Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 28th Feb 17, 6:13 PM
    • 206Posts
    • 1,551Thanks
    sstevo19
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - March 2017
    • 28th Feb 17, 6:13 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - March 2017 28th Feb 17 at 6:13 PM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to bingbon for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for March and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    Last edited by sstevo19; 28-02-2017 at 6:16 PM.
Page 8
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 13th Mar 17, 7:56 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Here's my PP list for the month:

The Body Shop Vanilla Chai Body Gel-lotion 250ml
    Avon Planet Spa Thai Lotus Flower Bath Elixir 125ml
    Nivea Nourishing Hand Care 75ml
    Aquafresh Complete Care Mouthwash 500ml
    Avon Naturals Sugar Plum Spritz 100ml
    Originally posted by sstevo19
    Here's my updated PP list
    • pirateyqueen
    • By pirateyqueen 13th Mar 17, 10:05 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 3,023 Thanks
    pirateyqueen
    1 UU, a mini bath bomb
    No more goo hoarding!

2017 UU: 14 IN: 2 TA: 0 Total: 66/78 2016 UU: 53 IN: 17 TA: 0 Total: 36/72
    2015 UU: 74 IN: 43 TA: 3 Total: 32/64
    2014 UU: 114 IN: 67 TA: 7 Total: 38/92
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 13th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 41,224 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I've just been offered something different - a Yakult type drink to improve my skin. Terrible reviews though,
    Vitabiotics Perfectil Platinum Collagen Skin.
    Don't think I'll bother. My skin isn't too bad for an ageing bird.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 13th Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    • 3,939 Posts
    • 10,205 Thanks
    Hermia
    I've just been offered something different - a Yakult type drink to improve my skin. Terrible reviews though,
    Vitabiotics Perfectil Platinum Collagen Skin.
    Don't think I'll bother. My skin isn't too bad for an ageing bird.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Me neither. According to the reviews it is fishy and comes in unsealed bottles - lovely! I suspect this is a product that may quietly cease production at some point.

I once made the mistake of reviewing some diet tea. I think most of the Vine reviews were along the lines of "I don't know if I have lost weight as I haven't been able to get off the toilet long enough to weigh myself"!
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 14th Mar 17, 1:31 AM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 41,224 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Me neither. According to the reviews it is fishy and comes in unsealed bottles - lovely! I suspect this is a product that may quietly cease production at some point.

I once made the mistake of reviewing some diet tea. I think most of the Vine reviews were along the lines of "I don't know if I have lost weight as I haven't been able to get off the toilet long enough to weigh myself"!
    Originally posted by Hermia
    I had one last year that did that - called 'Klenzo'. I put in the review that the name should have warned me and the sellers got a bit uppity about that, they said that wasn't what the name implied. Really?!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 14th Mar 17, 4:16 AM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 33,489 Thanks
    VALM
    I have a uu

Aromatherapy Associates Revive Evening Bath Oil 7.5ml - I am getting close to the end of my large stash of these oils now and am rationing them a bit, this one was one of my favourite ones.

Hermia - I find a lot of mask are a complete waste of time, I have a few which I really rate and am going to stick with those in the future.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    I think the only mask that I really rate is Decleor Herbal mask. Haven't used it in a long time though as it's expensive. Did notice instant brightening with it.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 14th Mar 17, 7:20 AM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 33,489 Thanks
    VALM
    More UUs
    12 Revlon Color Silk Treatment This came with the hair dye kit. Really don't like the smell of this. The colour is a little too dark too. Hey ho.

13 Royal Jelly Body Creme 50ml (I think) This is nice. WNBA. Emma received this as a Christmas gift in a set but never used it. Was adopted by me when she left for Uni. Most of the items I have re-gifted. I have the shower gel on the go at the mo and I then think this is the last of this set.

14 Toni and Guy hair mousse Nice enough. Have repaced it with V05.

My Australian Body Care Tea Tree Lotion is going to run out tomorrow. I have ordered a new one from a QVSell member. Can't live without this.

Will need to forage in stash later for a body lotion. I use the ABC one on dry areas and then another one everywhere else.

I also TA a lipgloss this morning. Another of the NARS ones. I think this was called Raspberry. Got one application out of it but then when I dipped the wand back in nothing came out. Done and dusted. Have pulled out my NARS Rakugian pencil instead. Love this although it is getting stumpy,

I returned the Bare Minerals kit yesterday. I don't feel right doing this knowing that I used it but as it's encouraged by them (and is allowed due to arms length trading, I believe) and I just would not have reached for any of the products it's best for me that it's returned.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 14th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 29,316 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have a uu

Burts Bees Honey & Grapeseed Hand Cream - I quite like this but don't love it and don't find it particularly moisturising so WNBA.

I also have a TA, I have been working through the eyeshadows that I was giving a last chance to and I have got rid of a Clarins Quad, the colours look lovely and the gold compact looked nice but I've never liked using them and always regretted buying it, I have removed one mid toned satin brown to use as that is the only one I like.

Also sold 4 items on ebay. Haven't got much for 3 of them but better than opening them, using once and then getting rid.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 14th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 29,316 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have another uu

Vaseline Aloe Fresh Body Lotion 400ml - I feel like this bottle has been in my life forever, it is a very thin lotion so a little bit goes a long way, lovely scent and absorbs quickly though, WBA.
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 14th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    WJN222
    morning all,

couple more UU for me

UU 2x samples - nothing special
    UU: acne toner - WDBA and have replaced with one from my stash
    UU: Elelemis dynamic resurfacing facial wash - really liked this, WMBA dependent on what offers are on
    walk 2017 miles in 2017 - 114 of 2017
    SW journey - loose 28lbs - 6.5lb of 28
    Declutter 2017 - 72 of 2017
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 14th Mar 17, 10:22 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    WJN222
    forgot to add - 2 x TA, one lippy and one highlighter pencil - both taken away with me at the weekend, used them and remembered why I didn't use them, so out they popped.
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 14th Mar 17, 6:12 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    I have one small UU:

Lush Flowers Barrow bath melt - I really liked this. Nice florals herbalg smell and made the water quite milky and moisturising.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 14th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 3,939 Posts
    • 10,205 Thanks
    Hermia
    22) UU Dove Anti-Perspirant - WBA as only one I have found that works and doesn't give me a rash.

23) UU Burberry Body fragrance - WNBA. I ended up using it as an air freshener. When I first bought this I found it warm and sexy and half-way through the bottle I found it overwhelming and tacky! I am not sure if my nose changed or the scent!
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 15th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    WJN222
    morning all
    UU: Sample EL primer - not bad, WMBA
    • VALM
    • By VALM 15th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 33,489 Thanks
    VALM
    2 more UUS and a disaster
    15 200ml Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Left behind by Emma so finished by me. I was mixing this with my Lush Cup of Coffee mask and it was lovely. May do this again when I use another C&P (I have another in stash). At the moment though need to finish a Soap & Glory Peaches & Clean that I have on the go.

16 Boots Acetone nail polish remover. Was repainting my nails this morning (OPI Having a Big Head Day) and managed to get the lacquer on my white dressing gown. Chucked it in the wash with some Shout on it but it did not come out so chucked the last of this bottle onto it in the hope that it has come out. Will repurchase as it's a staple and only £1 a bottle.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 15th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU from last night:

Paula's Choice Resist Weightless Advanced Repairing Toner sample WMB as full size. A bit undecided on this. Hm..

And two INs from my shopping trip today:
    Simple KTS Refreshing Facial Gel Wash
    Superdrug Dragonfruit and Vanilla shower gel

The cleanser is a backup as I'm nearing the end of my only bottle of this. And I like the shower gel and it was only 49p today.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 15th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 9,247 Thanks
    asajj
    Have been busy at work and very tired mostly , not had chance to catch up with thread. I have UU'ed a V05 shampoo and a satchet Sanctuary moisturising hair mask. Shampoo is replaced by Head and Shoulders. I have been reading about dandruff shampoos and this one gets the best reviews and the cheapest. It made a huge difference to my hair from day one.

I like Sanctuary hair mask but I can't stand Sanctuary products' smell. It feels very unnatural and strong to me. WNBA.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Mar 17, 7:09 AM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 29,316 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have a uu

Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic 200ml
    - I like the scent of this but it doesn't seem to really do anything. I have another full size bottle in the stash and half a bottle of rosewater and that is it for toner.

I don't remember if I declared my ins the other day, anyway here they are

2 x Desert Essence Coconut Soft Curls Cream - gorgeous stuff, these two and the one I have on the go should keep me going into next year I hope.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Mar 17, 7:12 AM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 29,316 Thanks
    dolly84

My PP list:

Avon Chocolate Orange Bubble Bath 1L
    Charles Worthington Hair Mask
    Avon Little Red Dress EDP 15ml
    Estee Lauder Beautiful EDP 15ml
    Bare Minerals Brightening Face Primer
    Vaseline Aloe Body Lotion 400ml
    St Ives Apricot Face Scrub
    Liz Earle IBST
    Decleor Essential Cleanser 1L
    Elemis PCMC 30ml
    Originally posted by dolly84
    My updated list.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 16th Mar 17, 8:30 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One TA:

Nivea Nourishing Hand Care 75ml WNBA. I can't use this anymore. It's giving me a bad reaction. I think it's something in Nivea that sets my skin off. I hate being wasteful but I don't know anyone who would use it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,417Posts Today

8,651Users online

Martin's Twitter