Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 28th Feb 17, 7:13 PM
    • 227Posts
    • 1,693Thanks
    sstevo19
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - March 2017
    • 28th Feb 17, 7:13 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - March 2017 28th Feb 17 at 7:13 PM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to bingbon for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for March and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    Last edited by sstevo19; 28-02-2017 at 7:16 PM.
Page 10
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 18th Mar 17, 1:03 AM
    • 3,965 Posts
    • 10,264 Thanks
    Hermia
    Hi Asset,

Hermia has give you some really good advice there.

All I can really add is again, try not to beat yourself up over things, what's done is done! Have you had time to reflect on why you overbought? That could be useful in preventing that behaviour coming back. I know I hoard a bit if I don't keep things in check, I do with skincare. It comes from a fear of not having money and not looking good enough, as well as a comfort blanket if feeling bad. Buying nice things to try to feel nicer when I don't feel nice!
    Originally posted by Houseplant26
    I think working out why you overbuy is so important. If you don't work that out you are in danger of just getting in the same situation all over again. I know I start shopping when I am unhappy with my life. I also stock up on things as a sort of security blanket and then feel bogged down with the amount of stuff I have! I am still working out my motivations. My mum was the same and had cupboards and cupboards of toiletries so there is a link there.

Trying to sell stuff will definitely make you feel a bit less regretful. For the things you can't sell I recommend trying to find a person or an organisation who would really like them. Knowing you are really helping someone can alleviate some of the regret.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 18th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 29,462 Thanks
    dolly84
    assett - you've had some great advice already and I wholeheartedly agree with Hermia about working out why you overbuy, that is key. I am in a similar situation myself and have tons of stuff, I have sold a bit but only if I won't actually use it and the rest I am just working through, which means now I don't need to spend much on products.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 18th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 33,810 Thanks
    VALM
    Holiday INs
    Been shopping today and picked up the following:-

First had to collect my Australian Body Care lotion from the Post Office. Did cut open a tube of Savlon this morning so wil UU that first.

Went into Boots and bought the No7 wipes on 3for2. Did intend to use AP but couldn't due to the promotion. Didn't get GWP either as it applies to make up and brushes.

Also bought a tube of Kind Natured conditioner. My Creightons one is feeling squishy. I can't buy the Kind Natured range from Boots local to work so picking it up now to try.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 18th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 24,527 Thanks
    maddiemay
    This week's UU
    Slow, but sure

30ml Rosehip Plus Rosehip Oil 5/24
    50ml Alpha-H Protection Plus spf 50+ 6/25

I am currently trying all creams/balms/potions to find something soothing and non stinging for my Rudolph nose and upper lip, I seem to have one of those horrid colds with a sting in the tail, I thought I was over the runny nose and sneezy part of it, but back with a vengeance today
    • asset2004
    • By asset2004 18th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 17,614 Thanks
    asset2004
    Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas TBH I think I buy because it's on special offer or reduced. Only I don't buy one item of it though!
    I tried to tidy out my bedroom before Christmas and was horrified at the amount of skin creams, toiletries etc that I had and resolved not to buy anything again.
    I did say to my family that I wasn't buying any toiletries or clothes this year and although I've bought some items in the CS I have been ruthless and did a one in one out system! I haven't bought any toiletries either too.
    I have been part of this thread since it began, I lurked for a while but then joined and I have seriously reined in my purchases.
    I think it goes back to my mum hoarding and stock piling toiletries and food, probably because we were so poor when we were growing up.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 18th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One sample UU tonight :

Caudalie Purifying Mask sample WPNB. The smell is terrible, and I think my skin doesn't need a purifying mask too often. It was nice to try this though.

I've been thinking and I need to work on using up some skincare items. I'm going to start focusing on my cleansers and I'm going to start introducing one of them into my routine soon.
    Last edited by sstevo19; 18-03-2017 at 9:37 PM.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 19th Mar 17, 5:24 AM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 33,810 Thanks
    VALM
    Slow, but sure

30ml Rosehip Plus Rosehip Oil 5/24
    50ml Alpha-H Protection Plus spf 50+ 6/25

I am currently trying all creams/balms/potions to find something soothing and non stinging for my Rudolph nose and upper lip, I seem to have one of those horrid colds with a sting in the tail, I thought I was over the runny nose and sneezy part of it, but back with a vengeance today
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    I think this particular virus that is doing the rounds is particularly long lasting. My nose will clear up then become runny all over again and it's been about 3 weeks since I was off work with it.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 19th Mar 17, 5:29 AM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 33,810 Thanks
    VALM
    Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas TBH I think I buy because it's on special offer or reduced. Only I don't buy one item of it though!
    I tried to tidy out my bedroom before Christmas and was horrified at the amount of skin creams, toiletries etc that I had and resolved not to buy anything again.
    I did say to my family that I wasn't buying any toiletries or clothes this year and although I've bought some items in the CS I have been ruthless and did a one in one out system! I haven't bought any toiletries either too.
    I have been part of this thread since it began, I lurked for a while but then joined and I have seriously reined in my purchases.
    I think it goes back to my mum hoarding and stock piling toiletries and food, probably because we were so poor when we were growing up.
    Originally posted by asset2004
    I used to buy for that purpose too or if I thought something was limited edition too. Once you retrain yourself though you realise that these special offers come around very often. Now, if I don't think I'll use the item immenently I don't bother buying.

