Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 28th Feb 17, 12:57 AM
    • 154Posts
    • 457Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Debt Free by 24
    • 28th Feb 17, 12:57 AM
    Debt Free by 24 28th Feb 17 at 12:57 AM
    Hello everyone! I am a 23 year old gal from Australia. My birthday is in December and I'm going to be debt free by then!

Last year, my mum loaned me $8000. I won't go into too much detail, but it was to help with the downpayment on my unit. There is no interest or due date on it, but I would like to pay it back as soon as possible as I don't like the feeling of it hanging over my head.

It is my priority to get the debt paid off ASAP, but I do have some savings goals that I am working on as well, as I am single and have a mortgage and I don't like the idea of not saving anything for an extended period of time.

Eventually I would like to have a big Emergency Fund of $10,000. I am also working on having a Mini Cash Emergency Fund to keep in the house ($100) and I will find the money from this by gathering coins and stealing from the grocery budget

I won't post my full budget as I feel like I've got it pretty well under control, but I will say that I get paid every 2 weeks, and I have around $270 left over, so I put $220 to the debt and $50 to the Emergency Fund.

Current starts

Family Loan $3141/$8000 = -$4859 remaining.

Emergency Fund $1272/$10,000

Mini Cash Savings = $10/$100

Perhaps I can be Mortgage Free by 30. We'll see.

I am also looking for a new job. I've already applied for one this weekend, so cross your fingers for me!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 29-03-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Page 4
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 14th Mar 17, 11:01 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thank you angel am patiently waiting for that phone call today. I bet it will come this afternoon while I am at work and I'll have to call back

I should really be trying to be a bit productive this morning and get some housework done, but I really don't want to. I feel so tired today.
    Family Loan of $8000 - Paid off 22/06/2017
    Emergency Fund $6,000 / $10,000
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 15th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Well I did end up being productive this morning, I washed up, cleaned the kitchen, tidied the house and vacuumed (even cleaned out the vacuum cleaner).

No word from the job that I applied and interviewed for . They were meant to get back to me today. Not sure what to make of that. Hopefully they will call tomorrow.

Anyways, today was payday. I worked extra hours last week, so had an extra $50 to put towards the debt

$290 to the Loan
    and my usual $50 to the Emergency Fund

New figures are:
    Loan: $3651 / $8000 = $4349 remaining
    Emergency Fund: $1375 / $10,000

Getting so close to half way with the loan. If only I could get this new job, it would be paid off so much quicker (and I would be far less miserable).
    Last edited by VelvetFreak; 15-03-2017 at 9:27 AM.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 16th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Hey guys, just a quick check in tonight. Am so exhausted. Finally got a call back today, and have an in-person interview next week that includes a role play scenario type thing. I am freaking out a little, as I am terrible at acting and really don't do well at this sort of thing

My manager made a very snarky remark today when I casually mentioned a small change in one of our systems and asked if anyone else had noticed it. She straight up said "No idea. That's your job to know that. Not mine". It took every fibre of my being to not cackle with laughter, as it is literally her job to know everything plus more than us peasants so that she can, you know, manage us. Talk about awkward.
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 16th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    angelpye
    Hi VF, well done on getting through to the next stage! I hate role play too but try to believe what the other person is saying and be yourself (within the description). IYSWIM

Well done on the overtime payment. Slowly getting there!

I had a manager who didn't know her job at all and then used all my feedback to pitch a new role to the CEO with a massive pay rise...she managed to blag it for a while and then had to move on...I think they call that karma
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 17th Mar 17, 7:24 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thanks angel. Your old manager sounds just like my current one. No idea how she even got the job to begin with.

