that work best for you - toluna, harris poll, valued opinions etc

also join Topcashback and Quidco - type in surveys in the search engine and some will pay you to join up with them.

Sealed Pot Challenge 2016 - basically you put your change into a jar over the year so in December you should have a nice pot of money to help

Mobile phone to recycle? try Martin's mobile recycling comparison site first to see where you may get the best deal!

Music Magpie - have cds/dvds you haven't been able to sell at carboots or online. Try your luck here. Is you do sell your albums/dvds be sure to go via quidco to get a few more pennies

etsy and folksy - If you enjoy making crafts why not have a go at selling them on etsy or folksy. They've been getting increasingly busier each year.

Collect Boots points while shopping online.

Don't forget to search for your online shop at nectar.com before you buy, and earn nectar points for buying online, including ebay.

Trying to find other ways to make money? Check out the Boost Your Income board. It is full of ideas, including survey companies and product testing.

Want to help someone else out? Sign up through their referral on the referral board, and leave yours, so someone else can do the same for you.

Keep reading for lots more ideas on how to make more money each month.

This month's challenge is to try and make £310 (or any amount of course!) lynnejk is assisting me and will create the challengers list and update it. She will also be answering any questions she can help with and here for general advice. Having been a challenger for a while, she knows her stuff Thank you lynnejk for your help.

Good luck everybody. Remember to post any questions or comments that you have, and let's go on encouraging each other throughout this month.

We can and we will do it. Who's in?
    Make £10 a day July 2017 £32.08.
    Pinecone vouchers earnt 2017 £9; Swagbucks 2017 £66 QMEE 2017 £2.16 Prolific Academic 2017 £5.72 Slidejoy 2017 £5.48 OnePulse 2017 £25.10
    Shop and Scan 2017 £10 ConsumerPulse 2017 £10
Page 9
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 16th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 20,904 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Just wanting to congratulate all you lovely people who are making money in all sorts of interesting ways. Well done

Kantankerus, I agree with you about the survey sites. Sometimes I answer so many questions that I think I've definitely been accepted to finish it, only to get screened-out after supplying them with so much free information. What makes me the most angry is when they ask for the very same preliminary info every single time, even when they already have it on their database from my profile. Totally unnecessary, it really gets me angry

I've stuck with YouGov too, mainly because I like the sort of surveys that they tend to do. I've closed my accounts with a lot of survey companies recently, as soon as I've plodded my way slowly to a payout and received my money. There are some others that I've been working towards minimum payout with for years, one needs a level of £25 and I can't seem to progress beyond £19
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-June: £1811.59 July: £141.74
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £1900.00/£3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : £32316. Balance: £24488
    . These figures are completely out of date, must get them organised.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 16th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 20,904 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hello everyone

Mum is fine. Surgery went well. I think she will be sorry to go home - she is loving the company on the ward. They don't keep people in long after surgery do they - home tomorrow.

On the money raising front - I haven't done anything ....but I've got £250 extra without even trying I got an email at work....25 years long service award, please come and collect your gift vouchers ......you've never seen anyone move so fast

I am going to use the vouchers towards buying Christmas presents.....so this is going in my Xmas 2017 challenge pot
    Originally posted by January2015

Good news about your Mum. Sending hugs all round.

What a brilliant result, £250 in vouchers. Sounds like a great place to work and you sound like a lovely loyal employee. I can't imagine staying 25 years at most of the places I've worked in the past
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £1900.00/£3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 16th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 17,118 Thanks
    FatVonD
    All in all, FatVonD, I don't think I've been a lot of help to you
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Thank you

Another question, please, if you don't mind... I think it is you that does the table top sales(?) I have managed to locate one near to home, I'm doing it next month and it will only be their second and I've never done one before. What are people normally selling and do they price it up or is it more an 'off the top of your head' pricing system like at a car boot sale?
    Make £5 a day in July £65.73/£155 (June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • January2015
    • By January2015 16th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,723 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    January2015
    Good news about your Mum. Sending hugs all round.

What a brilliant result, £250 in vouchers. Sounds like a great place to work and you sound like a lovely loyal employee. I can't imagine staying 25 years at most of the places I've worked in the past
    Same employers - several different roles in several different departments. I couldn't have stayed in one job that long. I was potentially up for redundancy just over a year ago but was redeployed. Great news for the finances but I do not like my current role....but it pays the bills. I was looking for a new job but figured I'd stick where I am (or move within the same company). Pension alone makes it worth sticking out.

