Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChrisMckay2501
    • By ChrisMckay2501 27th Feb 17, 6:57 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ChrisMckay2501
    Euro Car Parks Hamilton Palace Parking Charge
    • 27th Feb 17, 6:57 PM
    Euro Car Parks Hamilton Palace Parking Charge 27th Feb 17 at 6:57 PM
    Looking for advice please.

I received a parking charge due to an overstay of 38 mins past the 4 hour max time on Christmas Eve, whilst parked in the ECP in Hamilton, Scotland.

At the time, I had no idea there was a max stay in the car park, as the signage isn't very obvious.

Whilst I was in the car park, I spent £75 in the businesses it serves (Vue cinema, Asda and Nandos).

The signage and the fact that the £70 fine is not a genuine indication of loss to the landowner were the reasons I cited in my letter to ECP, in response to receiving the charge notice through the post (used the template from this website). I also included photos of where the signage could / should be situated to make it more obvious, as well as photos of the existing signage, located in places where you would need to be manoeuvring and hence wouldn't be drawn to read the sign (cited this as a possible safety issue - I'm a safety advisor so thought I'd drop this in).

I have just received a letter telling me they have rejected my appeal, which simply states it's a driver's responsibility to read the signage, and that the charge still stands. I am wondering if anyone can advise on what my next move should be, if anything?

I really feel unjustly done by, especially due to the fact that the car park serves a cinema complex. It sort of feels like a Catch 22.
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 27th Feb 17, 7:07 PM
    • 16,540 Posts
    • 20,699 Thanks
    Redx
    • 27th Feb 17, 7:07 PM
    • 27th Feb 17, 7:07 PM
    if you have not admitted the drivers details then as this is Scotland there is no keeper liability (no POFA2012) so as the NEWBIES sticky thread clearly says , IGNORE

ps:- I hope you did not use the MSE template , because the correct templates to use (if used) are in the NEWBIES sticky thread , above this thread
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • ChrisMckay2501
    • By ChrisMckay2501 28th Feb 17, 9:19 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChrisMckay2501
    • 28th Feb 17, 9:19 AM
    • 28th Feb 17, 9:19 AM
    The drivers details were provided - the car I drive is a company car so didn't want letters going through HQ. And it was the template from the main website I used also.
    • ChrisMckay2501
    • By ChrisMckay2501 28th Feb 17, 9:33 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChrisMckay2501
    • 28th Feb 17, 9:33 AM
    • 28th Feb 17, 9:33 AM
    I've just checked the letter and I've identified the vehicle as my company vehicle but I've never implicitly stated that I was driving it on the day in question.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 28th Feb 17, 10:09 AM
    • 51,532 Posts
    • 65,134 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 28th Feb 17, 10:09 AM
    • 28th Feb 17, 10:09 AM
    Great. Even if you had we'd confirm the usual advice, in Scotland you ignore private parking tickets.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• DoaM
    • By DoaM 28th Feb 17, 11:22 AM
    • 3,494 Posts
    • 3,551 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 28th Feb 17, 11:22 AM
    • 28th Feb 17, 11:22 AM
    Just for info ... the ECP car park doesn't serve ASDA - they have their own car park.

(I know the area well, I live about 10 miles away from there).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • ChrisMckay2501
    • By ChrisMckay2501 28th Feb 17, 5:18 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChrisMckay2501
    • 28th Feb 17, 5:18 PM
    • 28th Feb 17, 5:18 PM
    Are you sure you can ignore it? The advice on the main site seems to suggest differently.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st Mar 17, 12:57 AM
    • 51,532 Posts
    • 65,134 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 1st Mar 17, 12:57 AM
    • 1st Mar 17, 12:57 AM
    Are you sure you can ignore it? The advice on the main site seems to suggest differently.
    Originally posted by ChrisMckay2501
    The main site ''advice'' on private parking tickets is (sadly) awful.

Yes, ignore it, not least because it is Euro Car Parks whose boss admitted a few years ago they have no idea about county court. They don't sue people in England so would hardly be likely to make a foray into the Scottish courts out of the blue - and if they did it would not be a person with ONE PCN they would choose as a guinea pig victim for the first time, it would be someone with multi-PCNs of ever they tried.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• ChrisMckay2501
    • By ChrisMckay2501 1st Mar 17, 6:50 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChrisMckay2501
    • 1st Mar 17, 6:50 AM
    • 1st Mar 17, 6:50 AM
    Brilliant- thanks for your help on this.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 1st Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 5,981 Posts
    • 5,433 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Just for info ... the ECP car park doesn't serve ASDA - they have their own car park.

(I know the area well, I live about 10 miles away from there).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Yeah ECP cover the cinema side parking (4 hours, though there's a terminal hidden in the cinema behind the ticket check on the right where you can enter your reg number for an exception). Highview cover the Adsa side (3 hours, no exceptions).

My vehicle got 1 invoice (and maybe 5 follow ups) once, and then another vehicle was ignored a 2nd time, so I suspect Asda have told highview not to bother.

Anyway, on the ECP side, you've notified them so the paperwork will go to you, no court or debt collection action will occur so just ignore the junk mail.

I'd fire off a complain to the cinema and stores you visited anyway.
    Last edited by Herzlos; 01-03-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    • ChrisMckay2501
    • By ChrisMckay2501 30th May 17, 3:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChrisMckay2501
    I have now received a debt recovery letter from a company acting on behalf of EPL demanding payment of £130. I replied to tell them that I contested the validity of the ticket with EPL and also did not identify the driver in any correspondence, but they have responded saying if I do not ID the driver I am liable for the debt.

They are saying if I do not pay or ID the driver they will hand this back to EPL to initiate court proceedings. What should I do?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 30th May 17, 3:51 PM
    • 51,532 Posts
    • 65,134 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Why did you rely to a debt collector? Post #4 of the NEWBIES thread tells you why not.

• 123Peanut
    • By 123Peanut 30th May 17, 4:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    123Peanut
    Hi guys,

So on April 3rd I went to Hounslow Euro car parks and paid for 1 hour via the phone line and went for dinner with my fianc!es parents. When it got close to the cut off time I called the phone number to add more money as I thought I'd be back 10 minutes late. Instead I was about 15 minutes late. This car park has a camera system and issued me a bill for staying too long and this was sent to my home address. I ignored it and the second letter but now DRP are involved asking for the new debt of £135 or they are threatening to advise their client to take court action. The cut off date for the bill is tomorrow 31st may.
    I haven't responded at all to either of the companies.
    I'm seeing conflicting advise on here.
    Anyone know what I can do??
    The bottom of the DRP letter tried to scare me by mentioning in 2015 November a motorist was taken to court and lost

Sorry I can't see how to start a new thread!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 30th May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 51,532 Posts
    • 65,134 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Go back to page one. My signature even tells you where to click.

BUT READ THE NEWBIES THREAD POST #4 FIRST, AND TO BE FAIR, WE DO NOT WANT ANY MORE DR PLUS THREADS, PLEASE!!!

• ChrisMckay2501
    • By ChrisMckay2501 30th May 17, 4:28 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChrisMckay2501
    I hadn't read the advice full around the DR letters. Do I have another move now? Or should I simply ignore stuff from here on out?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 30th May 17, 4:52 PM
    • 51,532 Posts
    • 65,134 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Same as 123Peanut here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5628041

All covered here too, really tedious stuff, because the advice has been the same for ten years and is pretty obvious to us:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5035663

• Sadie17
    • By Sadie17 12th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sadie17
    Advice
    Hi guys,

So on April 3rd I went to Hounslow Euro car parks and paid for 1 hour via the phone line and went for dinner with my fianc!es parents. When it got close to the cut off time I called the phone number to add more money as I thought I'd be back 10 minutes late. Instead I was about 15 minutes late. This car park has a camera system and issued me a bill for staying too long and this was sent to my home address. I ignored it and the second letter but now DRP are involved asking for the new debt of £135 or they are threatening to advise their client to take court action. The cut off date for the bill is tomorrow 31st may.
    I haven't responded at all to either of the companies.
    I'm seeing conflicting advise on here.
    Anyone know what I can do??
    The bottom of the DRP letter tried to scare me by mentioning in 2015 November a motorist was taken to court and lost

Originally posted by 123Peanut
    Can you tell me what happened with this? I have just received similar letter and Im nervous to ignore altho everyone telling me to - thank you
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 33,252 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    Quentin
    You can safely ignore debt collectors.

If you end up getting a lbcca from the creditor or court correspondence don't ignore those
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    • 51,532 Posts
    • 65,134 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Can you tell me what happened with this? I have just received similar letter and Im nervous to ignore altho everyone telling me to - thank you
    Originally posted by Sadie17
    Nothing happens. A debt collector can do nothing except send 'scary' letters that we laugh at.

• Alan78492
    • By Alan78492 28th Jul 17, 2:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alan78492
    Looking for Advice
    Hi guys,

Similar situation to above, parking in Hamilton Palace car park. I'm acutally English and have received a parking fine from being in Scotland. Initially it was from Euro CarParks and now a letter from DRP. What jurisdiction do they have and what should I do?

Thanks so much
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

347Posts Today

4,813Users online

Martin's Twitter