Nothing much to report today, am doing well with my grocery budget. Have hardly spent anything the last few days. No idea what to do with myself this weekend. All i can think about is this interview.
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 17th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    angelpye
    Spend the weekend partly doing things so stress is relieved for the coming week and then some things that are fun or relaxing for you is my advice. Well done for keeping the groceries in budget
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    EF £0/£4200
    • lucy-lou
    • By lucy-lou 17th Mar 17, 10:30 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    lucy-lou
    Congrats on getting to the next stage of your interview. My advise for role play is to demonstrate how you would deal with the situation they put in front of you in real life and you won't go wrong. As a recuiter myself that is what I look for something that comes across natural and isn't put on for show. Hope this helps a little x
    Barclaycard 1 = £976.90 / £0 remaining
    Barclaycard 2 = £1865.10 / £0 remaining
    Nationwide = £1156.45 / £0 remaining
    Total = £3998.45 / £0 remaining

DEBT FREE DATE 24/03/2017
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Mar 17, 10:34 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 2,586 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well done for getting the interview! I had to role play for my current job - don't think I was brilliant but I got the job anyway. They must think you look like a likely candidate.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 19th Mar 17, 3:10 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thank you everyone for your encouragement. Am having a very uneventful weekend. I have been somewhat productive with cleaning and doing a bit of organising around the house. I am really dreading going back to work tomorrow. I know it's bad when I start to contemplate calling in sick. That usually only happens when I'm feeling super miserable. And I guess I am.

But at the same time I want the week to hurry up so that I can go to this interview and see if I get this job. I feel like I am just wishing my life away at the moment. And I can't really talk to anyone, because I don't want to accidentally mention anything about the job because I either don't want people to know yet or don't want to jinx myself. My friend group is very much intertwined with my work, which is something that I won't allow to happen when I get a new job.

I don't have many friends here, my best friend lives about 1.5hrs away, and is 10 years older than me and has kids, so it is very hard to organise time to catch up. We talk on the phone daily, but it's really not the same. All the friends I have here are "work" friends.

Sorry for the Debbie Downer type post. Not sure what to do with myself at the moment. I feel like I'm in limbo and there's nothing I can really do about it.
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 19th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    angelpye
    Hi VF, no need to apologise, I get lonely too sometimes. Try to be kind to yourself and have a pamper session - even if thats just watching a film with some nice food.
    EF £0/£4200
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 19th Mar 17, 10:56 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thanks angel.

I guess I did have a bit of a "pamper session" in the form of dinner from kfc. I feel disgusting now, but it was fun at the time. I suppose that will have to come out of the grocery budget.

I had 2hr long phone chat to my mum this afternoon. It was very therapeutic. We are so alike it's not funny. She is going through some similar nonsense with her work at the moment. We had a nice long whinge to one another, and I talked about all the stuff that I feel like I am lacking in my life at the moment. Sometimes I wonder if I have sacrificed too much to get where I am now. I think (hope) that my future self will thank me. Anyways, that's enough navel gazing for right now.

I think I'll try some bullet points.

Good things:
    • My friend came over this afternoon and helped me move my stupid empty fish tank into the garage. Now I have no excess furniture in the house, which feels amazing and I can finally vacuum properly. Now I just need to sell it.
    • I bought an old piano chair/stool off a Facebook group. Cost me $10 an am using paint that I already have. Bought material to re-cover it ($12) and need to buy some upholstery tacks or borrow a staple gun to finish it off. But not bad for something to do. I plan to use it as a chair for my vanity.
    • While I had the paint out, I decided to touch up a part of the ceiling paint that I managed to rip off with tape. (Don't ask).
    • I moved the couch and vacuumed out from under it enough cat hair to build approximately 10 more cats.
    • I looked at the email that outlines the scenario that I need to prepare for the job interview, and it's so basic it's not funny. I don't know what I was worried about.

Meh things:
    • I am feeling a lot of emotions right now. Something is really bothering me, but I can't put my finger on it quite enough to be able to fix it. I know that it a combination of work and my boss (I always feel like I'm in trouble for something), the prospect of a new job, and that I feel like I don't have. any. friends.
    • I can already sort of tell that I'm not going to sleep well tonight. I don't want to go to bed because I don't want to be alone with my thoughts.
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 19th Mar 17, 10:50 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Sorry you're having a down day. I think the feeling of not having enough friends is really common, it's just amplified when you're stressed.

