Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 28th Feb 17, 12:57 AM
    • 154Posts
    • 457Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Debt Free by 24
    • 28th Feb 17, 12:57 AM
    Debt Free by 24 28th Feb 17 at 12:57 AM
    Hello everyone! I am a 23 year old gal from Australia. My birthday is in December and I'm going to be debt free by then!

Last year, my mum loaned me $8000. I won't go into too much detail, but it was to help with the downpayment on my unit. There is no interest or due date on it, but I would like to pay it back as soon as possible as I don't like the feeling of it hanging over my head.

It is my priority to get the debt paid off ASAP, but I do have some savings goals that I am working on as well, as I am single and have a mortgage and I don't like the idea of not saving anything for an extended period of time.

Eventually I would like to have a big Emergency Fund of $10,000. I am also working on having a Mini Cash Emergency Fund to keep in the house ($100) and I will find the money from this by gathering coins and stealing from the grocery budget

I won't post my full budget as I feel like I've got it pretty well under control, but I will say that I get paid every 2 weeks, and I have around $270 left over, so I put $220 to the debt and $50 to the Emergency Fund.

Current starts

Family Loan $3141/$8000 = -$4859 remaining.

Emergency Fund $1272/$10,000

Mini Cash Savings = $10/$100

Perhaps I can be Mortgage Free by 30. We'll see.

I am also looking for a new job. I've already applied for one this weekend, so cross your fingers for me!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 29-03-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Page 2
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 6th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thanks lucy Am about to write a cover letter for another job app now actually. If you PM me I'll tell you
    Family Loan of $8000 - Paid off 22/06/2017
    Emergency Fund $6,000 / $10,000
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 7th Mar 17, 8:19 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Well today was absolutely awful. Manager was off sick and the aforementioned coworker pushed me over the edge. She relentlessly argued with me over something very minute that did not even have anything to do with her. Then had another crack at me about something else a bit later. Wouldn't let me say anything, then raised her voice and spoke over me. I didn't want to say anything I'd regret, so I turned around, said I was going for lunch and basically stormed out.

I drove home for lunch, and another coworker at least had the decency to text to make sure i was okay. At that point I just burst into tears. Eventually, I pulled myself back together and went back to work. Then had yet another cry when my other coworker came to check on me. Aforementioned coworker has not mentioned anything about it, not even to ask if I'm okay (had clearly been crying). She is going on holidays tomorrow and I was meant to look after her pets while she's away and she hasn't said anything about that either. It's a shame really, as we had become friends outside of work, and we live very close to each other. Sadly, I don't think I'll get an apology as she is stubborn like that. Oh well.

On the plus side, I did not spend any money today as I was too upset to care about lunch and forgot to go grocery shopping.
    Last edited by VelvetFreak; 07-03-2017 at 8:23 AM.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 8th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Just a short check in today as I am already in bed and am on my phone

Today was much better than yesterday. The painful colleague is on holidays so that helped a lot.

I got a call from the first job (lovely HR lady) asking me to complete some online assessments. She said that I will hear back by Friday afternoon. Hopefully I will get an interview. I am feeling pretty good about the whole thing. People don't usually call unless it's for a good reason. (Well in my opionon at least)

Anyways, that's all for now. I'm off to read some other diaries
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 8th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 5,248 Posts
    • 17,599 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Oh hun, what a shame someone can be so horrid. Chin up lovely!

Glad today was better and that your toxic colleague has gone on holiday.

Fingers crossed for the job.

Pmo2
    xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7250.00 Cap 1: £529.05 BC: £5196.94

AFD 0/10 NSD 0/10 LTW 0/10

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • Hillwalker17
    • By Hillwalker17 8th Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Hillwalker17
    Hello,

Just read through your diary and I wanted to wish you good luck for the job applications. You have so much PMA its really good. Shame on your coworkers though.

x
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 8th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thankyou Purple

Hillwalker Thank you for visiting. I agree, my PMA is pretty good, but it is a learned talent and I have not always been this way. There was a period in my life where I was incredibly depressed, and in a permanent state of existential crisis. Somehow I have managed to overcome it for the most part. I still have bad days like we all do. Anyways, do you have a diary?
    • Hillwalker17
    • By Hillwalker17 8th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Hillwalker17
    Well i'm happy that you've managed to turn your thinking around for the better. I'm a positive person so I always look to the future, however I know a number of people who dwell on the past and refuse to let go of things.

I do have a diary - it's brand new and with only a few posts. I have no idea of how to send you a link though.. haha.

I'll pop back and see how your getting on now and then.

HW17
    Ex Gambling Addict - Last bet made on 15/03/2017 - 29 Days
    Slowly building an emergency fund - £1000/£6000
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 8th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    VelvetFreak, hello,

I have subscribed to your diary, and am waiting patiently to hear the outcome of your job applications.

There is a theme on here if people with nightmare work colleagues...I do hope it's not catching...
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £31900
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 9th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Hillwalker I will try and find your diary pop in to say hello.

Hello Paws!! Yes, I too have noticed the theme of rotten coworkers. Wish they would leave us all alone. Thanks for popping in.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 9th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Well today was looong but uneventful. I completed my assessments for the job application, and should hear something tomorrow.

It's almost 8pm here. I have done a load of washing, washed up, cleaned the kitchen, cleaned out/organised the contents of the fridge and vacuumed. I just parked my butt on the couch and am having a cup of tea and some biscuits while I read all of your wonderful diaries.

I've been thinking today about credit cards and such. I will admit to using one. I would say I am pretty damn sensible with it. I use it for pretty much everything, but I pay it off the same day as I spend on it. I do it to build up points, which can be traded for gift cards etc. It's a quite a posh card, but I got it with no annual fee for life as part of my work perks. It has some other benefits such as complimentary travel insurance and various other things. I don't want to get rid of it, because I'd never be able to get it back, but sometimes I do wonder. Perhaps I should just stick it in a drawer somewhere and only use it for bills and more conscious/planned spending?

This is going to sound quite spoilt (you've been warned), but my bday is very close to xmas, and because of that, I never really get a 'proper' birthday (party, gifts or otherwise). It's not anyone's fault, and I'm fine with it for the most part because I don't like the attention anyways. But I like to use the CC points to treat myself to something nice without the guilt of having spent money on myself at Christmas.

I just don't know, I'm fine with the credit card for the most part, but I do sometimes get a bit slap-happy with the damn thing.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 10th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Happy Friday! Hope you all have a great day. It's Friday night here, I kinda don't now what to do myself. Got good news today regarding the job application. I have a phone interview booked for Monday, which to me actually feels more nerve wracking than an in person one.

I should probably make a visit to the shops over the weekend and buy some clothes in case I have to attend an in person interview, and to wear my first couple of weeks while I wait for a uniform order. If I don't need them, they I can just return them.

I am full of nerves, not necessarily about the interview but the prospect of taking on a whole new job, work colleagues, etc.
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 10th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    angelpye
    Hi Velvet Freak, well done on getting to the next stage of interviews. I would suggest making sure you are dressed professionally with shoes on even though its a telephone interview. I used to work with clients over the phone and always felt when I was dressed for work I was much more professional and productive. Also do something calming before hand if you can.
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 11th Mar 17, 12:41 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thanks angel. I will be doing the interview in my lunch break, so won't have time to change clothes, so I'll be wearing regular work clothes, but I know what you mean.

Anyways, happy Saturday. I've already got a start on chores. Got the bedsheets washing and will also do towels. Need to seriously clean out my laundry room as it is very trashed. Haven't got much grocery money left so will be eating from the freezer for lunch, and will get a $5 pizza for dinner which will last me 2 meals . Decided not to venture to the shops until tomorrow as I don't feel like it today.
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 11th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    angelpye
    Sounding very organised as usual! I wish I had a laundry room - its not really common here. My ex mother in law has one and I always think it must make that side of things much more organised and in control than squeezing it in the rest of the house.

When is your interview?
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    EF £0/£4200
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hello Velvet, I've just found your diary and wanted to say well done for being a) such a lovely daughter to your mum and b) so focused with your finances. You seem to have lots in place and over the years those skills will go on paying out to make life easier for you.
    I noticed on an earlier post that you're on Facebook... there are a number of groups on there to help with cheap & easy food, though the ones I've seen are probably more orientated to a British diet. One I particularly like is 'Feed yourself for £1 a day'.
    Have you looked on the Old Style Board here? There are lots of good ideas and you may find some to help with those things you mentioned at the beginning (wash cloths instead of using paper towels, etc.). I would recommend using basics like bleach, washing up liquid, white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda for cleaning rather than more expensive branded products, though as you make your own pizza bases I suspect you don't need to be told that branded isn't necessarily superior!
    I'll subscribe and cheer you on
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 11th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Well today has been interesting. I went for a "lay down" on the bed as was feeling a bit tired, woke up 5 hours later . Must have needed it.

Ended up being too lazy to go and buy pizza, so ended up scavenging from the pantry for dinner.

angel Laundry rooms are pretty common here, but mine is nothing special, and I'm actually surprised that it was even built into this tiny shoebox flat to begin with. It's basically a glorified closet for the water heater, that also happens to contain a sink and room for a washer and to stack the dryer on top. If I ever renovate, I'd actually like to knock that wall out My interview as at lunch time on Monday.

Cherry Thank you for the tips and kind words I have had a look at the Old Style boards. I am slowly getting into it. I have stopped using paper towel and use cloths instead, and have torn up some worn out clothes to use as rags for mopping up stuff and tossing for really gross messes. I make my own surface spray using a drop of washing up liquid in water. Making little changes definitely helps. Thank you for subscribing, it's lovely to have you

One of my focuses at the moment is making a conscious effort to purchase less arbitrary junk such as home decor and shower gels/moisturisers, random cosmetics, etc. I am a (somewhat) recovered cushion hoarder. I also have a bad habit of changing out bed spreads because I get "bored" of them. Talk about first world problems. I am currently working through a 1L bottle of shower gel that I just had to have. Needless to say, I am sick of the stuff, but it has been a valuable learning experience.
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 11th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    angelpye
    Have you looked into KonMari Method of tidying up? Really helped me appreciate what I have and I now have no urge to buy new house stuff - apart from the necessarily refurbishment stuff as I bought a fixer upper. The audio book is available on youtube - I listen whilst doing housework via my phone and headphones.

Good luck on Monday
    EF £0/£4200
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 11th Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thanks angel I haven't read Kon Marie but have watched lots of Youtube videos about it. I've been into 'minimalism' for a few years now, so I'm pretty good already, just with a few weaknesses that I am working on. Like most people still have so much stuff I could potentially get rid of.

I find that the things I like to buy in excess is directly related to what I lacked during childhood. I never really went without, but there was stuff that we simply didn't have/buy, and that's what I struggle with now. I'm 10 times better than I used to be, so that's good.
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 11th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    angelpye
    Sounds like we are in similar places with this then. I know my urges are linked to childhood and have been committed to a more minimalist lifestyle for some time now.
    EF £0/£4200
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 11th Mar 17, 1:39 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    I am getting there, slowly but surely. There was a point in time when I owned probably over 20 sets of winter pyjamas. Those days are well and truly over thank goodness. Growing up, I remember only having 1-2 pairs. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time, but must have affected me in some way, as I was always buying new ones. Same with bras and underwear. Although on the flip side, I am such an under-buyer when it comes to food. I struggle to stock my cupboards. Makes no sense.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,743Posts Today

8,000Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin