Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 28th Feb 17, 12:57 AM
    • 89Posts
    • 226Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Debt Free by 24
    • 28th Feb 17, 12:57 AM
    Debt Free by 24 28th Feb 17 at 12:57 AM
    Hello everyone! I am a 23 year old gal from Australia. My birthday is in December and I'm going to be debt free by then!

Last year, my mum loaned me $8000. I won't go into too much detail, but it was to help with the downpayment on my unit. There is no interest or due date on it, but I would like to pay it back as soon as possible as I don't like the feeling of it hanging over my head.

It is my priority to get the debt paid off ASAP, but I do have some savings goals that I am working on as well, as I am single and have a mortgage and I don't like the idea of not saving anything for an extended period of time.

Eventually I would like to have a big Emergency Fund of $10,000. I am also working on having a Mini Cash Emergency Fund to keep in the house ($100) and I will find the money from this by gathering coins and stealing from the grocery budget

I won't post my full budget as I feel like I've got it pretty well under control, but I will say that I get paid every 2 weeks, and I have around $270 left over, so I put $220 to the debt and $50 to the Emergency Fund.

Current starts

Family Loan $3141/$8000 = -$4859 remaining.

Emergency Fund $1272/$10,000

Mini Cash Savings = $10/$100

Perhaps I can be Mortgage Free by 30. We'll see.

I am also looking for a new job. I've already applied for one this weekend, so cross your fingers for me!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 29-03-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Page 3
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 11th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    angelpye
    Well I must be your opposite! I am all about food stocks, enough to feed us for at least a month (and then some) is where I am most comfortable! Fighting the demons though and as I live near 3 major supermarkets with very little cupboard space I am slowly changing this. I have pairs of pjs...only 1 that I would admit to owning as the rest are so worn!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: 2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF 0/4200
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Mar 17, 10:35 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I am currently working through a 1L bottle of shower gel that I just had to have. Needless to say, I am sick of the stuff, but it has been a valuable learning experience.
    Originally posted by VelvetFreak
    Did you know you can use it to clean the shower as well as cleaning yourself?
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Mar 17, 10:43 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hi Velvet Freak, well done on getting to the next stage of interviews. I would suggest making sure you are dressed professionally with shoes on even though its a telephone interview. I used to work with clients over the phone and always felt when I was dressed for work I was much more professional and productive. Also do something calming before hand if you can.
    Originally posted by angelpye
    ...and smile when you answer the phone. Somehow that comes across too!
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 12th Mar 17, 2:20 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thank you for your tips guys.

Well I went out this morning and bought some clothes in case I get called in for a regular interview. Had set a budget of $50, and only spent $48, so am happy about that. Will return them if I don't end up needing them.

I am starting to get very, very nervous about the interview tomorrow. I'm going to sit down and write out my answers for the "common interview questions" (thanks google) and list out some of the questions to ask if they ask me if I have any. Hopefully that will make me feel a bit better. I have this weird feeling like I'm procrastinating, even though I don't think I am

I think I'm more nervous about getting on my lunch break in time for them to call, than the actual interview itself.
    Family Loan $4510/$8000 = -$3490
    Emergency Fund $1575/$10,000
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 12th Mar 17, 7:19 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Well done on getting through to the interview stage. Good luck with the interview!
    paydbx #90 275/10,000.
    365 day penny challenge 37.66/667.95
    Loan 17k in 2012- 840 in May 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 12th Mar 17, 7:36 AM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 13,994 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    You'll be fine, good luck.

Pmo2
    X
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 8000.00 Overdraft: 2750.00

Lunches to work 0/25 AFD 0/18 10pw 0/5

20p Savers 2017 2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 12th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thank you both x
    • Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 12th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    Macey1510
    Good luck with your interview...hope it goes well!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Lots of good wishes from me too xx
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 12th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thank you everyone for your well wishes for the interview. I almost had a bit of a nervous breakdown this afternoon, I ended up on the bed under a blanket, basically freaking out. I had a bit of a nap, and I feel much better now. I feel really unprepared, but I have prepared as much as I can. Have researched the company, planned answers for common interview questions, etc.

My cat has been causing me trouble. She has peed on the carpet and also managed to set her tail on fire, all in the one day. I cleaned out the laundry room today. I knew it was a mess, but didn't realise how much clay litter she had kicked around in there. It is everywhere, under everything. I swept up as most of it as I could, and scrubbed the floor, but it's still everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I love my pets, and I wouldn't trade that furball for the world. But they can be a real pain in the you know what sometimes. Between the litter and the fur everywhere (I think she is part persian, sheds like crazy) I can barely keep up. The fish are no better, between trashing their tank and trying to kill each other, I don't know who is worse. I can honestly say, that after the cat, I will probably never have another furry pet. They wreck your house. Anyways, that is my rant for the day. In the end, I am thankful that my pets are healthy and happy.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 12th Mar 17, 10:45 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Well I guess I wasn't finished ranting yet.

I am going to have to implement some sort of a Serious Cleaning Schedule. The laundry was a bit of a wake up call for me. I like to think that I am pretty good at keeping up with house work, but I am starting to think perhaps not so much. I am good at washing and vacuuming and making the bed. That's pretty much it. Everything else I pretty much only ever do when it mood strikes. I don't know if it's the cat shedding constantly, or simply the fact that it's an older house (therefore harder to clean?). But my house always feels a little bit filthy. I hate carpet. Ugh.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 13th Mar 17, 7:40 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Hello guys. Had my phone interview today. I think it went okay-ish. I don't think I interviewed particularly well, as I was really nervous. But at the same time, I think my answers were okay. The Lovely HR lady did ask me what times I was free next week for an in-person interview, and also how much notice I'd have to give for my current job. So that sounds good. She said that I will hear back from her by Wednesday. Crossing my fingers.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 13th Mar 17, 8:42 AM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 13,994 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    That sounds really positive. What day are you going for your second interview? Xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 8000.00 Overdraft: 2750.00

Lunches to work 0/25 AFD 0/18 10pw 0/5

20p Savers 2017 2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 13th Mar 17, 9:05 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    I really hope so, Purple. (If they end up calling me in for one) it will be next week, either tuesday or wednesday.
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 13th Mar 17, 10:38 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 1,417 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Well done on the interview. Fingers crossed for Wednesday
    Debt 03/01/17 = 42000
    Debt today = 36933
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 13th Mar 17, 11:02 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thank you boxofpaws

Well today is the last day before payday. I only went over on my groceries/personal budget by about $5. This is practically a miracle, as usually I would already have dipped into next fortnight's budget by about $30. So am quite happy with that.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 14th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Another blah day at work. So over that place it's not funny. Today was an NSD, so that's good

I've gone over 2 weeks without buying any kind of homewares, which is practically unheard of for me. I think I am having withdrawals. There are so many things that I want for the house (key word being want, not need), but not buying feels so much better.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Glad you survived the interview . They can be hair raising.

Well done for not buying too much for the house - it's so tempting! Regarding the battle with housework, I thought you were doing a good job. I suppose the cat hair and the not-everyday-details do conspire to sabotage your work. I know Flylady has detailed cleaning lists which she has organised so they come round on a rota basis... I don't know if you've seen her site? Some people find it overwhelming but that's only because they ignore the instruction to take it one step at a time and delete stuff from previous days.

Keep us posted if you have any interview news!
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 14th Mar 17, 12:15 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Hi Cherry, so glad someone finally responded to my housework rant
    I seriously need to check out Flylady.

It does not help that my house has been a disorganised mess since I moved in. Don't get me wrong, i do love it, but it's quite tiny and has a weird layout. I have pretty much spent the last 10 months juggling furniture around. I still need to get rid of 3 pieces of furniture and an empty aquarium. (Reading this back, I sound like a total pack rat. I swear I'm not, it's just that I moved from a place with hardly any built-in storage so I had a lot of cupboards and junk that I thought I needed at the time). It's hard when you don't have anyone else to help you lift heavy stuff. Well at least that's my excuse.

Would you believe that I got rid of at least 10 rubbish bags full of crap, mainly consisting of linen, towels, cushions etc. Not to mention clothes and kitchen paraphernalia. I blame myself for buying most of it, but also family members who so lovingly gifted me a lot of mismatched stuff.

Re. the actual housework: It's definitely got to do with the cat shedding, as well as it being an older place with older carpet. I do think I keep up well, probably better than a lot of people, But there is a base level of grime/dust/dirt that is hard to get through. I am getting there slowly, but am slack with window sills and dusting, etc. I have painted all the walls, but still need to do doors and trims, frames, etc. Oh and it needs a new kitchen, a new bathroom and new flooring.

Anyways, i guess I'll shut up now.
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 14th Mar 17, 6:14 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    angelpye
    Hi VF! I second the FlyLady thread - they have levels for getting to the stuff I generally don't do - cleaning windows, giving the washing machine a spring clean etc. I am renovating my house and find if I book into my diary jobs to do on my free days it helps to organise me. It is hard on your own though isn't it? Occasionally a friend helps me out and I am always much more productive as it feels 'fun'?

Good luck with outcome of interview - I think we always come across as less nervous than we actually feel
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: 2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF 0/4200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,620Posts Today

5,945Users online

Martin's Twitter