And remember, you've always got us lot
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £31900
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 19th Mar 17, 11:29 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 2,586 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Aw, this isn't good . Hugs from me.

And maybe if you are feeling a lack of friends, that's proof (if more were needed) that you're not in a the right place at the moment. My current work place has a lovely atmosphere, but a lot of that's because although we are very different people with very different lives, we all get along famously - it makes a huge difference. My previous job was rather the opposite: I've kept in touch with a couple of people but they left there before I did. Coming here has made a huge difference. Work takes up a big part of life so it's worth keeping looking till you find the place where you feel good, and those places do exist.

And you did make me laugh with building cats.

Oh, and you realise I'll be awake late wondering why you had tape on the ceiling...

xx
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 19th Mar 17, 11:29 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    angelpye
    Hi VF, I have huge overthinking issues going to bed. I find using meditation and even sound of waves youtube videos helpful (yup, I know sounds silly but has really helped me when anxiety high). I also do yoga breathing - the sort they tell you is to quieten the 'monkey chatter'...I am sure you could find a youtube video or even join a class. It basically breathing but in your head saying 'I am breathing 100, Iam breathing out 100, I am breathing 99, I am breathing out 99...' counting backwards and every time an unwelcome thought enters I push it to one side and concentrate on breathing. I usually fall asleep before 80. HTH.
    EF £0/£4200
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 20th Mar 17, 11:58 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Hi guys, thank you for your support as always. I am so lucky to have already made a few friends here. Yesterday at work wasn't too bad at all. surprisingly.

I had a lot of trouble getting to sleep last night. Was tossing and turning, overheating then getting cold, etc. Luckily I don't have an early start this morning so was able to get a bit of extra sleep.

I am freaking out, not only about the interview, but the prospect of having to resign from my current job if I do get a new one. It's not that I'm particularly attached to the place, it's more that I am worried about what kind of a reaction my manager will have if/when I tell her. Usually I would not be bothered by this sort of thing, but I feel so emotionally exhausted lately that I don't have the energy to deal with the confrontation.

Anyways, I know I should just stop worrying about it but I can't help myself.

This time tomorrow, I'll be driving to my interview (or parked out the front like a creeper, waiting to go in )
    • lucy-lou
    • By lucy-lou 21st Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    lucy-lou
    Good luck for the interview, you will smash it, lots of eye contact and smiling!

Don't focus to far ahead just focus on the interview and nailing that, then worry about resigning when you get to that bridge. It should never be a confrontational moment but I can totally understand why your manager would make you feel like that.

Anyways gotta go get ready work but sending lots of luck across the world!!!!

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 21st Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 2,586 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'm sorry you're losing sleep. Does mindfulness or a bit of CBT help? I put the radio on to distract myself sometimes - just a sound other than my own thoughts can help.

This time tomorrow, I'll be driving to my interview (or parked out the front like a creeper, waiting to go in )
    Originally posted by VelvetFreak
    Nearly midnight UK time - so I will definitely be awake and thinking of you!

Good luck for the interview, you will smash it, lots of eye contact and smiling!

Don't focus to far ahead just focus on the interview and nailing that, then worry about resigning when you get to that bridge.
    Originally posted by lucy-lou
    What lucy-lou says! Cross that bridge when you come to it. You never know, your manager may win the lottery and resign ahead of you, or get bubonic plague and be off work, or something may come up at work that takes the focus off you. Or all three.

Here's to another not-so-bad day at work for you.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 21st Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 17,583 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Good Luck for the interview, I hope it went well?

Pmo2
    xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7250.00 Cap 1: £529.05 BC: £5196.94

AFD 0/10 NSD 0/10 LTW 0/10

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • lucy-lou
    • By lucy-lou 21st Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    lucy-lou
    Good luck!!!!!!

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 21st Mar 17, 11:41 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 2,586 Thanks
    Cherryfudge

We're cheering for you - we're the ones with the giant Martin Lewis bopping up and down in the middle in case you didn't guess. Hope the noise doesn't alarm your prospective employer.

(Loads of good wishes )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,864Posts Today

6,239Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin