Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,611Posts
    • 127,504Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you like this you might also like our ZeroWaste and Recycle Week discussions.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 81
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 23rd Nov 17, 4:39 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 35,139 Thanks
    joedenise
    That's brilliant Jackie. Bit more money to spend on your holiday next year.

Denise
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 23rd Nov 17, 6:18 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    YorksLass
    ^^^^ tinned fish....That's nothing compared to what's in my store cupboard lol
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Oh wow, that definitely puts my little hoard in the shade!

More stuff out of the freezer . I deliberately made extra mash on Sunday and used this with a small poached and flaked cod fillet to make fishcakes for last night's dinner. Tonight we're having bacon chops (two lovely thick pieces from a pack of cooking bacon), hm courgette bake squares, the last few croquettes and I think I'll chuck a couple of going-soft tomatoes in the pan too.

I had an online order delivered yesterday, mainly store cupboard items I'd run out of, or was about to, so my staples are stocked up again and will see me well into the New Year. I also bagged 3 freebies - a 6-pack of sweet chilli flavoured multigrain snacks, a pot of Greek yogurt with honey and a box of milk & plain chocolate thin cookies. All welcome. And I used a £10 MOC too, so a good value shop.

One of my items was a value punnet of mushrooms so "Soup of the Week" next week will be mushroom & herb. I'm using all the stalks with a few of the caps and calculate it will cost just over £1 for 6 portions. To keep the rest of the caps fresh, I brush off any compost, wash out and dry the punnet, put a double layer of kitchen roll in the bottom, then the caps and loosely cover them with another double layer of kitchen roll tucked down the sides. A bit like "putting them to bed". They'll last for a couple of weeks or so in the fridge before going wrinkly - but they'll be used up long before that stage!

I noticed the 4-pt of milk had gone up 10p - not a huge increase in this day and age, and I still find it good value for money (£1). Have to admit though, my cynical side tells me it won't be going to the dairy farmer.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 24th Nov 17, 9:10 AM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 127,504 Thanks
    JackieO
    YorksLass we are definitely sisters from an other mister as I too 'tuck' my mushrooms in to bed to keep them My children used to think it a hoot at Mum's ways to keep food a bit longer,but getting hold of m'rooms and apart from soup with the stalks and a couple of caps we do virtually the same thing and I thought it was me just doing what my late Mum taught me to do Bless her she never owned a fridge or freezer, yet we all survived and lived to tell the tale

My 'fish' week is going well, and today I will have tuna and sweetcorn salad tonight for dinner and sardines on cracker bread at lunchtime You have given me an idea now and fishcakes look a possibility for tomorrow's meal and with some left over for the freezer.

I have a yen for a rice pud so I think I will make a two pint one using evaporated milk in the slow cooker and leave it on all day that will do for several puddings over the next few days. I will sometimes have a bowl at lunchtime instead of cheese and crackers.

Cheers chums JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 25th Nov 17, 7:22 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    YorksLass
    YorksLass we are definitely sisters from an other mister as I too 'tuck' my mushrooms in to bed to keep them My children used to think it a hoot at Mum's ways to keep food a bit longer,but getting hold of m'rooms and apart from soup with the stalks and a couple of caps we do virtually the same thing and I thought it was me just doing what my late Mum taught me to do Bless her she never owned a fridge or freezer, yet we all survived and lived to tell the tale
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Sounds like my Mum too. When first married she had no fridge, freezer, washing machine or even a vaccuum cleaner - not that we needed one as we didn't have carpets . All the floors were covered in lino that was scrubbed clean every week and then buffed up with a dry cloth. We had rag rugs in the bedrooms at the sides of the beds; the two "proper" carpet pieces in the living room were regularly hoicked out to hang over the washing line and beaten to within an inch of their lives with a rattan carpet beater. I can imagine Mum did this with gusto as we lived with her widowed MiL (my grandma) and she wasn't an easy woman to live with by a long chalk. Not all bad though - at least we had a bathroom and indoor toilet, not something everyone had back then.

Well done on your ferry fares bargain, that's a fab saving!

First snow overnight, just a light covering, and very frosty this morning. I've made the mushroom & herb soup - enough for 6 portions - that I think we'll be glad of in the coming week as we're forecast daytime temperatures of only around 5C.

A few weeks ago I bought two chickens and put one of them, jointed, in the freezer. Yesterday I defrosted the carcass bit to go in the sc this morning and this afternoon picked all the meat off. I'll use 2/3 of it to do a casserole for tomorrow's dinner and the other 1/3, plus the stock, will make a risotto during the week.

Stay warm everyone and enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 26th Nov 17, 3:09 AM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,238 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Re Aldi and Lidl is it only me or because they have changed the layout of their shops there seems to be less availabilty of some of their stuff Lidls used to do a tray of chicken thighs with a southern fry sauce or a peri peri one ,now as everything seems to be in cabinets the large freezer have been done away with and there seems to be less stuff to choose from.Plus the whole layout in the newly refurbished shops is confusing and difficult to find things ??
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Both Lidl and Aldi have seasonal lines, stuff that isn't there all the year round, and with the Christmas goods coming in, some regular stuff will have been edged out.

Thanks for the lovely comment on the pilchard squares 'recipe', JackieO, it's barely a recipe, it's so simple. I'm trying to think where it came from.

Edit. Fell asleep before posting, and have woken up, hence 3 am post!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 26th Nov 17, 2:49 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 10,188 Thanks
    Florence J
    Getting a bit of wiggle room in a drawer of the freezer, it is the smallest drawer though. Have used up all my frozen salmon and making good headway on the frozen bananas. I've decided I'm not allowed to buy any 'fresh' bananas until all my frozen one's are used up.

Going to try and drag OH away from the TV so we can meal plan for the week.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2110.15
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 26th Nov 17, 6:38 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    YorksLass
    This week's meal plan, with everything coming from the freezer/cupboards

S - Chicken casserole, mini Yorkies, sprouts, mash
    M - Pork steaks in BBQ sauce, stuffed peppers, potato wedges
    Tu - Stir fry beef, onion & green peppers in black bean sauce, noodles
    W - Chicken & mushroom risotto
    Th - Sausage & onion casserole, mash, carrots, sprouts
    F - Chip shop fish, mushy peas
    S - Seafood platter

I find it so much easier with a plan, although it isn't set in stone and I can always find an alternative if need be. It helps with the forward thinking too. As an example, last night we had hm curry & rice so I did a bit of extra rice for tomorrow's stuffed peppers. I've already defrosted the pork steaks and will marinade them in the BBQ sauce in the morning. The extra mini Yorkies from today are in the freezer for next weekend.

A pot of hummus made this morning will be most welcome with crackers tonight if we fancy a TV snack. That's if I don't fall asleep first. Some noisy bu88ers down the road were partying hard last night and didn't seem to know when enough was enough. Last heard at 2.40 am. Tbf, doesn't happen often but I'm thankful we don't live next to them!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 26th Nov 17, 9:50 PM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 70,578 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hi all, we had delicious roast lamb with the trimmings tonight. I have plated up and frozen the leftover veg with some meat and gravy but there is some meat left.

OH won't eat cold roast lamb, and I have to admit it isn't my favourite. I thought about making some kind of shepherds pie - I don't have a mincer but do have a magimix. Can I just chop the meat really small and make as usual?
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Nov 17, 8:04 AM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 127,504 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning fellow frugallers and LFHW'ers ,well today I have a couple of chicken thighs out of the freezer to cook and they will be done in the remoska with some cajun spice sprinkled over them,once cooked and cold they will go into the fridge for tomorrows lunch as today I am off out to lunch with my oldest friend.she is driving down from Dartford as we like to have the occasional lunch out and its her birthday next week so we don't bother with presents just a decent lunch out and natter together. We ,at our age have most of what we want or need anyway and we prefer to do this .

I shall be going to take my youngest Dd Christmas shopping this Wednesday as she has the day off and is still not driving at the moment as she is still having to use a crutch to walk.We look a fine pair as I too use a stick to walk with

Hope you all have good day
    Must fly as I want to whizz the hoover round before my friend gets here

Cheers chums xx
    • maryb
    • By maryb 27th Nov 17, 8:38 AM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 41,060 Thanks
    maryb
    VJs mum, that's exactly what I do. I made shepherd's pie last week and I had made an anchovy and rosemary marinade for the roast so had half a tin of anchovies left over. I added that to the shepherd's pie and OMG it was uhMAYzing!!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 27th Nov 17, 9:15 AM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,738 Thanks
    Primrose
    Chopping the lamb up really fine will work perfectly. We have some left over lamb shoulder today so shepherds pie will be on the menu too. We do put a little grated matured cheddar cheese in with the mashed potato and a sprinkle on top too to make the topping crispy.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 27th Nov 17, 5:36 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 2,123 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I made a big batch of fridge bottom soup this morning and added a large dollop (technical term) of what I believed to be red pepper puree, but on tasting found it was chilli pepper puree and is far too hot. Got to try and salvage it, so far have added mor veg stock and some cream and have eaten a bowl each for lunch, however, I have IBS and have to eat spicy food only occasionally.

Any suggestions please?
    Originally posted by maddiemay

you could freeze it in small portions, label it as hot and use for jambalaya or something where a bit of spice is fab but the rice and other bits might equal it out a bit.
    also label the paste... EMERGENCY USE ONLY!!!!!!!
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160 oct 151.56/160 nov 141.30/150
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 27th Nov 17, 7:59 PM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 70,578 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Reporting back - the shepherds pie was 'lish OH had cooked the lamb quite pink, so it easily withstood a further cook. I added some red lentils to the lamb and onion and it made three portions. So a £5 piece of lamb did 4 roast dinners and 3 shepherds pies..

I put the meat in the food processor and 'pulsed' it for about a minute, you wouldn't have known it wasn't mince.
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 27th Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 10,188 Thanks
    Florence J
    Used up a lot of things in an indian daal I made today. I had it with cauliflower rice. I didn't want to waste the leaves so chopped them up and added them to the daal. It used up the last of my brown lentils and my ginger/garlic paste too. I have enough for 2 more portions.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2110.15
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 27th Nov 17, 9:37 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 28,204 Thanks
    maddiemay
    you could freeze it in small portions, label it as hot and use for jambalaya or something where a bit of spice is fab but the rice and other bits might equal it out a bit.
    also label the paste... EMERGENCY USE ONLY!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by purpleybat
    Thank you, ate some with yoghurt in and was tasty, but OH said it gave him indigestion, so thought freezing and adding smaller amounts to other dishes a good idea.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th Nov 17, 9:10 AM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 127,504 Thanks
    JackieO
    I remembered to take some diced up cooked lamb from the freezer yesterday morning and I have a tiny kenwood mincer in the cupboard that I ideal for mincing and grinding stuff up (cost me about £10.00 a couple of years ago ) great for mincing up smaller amounts .So I minced said lamb up and added some diced onion and gravy , and cooked it up made two ready meal cottage pies complete with cheesy mash on top They are now back in the freezer for when I don't have a lot of time to cook an evening meal.Tonight I am at the pub as its quiz night so no cooking for me tonight ,and tomorrow night I am at a volunteers charity night knees up so no cooking tomorrow either (its a freebie as a thank you )
    Yesterdays lunch out was delicious and including two soft drinks came to £16 for two which I thought was reasonable for a two course meal .Its a local Greene-King pub which do special offers for old biddys like myself and my friend We had a jolly good natter as well .
    Onwards and upwards chums ,I am making some peanut butter cookies today for the boys to use up the half jar in the cupboard

Cheers, JackieO xx
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 28th Nov 17, 9:39 AM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 70,578 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I have a ton of root veg to use up so I am going to make a whole load of root veg bakes, crumbles and casseroles. I will probably cook up one base, freeze separately and then do different things with it as and when.

I have 4 assorted squashes, loads of leeks, some sweet potato, celeriac, onions, celery, carrots. We are trying to eat a lot less meat so this will make life easier - having some bases stored.
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 29th Nov 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 7,917 Thanks
    kboss2010
    My l/o meals this week include:
    - h/m cheese, gammon, onion & pea quiche
    - freezer spag bol
    - mince & tatties
    - haggis,neeps & tatties
    .... my aim next week is to spend less than £10 on a shop & start emptying the freezer again.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 29th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,738 Thanks
    Primrose
    Need to bring forward my New Year’s resolution to update the inventories for the kitchen and garage freezers. So easy to forget what you’ve got stored and if you have to half empty a big freezer to find something it will never be found.

A shelf by shelf inventory worked well but in the hassle of everyday life it has got neglected and prevented the freezers from being my conscience joggers so they have not been emptied as quickly as they might have been.

Must do better!
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 29th Nov 17, 10:00 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 7,917 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Has anyone ever tried making cauliflower rice? Not sure how to do it or whether it's worth it?
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,093Posts Today

7,382Users online

Martin's Twitter