The problem still with me is the GWP promotions. I like the idea of getting something for free.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 19th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 33,810 Thanks
    VALM
    Did get caught up in GWP after all yesterday. Emma needed leave in conditioner from Birchbox. Offer of free gift with £30 spend and free delivery with £35 spend. Ordered 2 bottles as I remember liking this product too. Let's hope this gets it out of my system!
    Last edited by VALM; 19-03-2017 at 10:45 AM.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • catherine/kate
    • By catherine/kate 19th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    catherine/kate
    UU: L'occitane pivone handcream 10ml - lovely
    TA: Sainsburys sun cream - this had gone lumpy and gritty over winter, yuck
    UU: Palmers Cocoa Butter lip balm, HG
    UU: Original Source Coconut & Shea Butter shower gel - used to be HG but I have gone off it.

IN: MUA bronzer - I know, another bronzer . . . Dolly84 recommended blusher used as a bronzer. I'm going to give that a try, I think I tend to be a bit heavy handed with the blusher which is why I haven't been able to make it work in the past.

I agree with you all that identifying the reason for buying is really key. I also found it helpful to split my stash by function (moisturiser, shower gel, etc) so that when I did get low on one type of item, I could start watching out for offers, rather than hunting through cupboards, finding I had no body scrub, and panic buying everything on offer just in case I didn't have any of that either. I did this in 2012 and still have 2 years worth of body butter!
    • VALM
    • By VALM 19th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 33,810 Thanks
    VALM
    1 UU and TA
    21 50ml Soap and Glory Sugar Crush body butter Gorgeous fragrance. WDBA. Have pulled out another 50ml tub.

We fly to Lanzarote next Sunday so I've packed my toiletries today and will use spare items this week. I'm thinking of eking my mascara out to the end of the week in case I treat myself to a new one at the airport.

Also repaintiing my nails. Was going to use Sephora by OPI Break a Leg Warmer mini but very little product was coming out so TA. Using OPI Live and Let Die instead.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 19th Mar 17, 8:01 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Hi all!

It was my birthday today so I have some nice toiletries related ins.

My sister donated to me 4 nail varnishes she isn't using. One is a pale pink OPI one others are 3 different base and top coats. I didn't really need them as I don't paint my nails very often at all but I didn't have many top or base coats so I didn't want them to go to waste.

Then birthday present ins:
    Molton Brown Rose shower gel
    Lush ups a daisy bath bomb
    Lush baa bar bubble bar
    Lush ladybird bubble bar
    Lush rose bombshell bubble bar
    Pink flamingo bubble bar

Really please with above will keep me going for a bit! I'm going to try to be good and use the last little bit of lush shower jelly and shower gel I have on go first, as then will be only one other left in stash which is a heavily perfumed one from a set I can't use very often.

Feeling quite low today as full of what I assume is a cold, with crushing fatigue. Been a busy time at work as recently got a new job (same place, promotion) and I'm swamped until we fill new roles below it, including replacing me. Really, really need a holiday! I'll be earning slightly more (still not a lot) and I'm trying to save up for one.

I need to restart my old diary on here. This months been an awful one for spending (loads of birthdays, really needed trainers and went to London) and I'm overdrawn but I get paid tomorrow.
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 19th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Catherine/Kate I can relate to what you said! I have my stashes by category and it does help. I try to be strategic now with what I buy and always know if I need something vs if I just want it. I find really researching products before buying slows me down a lot too and means I rarely regret purchases.

However, I too fall into GWP traps as I LOVE a freebie. As I don't earn a lot I really saw freebies as a way to save money and slightly overwhelm myself with GWPs and samples.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 19th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Happy birthday Houseplant26

Two UUs:

Lush Ups-A-Daisy bath bomb WMBA. This was a nice big bath bomb. Lovely.

Bioderma Atoderm Gel Moussant sample WNB. Didn't wow me. Was okay as a shower gel.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 19th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 9,517 Thanks
    asajj
    Hi All

Quick update from me... no more UU still languishing on 2 so far this month.

Just had 2 Ins
    Corysoldol Mouth wash - part of my gum has gone red and inflamed this stuff is a bit of a kill or cure or a trip to the doctor/dentist may be required.

Originally posted by Massa1982
    I have some problems with one of my teeth, gum gets inflamed. Interdental brushes are useful to clean between teeth therefore help the gum.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 19th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 33,810 Thanks
    VALM
    Hi all!

It was my birthday today so I have some nice toiletries related ins.

My sister donated to me 4 nail varnishes she isn't using. One is a pale pink OPI one others are 3 different base and top coats. I didn't really need them as I don't paint my nails very often at all but I didn't have many top or base coats so I didn't want them to go to waste.

Then birthday present ins:
    Molton Brown Rose shower gel
    Lush ups a daisy bath bomb
    Lush baa bar bubble bar
    Lush ladybird bubble bar
    Lush rose bombshell bubble bar
    Pink flamingo bubble bar

Really please with above will keep me going for a bit! I'm going to try to be good and use the last little bit of lush shower jelly and shower gel I have on go first, as then will be only one other left in stash which is a heavily perfumed one from a set I can't use very often.

Feeling quite low today as full of what I assume is a cold, with crushing fatigue. Been a busy time at work as recently got a new job (same place, promotion) and I'm swamped until we fill new roles below it, including replacing me. Really, really need a holiday! I'll be earning slightly more (still not a lot) and I'm trying to save up for one.

I need to restart my old diary on here. This months been an awful one for spending (loads of birthdays, really needed trainers and went to London) and I'm overdrawn but I get paid tomorrow.
    Originally posted by Houseplant26
    Happy birthday Houseplant xx

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • asajj
    • By asajj 19th Mar 17, 9:42 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 9,517 Thanks
    asajj
    Still hanging on here but no news to report.
    Trying to declutter the house but it honestly looks like a bomb has hit it! So much stuff just pulled out and although I've made attempts to tidy up and through some stuff out I am horrified at just how much clutter, clothes and toiletries I have. I am quite distressed thinking about how much money has been spent over the years on stuff I'll never use.
    TBH I feel a shocked at the level and a bit drained with the thought of a never ending supply of clothes, toiletries etc etc that I can not see an end to!!
    I'm not quite sure where to start!
    I found a plastic storage box full of the Mr Shoes Botantics trio set of body butter, body scrub and bath salts, when I say full I mean I have 7 sets! The boxes have been battered so I can't pass off as presents in the box either although I know they've not been used. That's just the tip of the iceberg though.
    Any ideas?
    TIA
    Originally posted by asset2004
    Hi Asset, you are given some good advice and I can also understand what you are feeling but it is what it is. Do NOT try to do it all at once, choose clothes or toiletries or something else to sort out first or maybe as Hermia suggested, give yourself a target number every day/every week.
    Think it as a project and all projects have milestones!
    During my decluttering journey, I have sold loads of stuff. So I got some money back of course not all. However, it still felt good.
    If you don't feel comfortable selling online, perhaps some family members/friends are able to help? I also had a friend selling some items for me in the past, I paid him for a commission for his time. He was broke and if it wasn't for him, they wouldn't be sold anyway.

I also gave loads to charity shops. Even today, I usually have a charity bag on the go. When it is full, I will take it to them.

If packaging is ruined, you can mix and match what you have to create gift sets for people.

Honestly it feels so much better when your house is less cluttered. Just give yourself time and the chance.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

• asajj
    • By asajj 19th Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 9,517 Thanks
    asajj
    Happy birthday, Houseplant, hope it was a good one.
    I uu'ed a Herbal Essences dry shampoo. I have others to UU as well. When I first started using this brand over a year ago, I liked it better than Batista as my hair was really dry back then and Batista made it worse.
    Recently, I'm not sure about HE. It doesn't really feel effective. I don't know if they changed the product or my hair has changed since I don't get it coloured anymore.

I have bought Philip Kingsley Elasticizer, so that's one in.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

• mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 20th Mar 17, 1:14 AM
    • 4,492 Posts
    • 42,625 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Happy Birthday Houseplant. I hope work settles for you.
    I have two NBIs of a shampoo and conditioner from a company called Shea Moisture.
    They appear to be a company specialising in Afro Caribbean hair and skin products that are spreading their net wider. Not cheap stuff anyway. These will be tried out very shortly.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 20th Mar 17, 9:05 AM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 29,462 Thanks
    dolly84
    Happy Birthday Houseplant.

I have a uu

John Frieda Frizz Ease Dream Curls Daily Styling Spray 200ml - WDNBA, I've tried a few JF Frizz Ease products and they actually make my hair frizzy, plus this didn't lightly mist all over my hair like I wanted it squirted.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,937Posts Today

5,660Users online

Martin's Twitter