Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 28th Feb 17, 1:16 PM
    • 7,179Posts
    • 12,037Thanks
    dori2o
    0 WOW
    Eastern Europe holidays
    • 28th Feb 17, 1:16 PM
    0 WOW
    Eastern Europe holidays 28th Feb 17 at 1:16 PM
    Given our massive change in circumstances since last July Mrs D and I have been contemplating a foreign holiday next year.

Neither one of us are into sitting on a beach all day and the overcrowded over-expensive popular destinations of Spain etc dont float my boat.

A few people we once knew have been to the Eastern European countries and seem to have enjoyed it, and from a quick browse online some of these countries look beautiful, and in terms of economy its cheaper for us to fly and have 7 nights in Krakow in a 4 star hotel, than 7 nights in Devon in a travelodge/holiday inn/premier inn.

Does anyone have any experience/recomendations for holidays in these eastern europe/former soviet block countries
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
Page 2
    • loadsacash
    • By loadsacash 18th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    loadsacash
    We travelled to Poland in July last year.

Winters in Poland are very cold - my sister went to Krakow in April last year and it was very cold.
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
    • Chyna-s
    • By Chyna-s 18th Mar 17, 9:12 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 17,938 Thanks
    Chyna-s
    Just back from a fabulous 4 days in Budapest. Fabulous city, the people are so friendly and nice, wonderful history, gorgeous architecture and it is so easy to walk around. Everything is within 20 minutes.

Did Krakow last year in May (weather great), Prague the year before in October (weather good) (and going to Prague again next month with the girlies) and can pretty much say the same from above for these 2 cities. Highly recommend all. Next on the list is Bucharest.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 19th Mar 17, 12:57 AM
    • 5,105 Posts
    • 4,265 Thanks
    mgdavid
    The distance from the train or tram to the departure hall is a long way though, easily a few hundred metres. It took me about 45 minutes last time I was there (it might be a bit different depending on which terminal). I'd rather, for instance, drive the extra 40 minutes to Liverpool airport where it's a much shorter distance to get to departures, than have a shorter drive to the airport and end up losing the first two days of my holiday recovering from getting through the airport.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Eh? Is your mobility hindered in some way?
    45 minutes is around 4kms at normal walking pace. The 3 terminals and the station are all within 700 metres max of each other, and there are travelators to save you walking.
    A salary slave no more.....
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 19th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Just back from a fabulous 4 days in Budapest. Fabulous city, the people are so friendly and nice, wonderful history, gorgeous architecture and it is so easy to walk around. Everything is within 20 minutes.

Did Krakow last year in May (weather great), Prague the year before in October (weather good) (and going to Prague again next month with the girlies) and can pretty much say the same from above for these 2 cities. Highly recommend all. Next on the list is Bucharest.
    Originally posted by Chyna-s
    I was in Budapest a couple of weekends ago. I thought it was OK, but I preferred Prague and Krakow as they are smaller and easier to get around.
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 19th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    wazza99
    Another vote for Slovakia, Bratislava, cheap flights by Ryanair, good rail links to Vienna and Budapest and Czech republic.
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 19th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    Fen1
    I've travelled with reduced mobility and borrowed wheelchairs in museums galleries etc. One of the easiest places to visit was Copenhagen. The city is completely​ flat, and access to most places is good, internally and externally.
    I did not travel on public transport in a wheelchair ( could walk a bit, if slowly ), but would be very surprised if the main rail stops and trains were not accessible.

From experience, I would say that Northern European cities are better at accessibility and decent pavements with access ramps than Mediterranean countries. You get lovely promenades along the beaches and parks, but in town it can get a bit hairy.

I always emailed specific museums, historic houses, gardens etc, to find out exactly what facilities they had. I could also then forewarn them of my visit so they could have chairs or assistants ready to help.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 19th Mar 17, 12:32 PM
    • 16,107 Posts
    • 27,982 Thanks
    Ames
    Eh? Is your mobility hindered in some way?
    45 minutes is around 4kms at normal walking pace. The 3 terminals and the station are all within 700 metres max of each other, and there are travelators to save you walking.
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    Yes, and so is the OPs, which is why I've been giving advice about acccessibility.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 19th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 5,105 Posts
    • 4,265 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Yes, and so is the OPs, which is why I've been giving advice about acccessibility.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Apologies Ames but I'm not psychic - you hadn't mentioned it. The OP had, which is why I checked and mentioned the travelators.
    A salary slave no more.....
    • Ames
    • By Ames 20th Mar 17, 12:06 AM
    • 16,107 Posts
    • 27,982 Thanks
    Ames
    Apologies Ames but I'm not psychic - you hadn't mentioned it. The OP had, which is why I checked and mentioned the travelators.
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    I'm sorry, I thought it was clear I was talking about my personal experiences of (in)accessibility. I'll try and be clearer in future.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,507Posts Today

7,820Users online

Martin's Twitter