Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bigjhon
    • By bigjhon 28th Feb 17, 1:49 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bigjhon
    Purple Bricks (Hull)
    • 28th Feb 17, 1:49 PM
    Purple Bricks (Hull) 28th Feb 17 at 1:49 PM
    Hello, I am looking to put my house up for sale. Any thoughts on using Purple Bricks, they are a hell of a lot cheaper than most of the agents in Hull.

Kind regards
Page 2
    • Sausage11
    • By Sausage11 12th Mar 17, 10:10 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    Sausage11
    In my experience with PB, I found their "pre sale" set up was fine. Their website is not that hard to use, you can just write your own no-BS advert (I see this as an advantage to be honest), get a floor plan - and the house is on all main property search websites.

For me, the main issue was AFTER you had an offer and the real process of buying/selling a house starts. All of their post-sale support is conducted via a call centre and their [not so great] automated platform. Basically they do ZERO proactive folllow up or chasing of any other EAs/Sols in the chain at all - and if you call them to ask them to do something specifically, you will be connected to a random person who will - if you are lucky - put in a lacklustre call to someone or limply ask the status of something. Definitely not on the level of "chasing" or actively trying to move things along. And it is surprising sometimes how much follow up a good EA does to keep things ticking along. Even on seemingly straightforward transactions

Other EAs genuinely hate working in chains that have PBs somewhere in them as PB do virtually nothing to pick up any of the work needed to keep things moving slowly, leaving all the "real" EAs to do everything.

After one attempt at selling my flat via PB failed after 3 months (which was a situation any decent EA would never have allowed to go on for so long) we ditched them and went with a regular high street EA, who I have to say were fantastic and really proved to me the value of paying more for the benefit of dealing with an actual person once the conveyancing gets underway.
    Originally posted by Lemonsqueezer78
    I think this is the key concern I would have with an online agent. You may think that your house will "sell" easily and quickly in the form of attracting an acceptable offer. However, the house hasn't actually sold until you've moved through then entire process, and an online estate agent may not be anything like as effective at moving this process along as a local agent would.

With a local agent you tend to get a small office where people deal with a team rather than a faceless call centre. That's not to say I'd never use an online agent, just that I'd be very wary on this point. I'd therefore suggest using online agent fees to negotiate down the local agents to something more acceptable.

Oh yes. And for an online agent, they get paid whether or not your house sells. So the incentive for them to complete the sale is not there in the same way as for a traditional agent. If your house doesn't sell because an online agent doesn't do the work required once the offer has been accepted - tough. They get paid either way.
    • kirkofski
    • By kirkofski 12th Mar 17, 10:17 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    kirkofski
    Here's my experience of Purplebricks from a buyers point of view.

I have been looking for a property for investment and saw a possible leasehold property that PB were advertising so i rang them for the lease details.
    They said i would need to speak to their local rep. Upon ringing him he said the way to find these answers is to go onto their website listing and click on 'ask the seller a question'
    I did this but to ask a question i had to register on the website which i did.
    After registering and clicking on the option it then proceeded to tell me to ask a question i would need to arrange a viewing.

At this stage i closed it down and i have not shown any interest in any properties marketed with PB since
    Originally posted by 3card

We had a similar experience. We wanted to view a house being sold by Yopa, I rang them and was told I needed to arrange the viewing online. We went online only to find we had to create an account, in the end we just gave up and called a local agent about another house which we viewed and then bought.

During the buying process the local agent did day that often these online companies are responsible for slowing down the entire chain, all in all we wouldn't use an online agent.
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 12th Mar 17, 12:40 PM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    You do pretty much need to write you own property description (with Emoov at least) but it's not rocket surgery. Purple Bricks seem the most commonly used online agent in my village, and I'd say they seem to shift things at least as well as the other high street agents.
    Originally posted by kinger101
    Grin................
    Je suis sabot...
    • HB58
    • By HB58 14th Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    HB58
    We found a buyer within 2 weeks of going on the market with PB.

The local agent was available in the evenings and at weekends.

We had the option to take our own photos or get PB to do them.

We could also write our own ad or change what PB had said.

We opted to do our own viewings but could have paid more for PB to do them.

We asked PB to negotiate the price with our buyers, could have done it ourselves if we had wanted to.

There is little/no after sales support. We were lucky that we didn't need it (thus far, touch wood!).

Haven't actually exchanged yet - but that is because the vendors of 'our' new place had not found anything to buy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

2,922Users online

Martin's Twitter