Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,611Posts
    • 127,504Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you like this you might also like our ZeroWaste and Recycle Week discussions.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 82
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 29th Nov 17, 10:03 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Im still here - honest!
    Hiya all
    Sorry not to have posted for a while - we had a bereavement in the family which has caused my already chaotic life to go into complete anarchy!

mcculloch29 awesome recipie - im defo pinching that one
    Jackie O brilliant finds in Morrisons!

We are trying to get back to some sort of meal planning again. Last week I was left on my own with the baby (21 months old) and managed not to go shopping bar once - and that was only for Bonios for the dogs! Friends did shop for loo rolls and mince for me but even then my total bill came to under £5. This was using up potatoes (tuna and sweetcorn filling - trying to empty freezer!); Pasta and stratecallia sauce (tomato thickened with egg); veggie curry with rice; baked potatoes cut and turned into wedges with bacon and beans; spag bol (using the mince - half of which is in freezer to make lasagne later - so much for emtying the freezer! ) Spanish omblette; freezer dive night!

Such a relief to know that I can go back to my old £5 a week if ever I need to - I didnt even touch the vast reserves of lentils et al that are haunting the cupboards!
    Frugaling onward folks!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 29th Nov 17, 10:26 PM
    • 1,800 Posts
    • 10,192 Thanks
    Florence J
    Has anyone ever tried making cauliflower rice? Not sure how to do it or whether it's worth it?
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    I occasionally make Cauliflower Rice. The best way to make it is to roast it. Process the cauliflower in a food processor, then place in a roasting tray and lightly cover it with oil and cook for about 25 minutes on a medium heat until just the edges are beginning to brown.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2118.64
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 29th Nov 17, 10:28 PM
    • 1,800 Posts
    • 10,192 Thanks
    Florence J
    About cauliflower rice, If you are looking for something that tastes identical to rice you won't find it with cauliflower rice, but it does have a nice stodgy comforting taste to it.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2118.64
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 29th Nov 17, 10:32 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 7,917 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Thank you, Florence. I'll perhaps give it a go. I don't mind different textures or veggie food although I haven't had much in recent years.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 30th Nov 17, 7:42 AM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 27,461 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I'm too lazy to make cauli into cauli rice. I just cook it, bash it with a fork and tip whatever I'm eating on top.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 30th Nov 17, 9:26 AM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,738 Thanks
    Primrose
    Had it once and it was fine. Good for increasing the amount of vegetables in your diet. Found it did ,t seem to soak up juices as much as rice did though. Had it in a restaurant but imagine it is cooked, drained in a colander and then mashed with one of those hooped wire potato mashers.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 30th Nov 17, 12:29 PM
    • 2,747 Posts
    • 4,016 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Cauliflower makes a great egg fried rice.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 30th Nov 17, 2:58 PM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 127,504 Thanks
    JackieO
    Had some rice cakes with pate, and half a tin of green pea and mint soup I found at the back of the cupboard for lunch,DD gave it to me as she had bought a couple of tins and she wasn't keen ,but its not too bad I certainly wouldn't have bought it, as I prefer to make my own soup as a rule but I am running short of fresh veg and its too cold to trail to the shops to buy some I'll wait until probably Saturday.I'll have the other half tomorrow for lunch

Did well using up some more of my freezer stuff this month and have only spent around £48 odd on groceries this month so about £12 to go into the holiday fund tomorrow for next years holidays

At the moment I just need tomatoes, carrots and a few root veg to tide me over the weekend,as I have several apples in stock I may get some parsnips as it makes delicious apple and parsnip soup, one of my favourites and is cheap as chips to make

I have some small odd size bits of steak in the freezer and also some asparagus so I think I will have that for Saturday nights dinner as a treat.

Frugally onwards chums

JackieO xx
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 30th Nov 17, 4:05 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 28,204 Thanks
    maddiemay
    A forage in the baking cupboard has yielded dried apricots, sultanas, chopped nuts all with small amounts left in the packets, these have been added to the other ingredients needed and will provide a boil and bake fruit cake for OH either later or tomorrow. Dribs and drabs in packets are annoying, but I am far too old style to use more than the requisite amount needed for recipes!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 30th Nov 17, 4:16 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Has anyone ever tried making cauliflower rice? Not sure how to do it or whether it's worth it?
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    Only had it once. It was just about OK but I wouldn't bother again. That said, I like cauli "as is" or with cheese sauce.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 30th Nov 17, 4:52 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 35,139 Thanks
    joedenise
    Only had it once. It was just about OK but I wouldn't bother again. That said, I like cauli "as is" or with cheese sauce.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Same here. I found it wasn't filling enough for me so always have proper rice!

Denise
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 30th Nov 17, 10:18 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Managing not to go shopping
    Hi
    So we are trying not to shop until Saturday. Had a fun day out in Exeter and came home to find that my son had done a roast up of a butternut squash and other veg and used the last of the dill and some spring onions and put it over pasta - very yum and inventive - used up so many left overs!

Tomorrow I will suggest tea be somat with tuna so that we manage to put off going shopping till Saturday - wish me luck!
    Nite all
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 127,504 Thanks
    JackieO
    maddiemay I think I will have a shufti in the cupboard as I haven't had a boiled fruit cake for ages and I know I have more than enough stuff in the cupboards, great idea for using up bits and bobs .

Bangers and mash for dinner tonight I got the bangers out of the freezer before I went to bed last night so they are in the fridge ready and I only have to peel a few spuds,I'll do extra so the left over mash will do for tomorrow nights dinner as well.I have some brussels I found at the bottom of the fridge that will do for the veg I am definitely no going near a shop today as I have far too much to do, history club this afternoon

So jobs for today is peel some spuds bake a cake , probably list what I have in my tin cupboard as I know I have stuff there that hasn't seen the light of day for awhile ,also I am going to put a large 2 pint rice pud on to cook in my slow cooker for over the weekend. If I leave it on all day it will be nice to come into tonight

have a good day chums

JackieO xx
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 1st Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    • 8,826 Posts
    • 21,134 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi all!

I just wanted to check you'd seen this..

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2017/11/food-labelling-shake-up-to-save-shoppers-1-billion--are-you-keeping-the-right-fruit-n-veg-in-the-fridge
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 1st Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,738 Thanks
    Primrose
    Well, have you see what happens when you put bananas in the fridge ??
    I don't know anybody who has yet come up with an answer to stop them ripening too quickly.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 1st Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 28,204 Thanks
    maddiemay
    maddiemay I think I will have a shufti in the cupboard as I haven't had a boiled fruit cake for ages and I know I have more than enough stuff in the cupboards, great idea for using up bits and bobs .

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Jackie I made the cake yesterday evening, recipe said certain temp for 30 mins, turn down 10 degrees, check after a further hour, we sat down enjoying a second viewing of Julie Walters train journey in Scotland, at some point later I smelled cake!, it had been in the oven for 3hours, fortunately I had covered the top, so it was not burned. OH cut it this morning and pronounced it acceptable. Oh how I hate these brain fogs
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 1st Dec 17, 6:01 PM
    • 10,034 Posts
    • 107,755 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Maddiemay I am forever putting reminders in my phone to avoid that type of brainfog. Currently I have the kitchen timer in front of me on the coffee table, as I have tomato soup simmering and I'm too deaf to hear the timer if it's in the kitchen.

JackieO I used to make boiled cake, but mislaid the recipe yonks ago. If you could find it in your heart to post it, you'd have one very grateful Wolfy. Pretty please.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 1st Dec 17, 8:11 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Mischief Managed!
    Hiya folks

Well, we managed it!!! Not going shopping till tomorrow! Remembered that I had 500g of mince in the freezer from a YS purchase so made little Koftas (kinda like mini keebabs which I grill rather than fry. We finished up some dips and the cus cus which went with it had enough left over for DS1 to take to work tomorrow for lunch

So shopping tomorrow!

maddiemay - so glad its not just me!! Brain seems to go AWOL on a regular basis.......... when folks keep asking me about what am I doing over Christmas times i.e. can I take food for Christmas party at playgroup (to which i take my granddaughter - bless the folks that run it!) I can never remember dates + which day of the week Im supposed to be doing stuff!!

May try new recipe off Nigela - a vegan lemon cake this week as a friend who is vegan has a birthday on Monday - I'll see how busy Sunday gets!

So far planned meals include: Satay chicken; tortellini (from YS a couple of weeks ago); pulled lamb (on offer in Lidil); and lasagne (using half of a spag bol I froze last week). Then there is tuna + lentils + and cans of various varieties of beans + chick peas to go at!!! I am going away on Monday so I wont be eating all of these!

Frugaling onward
    TC
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Dec 17, 1:46 PM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 127,504 Thanks
    JackieO
    [B]

JackieO I used to make boiled cake, but mislaid the recipe yonks ago. If you could find it in your heart to post it, you'd have one very grateful Wolfy. Pretty please.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    OK this is one I have used for years

4ozs brown sugar

8ozs Marg (I use Stork block)

1lb mixed fruit (I use what ever's in the cupboard a mix of currents sultanas, raisins) etc

2 teaspoons of Mixed Spice, (again I use what's available)

half a pint of milk

this all goes into a large saucepan, and brought to the bubbling boil, stir to make sure its all incorporated, then put aside to cool for around half an hour or so, you don't want the following eggs to scramble

once cool add 2ozs of chopped up glace cherries and 2 ozs of walnuts (the nuts are optional as not everyone likes them)

beat two eggs together and add to the mixture stirring all the time

fold in the sieved 12 ozs of self-raising flour to which I had added one tea spoon of bicarbonate of soda when I am sieving it.

Mix the whole lot together with a wooden spoon (it looks like a huge rock cake mix ) turn into a greased and floured 8" deep baking tin.

tin some greased proofed paper around the tin with the edges overlapping the tin or optionally place a round of greaseproof paper on top after an hours cooking to stop the top burning. Bake for and hour and a half in the middle shelf of a pre warmed oven
    Gas no3 or 160c in electric

after an hour and a half test it by running a skewer through the middle ,if not quite done give it an extra half an hour until its cooked throughout Once cooked and cooled top with either royal Icing or marzipan or decorate with glace halved cherried and dried apricots and cover with a warm glaze of apricot jam ,leave to cool. I sometimes sprinkle extra brown sugar on top as well.

Make a jolly nice cut and come again cake for very little outlay.I have actually used it as a quick emergency Christmas cake at times when I have been a bit short of the readies

Hope you enjoy .Its one of those cakes that you can add what you like to I enjoy cinnamon and find its also nice with a diced up apple chucked in it as well if there is a apple in the bowl thats looking past its best

JackieO xx
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 2nd Dec 17, 8:42 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Lidil at last hehehehe
    Evening All

So we did a shop today - first for a week and a half! It came to £51 (for 3 adaults; two large dogs; 21 month old - who eats at least adult portion ) but on there was £10 of special offers (clothes washing goo for 99p - so we bought 2 for example) which we then will not have to buy in subsequent weeks and £5 of Christmas treats. Apart from little cheesy biscuits (huge bag from £ shop next week!) that is all of our Christmas 'naughties' bought. Currently looking for non alcoholic interesting drinks - apart from the 'Green Bottle' company and Fentimans anyone got any suggestions???

Used up the satay sauce DS1 made last week with some chicken and brocoli and noodles today for tea - Yum yum Yum!

Also cranberries on offer in Lidil and so bought them and an orange and made my own cranberry and orange sauce for Christmas! Oh yeah! Finally beginning to feel Christmassy!!

Evening all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter