Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,604Posts
    • 127,387Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you like this you might also like our ZeroWaste and Recycle Week discussions.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 84
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 7th Dec 17, 8:33 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    crazytree
    Used leftover sausage meat and a lonely belly pork strip that I'd stashed in the freezer to make pasties. Added onion, spud and carrot and bound with an egg. Really tasty and there's enough left for tonight's dinner. So sticking to the menu plan so far!
    We are short of puddings so I might have to dig further into the freezer to find some blackberries for crumble and use up the last cooking apple with it.
    I've managed to avoid food shopping for over a week which is unusual for me. Very happy about it though!

Tx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 15,604 Posts
    • 127,387 Thanks
    JackieO
    Pork fillet from the freezer dipped in flour and egg and rolled in dried stuffing mix then roasted with roast spuds and brussels and carrots for dinner tonight.Just mad out a shopping list for tomorrow ,my first shop of the month and not a lot on there as i am away from Christmas Eve until the New Year between my two DDs houses, so will only be buying the minimum amount of stuff for indoors anyway,trying to utilise as much as possible my freezer stash

JackieO xx
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Dec 17, 7:41 PM
    • 60,948 Posts
    • 355,996 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Bought the Lidl beef today, opened the freezer drawer to see what could be tossed in its general direction if I chuck it all into the SC. There were two peppers I'd sliced up, the tomato juice from a can of tomatoes (I never throw it away when I eat the tomatoes) - so they're lined up. I've three onions still (from the bag bought 2 months ago or so), so I lined up one of those and then I found a random jar of curry paste.

So those are going into the SC first thing in the morning ... to make a random beef curry .... I might have another rootle round the freezer drawer to see if anything else can be tossed in, but I think that's all that's in there that's suitable.

I'd like to start Christmas with an almost empty freezer if I can - and keep it that way too if possible. I hate finding I've frozen things I simply don't fancy .... and the best way to do that is to freeze as little as possible
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Dec 17, 8:33 AM
    • 15,604 Posts
    • 127,387 Thanks
    JackieO
    As it Friday I shall dig some fish out of the freezer for dinner tonight ,with some of my semolina pud for dessert. First shop of the month today and I am going to see what I need in stock apart from my very small shopping list. Tomorrows dinner will be bangers and mash both from the freezer with some left over baked bean from the fridge .A bit of baking is on the cards for tomorrow as well, I have some pastry in the freezer which will be turned into a quiche with the addition of some eggs,cheese,diced onion and a few bits of crispy bacon That will do for several lunches next week with a small salad

JackieO xx
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 8th Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 6,694 Thanks
    Ilona
    I'm just back from three days, two nights in Derbyshire. Stayed at a Youth Hostel, B & B and evening meal. The portions sizes were far too much. I asked for a small breakfast, it wasn't small and I couldn't eat it all. Wrapped some of it up and took it with me for the day's walk. Next morning I asked for half of what they gave me the day before.

Evening meal a MASSIVE pizza. I could only manage half of it, took the rest with me. I did manage to eat most of the three bean chili but it was a struggle. Oh how I hate to leave food on a plate uneaten, I was brought up to always eat everything given. This is why I don't eat out, too much food. Now I need to get back to my normal veggie eating and no more stodge.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 8th Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    crazytree
    That pork and stuffing thingy sounds really nice JackieO. Another idea I have to "borrow"! Pork on its own can be a bit dull.
    I've not made my crumble yet, we had rice pudding instead last night coz people have been talking about it on here! It was delicious.
    Tonight's dinner (and tomorrow's) is a rice and chicken thingy with prawns and feta. It sounds and tastes more expensive than it is, it's mainly rice! But we don't have it very often and it is sooo nice. Looking forward to that.
    Shopping later today in preparation for next week. Hate supermarkets at the weekend. If I can avoid adding to the crowds I will!
    Have a great day!
    Tx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Dec 17, 5:49 PM
    • 15,604 Posts
    • 127,387 Thanks
    JackieO
    I found doing a piece of pork fillet in the crumb coating means its quite filling and really easy so you don't need as much meat.I agree pork can be a bit bland as a rule after Christmas is the best time to buy all the fancy stuffings at a reduced price.I had some smashing ones last year in January and they don't 'go off' or anything daft Great to make up into stuffing balls and freeze for popping out a few to liven up a couple of chicken thighs of a mid week cheapie roast as well.

I have coated them in the stuffing mix at times as well.Even a coupls of decent sausages will go further with the stuffing crumb crust
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    • 3,447 Posts
    • 41,038 Thanks
    maryb
    I buy carrots most weeks and usually don't use a whole bag (can't buy loose where I shop) This week because it has been so cold the leftovers from last week are still around and the ones from the week before are also still OK. So I peeled them, cut them up and blanched them in my pressure cooker. They are now open freezing on a tray and I will bag them up and give them to my sister who lives alone and can't get through veggies in the quantities they sell them in
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Dec 17, 6:18 PM
    • 4,732 Posts
    • 35,101 Thanks
    joedenise
    I can buy loose carrots in my local T*sco's but they are actually cheaper pre-packed - why? This week they were 65p a kilo loose and 47p for a kilo bag.

Denise
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    • 15,604 Posts
    • 127,387 Thanks
    JackieO
    Utter madness sometimes in the supermarkets isn't it no sense in their pricing structures at all. My local pet shop which had been also selling beautiful free range large chicken eggs has just closed down as the rent and rates have been increased by 25% and its just not viable any more so Mr T's Metro will win more customers (not me though ,but I can drive )but for those who cannot get further out to make a choice they will just have to suffer it ,So far in our village the fresh g'grocers has closed, and now the pet shop even more charity shops I expect.
    • givememoney
    • By givememoney 9th Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 1,236 Thanks
    givememoney
    I can buy loose carrots in my local T*sco's but they are actually cheaper pre-packed - why? This week they were 65p a kilo loose and 47p for a kilo bag.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Yes I've often asked myself the same question. What I've started buying in Tesco is their pack of mixed veg. Costs £1 and you get swede, parsnip, couple carrots and an onion..
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 10th Dec 17, 12:10 AM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,235 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Pleased with Lidl's spinach. I'd resigned myself to a smaller portion of Spinach and Lentil Daal as the BBD was November 26th. Every leaf was perfect. I know my fridge-freezer is good, but that was impressive.
    Rather than process one onion for it with my Zyliss pull-action chopper, I processed a whole bagful of very finely chopped onions.

After a generous portion of lovely daal, I had two portions to freeze as a stir-through pasta sauce (it works, trust me). I also had three ziplock portioned bags of ready-chopped onions for cottage pie, curry, burgers, creamy salmon pasta, Bolognese, more daal, or just about anything that uses a finely chopped onion.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 10th Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 4,732 Posts
    • 35,101 Thanks
    joedenise
    Yes I've often asked myself the same question. What I've started buying in Tesco is their pack of mixed veg. Costs £1 and you get swede, parsnip, couple carrots and an onion..
    Originally posted by givememoney
    As there are 2 of us one of these packs wouldn't be enough veg. I use loads of onions every week - seems to go in most meals throughout the week.

Denise
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Dec 17, 11:31 AM
    • 18,553 Posts
    • 47,761 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I buy carrots most weeks and usually don't use a whole bag (can't buy loose where I shop) This week because it has been so cold the leftovers from last week are still around and the ones from the week before are also still OK. So I peeled them, cut them up and blanched them in my pressure cooker. They are now open freezing on a tray and I will bag them up and give them to my sister who lives alone and can't get through veggies in the quantities they sell them in
    Originally posted by maryb
    If I've got carrots leftover I cook them, mash them and freeze them to add to mashed potato for a shepherd's pie topping.
    It's a good way to up your 5 a day.

They can thaw a bit watery though so I defrost them separately from the potato and squeeze them out well (a great way to take out your frustration on somebody ) then combine the topping.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Dec 17, 1:05 PM
    • 15,604 Posts
    • 127,387 Thanks
    JackieO
    Used up some peeled spuds last night with dinner for mash and had enough mash left over for five decent sized balls and they are in the freezer now saves me time during rthe week if I fancy mash with my dinner. This week I am at a Book club party tomorrow ,Quiz night Tuesday ,U3A party Wednesday, will be eating at home Thursday and Friday but at Dds for DGS 22nd birthday on Saturday and out next Sunday so really only two dinner to cook this week, best of all no shopping to buy my food bill so far this month has been £12.71 the freezer is going down nicely now and I am hoping to defrost it before Christmas .I used up the tail end of a bottle of honey with cinnamon last night for pudding, I mixed a diced apple and some low fat greek yogurt with the honey and it was gorgeous .
    I shall be using up some of the grape jelly I have in the fridge with the yogurt this week mixed together its no different than one of those 'mueller corner type things smash up a bit of granola in it as well and Roberts your Mothers brother

Have a good sunday chums

JackieO xx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Dec 17, 8:59 AM
    • 15,604 Posts
    • 127,387 Thanks
    JackieO
    Book club 'do' today so not a lot of cooking to be done I will do with maybe an omelette tonight after filling up at the 'do' , must fly so much to get done today

Have a good 'un

JackieO xx
    • MankyVegSoup
    • By MankyVegSoup 11th Dec 17, 1:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MankyVegSoup
    Hi everyone,

Long time lurker and loving all your tips.

I have a question about reheating. I batch make soup and generally freeze in 2 person portions. But I'm often the only one having soup. I also never remember to take it out the freezer in time so reheat from frozen. I'll eat half, put the rest in the fridge and have the remainder the next day (or the day after). So far I haven't had any problems but I suspect this isn't recommended. Do any of you also do this or should I get organised and freeze single portions (which will mean buying more containers and take up more space).
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 11th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    • 7,864 Posts
    • 26,688 Thanks
    Primrose
    Hi everyone,

Long time lurker and loving all your tips.

I have a question about reheating. I batch make soup and generally freeze in 2 person portions. But I'm often the only one having soup. I also never remember to take it out the freezer in time so reheat from frozen. I'll eat half, put the rest in the fridge and have the remainder the next day (or the day after). So far I haven't had any problems but I suspect this isn't recommended. Do any of you also do this or should I get organised and freeze single portions (which will mean buying more containers and take up more space).
    Originally posted by MankyVegSoup
    I do as you do, freeze my home made soup in one pint plastic milk bottles (which makes 2 reasonable portions) and thaw them out by immersing the bottle in a bowl/saucepan of hot water, or placing it in a container in the microwave.

if I only want half the bottle. I either shake half the contents into a small saucepan to reheat it, or if itís a thick soup, I heat the whole lot, and when itís cool, pour the remainder back into the milk bottle to store in the fridge. It will then store safely for two or three days although I always make a point of trying to use it up the following day.

Been doing this for 20+ years. Still safely here ! And the plastic milk bottle containers come free of charge and can be used endless times ! I even pour boiling water onto them in a empty saucepan to thaw them out and they never split either!
    • MankyVegSoup
    • By MankyVegSoup 11th Dec 17, 1:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MankyVegSoup
    Thanks Primrose.

And good tip about the milk bottles - although we tend to buy 4 pinters as we get through a ridiculous amount of milk for a family of 2!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Dec 17, 5:03 PM
    • 15,604 Posts
    • 127,387 Thanks
    JackieO
    I often freeze several portions in zip lock bag,s and when defrosted I use what I need then put the rest in the fridge for later. I have never had a problem even if its 2-3 days later
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,986Posts Today

10,224Users online

Martin's Twitter