Thank you everyone for your good wishes to my mum
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    Xmas 2017 £1 p/day challenge No. 20 - £420/£730
    Make £10 p/day Feb £74.31, Mar £664.37 Apr £40
    • sexylulubelle
    • By sexylulubelle 16th Mar 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 3,197 Thanks
    sexylulubelle
    Just a quick check in to say hi sounds like you all have been very productive this week
    I've been a busy bee today, after receiving a letter from our energy supplier to say our electricity will be going up by £100 p/a I''ve been on some comparison sites and by switching to a new supplier will save a whopping £213 a year so I've done just that... can't add the amount to my savings for march but i can squirrel away £23 a month to go in an emergency fund, very happy with this result. Oh and have finally got around to extracting the mini oven from the junk cupboard ready for selling.
    LOVE isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live WITHOUT
    Nectar points 6830 - £34.15
    £5 a day challenge MARCH £151.17/£155
    • Pennydreams3
    • By Pennydreams3 16th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    Pennydreams3
    £35 made cleaning today and I've done it! Pretty proud of my first month! £318.65/£310 will keep going anyway and hopefully will have a lucky month next month too!
    Sealed pot challenge 10 - 123 : )
    It all started with a penny and a pot..
    MFW 2017 #107 £934.50/£3000
    Remaining balance £157,719.60
    • Sugarplum634
    • By Sugarplum634 16th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 3,230 Thanks
    Sugarplum634
    Hiya
    Just a quick update and a can i count it Question.
    Won 2 months nowtv on snatch..someone else's parcel too! Going to gift it to my friend instead of a birthday pressie cos i really can't afford/don't want pay for tv. Can I count it?

Waiting on £10 from swags but got £5 yest and a £5 MOC from snatch for prezzybox so that's a nice chunk of the obligatory mothers day pressie and a 2p petrol gain.
    £17.03
    Make £x a day in 2017 so far £312.47 (May£0GC £14.87 paypal)

(2016 £800.97) (2015 £791.42/$312)
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 16th Mar 17, 10:28 PM
    • 4,668 Posts
    • 49,559 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening peoples

Just a quick check in to say hi sounds like you all have been very productive this week
    I've been a busy bee today, after receiving a letter from our energy supplier to say our electricity will be going up by £100 p/a I''ve been on some comparison sites and by switching to a new supplier will save a whopping £213 a year so I've done just that... can't add the amount to my savings for march but i can squirrel away £23 a month to go in an emergency fund, very happy with this result. Oh and have finally got around to extracting the mini oven from the junk cupboard ready for selling.
    Originally posted by sexylulubelle
    That's a fantastic saving - well done Hope you don't have to pay any 'get-out' fees to your original supplier. I think Aesop has said you can count the first month's savings in such circumstances - I'm sure she'll confirm when next about

£35 made cleaning today and I've done it! Pretty proud of my first month! £318.65/£310 will keep going anyway and hopefully will have a lucky month next month too!
    Originally posted by Pennydreams3
    Brilliant news from you as well - well done You can up your target for the month if you need the motivation

Hiya
    Just a quick update and a can i count it Question.
    Won 2 months nowtv on snatch..someone else's parcel too! Going to gift it to my friend instead of a birthday pressie cos i really can't afford/don't want pay for tv. Can I count it?

Waiting on £10 from swags but got £5 yest and a £5 MOC from snatch for prezzybox so that's a nice chunk of the obligatory mothers day pressie and a 2p petrol gain.
    £17.03
    Originally posted by Sugarplum634
    As you are going to use it to gift instead of buying a pressie I'm sure it'll be okay to count it

Just realised that I have made my reduced target this month So now I can go on my holibobs happy

Hope you all have an absolutely fandabadosy couple of weeks and make loadsa dosh whilst I'm away having to put up with sunshine and tapas (probably a couple or three glasses of the vino as well).

So be good alls of you - I'll try to pop in whilst away
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1283....JULY=96.14/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1042....JULY=83.63/200
    Bulk buy.......JULY=10.33
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=103....JULY=14/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=414.96
    OS WL= -1/8 ......CC =370......Savings = £8300
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 17th Mar 17, 2:34 AM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 20,904 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Congratulations on making your new target, Lynne

Just remembered that it's tomorrow that you're going away. Couldn't let you go without wishing you a brilliant time so I hope you might pop in here before you leave and see this. You really deserve a holiday what with your past eye problems, tech issues and helping and encouraging us lot

We'll try our best to be good little moneymakers in your absence.

Hope you all have an absolutely fandabadosy couple of weeks and make loadsa dosh whilst I'm away having to put up with sunshine and tapas (probably a couple or three glasses of the vino as well).
    Originally posted by lynnejk
    As for the sunshine, tapas and vino, who needs them? Only joking, now where's that green with envy emoji?

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 17th Mar 17, 3:03 AM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 20,904 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Thank you

Another question, please, if you don't mind... I think it is you that does the table top sales(?) I have managed to locate one near to home, I'm doing it next month and it will only be their second and I've never done one before. What are people normally selling and do they price it up or is it more an 'off the top of your head' pricing system like at a car boot sale?
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    Always happy to help if I can

Personally, I very rarely price anything up whether its a car boot or tabletop sale. Some people go to the trouble of writing labels for every single thing so it's just a matter of choice really. The only time I put prices on is if I've got boxes of items for people to rummage through, in which case I might put a sign on the box 'everything 50p each' or whatever price it is. Likewise with cheap paperback books if I'm doing a multi-buy offer, something like '40p each, any 3 for £1' type of thing.

If you are selling fairly expensive books that are obviously not just worth a few pennies each then it's a good idea to pricemark. You can always accept a lesser offer, nothing's set in stone.

One exception to pricemarking (I seem to have made a few already) is expensive stuff such as when I tried to sell my 'as new' breadmaker. I wanted to make it obvious that I wasn't selling it for loose change. If I do price stuff like that up and see people looking and then making to walk away I usually call after them and say I'm prepared to take a slightly lesser offer.

I'm prepared to be flexible on most prices as my aim is to clear the stuff not take most of it home again

As for your question about what people are normally selling, well I've no real answer to that. Could be anything at all but remember that you'll have much less room to spread your items out, unlike a car boot sale. Depends on the space allowed but you'll possibly just have the table and a bit of space on the floor. It's not usually possible to spread much out on the ground as it impedes movement in a confined space.

Another point is that you'll have to carry everything in to the venue from your car which isn't easy if you've had to park a fair distance from the door. You'll need a few trips back and forth to the car so don't take anything too bulky or heavy. Been there, done that. Nightmare getting everything in and set up. There is often only about 30 minutes between the doors opening for sellers and them letting the buyers in. But again, all sales are different.

I've got some plastic lidded storage boxes that I stash everything into, makes transferring between car and hall a lot easier. I tend to sell light, soft items such as sewing materials etc, other craft stuff, CDs and DVDs, books, jewellery, smallish bric a brac, small bits of tech, toiletries and perfumes (unwanted gifts). Some people set up a folding clothes rail and sell clothes but check with the organiser that there'll be room for you to set one up.

One word of caution. As it's a new venue it might not have an established clientele or even be well publicised and there may be very few buyers. Don't expect too much. I don't want to put a dampener on things for you but I've sold at 'new' venues in the past and at one I made the princely sum of £6 profit. I only made that much by selling to the adjacent seller. Your sale might be totally different though, with a mass of buyers all hungry for a local table top sale. I hope so
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 17-03-2017 at 3:07 AM.

• angelicious
    • By angelicious 17th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    angelicious
    Quick update again, another £216 from overtime. No progress on the decluttering/sales front but hoping to do a wee bit of decluttering this evening when I get home from work. It's a bank holiday here so am getting double time, it's totally miserable here as well so don't mind working.

Might spend some time this evening looking into changing banks, ISA and credit cards etc to see if I can bring a wee bit of money that way. Holiday, car and early retirement planning are great motivators
    Make £10 a month July '17 £143.00/1000 June '17 787/1000May'17 £1067.051000 April '17 £456/1500 Mar '17 £709.00/310, Jan '17 £104/310, Feb '17 £437.55/280
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND #200. £20/1000
    Emergency 3-6 month fund £1100/7200
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 17th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 17,118 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Always happy to help if I can

Personally, I very rarely price anything up whether its a car boot or tabletop sale. Some people go to the trouble of writing labels for every single thing so it's just a matter of choice really. The only time I put prices on is if I've got boxes of items for people to rummage through, in which case I might put a sign on the box 'everything 50p each' or whatever price it is. Likewise with cheap paperback books if I'm doing a multi-buy offer, something like '40p each, any 3 for £1' type of thing.

If you are selling fairly expensive books that are obviously not just worth a few pennies each then it's a good idea to pricemark. You can always accept a lesser offer, nothing's set in stone.

One exception to pricemarking (I seem to have made a few already) is expensive stuff such as when I tried to sell my 'as new' breadmaker. I wanted to make it obvious that I wasn't selling it for loose change. If I do price stuff like that up and see people looking and then making to walk away I usually call after them and say I'm prepared to take a slightly lesser offer.

I'm prepared to be flexible on most prices as my aim is to clear the stuff not take most of it home again

As for your question about what people are normally selling, well I've no real answer to that. Could be anything at all but remember that you'll have much less room to spread your items out, unlike a car boot sale. Depends on the space allowed but you'll possibly just have the table and a bit of space on the floor. It's not usually possible to spread much out on the ground as it impedes movement in a confined space.

Another point is that you'll have to carry everything in to the venue from your car which isn't easy if you've had to park a fair distance from the door. You'll need a few trips back and forth to the car so don't take anything too bulky or heavy. Been there, done that. Nightmare getting everything in and set up. There is often only about 30 minutes between the doors opening for sellers and them letting the buyers in. But again, all sales are different.

I've got some plastic lidded storage boxes that I stash everything into, makes transferring between car and hall a lot easier. I tend to sell light, soft items such as sewing materials etc, other craft stuff, CDs and DVDs, books, jewellery, smallish bric a brac, small bits of tech, toiletries and perfumes (unwanted gifts). Some people set up a folding clothes rail and sell clothes but check with the organiser that there'll be room for you to set one up.

One word of caution. As it's a new venue it might not have an established clientele or even be well publicised and there may be very few buyers. Don't expect too much. I don't want to put a dampener on things for you but I've sold at 'new' venues in the past and at one I made the princely sum of £6 profit. I only made that much by selling to the adjacent seller. Your sale might be totally different though, with a mass of buyers all hungry for a local table top sale. I hope so
    Thank you for all that

I was thinking maybe new stuff on the table and second hand on the floor. I have some big plastic boxes one of which I thought I might put toys in (I've over invested for a soft play/playgroup project ) and then I thought I might get some of the shallow Apple boxes from the supermarket for the table stuff.

At this one they will hire you a rail for £1 but I don't have many hanging things to sell so I bought I'd just take some parcel tape and stick them to the edge of the table or a windowsill or summat

I suppose if I was being sensible I should have gone to check out last months one to see how busy it is but it's only £5 and I guess it'll be a learning experience if nothing else
    Make £5 a day in July £65.73/£155 (June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • shellyosborne
    • By shellyosborne 17th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,369 Thanks
    shellyosborne
    Another £8.69 profit on ebay and a £20 voucher for good performance in work which was nice

So I am up to £137.73 now not bad for my first month back in a while.
    Total Debt £22,799.31 (23/02/2016) £16,880.(paid 25.96%)
    Earn £10 a day 2015 - £878.91 2016 - £3932.18
    March 2017 - £181.06/£310
    April £808.29/£800
    May £455.06/£310
    June £241.83/£300
    • Sparkles87
    • By Sparkles87 17th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    Sparkles87
    Hello, I'm watching this month if that's OK then I'll join you in April, really need to get back on board with making money!
    • January2015
    • By January2015 17th Mar 17, 11:55 PM
    • 1,723 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    January2015
    Another £6.73 on eBay for me today

Now up to £492.85 which is great.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    Xmas 2017 £1 p/day challenge No. 20 - £420/£730
    Make £10 p/day Feb £74.31, Mar £664.37 Apr £40
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 18th Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 20,904 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Congratulations to all you people making money.

Welcome, Sparkles. Look forward to you joining us next month

Aesop, are you OK? Not heard from you for a while

Finally received my £50 cheque from Populus which is now awaiting clearing in my bank. Will add to my total when it has. Otherwise, nothing else to report

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 18th Mar 17, 11:07 AM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 20,904 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Another £6.73 on eBay for me today

Now up to £492.85 which is great.
    Originally posted by January2015

Brilliant running total, you're a star

• Aesop
    • By Aesop 18th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    • 22,877 Posts
    • 149,830 Thanks
    Aesop
    Quick question please - are we allowed to include matched betting winnings??
    Originally posted by sunshine81
    yes you can
    Pinecone vouchers earnt 2017 £9; Swagbucks 2017 £66 QMEE 2017 £2.16 Prolific Academic 2017 £5.72 Slidejoy 2017 £5.48 OnePulse 2017 £25.10
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 18th Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    • 22,877 Posts
    • 149,830 Thanks
    Aesop
    been sick with this cold. I have been putting DS to bed and going to bed myself. unheard of.

also somehow un subscribed from notifications. I haven't checked emails amd stuff. I did check and couldn't see any notifications from this thread.
    • sunshine81
    • By sunshine81 18th Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 4,329 Thanks
    sunshine81
    Last total (13/03/17) £144.93
    EBay sale £11.43
    New total £156.36
    PAD challenge starting over 2 March 2017!
    Barclaycard: 2581.37/5005.28 (51.57%) Tesco CC: 5396.86/5396.86 (100%) Next: 87.98/670.57 (13.12%) Santander CC 0/1515 (0%) Virgin Money 0/4400 (0%)

PAYDBX2017: £3463.20/£11072.71 (31.28%)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,343Posts Today

8,312Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin