Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,600Posts
    • 127,364Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you like this you might also like our ZeroWaste and Recycle Week discussions.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 83
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 2nd Dec 17, 8:47 PM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 107,686 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Many thanks Jackie; that's been safely snagged onto my Recipes flash drive for when I feel well enough to make it.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 3rd Dec 17, 12:35 AM
    • 15,600 Posts
    • 127,364 Thanks
    JackieO
    Whizzed up to Bluewater to get a couple of things for my DD's for Christmas and treated myself to L'occitane Verbena shower gel,present from me to me it will last me for ages as its a bit pricey, but you only need a little bit and it smells gorgeous and it came from my 'Happy Cash Stash' which is for special treats.

Got home to find my youngest DD had dropped a bag of scones off as where she works next door there is a small cafe, and the lady hates to chuck things out so DD had some, and left some for me I have four in the box for over the next two days, and the rest were wrapped in cling film individually and frozen.

On the way back from B'water I stopped off at the local Sava centre and had a reviving cuppa and muffins (with discount from my DGS Jack in the cafe where he works, and I stayed and read today's paper and waited for him to give him a lift home to save his bus fare, and he came away with two long left -over subway rolls one in brown with egg mayo and salad which I took home and his one which was cheese and pickle ,both free as they were left from today's stock.So I saved mine until later this evening as I was still full from my muffin and had it for supper

The steak I had got out for dinner from the freezer is still in the fridge not quite defrosted so it will do for Monday nights dinner as tomorrow I have my sunday evening meal at DDs.

Still haven't been to the supermarket yet but I did get a couple of christmas gifts which I will wrap tomorrow

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 3rd Dec 17, 4:37 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 4,339 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Jackie: Your recipe for boiled fruit cake is very similar to one I have, but mine doesn't have as much fruit in it or mixed spice/glace cherries either, so yours sounds much nicer! We've decided not to have a Christmas cake this year - not because we don't like it, more that it "lingers" until well into the following year. I know it keeps for ages but, come summer, we really don't fancy it so I may well try your version instead. I have some glace cherries and dried apricots in the cupboard that I can chuck in too. I love doing cakes that you make and mix in a pan before baking; so much easier - and quicker too.

Finished off the last two hm scones the other day; they were going a bit dry but were fine after I'd toasted them and topped with a generous splodge of butter. Naughty, but oh so nice.

No baking needed this week as we've still got 6 squares of ginger cake left. A couple of them will be pinged and served with custard for a quick pudding.

The freebie branded Greek yogurt I got with my last Sainsbobs order has been eaten - half with diced apple and cinnamon and the other half with its accompanying honey. It wasn't as nice as the sm's own cheaper pot but, as a freebie, it was worth trying.

Today for dinner we're having a beef stew that I did in the sc yesterday - I think it always tastes better the day after cooking. Stewing beef, onions, carrots, celery, oodles of lentils and pearl barley, plus a tin of black eye beans. We'll have it with cabbage, mash and Yorkies today and tomorrow can be a rinse & repeat day but with dumplings instead of Yorkies.

This week's meal plan is done (keeping in mind using up freezer/cupboard stores ) but there are a couple of things I need from the shops (onions, leeks, courgettes, butter). I have a routine BP check tomorrow and, as the surgery is on the way to Sainsbobs, I can make that all one trip. I should also miss the afternoon school run if I don't dawdle.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 3rd Dec 17, 4:44 PM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 107,686 Thanks
    LameWolf
    YorksLass I never do a cake for Yule; there's only the two of us, as the only family is Mr LW's sister and cousin, neither of whom I have ever even met in the 15 years we've been together.

I make four puddings, though, which work out at eight helpings each (ie four days' worth of pud for the two of us) and we have these at intervals throughout the cold months. I make them on Samhain (31st Oct) and we break out the first one on Yule.
    LameWolf
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Dec 17, 7:46 AM
    • 15,600 Posts
    • 127,364 Thanks
    JackieO
    defrosted steak for dinner tonight with left over mash and cabbage from the fridge.pud will be some of the rice pud I made over the weekend with the tail end of the opened pot of single cream from Saturday morning.

Pub quiz night tomorrow night so no dinner to dig from the freezer today Only shopping I could do with at the moment is eggs and tomatoes,but not urgently needed so no shopping for me today. I will toast a couple of scones that DD gave me on Saturday for breakfast this morning and lunch will be soup and crackers and cheese,with a piece of fruit.

Using up what I have instead of going to buy more is not only a way of streeetching out the pennies but I am not that keen on shopping anyway so ,especially at this time of the year, quite happy to stay away from the shops .Much nicer to be indoors in the warm and dry with a pot of coffee and the tree lit up and my library book and feet up

Have a good Monday chums

JackieO xx
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 4th Dec 17, 12:59 PM
    • 8,807 Posts
    • 21,099 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2017/12/co-op-stores-to-sell-food-past-its-best-before-date-for-10p

Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 4th Dec 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 10,142 Thanks
    Florence J
    I've had a thought, through the app 'OLIO' which I use (which is a food waste prevention/food sharing network) you can sign up to their 'Zero Waste Weekly' email which I always look forward to.

It is a nice email that comes out weekly with links to sustainable shops, labels, food etc, and it shares news from around the world about things countries are doing to prevent waste, or it has links to recycled products.

If anyone is interested you can sign up here :

https://olioex.com/get-inspiring-zero-waste-news-weekly/
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2110.15
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 4th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 7,863 Posts
    • 26,683 Thanks
    Primrose
    I applaud the Coo’s ethics but wonder if it will make much difference to their profits. The other supermarkets may watch the results closely before they follow their example.
    • Pandora
    • By Pandora 4th Dec 17, 11:15 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    Pandora
    Phew!! I've done it!! I've read the whole thread (all 83 pages!!) and now I am joining in, so hello everyone!!

I grew up poor and my Mum somehow managed to work miracles with what little we had so I never felt deprived and because of her I learnt soooooo many tips and tricks to make everything stretch out as far as possible. My Mum is my best friend and we encourage and help each other to keep going when we're both on shoestring budgets. We often split things bought in bulk and swap bits and bobs as we do like some different things. For example, I can't stand green peppers so if I get one in a multipack that goes straight to Mum so it doesn't get wasted When she used to go to Slim World, if she won the raffle/slimmer of the week basket she would often find tins of baked beans in there (otherwise known as food of the devil!! ) so I would always get those and all the packets of micro rice and other carp that she wouldn't eat If either of us sees something the other loves or a much used item on special offer then we will get it for each other. If I give her food and she has nothing to swap then I get some of her eggs (5 chooks in the back garden )

I always batch cook things like bolognaise/chilli/curry/ratatouille so I have some in the freezer for another day which means I can use up mountains of veg and save it from going off Have recently got into making soups again so that's even more veg saved from the bin I mostly stick to Quorn mince but I do love chicken and a bit of fish every now then. I've never really learnt to cook meat (apart from chicken) and to be honest, I'm a bit scared of storing/freezing/reusing it so I tend to just get small portions of fresh chicken so I can use it all at once. Any advice on chicken would be much appreciated as I know it would be LOADS cheaper to get a whole one and roast it but as I'm only cooking for one, there is a LOT left over once I've scoffed the skin and legs!! Haha!!

Have been working on eating up stuff from the cupboards as when I unpacked from moving I checked expiry dates so I could put the oldest stuff at the front and some of the dates show I've moved house with the same items 3 times and over 150 miles!!!

The 'main' food cupboard is about 2/3 full now instead of bursting at the seams but I've gone nowhere near the 'extras' cupboard as looking in there is just horrific!! Multiple packets of rice, tubs of gravy and other instant sauce granules, lots of things that I bought for recipes that I never made..... The freezer is pretty full of random things as well although I have made a dent in that!! The fridge is pretty full as I went shopping a couple of days ago but it's mostly veg that will get cooked and turned into meals and frozen over the next few days. And yes, I'm going to use up the old stuff first

So anyway, that's me!! Lots of food in the house and a very tight budget this month (especially as I'm hosting Christmas for me, Mum and my cousin) so hoping joining in here and attempting the Grocery Challenge again will get me sorted out!!

You lot seem to have come up with marvellous ways of using up things and I look forward to more of your kitchen adventures
    DFW Nerd 145
    LBM - June 2006 - DEBTS - £19,261.08
    Nov 2017 - £10,644.92!!
    Debt free date - 13/08/2022 - the day before I turn 40!!!!!
    Grocery Challenge - Dec 2017 £30.63/£150
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 5th Dec 17, 6:19 AM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 10,142 Thanks
    Florence J
    What a lovely post, Pandora, I hope you enjoy the thread.

Had a very sad looking parsnip in the fridge yesterday. I think even in the not too distant past I may have thrown it away. Couldn't bear to do it yesterday so grated the parsnip and a carrot and mixed with an egg and a bit of flour to make 3 little rosti type things which I had with some remaining BBQ sauce which went out of date last month.

Dinner was a tin of OOD plum tomatoes and sardines and black olives to make a cheap puttanesca sauce with some spaghetti. I meant to use up the last of the cherry tomatoes as well but had forgot.
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 5th Dec 17, 8:58 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    crazytree
    Welcome Pandora. This is a lovely thread, people have been so helpful to me! My best advice is to go through the freezer and write a menu plan using up what is in there and the cupboard. That'll mean you don't have to go shopping ( except maybe for fresh veg?)for a while and save you some money.
    For chicken you are right that it's far cheaper to buy a whole one. You could cook it as normal and freeze the cooked meat in portions to add to sauces or risottos or pies or whatever! Or you could buy a whole one and get the butchers to portion it up for you and freeze it uncooked. It's also pretty cheap to buy meat portions prefrozen in Farmfoods or Iceland although the chicken especially contains a lot of water.
    FlorenceJ that is really creative and actually sounds really tasty! I'd have probably just stuck it in the freezer "for soup" at sometime in the distant future. The rosti idea is fab!
    This week I've made a cake from stores to stop me buying carp from the vending machine at work. That'll need finishing up today. I made instant porridge but put too much cinnamon in it. I need to make another batch to add to it to sort of dilute the cinnamon-iness so I can stop taking peanut butter sandwich to work and have a proper breakfast there instead!
    Just me for dinner tonight so probably macaroni cheese ( which Himself hates). And I need to sort through the fridge to see what needs using up.
    Hope you are all well
    Tx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    • 15,600 Posts
    • 127,364 Thanks
    JackieO
    Pandora FlorenceJ and crazytree well done to you all for using up what you have I will try to make something out of very little and at times its a case of thinking laterally I remember once years ago when my DDs were young they wanted pizza and cash being in short supply I made the base and topped it with a scrunched up tin of sardines in tomato sauce then sliced a tomato over the top and sprinkled cheese on top of that They loved it, but if I had said I only have a tin of sardines and a bit of cheese and a couple of tomatoes in the fridge there would have been groans its thinking about how you can make basic stuff look and taste better.

A very cheap and cheerful filler-upper is layers of thinly sliced onion, part cooked boiled potato sliced on top and grated cheese in a casserole, slice a tomato or to over the top and sprinkle some more cheese over that and bake in the oven until cooked and bubbly.Costs buttons but will fill hollow legs of teenagers I would scrunch a packet of crisps to tiny bits and sprinkle on top to give a crumbly topping a bit of bite

Lentils will make a pate to spread on crackers or bread or soup to warm you up with a couple of diced carrots chucked in and I always dice up a couple of small spuds when making soup to thicken it up a bit .

Every little helps

JackieO x
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Dec 17, 12:04 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    Stoke
    Batch cooking is definitely brilliant. I used to do it a bit more when I was with my partner. Nowadays, I don't see it as quite as useful. It is a way of using up nearly bad food for sure, but I tend to ensure I eat nearly bad food by actually planning to eat certain foods on certain days.

One thing I've started doing lately however, is cooking two portions of the same meal (if I have double the ingredients). One for dinner, one for lunch at work. Sounds so simple, but it's actually really nice to eat some decent food at work. Some of the rubbish I've eaten in the office in the past..... yikes. Also means I know my food is being used and there's no need to worry about waste.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 5th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 10,142 Thanks
    Florence J
    Just made the amaretto and chocolate cake that Nigella made on the latest episode of her TV series. Didn't have the ground almonds needed for the recipe, but did have flaked almonds. A quick whirl in the food processor and I had ground almonds
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 5th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 107,686 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Had a very sad looking parsnip in the fridge yesterday. I think even in the not too distant past I may have thrown it away. Couldn't bear to do it yesterday so grated the parsnip and a carrot and mixed with an egg and a bit of flour to make 3 little rosti type things which I had with some remaining BBQ sauce which went out of date last month.
    Originally posted by Florence J
    Ooh, that sounds really nice; do you mind if I swipe the idea?

Pandora I can't cook meat, either. I sort of know how to do chicken pieces in the microwave, as I had to do that for my little dog towards the end of her life; but anything else is totally beyond me. When a canine guest brought two little packets of mince for her dinners over the weekend she stayed, which had to be cooked for her, Mr LW did them as I hadn't a scooby how to cook mince.
    LameWolf
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 5th Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 10,142 Thanks
    Florence J
    Swipe away LameWolf
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Dec 17, 4:41 PM
    • 15,600 Posts
    • 127,364 Thanks
    JackieO
    Spicy chicken breasts and mash and veg for dinner tonight I am in need of some stodgy comfort food today Rice pud for afters
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 6th Dec 17, 5:10 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 28,179 Thanks
    maddiemay
    During a kitchen cupboard tidy yesterday I found red kidney and borlotti beans that are around 2 years past date, does anyone think it worth my cooking some in pressure cooker or are they likely to be too tough by now?

I took some cod, haddock, prawns and filo pastry from freezer and made some most tasty fish pies. Need to see what other delights are in need of using up, hopefully some frozen pastry to make mince pies for OH (better check if any mincemeat lurking in cupboard before shopping day Friday.
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 6th Dec 17, 5:41 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    Skintmama
    I am sure that the beans will be fine. Soak them and then cook them in your pressure cooker. Freeze in freezer bags and make use of them as and when you need to.

As I decant my dried beans into jars I have no idea how old they are; they are always absolutely fine once soaked and cooked.
    GC March £100/£100 GC April £140.47/£150
    GC May £150.16/£150 GC June £187.40/£200
    GC July £190/£200 GC August £200
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Dec 17, 7:59 AM
    • 15,600 Posts
    • 127,364 Thanks
    JackieO
    I too would soak them probably overnight then cook them and as long as they are soft I think they will be fine. like skintmama I decant stuff into jars as its easier to store and I am just almost finishing my huge 5 kilo bag of lentils that I bought 18 months ago for silly money on offer cost me £2.50 and its been used in so many dishes.I shall be sad to see it finish as its been like an old friend in a large stash of lock'n'lock boxes and kilner jars but I have a lot more of my storage stuff back now .

JackieO xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,692Posts Today

8,338Users online

Martin's Twitter